Name: [008] Kyran Dale
Description: I'm one of the co-founders of Showmedo and an academic researcher by profession. My peripatetic path has taken me from a Philosophy degree via Artificial Intelligence and Evolutionary Robotics to a PhD in Neuroscience. I spent five years in a small room with a colony of reluctant bumble-bees, becomi ...

An Introduction to Event-handling [ID:018] (5/5)

in series: Python GUI Programming with wxPython

video tutorial by Kyran Dale, added 03/07

In this video we show how wxPython provides an easy way to bind user-generated events, such as choosing a menu option, to methods we provide to handle them. The procedure shown is typical of all wxPython event handling so with little effort can be extended to far more complicated projects. Future videos in this series will demonstrate more advanced event handling.

See additional information and source code in the wiki(PythonWxPythonBeginnersSeries).

• Published: Sometime before 1st March 2007 (in other words - we don't remember!)

Nice videos, i'm starting to code some guis for some programs i already have that run on cli only (both on Windows and Linux), and i'm not used to work with objects, events and that sort of stuff, but your videos are surely helping me out understanding all this

good episode, please do more.

156. Justin Penn Tue, 05 Oct 2010 09:37

Very good introduction to wxPython!

This is great I spent lots of money on books that left me hanging with no idea what going on

Great video

GREAT!

151. Joel Harp Sat, 24 Jul 2010 10:07

thanks for all your work. these videos are proving very helpful

150. christian perret Tue, 13 Jul 2010 12:59

very good introduction, please continue the series!

Great Tutorial! In wxPython, is there a way to define display with XMLs or templates?

Very nice! Thnx

147. Stephen Thu, 20 May 2010 15:06

Very useful - much easier than reading!

146. Hans Kofod Wed, 19 May 2010 02:53

excellent intro - will try out wx.

Wow it was really great... I badly wanted to know how even handlers work, I think I got a good idea about it..

144. Jozef Geze Wed, 05 May 2010 04:40

Very nice. Thank You

143. Pat Moran Sun, 02 May 2010 20:36

Very good.

Please explain more about the event and self structures.

Please explain more about how to debug the event handler during development.

good, clear explanations

I'm teaching myself to build a GUI and this has been a big help. Sometimes your mouse gets in the way though :p

so I found the videos to be a good intro to wx. would you be able to demonstrate clean separation and implementation between the coding for logic and the coding for interface? I just began playing with wxpython and am wondering how to reference classes and functions that use raw_input,result, etc. (lemme know if im totally off- or where i should look for such info) thanks!

Very good!

Nice brief introduction; thanks!

I really like these videos! helped me out a lot. Thanks!

136. Ken Swift Sun, 14 Mar 2010 15:36

Your wxPython tutorial was quite informative and well presented for a beginner such as myself that just started learning Python this week. Your presentation style is good. My motivation is to ultimately have a PDA program that will display NMEA GPS navigation waypoint and track info from a fishing depth finder on my boat. Have not been able to find existing GPS software that does what I want. Your demo of the power on wxPython will help with the graphical presentation I hope to build. Thanks

Very good tutorial - informative and helpful. Thank you!

134. John Baker Thu, 18 Feb 2010 23:04

Good job. It makes me want to get started with WxPython. Thanks!

thank you,wxpython is a powerful tools

132. Gert De Roost Wed, 10 Feb 2010 02:45

Nice and simple tutorial.

Was looking for something more intricate and at a faster pace, but I believe you'll most definitely reach beginners with this sort of material.

131. Bill from Wisconsin Tue, 09 Feb 2010 19:31

Great start on event handlers - want to dig in deeper on this topic - is there a follow-on tutorial? I'm stuck on the next step - as well as managing events from the Boa Constructor interface.

Good series - thanks for the jump start!

130. Jim Smiley Sat, 06 Feb 2010 16:22

another good tutorial

129. Johannes M. Tue, 02 Feb 2010 05:06

Quite good tutorial, thanks :)

It helps a lot. I can understand you really well due to the fact that I'm Gernan.

But the next time ... please avoid this little noise (it sounds like you're eating while recording your video tuts).

Maybe your microphone has to adjusted, I don't know :-P

But all in all ... great work !!

128. Jim Smiley Sat, 16 Jan 2010 23:27

Another good tutforial

Very precise tutorial.

