Name: [641] brutimus
Description: Web developer currently working at Greenspun Interactive. My team has created such sites at lasvegassun.com, lasvegasweekly.com, and vegasdeluxe.com. I joined Greenspun Interactive in June of 2008 after working on a python/django team at the washingtonpost.com. I would like to sit down and crea ...

Django Tutorial Part 1 - Setup [ID:187] (1/1)

in series: Django Tutorial Part 1 - Setup

video tutorial by brutimus, added 04/07

Django is a Python web framework used for rapid application development in any environment. In under 10 minutes, we will go from a bare Linux (Ubuntu) installation to a fully functional Django server.

This tutorial follows the installation guide found on the official Django website, but a few details have been added for clarification.

Please help us spread the word! Vote for this over at DZone (The Developer's Zone), once the entry ranks highly we can bring in more viewers for Sean. Thanks, Founder-Ian.

Uploaded on 14th April 2007, running time 9 minutes.

Nice and helpful - thanks

56. Oscar Peña Thu, 17 Jun 2010 20:00

Coooool!!!

Dear author

This tutorial is good , but seam you jump the step about pache.

I need a tutorial about django and apache with mod_python . What is correct way to set up apache with django . Thank you

54. Arpad Horvath Tue, 30 Mar 2010 15:49

It was useful for me to see how to prepair django to work with PostgreSQL.

Thank you.

53. anonymous Wed, 16 Dec 2009 05:49

its really good video. actually it just solved my all problems

52. anonymous Fri, 06 Nov 2009 13:27

In the beginning you hinted about installing SVN (and apache too?) but in fact it was already installed. All in all, a good job.

51. anonymous Tue, 13 Oct 2009 06:18

nice, look good!

50. anonymous Wed, 07 Oct 2009 11:27

Great video! It's really helpful for me. Thanks

49. anonymous Tue, 08 Sep 2009 20:18

I try learn phyton and belive wich this videos are good for learn

48. anonymous Mon, 24 Aug 2009 08:30

Great tutorial. Thanks.

47. anonymous Sun, 16 Aug 2009 06:16

good video and good description.Thanks

46. anonymous Wed, 15 Jul 2009 09:30

Good for introducing oneself to Django

45. anonymous Thu, 02 Jul 2009 06:31

nice one!

44. anonymous Thu, 02 Jul 2009 06:30

nice one!

43. anonymous Mon, 25 May 2009 10:32

Your tutorial helps me a lot. I face a bit problem setting up django in UBUNTU 9.04 but your tutorial solves it and saves tonnes of time. So thanks.

Hope to get great videos of django from you in the future.

Good Stuff! Lots of information.

Would like to see more!

Lots of information. But I was interrrupted by a phone call by a telemarketer. When I tried to rewind to listen to it again I am being forced to leave a comment. Well I want to relisten so it must be good.

38. anonymous Sun, 30 Nov 2008 09:20

this is pretty cool - but it there any other way to get django up and runing without typing cmd line stuff for 10 mins???

That was such a helpful tutorial to get me up and running! So easy to follow and by the end of it I now have Django working on my desktop.

36. anonymous Wed, 09 Jan 2008 06:35

Great !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1......................Maddy

For tech support come and explain your setup in our Google Group:

and we'll see if we can help.

Cheers, Ian (co-founder)

Hi, I've problems downloading a video about django. The filename is stoops010.flv. I can't view it in my browser either.

BR

Einar Sarnes

33. anonymous Mon, 05 Nov 2007 12:51

NEWBIE

I keep trying to su postgres but I keep getting a prompt for a password, I put in the root password and it failed, help!

Dennis -- There are a couple different ways to deploy a django app to the desktop. Here is a link to some info about that: http://www.silverstripesoftware.com/blog/archives/51.

Since you can use SQLite with django, it makes it super simple to build an app so it doesn't rely on a big DB backend like Postgres or MySQL. Thanks for checking out my video!

-Sean

Very nice! Clear!

related question: Any tools that can take a Django/python web app and convert (mirror?) it to a desktop application?

thanks again!

Dennis

30. anonymous Sun, 21 Oct 2007 16:35

I enjoyed very much the video on sharing a Linux printer though Samba. Nice work. The bad thing, of course, is that the video become somewhat obsolete with a new Suse version (maybe the video should say which Suse it did use upon the start). As I could work around that, I guess the average user should however understand anyhow. Watching it turned out to be *very* useful for me. Thanks.

I will watch for more videos of that kind. Great!

29. anonymous Sun, 21 Oct 2007 13:36

Awesome video. Found it really helpful since I'm totally new to both Django and Ubuntu.

Any chance of getting more soon?

Thanks for your time! It was great help to me setting up Django for very first time.

chop

Sweden

Hey Sean, thanks for sharing that :-) Kudos to you for getting the cool job, I know just how much time can be sucked into fun projects!

Wow... It is getting out there a little bit! :-)

I decided I will share with everyone else what I told Ian in an email about why my next videos are taking sooo long to get out.

