Name: [008] Kyran Dale
Description: I'm one of the co-founders of Showmedo and an academic researcher by profession. My peripatetic path has taken me from a Philosophy degree via Artificial Intelligence and Evolutionary Robotics to a PhD in Neuroscience. I spent five years in a small room with a colony of reluctant bumble-bees, becomi ...

How to Download and Install wxPython [ID:014] (1/5)

in series: Python GUI Programming with wxPython

video tutorial by Kyran Dale, added 03/07

Here we take you through the simple steps required to have wxPython up and running on your Windows machine.

See additional information and source code in the wiki(PythonWxPythonBeginnersSeries).

• Published: Sometime before 1st March 2007 (in other words - we don't remember!)

113. Nawaf Ali Thu, 07 Oct 2010 09:20

nice and informative demo

U R VIDEOS ARE SIMPLY GREAT :)

thanks!

110. Randy Jenkins Wed, 11 Aug 2010 11:25

Kyran,

Thank you for your demos - I am a longtime java developer who is just now taking the python plunge. Thanks again

Kyran,

Thanks, that was most informative.

Regards,

Steve

108. Gilles Caron Tue, 10 Aug 2010 12:26

Very useful videos to get working fast with Python.

I just looked at the first video to be sure it was working and will now look at the other ones to try my hand at using it.

Good install demo

106. Jeya Prakash Wed, 28 Jul 2010 10:12

good to follow

Looking good!!

103. spicoli Tue, 25 May 2010 22:33

it's easy to learn

nice video!!

102. Domenico Bove Sat, 22 May 2010 12:32

Really useful. Thanks.

101. Juan F. Osorio Wed, 05 May 2010 16:07

Concise and clear!, nothing better can be say about this video

Hi. I tried installing the wxpython 2.6 module using pyhton 3.1.2 but it says the module is not found in the directory, since there was no python 2.6 found on c:/. Can someone out there please help me, pretty please. Thank you.

eamil me at 392539@students.wits.ac.za

thanks, it was great!

Really helpful, but video takes a wee bit more time than it needs to.

excellent presentation.

96. Wolfgang Belau Wed, 21 Apr 2010 09:13

there seems to be two versions of Python to be involved in your downloads (v4 and v6)?

95. Peter Kammeyer Mon, 19 Apr 2010 10:05

I retired as a researcher in mechanics of GPS orbits two

years ago. And I am beginning to use your series as

a way to learn wxPython in allowing for a user to inject

'common sense' into semi-automated translation.

94. Ho Hee Min Sat, 10 Apr 2010 09:40

Very informative and helpful. Thanks. Keep up the great work!

93. Surendra Wed, 17 Feb 2010 18:49

It's good demo

Many thanks for power full program

good video!

Very nice so far. Hope that keeps up this way

89. anonymous Sun, 20 Dec 2009 08:12

thanks! nice video. :D

88. anonymous Fri, 18 Dec 2009 19:38

Excellent - thanx

87. anonymous Fri, 18 Dec 2009 19:03

Excellent - thanx

86. anonymous Thu, 10 Dec 2009 10:33

Very natural, concise and to the point. Excellent work. Thank you!

85. anonymous Mon, 07 Dec 2009 20:35

Reasonably informitive.

An excellent tutorial, thank you very much. Would be nice if somebody did one on Python Threads (personal interest :) )

83. anonymous Mon, 30 Nov 2009 15:23

Thanks. It is good to have the basic steps for total beginners.

82. anonymous Fri, 27 Nov 2009 07:19

BUT when i try to install it on python 3.1 IT DOESNT WORKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!

it says that the module _wx was not found, although its in the same directory...

81. anonymous Fri, 27 Nov 2009 07:19

BUT when i try to install it on python 3.1 IT DOESNT WORKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!

80. anonymous Thu, 26 Nov 2009 02:28

Well done, thanks.

79. anonymous Fri, 20 Nov 2009 03:32

Very nice presentation - shows everything clearly step by step :)

78. anonymous Wed, 04 Nov 2009 08:10

From very noobie Pythonist: Thanks for the great demo of installing wxPython. It's a great way to show how it should be done!

Cheers

77. anonymous Sun, 01 Nov 2009 23:19

The install demo is an excellent idea. Even when you know the drill, it's amazing to see how much work is involved for a novice.

This is a very thoughtful addition.

76. anonymous Sat, 17 Oct 2009 10:43

The Video was grest... please keep up the great work

75. anonymous Tue, 13 Oct 2009 06:37

I very much appreciate this effort. You are well spoken. The tutorial is directly to the point. This is very well done.