The methodology is superb: there are some pre-written stuff which are easy to capture and you fill in the new material seamlessly. The clean formatting and commenting styles make

following the presentation a breeze! I hope you will continue

to create more of the stuff.

126. Julian Johnson Sat, 09 Jan 2010 01:49

Useful thanks.

Is there a way to look at the source from each excersize?

124. anonymous Thu, 24 Dec 2009 11:16

As always very informative.

123. anonymous Tue, 22 Dec 2009 11:17

Thank you very much for the introduction to python!

Great videos keep them coming!

121. anonymous Sun, 20 Dec 2009 09:19

Cool! I've been wanted to create a simple application before. I was able to do it in less than 30 min!. :)) of course, using the tutorial. :D

120. anonymous Thu, 17 Dec 2009 10:32

Thanks for these quick videos. They're clear and complete with lots of practical example code lines. A great place to start learning!

119. anonymous Mon, 14 Dec 2009 07:21

Well done. Thanks.

looking forward to next videos :)

118. anonymous Fri, 11 Dec 2009 21:04

Very good tutorial... I was working along with video and I could get in one go.

Only thing is... please move the cursor out of recording window before typing the code ... Its annoying if we cannot see what we have to type in the code. Not a major issue but can make it perfect.

117. anonymous Fri, 04 Dec 2009 17:27

Very good and clear beginner tutorial. I'm looking forward to the next one.

116. anonymous Tue, 24 Nov 2009 08:48

Most useful. Many thanks.

115. anonymous Mon, 23 Nov 2009 14:57

Thanks. That was helpful.

114. anonymous Sun, 25 Oct 2009 22:05

Great - That was really useful I was struggling to understand how to manage events in wxWidgets but this video really helped.

113. anonymous Mon, 19 Oct 2009 17:20

clear, very concise.

112. anonymous Sun, 11 Oct 2009 16:28

Thank you so much. Very Helpfull video.

111. anonymous Fri, 09 Oct 2009 13:31

Thank you very much for these tutorials! I was looking for a way to make a simple app in Python and I even started looking into VC++ (Which is horrible if you just want to do something *simple*), but then I found your videos.

Again, thanks!

110. anonymous Sun, 13 Sep 2009 11:19

Nice intro to event handlers, thanks.

109. anonymous Fri, 11 Sep 2009 20:54

easy listening, easy to assimilate, many thanks

108. anonymous Thu, 10 Sep 2009 14:57

thanks ,

you covered all the dumb questions very well

but, could you be more careful where the cursor is

i kept wondering what what under it.

Mike.

107. anonymous Fri, 28 Aug 2009 12:32

Very good and clear instructions.

106. anonymous Thu, 27 Aug 2009 10:00

I still have a problem getting my mind around the binding of an event to an event handler. It has to be that I'm still thinking linearly rather than GUI-ly. I've got to get my mind out of this rut!

105. anonymous Tue, 25 Aug 2009 08:52

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I hope there is more to come.

103. anonymous Sun, 23 Aug 2009 09:51

I got a little stuck on the last tutorial. I couldn't get OnAbout to work, and the whole app broke my "frame = MainWindow(None,-1,"Small Editor")" line, but for the most part, this tutorial was very helpful :)

102. anonymous Mon, 10 Aug 2009 20:33

Great Job Please keep up the great work.

101. anonymous Sat, 08 Aug 2009 07:59

Great!

100. anonymous Thu, 06 Aug 2009 09:12

I like it. Can't wait for the next part.

99. anonymous Sun, 02 Aug 2009 20:54

Great! Very useful in getting me oriented. Thanks!

Nice Tutorial! I'm looking forward to further Videos!

97. anonymous Tue, 28 Jul 2009 08:15

This was a very helpful introduction to demonstrate the basics. I hope to see more in the future.

One comment is that sometimes the cursor got in the way of the text on screen, so I could not read what was being typed as it was being typed.

96. anonymous Thu, 23 Jul 2009 09:20

very good and interesting. i´ll follow your othe tutorials as well.

thanks a lot

95. anonymous Mon, 20 Jul 2009 08:23

I keep leaving the same comment, but it is true so eh.

Great job.