A couple months ago, I was invited to join the product development team at Washingtonpost.Newsweek Interactive and put some of my django abilities to work. I accepted that offer and moved to Arlington, VA (right outside Washington DC for those of you that may not know). This place is just wonderful to work at, but it demands some pretty long days.

I meant to have my next, if not several videos out by now, but I was finishing up school last month then immediately came to work, so I really haven't had a lot of time to just sit and make videos. :-)

Trust me though, more ARE coming; I wouldn't dare let this series go considering the amount of positive feedback I've received! Thank you all for the comments, they really are appreciated!

Cheers!

Sean Stoops

Sean, I thought you'd like to know that your DZone vote-count got you to the frontpage:

and +12 on Digg:

Given that you only have this one introductory video, that's rather impressive. Can't wait to see what happens when you get a chance to extend the series :-)

24. anonymous Sat, 09 Jun 2007 07:43

good video - its nicely paced and screen captured to highlight whats being done. thanks

23. anonymous Thu, 24 May 2007 04:11

I wonder what program is it used for screen capturing?

22. anonymous Fri, 18 May 2007 12:08

Good video, but coming from TurboGears thats an awful lot of installation work by comparison. Hopefully it will be worth it! - Alan G

Anon -- Oh no, sorry. :) I'm using my MacBook Pro to make the video. I have a virtual machine running with Ubuntu and I am just sshed into that. The Textmate and Uno are both Mac apps. Sorry for not being clear.

20. anonymous Sun, 29 Apr 2007 18:07

Textmate in Ubuntu? And what is Uno? Thanks in advance.

- About the Feisty package -- right now, I'm going to stick with getting the django source from subversion, at least until django reaches its 1.0 release.

- About the mx.DateTime -- yeah I had forgotten exactly what that was for when I was making the video, thanks for the correction. :)

- I'm using Textmate. My Firefox theme is called Blue Ice. I've used Uno to customize the rest of my window decorations. I'm not sure if that answers all of your questions.

- Thanks again for all the good feedback on my first video. A second video will be coming very soon, I've just been held up by an illness and also college.

18. anonymous Sun, 29 Apr 2007 15:18

What text editor are you using in the first part of the screencast?

And what theme in your windows?

17. anonymous Thu, 19 Apr 2007 13:48

Nice job!

One nit: I think mx.DataTime is really for psycopg2's use more than Django's.

Hi Sean, just to let you know that the DZone link:

(which is linked in the description text above) now shows 13 votes - that is a great high score for anything over at DZone.

We tend to get 2-10 votes for ShowMeDo videos and that includes entire series, so for just a singular video (rather than a finished series) you're doing especially well :-) You have an audience that is eager to learn more.

Looking forward to episode 2!

15. anonymous Wed, 18 Apr 2007 09:49

Good job! It's a big help for starters!

14. anonymous Tue, 17 Apr 2007 22:57

Very Nice! It helps a lot to see someone do it.

13. anonymous Tue, 17 Apr 2007 02:39

From Feisty onwards, Ubuntu has a django package in Universe, so you can just:

sudo apt-get install python-django

and a lot of the setup should be done for you

Ian & Anon -- I will most definitely be covering getting Django up with Apache. The path I'm taking is giving the viewers enough to get started at that point, then expanding in later videos. I'm tempting the thought of a 1.5 video where I finish covering the settings in more detail and do what you said, get Django up with Apache. Any feedback on this idea would be great. Thanks for all the positive comments!

anon - Apache/MOD_Python is just one of the ways that Django could be served, there are other proxies and other servers (e.g. lighttpd). Starting with the basic out-of-the-box internal server makes sense for a first video.

Sean - out of interest, were you thinking of covering how-to-configure-with-Apache in a later video?

10. anonymous Mon, 16 Apr 2007 14:13

Hmm ... nice video, but I was expecting to see django served by Apache/MOD_Python, not by the default development server.

Keep'em rolling in. I am a big django fan. Great video and I am looking forward to more in this series. I like that you are using an Ubuntu server as well. :)

Great video. Django seemed slightly less approachable than some other frameworks, so it's nice to see someone do this stuff and show that's it's not that tricky really.

Looking forward to the next video a lot. Keep up the good work.

anonymous, that's so great about frameworks like Django and Rails: You can be more productive whilst still producing great apps.

6. anonymous Sun, 15 Apr 2007 05:17

Neat video Sean. I look forward to the next part, when you show how to create an app (after going through some the settings you mentioned). I've had quite a bit of experience with other languages, so see a decent web dev environment in python is interesting! (compared to setting up a web project in Java, this looked .... how do you say ... trivial?)

Thanks for all the positive response! As requested, I will detail a few version numbers here: Python 2.4, Django pre-0.97, PostgreSQL 8.1, Ubuntu 6.10. Version numbers of the smaller packages can be found in the video.

Sean, could you post a comment detailing the versions of software you've used?

Major version nbrs would be fine, I'm thinking that a future-viewer (6 months time?) might get confused when confronted with an older video and a newer version of Django/Python...

Sean, great first video! This excellent intro will help introduce more people to the power of Django, we look forward to adding many more of your videos to this series.

Cheers!

Brilliant work!! Keep it up!!!!

Big help!