Again, Thank you

Ray

74. anonymous Fri, 09 Oct 2009 08:48

v useful thanks

73. anonymous Thu, 08 Oct 2009 08:29

Very good. Thank you

72. anonymous Tue, 06 Oct 2009 00:53

nice work.. keep it up.. :)

71. anonymous Sat, 03 Oct 2009 00:41

rapid way to learn sth. I like this, thank you

70. anonymous Sun, 27 Sep 2009 17:22

69. anonymous Sun, 06 Sep 2009 07:12

follwed steps of install, than tried to import wx on python shell that failed

thanks-very useful

Clear, though could probably have been a little shorter.

66. anonymous Tue, 25 Aug 2009 17:48

I am hoping that I will be able to learn how to do programming from using these videos and so far I am very pleased with what I have seen.

65. anonymous Sun, 23 Aug 2009 18:15

thanks for the intro video! i'm eager to see the rest

64. anonymous Fri, 21 Aug 2009 10:05

Very nice. Thank you.

63. anonymous Tue, 04 Aug 2009 20:15

I have no idea how to make a program. If the rest of the videos have the same easy aproach to the subject, I might have change to learn it.

62. anonymous Sat, 01 Aug 2009 22:05

Great job!

60. anonymous Tue, 28 Jul 2009 12:52

Good job.

59. anonymous Tue, 28 Jul 2009 10:12

cool programm

58. anonymous Sun, 26 Jul 2009 01:18

mine wouldn't install, before i install it tells me this message

"no installation of python 2.4 found in the registry, be sure to enter a pathname that places wxpython on the pythonpath"

what do i do?

my email is turksven@yahoo.com

57. anonymous Fri, 24 Jul 2009 07:14

This is a very effective demo.

It's true that what you've chosen to demonstrate is a very simple process, but that doesn't mean that the work is unnecessary. If somebody doesn't know how to do something, the fact that it's simple doesn't help them--they still need to be shown how.

Which you have done.

Thanks.

56. anonymous Fri, 24 Jul 2009 00:02

What about Vista..??

55. anonymous Wed, 22 Jul 2009 07:46

Very simple, understandable and useful tutorial.

54. anonymous Tue, 14 Jul 2009 17:46

Good if hand holding is needed for such install info.

Recommend doing a dry run in advance of recording. This would have revealed the "dead time" during the download of the demo. In turn the time could have been filled with a more coherent description of the demo software or of wxpython while waiting.

Just a suggestion...

53. anonymous Tue, 07 Jul 2009 03:03

very nicely done

52. anonymous Sat, 04 Jul 2009 17:51

excellent

51. anonymous Tue, 30 Jun 2009 00:46

I think your video was great. I was looking for info like this and I found it on your video. Not everybody knows about computer and one of them its me. Thanks for the help. Loved your video!

50. anonymous Thu, 25 Jun 2009 14:27

the video turotial is splendid. But some people have slow mobile connection: therefore, if it is possible make movies few little, please

49. anonymous Thu, 25 Jun 2009 14:20

48. anonymous Mon, 22 Jun 2009 13:03

May be it is not too important to you, guy, but I'm from Russia :)

I started to learn Python some time ago and now I want to learn how-to-create-GUI-apps-fast and so i can create my own PyEditor for some tasks )

So for me it is very useful set of videos! Thanx!

47. anonymous Thu, 18 Jun 2009 19:51

Very good. Nice commentary.

46. anonymous Thu, 18 Jun 2009 00:00

Hello,

Nice video, but I have problems installing wxPython. After going through

1) Download - ok

2) Unpacking - ok

3) Compiling - not ok. Compilation cannot occur and I get the following message:

=========================================

Unable to execute file

C:\Put a directory on PYTHONPATH here\python.exe

=========================================

Notice that (1) it did not change the name of the directory even though I indicated it explicitely as C:\Python26; (2) I checked the folder which is created by the installer - there is no such a file as python.exe.

I tried (any combination of a, b, and c):

a) add/modify enviromental variables

b) try different installation directories including the default, i.e. "Put a directory on PYTHONPATH here"

c) tried different versions of wxPython - 2.4, 2.5, 2.6,

- Nothing works!

If anybody knows what I could do - your advise is appreciated.

45. anonymous Wed, 17 Jun 2009 12:37

ggggggoooodd

44. anonymous Wed, 17 Jun 2009 12:36

ggggggoooodd

43. anonymous Tue, 16 Jun 2009 21:34

Good explanation

42. anonymous Tue, 09 Jun 2009 04:49

Very good video...

Let me see all the others

41. anonymous Wed, 03 Jun 2009 18:24

Thanks. I guess wxPython is available for Mac OS X. I missed that in your demo so I'll go to the wxPython site to look for it.

40. anonymous Sun, 31 May 2009 21:55

Thanks. Looked like a lot of work, but very helpful!!

39. anonymous Tue, 26 May 2009 02:59

The 1st video is great and clear to understand.

Everything went fine except at the very end of the video, on launching the video, it asked for a file association on launch for type .pyw. I assume you already have this set up on your machine, but it was not on mine and can cause confusion.

37. anonymous Sat, 23 May 2009 11:56

Very good and descriptive commentary.

