Name: [002] Ian Ozsvald
Description: I am the co-founder of ShowMeDo (see http://showmedo.com/about), author of `The Screencasting Handbook <http://thescreencastinghandbook.com>`_ and the founder of the professional screencast production company `ProCasts <http://procasts.co.uk>`_: .. image:: http://procasts.co.uk/media/procasts_sma ...

Running Python 2.5 on Windows XP [ID:137] (Free) (3/10)

in series: Python Development on XP

Here we install and test Python 2.5 from Python.org (download here). I cover how to start Python from the Start Menu and writing your first (Hello World) line of Python code.

At the end of this video you'll know how to start and finish with Python and you'll be ready to check-out the on-line tutorial via the Python.org doc pages and Mark pilgrim's on-line book Dive Into Python.

You will also be ready to begin the remaining six parts of this series where I give you all the knowledge you need to get going with writing Python scripts on Windows (this also applies to Linux and Mac too!).

To talk to your fellow Pythonistas you should join the ShowMeDo Learners Google Group.

• Published: Sometime before 1st March 2007 (in other words - we don't remember!)

Thanks. This video saved me from fumbling around trying to install everything through the command prompt.

116. cliff white Thu, 02 Sep 2010 06:45

Very useful

thanks, very eduational

114. Michael D. Hemphill Thu, 19 Aug 2010 22:09

Love the site, tutorials are very insightful and helpful.

113. Changa Tshering Wed, 11 Aug 2010 21:10

As a beginner,it is easy to understand instruction for exploring the tools in python.

Thanks for brining it down to beginner level of understanding.

112. Rodolfo Tue, 10 Aug 2010 15:36

I love this site! I just found it and it was bookmarked instantly! Thanks for sharing knowledge in such an easy way to understand and learn! Greatly appreciated. Kudos.

hi,

It was great listening to your vedio.Im new to python ,i mean im beginner..and unfortunately im working as a programmer in the same language..soo please kindly can u demonstrate a vedio showing me how to write a program,how to save it and how to run and execute it..a small example would be great .....please could u please mail me as early as possible

110. Herbert Sat, 17 Jul 2010 17:31

Thank you for the video series. I have a programming project for a club I belong to and am hoping Python will be my vehicle. The thing I am most interested in is a beginning programming tutorial along with a quick start into GUI with Python. I need this project asap and hope to get up-to-speed rather quickly. Many Thanks.

Thanks very much. Clear, concise...I'm just thinking about 'programming' as a new path (no pun intended)- taking a couple of free courses from MIT to see if this is something I would want to do. Thanks a million.

excelente tutorial para usar python muy bueno sigan asi espero algun dia poder ser util como ustedes lo son saludos desde guatemala

OK

106. Beverly Mon, 24 May 2010 17:50

Thank you. I was stuck trying to find how to access IDLE and it never occurred to me to look under all programs. I will definately bookmark your site for further help as this is my initial exposure to Python.

Thank you for this tutorial. I found it quite helpful

Thanks, did not know what ModuleDocs component was.

102. William J. Mc Quadee Sat, 13 Mar 2010 11:39

Nice work!

Just what I was looking for.

With all the languages I know , I was interested in why I would use Python instead of Pearl or something else.

Thank you.

Bill

101. raulvan Sun, 14 Feb 2010 23:39

i. Need to know the database connectivity in python.

ii. Create a simple login page in python with database connectivity

100. Gabriel Fri, 12 Feb 2010 16:23

Hello Ian,

I've just started watching your tutorials so I don't have much to say at this point. What does strike me is your matter of fact way of presenting the information. No guessing involved. As time goes on, I'll let you know what I think. As for now... Two Thumbs Up! :^)

~Gabriel

Very good! really2 helpful!

i have started to learn PYTHON online by visiting web pages,

will i be able to get it in an easy and handy way,

i know few languages like c++,core java,html.