94. anonymous Sat, 18 Jul 2009 03:16

Very good and easy to understand tutorials . Its very usefull for geginers like me. But The way the person talks makes me krazi all those stupid slurping sound he makes drives me nuts.

93. anonymous Sat, 11 Jul 2009 13:39

Thanks again. I am now ready to tackle the wxPython demo library without being completely overwhelmed.

92. anonymous Sat, 11 Jul 2009 12:07

I've completed these first 5 tuts. It gives a very good overall concept and understanding of how other controls may work, and how the code needs to be laid out.

91. anonymous Sat, 04 Jul 2009 18:26

sure made me learn it quickly

90. anonymous Tue, 30 Jun 2009 08:52

I found the five videos in this series most informative. There is plenty of explanation of the various features used, and the pace is not too fast.

89. anonymous Wed, 24 Jun 2009 21:15

good

88. anonymous Mon, 22 Jun 2009 23:02

I'll try it

87. anonymous Sun, 21 Jun 2009 13:12

tell me more !

86. anonymous Fri, 12 Jun 2009 10:12

Excellent!

Well thought out introduction to wxPython that moves at a comfortable pace. Nicely done!

85. anonymous Thu, 28 May 2009 05:51

Very clear presentation.

84. anonymous Tue, 26 May 2009 06:24

Nice videos, Kyran

I have a background from Java and it was nice to see all the similarities between gui-building in Java and using wxPython. Now I'm off to watch your video on event handling... :)

83. anonymous Sat, 23 May 2009 06:01

nice!

Great videos!

Well worth watching to get the basics of wxpython.

If you guys are ever in Sydney , my shout for a beer or few!

81. anonymous Fri, 08 May 2009 23:34

Thank you, nice video series. keep up the great work.

80. anonymous Wed, 06 May 2009 17:21

Very useful. thank you.

79. anonymous Sun, 26 Apr 2009 21:46

Really excellent introduction. Gave me exactly the jump start I was looking for. We're all adept at reading documentation--once we actually have enough to sink our teeth into. 90% of the time, I need exactly this kind of hand-holding to get me started (and to avoid the inevitable frustration of working with a new system), then I can take over from there.

I sincerely appreciate your time and effort in making this.

78. anonymous Wed, 22 Apr 2009 17:53

exelente video... muchas gracias..

77. anonymous Wed, 22 Apr 2009 17:53

exelente video... muchas gracias..

76. anonymous Wed, 22 Apr 2009 17:53

exelente video... muchas gracias..

75. anonymous Sat, 18 Apr 2009 12:35

Pretty clear

Well done!!!

73. anonymous Thu, 16 Apr 2009 14:00

this video is ok, but you go a little fast whit some explanations.... but is ok..

72. anonymous Thu, 16 Apr 2009 10:15

Good tutorial but your mouse was very annoying cause you always placed it on the sourcecode.

Lookin forward to next Tutorial !

71. anonymous Thu, 16 Apr 2009 06:41

Neat and to the point explanation. I am going to shortly use wxPython. Thanks a lot for all the videos in this section

70. anonymous Sat, 04 Apr 2009 12:36

Just what I was looking for in an introduction. I can take it from here. Thanks!

68. anonymous Mon, 23 Mar 2009 09:14

I stumbled across your video on the site. I'm an experienced wxPython developer. I wish I had seen these videos when I was starting out.

I wrote WorldStationTM in wxPython, my main product. It use the Twisted networking framework.

I am currently working on a high-level "compiler" for wxPython. This internal project takes a simple text spec file and builds an entire full-stack wxPython app. You can do advanced things like declare Notebook pages and what page a widget will be assigned to. The wigets are generated automatically via a central widget object.

All callbacks, ID's etc are generated automatically.

One of the neat things it does is that it allows the end user to rearrange GUI widgets on the fly when the program is running.

I may post an example of the program running as I get further along and see if there is an developer interest, if that's ok.

The only problem I have not definitively solved with wxPython to date is getting it to run with Twisted on the Mac platform. I am willing to pay a consulting fee for a solution to this problem.

67. anonymous Mon, 23 Mar 2009 09:14

All callbacks, ID's etc are generated automatically.

63. anonymous Thu, 19 Mar 2009 05:38

Great intro, I've just watched all 5 videos - has me up and running with 100 questions but able to sink my teeth into wxPython without the pain of reading dreary documentation.