36. anonymous Fri, 22 May 2009 12:16

What you have done is very usefull and it is very easy to understand also for the beginner like me, thank you very much

35. anonymous Fri, 22 May 2009 12:13

34. anonymous Tue, 21 Apr 2009 22:30

nice forgot demo

31. anonymous Sun, 19 Apr 2009 00:59

thank you for doing this!

30. anonymous Tue, 14 Apr 2009 16:04

Excellent explanation and very well performed.

29. anonymous Sat, 11 Apr 2009 04:37

good

28. anonymous Sat, 11 Apr 2009 04:36

good

25. anonymous Sat, 04 Apr 2009 07:03

This is really good way to give introduction about how to insall wxPython on system . Thanks for that .If you are also providing some information about How to do programming in python it is more usefuul for learners. This give some what idea about the use of wxpython more.

21. anonymous Tue, 24 Mar 2009 05:47

This is excellent. I have been trying to learn WxPython and not fond a right tutorial. I have trying and getting errors. I am really happy everything works fine as per your tutorial. I would like have the full tutorial

20. anonymous Sun, 22 Mar 2009 12:27

slow and easy tutorial on wxPython installation -> nice

test from smdtestuser

18. anonymous Wed, 18 Mar 2009 14:36

Fine demo. thanks. :-)

17. anonymous Wed, 31 Dec 2008 12:06

This is a nice step through the installation process for wxPython. I'm really interested in the other 4 videos on actually using it!

Thanks for putting this together.

Thank you for this introduction...look forward to learning more about wxPython, as I think it will be useful for me.

Again, thank you.

15. anonymous Wed, 23 Jul 2008 23:58

Super!

Especially your hint on the really good pyPython demo programme!

14. anonymous Tue, 20 May 2008 16:27

good

Review of How to Download and Install wxPython

Thanks for a good beginner's tutorial Kyran. I doubt if it could be more straightforward than this. I had wxPython up and working in only 2 tries. Printing & reading the code of the demo was very helpful too. Looking forward to the rest of the series.

Thanks man for this tutorial

11. anonymous Fri, 21 Mar 2008 18:04

Thanks Kyran. When you pick something up right from the beginning it's great to have a clear and easy entry point like this. Much apppreciated.

The tutorial is excellent. Keep up the the good work. Thanks

7. anonymous Fri, 18 Jan 2008 16:42

that was really good i feel like i can actually understand it now. Thank you so much keep up the good work

Review of How to Download and Install wxPython

Very succint, clean, and even presentation of the rudimentaries inherent to the novice level of binding a graphical user interface to Python code.

The simplistic nature of the navigation to, downloading, and installation of the wxPython GUI Library is a critical procedure that needs to be micromanaged for a novice. Mr. Dale follows through with the tasking in a loose fit and extremely effective manner.

In summation this tutorial series gets the viewer up and running with Python and the wxPython GUI very quickly with confidence.

5. anonymous Fri, 31 Aug 2007 23:32

Thanks for the vids!

Hi Andy. I'm sure that Fabio would answer support questions if you go over to the PyDev site (mention that you came via ShowMeDo!). Thanks for leaving the feedback, this is the life-blood of the site :-)

Kyran:

Thanks for taking the time to create the videos. I'm just getting started with Python (and wxPython), although I've done a lot using other languages. I'm using Eclipse with pyDev which works great under Windows, but for some reason, the debugger isn't working under Fedora Core 6.

Andy

Hi aussiebear,

agree that a rundown of basic terminology can be a real help. I particularly liked Glen Moyes approach in his Blender set.

I have a ton of ideas for a much better wxpython series, just waiting on the time-monster to give me a bit of leeway.

I used IDLE because it comes with the package - it's been drawn to my attention that IDLE now has a number of new features that would make programming in wx that much easier. In my day-job i'm using Wing, which works nicely with wx.

It would certainly be a good idea in any comprehensive series to cover available toolsets and basic terminology before scaling the code-face.

Thanks for the feedback

The overall series is pretty good.

I wish to provide some feedback.

(1) You need explain what frames and panels, etc are. Its for the people that haven't done GUI programming before. If this isn't explained it gets confusing! (I admit I'm a little confused myself!)

(2) Although you primarily focused on Windows in your video series, Linux users can use any old text editor they're comfortable with. (One tactic is to have two command line windows (or command prompt windows for you Windows folks), and a text editor open. One is for testing or experimenting with a bit of code or idea, the other is to test and develop the application itself.)

(3) Just be sure to let them know they need to add the following at the start of every Python script they write under Linux. Either:

=> #! /usr/local/bin/python

OR

=> #! /usr/bin/python

They also need to change the permissions such that their script is executable.

To run their application, they need to enter:

=> python helloworld.py

...In the command line window.

They could also use a number of Python IDEs if they wish, like "Eric".

Kudos and Thanks for Kyran