Python and mysql database for websites

clear and concise

95. imran qureshi Fri, 15 Jan 2010 12:41

Hi,

This was a very useful information regarding python.

Thanx

94. Stefan Kluska Mon, 11 Jan 2010 15:32

93. anonymous Tue, 05 Jan 2010 23:01

Thank you, that was very helpful. I would like to see some about basic programing.

91. anonymous Tue, 29 Dec 2009 14:59

thanks again. Of course I would be happy about a such nice programming course in python for beginners (like me).

Marek

90. anonymous Mon, 28 Dec 2009 19:33

Great start.

89. anonymous Sat, 05 Dec 2009 12:21

Thank You very much. I need such tutorial because I am tottaly nob in Python.

88. anonymous Wed, 25 Nov 2009 10:01

Great, I'm just starting but it is really helpfull.

87. anonymous Sat, 21 Nov 2009 09:26

This is my first experience with Python. The tutorial is very clear and to the point. I find it very encouraging and helpful.

86. anonymous Thu, 19 Nov 2009 08:21

thanks!!!!

85. anonymous Sun, 15 Nov 2009 07:41

I like this video, and as a BASIC programmer myself (pun intended) and as someone who is keen to learn a non-Microsoft dependent programming language, this video has really helped me to understand the basics of python and where to go to learn more. Thank you very much Ian!

how to view this video?

83. anonymous Tue, 03 Nov 2009 10:20

thanks a lot, i will see another tutorvideo

82. anonymous Mon, 19 Oct 2009 00:40

Its really helpful for installing python on windows, thanks!

81. anonymous Thu, 01 Oct 2009 08:34

Great series

80. anonymous Mon, 21 Sep 2009 11:28

Was looking for some very basic info on Python, preferably all-in-one place. This was very helpful. Thank you!

79. anonymous Fri, 18 Sep 2009 09:58

This video was handy, found some things to start fiddling with, I would like to get into programming, and learn more about different programming languages, also JAVA, but if you could continue making videos on how to do things with python, that would be great! Like examples and things as such...

78. anonymous Tue, 15 Sep 2009 15:01

I'm just starting out with programming, I've been in the computer field for quite some time, and have yet to do any programming... I was told to learn Python first, b/c it's the easiest of the languages to learn; plus I will gain a useful "Overall" knowledge of programming with this utility, however generalized it may be.

I wish to thank you for your tutorials; I haven't paid for any yet, but I have a feeling I will be shortly. Ian seems to have a vast knowledge of Python, and programming in general; therefore I feel my money won't go to waste... But here is a question for you... Let's say I pay for one tutorial video... Can I view it over and over and over again?? or is it pay per view??

77. anonymous Fri, 11 Sep 2009 09:27

Valeu mano !!!

76. anonymous Sun, 06 Sep 2009 03:01

Thank you ! Great work!

75. anonymous Tue, 25 Aug 2009 06:23

Thanks for this video ! I was able to install Python and use some downloaded program I needed for my research (epigrass) quite quickly. I think I'll try to learn a bit more of this programming language later. Thanks again.

S.Christian

thank you very much.

thank you very much.

72. anonymous Tue, 04 Aug 2009 03:34

First time I've looked at this approach to teaching. I might try it out on my son who is about to do his first computing course at school. Wish you well with the project.

71. anonymous Wed, 29 Jul 2009 14:37

Great tutorial! Perhaps you could give an intro to programming with python to give newcomers like me a bit of a start.

Thanks.

Mark

I thought I would be learning how to program with python with this learning series but now I am unsure as to what I will be learning when it comes to this series

great intro covering the basics of what is installed. thanks

great intro covering the basics of what is installed. thanks

great intro covering the basics of what is installed. thanks

66. anonymous Tue, 14 Jul 2009 23:14

Thanks for the video! ive watched a few and i must say, if i didnt watch any of them i would have stopped my journey into starting python. this site roxxs my soxxs :)

65. anonymous Tue, 14 Jul 2009 16:00

Thanks - I have a text book, but I am not a programmer and I am easily left wondering where to start, so the videos are probably a great help.