Thanks a lot - would like more tutorials on everything else!!

60. anonymous Sun, 15 Mar 2009 00:41

Excellent tutorial. Thanks for your effort.

This is making a lot of sense.

You got my vote too!

Thanks for ur video tutorial.

57. anonymous Thu, 01 Jan 2009 10:31

Review of An Introduction to Event-handling

This series is a nice, moderately paced demonstration of creating a small program using the wxPython library as the GUI. The series requires a little knowledge about Python to make sense, but users with only a limited Python background should be able to follow along. At the present time, there are only 5 videos in the series, with more promised. At some point in the future, the author might want to include an aside to point users to reference materials for the functions and methods already covered.

And having all the original source code available from this page would be very handy

I agree with the users who said "Itl be helpful to explian why you need to put ID_ABOUT = 101 and ID_EXIT = 110 at the beginning" and about the cursor often being in the way of the text - I find the latter happens a lot in Kyran's vids. More vids in this serious would be great

54. anonymous Fri, 19 Dec 2008 06:29

more more more

53. anonymous Fri, 19 Dec 2008 06:28

Perfect work!

more more more about event handling in textlists and so on...

52. anonymous Wed, 12 Nov 2008 15:56

Very useful to understand a very baffling subject.

Itl be helpful to explian why you need to put ID_ABOUT = 101 and ID_EXIT = 110 at the beginning.

Nice little series to get the basics of wxPythons ui mechanics. Thx!

Great series. It's really helped me to get started with the Python GUIs. Thanks!

I enjoyed this series on wxPython, gives me a much better idea how gui's and dialog boxes are put together. I don't quite understand all of the code, but I don't expect to get it in one day. But this series gives me enough to go on to start playing around and having fun with creating my own text boxes. This really does help thank you very much for your hard work!!

47. anonymous Wed, 23 Jul 2008 00:25

Very useful tutorials however you go at a very slow pace, and there are some aspects of your speaking which make it hard to hear what you are saying at parts or are simply annoying. For example, you sometimes (it seemed to be more prominent in the later videos) have this annoying "lip smack" sound that actually made me not want to listen to the video any more (but I suffered through the rest of it because of the great content ;) ). Also, your voice's volume level rises and gets lower at different points of the screen cast, making it quite frustrating.

If you can work on those things - maybe go at a BIT faster pace and work on your voice (maybe drink some water?) - I think your videos would be SO much better than they (already) are!

46. anonymous Sat, 14 Jun 2008 03:16

Thanks, for this tutorial.

Try to slow down and reduce your mouse movements. They are a little hard to follow.

45. anonymous Fri, 25 Apr 2008 00:09

Review of An Introduction to Event-handling

going to subscribe for a year as soon as I can! please keep it up for us!!!! I have fallen head over heels for Python!

44. anonymous Thu, 24 Apr 2008 04:39

That was great. My only complaint was that your cursor often seems to be in the way. I was trying to copy along, but had to guess what was under the cursor.

Overall, very good. I am left wanting more! :-)

Thank you for this. You explained clearly some points that I've only seen glossed over before.

You've saved me who-knows-how-many hours and a tremendous amount of frustration. I look forward to further videos.

42. anonymous Sun, 09 Mar 2008 23:35

Take a look at http://musiclessonz.com/rebol.html for a Rebol tutorial, and http://musiclessonz.com/rebol_video_links.html for 10 hours of Rebol video tutorials.

41. anonymous Sun, 09 Mar 2008 23:28

Nice tutorial to explain wxPython! As a REBOL coder, wx code seems very lengthy to me. You could do the same thing in REBOL with this code:

view layout [across at 9x9 text bold "About" [alert "A sample editor in Rebol"] text bold "Exit" [Quit] return area]

That's the whole program :)

These were helpful, Kyran. Too bad I've got to go back and learn basic python now ;-( !

The text in early chapters which was obscured by cursor & off right hand side tripped me up too: my couple errors in typing caused socket errors in winxp, and hung idle (which persisted even on restarting idle & sent me down a googling rathole trying to figure out if wxpython had fouled up install or what. Finally determined I had to actually reboot or kill hidden wpython process to clean up the problem; then eventually found the couple of erroneous keystrokes: e.g. "." vs "_" or similar which were causing this.

I guess I learned python is sensitive to typos and a more elaborate IDE which warned about typos might protect from some of these errors.

Overall, I liked this series!

39. anonymous Sat, 01 Mar 2008 13:36

Good tutorial series! Although having trouble finding the EVT_MENU macro listed anywhere in the wxPython online docs.

38. anonymous Sat, 01 Mar 2008 13:36

---- Thanks - you saved me some time.

36. anonymous Tue, 26 Feb 2008 09:02

Hi there!

I'm fairly new to Python though I'm progressing in learing it more quickly by watching your videos here. Very big thanks for your efforts and keep up the good job pls! ^^

Viktor Vad, Budapest, Hungary

35. anonymous Fri, 22 Feb 2008 15:24

Review of An Introduction to Event-handling

hey i think your tutorial is great, clear and consise.

the only suggestion i would make is to tell the viewer what the ID_ABOUT and ID_EXIT definitions are for. You skipped this entirely, and do not mention why they are assigned to 101 and 110.

These variables are not present in the end of lecture 3, and are already present in lecture 4.

34. anonymous Wed, 20 Feb 2008 23:21

many thanks! i want to do really complex things with wxPython, but I know that starting simple and understanding the interactions is necessary, so i appreciate this. otherwise i find myself diving in too deeply with complex sample programs.

cheers!

j in Colorado, USA

33. anonymous Sun, 17 Feb 2008 09:46

Very nice, a good quick intro to wx. I would like to see more.

It would be nice if you'd place your mouse pointer out of the way, as it occasionally obscures the text.

32. anonymous Wed, 06 Feb 2008 09:57

Great.

Can you make one explaining F1.

EG, how to find stuff in the help.

I tried searching for simple stuff like

wx, MessageDialog, but I never figured it out.

Until I understand the help, I am not

really empowered.

Thanks for publishing. I typed in everything and had tons of fun.

-jim

31. anonymous Sun, 03 Feb 2008 02:52

Review of An Introduction to Event-handling

Nicely done (all 5). Very clearly presented. Sound and video excellent.

I'd love to see a presentation on SciPy+matplotlib, especially if it included the use of binary data format.

30. anonymous Mon, 14 Jan 2008 00:00

Thanks a lot, I enjoyed it. My only recommendation is to move the mouse away from text as it gets in the way when you're typing.

Asante sana , that's "thanks alot" in swahili.Never ever think that ur work iz not appreciated.Give us more , I dare u.

Thanks for making these videos. You explain how to get started with wxPython very well. The code that comes out of it is a great starting point pretty much any other wxPython application. I refer to this series and make use of the example code found in the wiki in my own series. Thanks again!

-Erik

27. anonymous Sun, 30 Dec 2007 01:12

I am just getting started with wxPython. I use PythonCard to create my interfaces now and I'm finding that I need to supliment it with the real thing from time to time. Watching an expert walk through the process has been very helpful. These videos should help me make the leap to wxPython from PythonCard in the near future. Thanks!

Very helpful for someone like me -- completely new to Python. Thanks for the effort.

Minor gripes:

1. Try to keep the mouse pointer out of the way when typing in new code

2. I could have stood the pace to be a little bit faster.

25. anonymous Wed, 19 Dec 2007 13:49

Hi Kyran,

Thank you for your excellent tutorials on wxPython. The audio quality was good and the screen readable. Overall, concise and well done.

In session #5 you mentioned that you plan to develop more sessions on other event-handling topics. I hope you do. If so, is it possible to be notified when they are available?

Thanks much and keep up the good work.

Bob Schoening, San Jose, CA

24. anonymous Wed, 28 Nov 2007 15:51

I switched to Linux from a Microsoft/Visual Basic environment. I've spent quite a bit of time looking for a way to get started programming a GUI application in Linux/Python. These videos are an excellent approach. They are simple to follow, with each building on the preceding one. Exactly what I was looking for. Thank you for taking the time to create them and keep up the good work.

-- Ian

23. anonymous Wed, 14 Nov 2007 22:57

thanks a lot for this set of videos, very helpfull and easy to understand.Keep them coming :)

Martin.

Fantastic series, many thanks!!

Anon - as the author of our 2 commercial series I have to disagree. The authors of books about Python don't give their books away for free, why should authors of screencasts be expected to only give away their results for free?

Almost all of our content is free. A small amount is commercial - these two commercial series (I created both) took a lot of time to create. If I couldn't expect to earn money from the time that I invested, I wouldn't have been able to justify creating them in the first place.

Do please check out the comments left by purchasers - you'll see that everyone who buys the series is very happy with what they learned:

I simply couldn't have created the series (they took 4 days each) if I was going to give these away for free.

There is of course no requirement that you buy our series in order to use ShowMeDo - you are very welcome just to view the free content (and there is an awful lot of it!).

If you wanted to learn about the topics that I cover in the videos but you don't want to pay then you only have to invest your own time searching the web, you'll find all the answers out there if you invest enough time.

Ian (ShowMeDo co-founder, author)

20. anonymous Thu, 25 Oct 2007 15:40

Since we all belong to open-source community, it is not appropriate to charge money for videocasts (screencasts?) about programming in Python. Please make those videocasts public. Thanks.

The pace is just about right.

I like the approach of starting simple, and successive videos building up more and more functionality.

Thanks for the video.

-- Bruce Lueckenhoff

18. anonymous Mon, 20 Aug 2007 20:55

Hi Kyran, I've just finished watching the Python event handling video, and I found it to be clear, easy to understand, and very helpful. Thanks for creating this video series, and please keep up the good work. There is sadly a lack of good quality Python video tutorials, so you excellent tutorials are greatly appreciated! Kudos. - Ryan

17. anonymous Wed, 08 Aug 2007 20:09

I have just completed the 6 lessons and they were fantastic. Not only did I learn some basic wxPython widgets, I now UNDERSTAND some OO programming. Up till now, just could not grasp. it. Thank you..................

Very good!!Thank you!

15. anonymous Tue, 17 Jul 2007 20:14

Excellent, thanks!

14. anonymous Thu, 21 Jun 2007 20:58

Thanks so much Kyran. I love to read but screencasts are even better.

This has been a great way for me to get a quick intro to wxpython

-Patrick

13. anonymous Wed, 06 Jun 2007 15:21

I like the videos, a lot! Please continue the course!!!

These were at a low enough level that even I could understand them! Keep up the good work because newbies like me need as much hand holding as possible.

Thanks for the videos.. :)

C.hak sana hidayet versin :)

10. anonymous Wed, 16 May 2007 06:17

Thanks, I find this a great way to start learning wxPython :)

9. anonymous Wed, 25 Apr 2007 18:16

Great videos Kyran!! these examples helped me become a bit more comfortable working int wxPython.

This is a wonderful resource. They make python programming accessible to everyone in a enjoyable way. Keep the videos coming.

Chris Wrote:

"to move the mouse cursor out of the way when you write a line." I agree that is distracting. But very good. I hope to see more of your WX Python Tutorials they are very good. I wished you could cover the save and load function on the scripting editor that would be very cool and useful to me.

I posted your tutorials and told everyone about WX Python on my site just to let you know.

Thanks for the videos. Very nice.

A must demo for the starters in python. It would be better to have more sessions on this.

Improved script aviable at <a href="http://wiki.showmedo.com/index.php?title=PythonWxPythonBeginnersSeries">wiki.showmedo.com (PythonWxPythonBeginnersSeries)</a>.

watched all of the wx-videos and lost all fear of the unknow wx. Great videos, thank you for doing all this work !

Small suggestions to make the videos even greater:

<ul> <li>Putting the final python scripts somewhere to see/downlad, because i was unable to copy the scripts from the video via the clipboard and i was not always fast enough to type all commands correctly while watching the video. </li> <li>Putting an link to the final script into a comment line at the start of python scripts in the video. The effect would be that i can always see the link to the final script while watching the video.</li> </ul>

Hello,

i've followed your videos and like it a lot! Thanks very much.

Would love to see more!

I just found this and it's perfect to learn wxPython, you did a very good job. I hope you continue this series of videos. The only suggestion I have is for you to move the mouse cursor out of the way when you write a line. In every video of this series you had your mouse cursor over the line you were writing at the moment and that's a bit distracting when one wants to follow what you are writing :) But that's really the only "bad" thing, other than that, it's perfect.

Kudos and Thanks for Kyran