64. anonymous Mon, 29 Jun 2009 17:49

Thank you, Ian. This saved me a lot of time.

David

63. anonymous Wed, 24 Jun 2009 22:45

It's good to me to start Python. Thanks.

62. anonymous Wed, 17 Jun 2009 23:33

Good one !

61. anonymous Wed, 10 Jun 2009 21:49

This is a great resource to learn python in such a friendly way. Thanks for your great work!

60. anonymous Wed, 10 Jun 2009 10:57

Ian,

The answer to your question is yes. It would be very helpful to have a tutorial on programming using Python, especially for hacikers (in the good sense) like me.

Jim

59. anonymous Tue, 09 Jun 2009 17:34

Nice

58. anonymous Tue, 09 Jun 2009 17:33

Nice

57. anonymous Mon, 08 Jun 2009 14:30

Not bad! I've done tech support for 8 years, nothing advanced really, but have a project I want to do in python. I'm a beginner when it comes to programming, but this looks like a very promising way to learn programming without breaking the bank. Keep up the good work! :)

56. anonymous Mon, 08 Jun 2009 02:12

Excellent

55. anonymous Fri, 08 May 2009 02:15

i want to learn it

54. anonymous Thu, 30 Apr 2009 19:56

Thanks !! your videos are great !!

52. anonymous Fri, 17 Apr 2009 10:19

I've heard the name "python scripts" with respect to our main program "MineSight". I'm interested in learning more about how to use it and what it's capabilities are. I have formally studied only FORTRAN and PASCAL from 30 years ago. I will be looking at tutorials and exploring some of your other videos. I looks like a good resource.

51. anonymous Thu, 16 Apr 2009 14:08

Thanks. Been helpful.

50. anonymous Tue, 31 Mar 2009 12:19

This video was very useful to me.

I'd also like to know how to start Python from the dos command line, so I can run script doing: python myscript.py.

Congratulations and thank you very much for your wonderful idea.

46. anonymous Fri, 12 Dec 2008 15:02

Thanks, but not _that_ useful, though nice and reassuringly simple. erm, double click the installer icon to install, then look in the start menu for the interpreter and the tutorials. Well it's a start. What i think would be handy for people is a tutorial on getting python running with a webserver, and how to connect it up to a database. that's the environment people want to be working in really, no?

45. anonymous Fri, 10 Oct 2008 23:16

very nice indeed keep them coming and perhaps you can make more of them free. :)

thanks a lot ..you really helped..

44. anonymous Sat, 04 Oct 2008 18:40

I quite like your videos, and have decided to move to Python on a new project because of them. You can expect that I'll be signing up.

It would be nice to see some videos on graphical manipulation. My project involves using data from machine sources (biometric devices for vision), then displaying results graphically. The user would then be able to click and drag lines on the graph to change parameters.

Last, databases w/Python. That would also be helpful. Let me know what your plans are.

43. anonymous Mon, 28 Jul 2008 12:06

Great intro - my background is in C# but after buying oreilly's collective intelligence book I am motivated to learn python. Any videos on material related to this book would certainly be welcome.

yes Ian, I'd like it if you included some beginner programming tutorials also. This is my first attempt at programming and I have decided to start with Python based on a friend's recommendation. First I went to the python website and started there, but I felt like I needed more. The hands-on tutorials like the ones you provide are perfect because I learn more by doing rather than just reading. I like working on real projects because I feel like it sinks in more.

I work in a print production department in an advertising agency and learned InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator through the, "Adobe in a Classroom" books which provide tutorials involving real projects.

Thanks for your effort in putting together this site; I think it's great and appreciate the fact that you are giving back to the community.

41. anonymous Fri, 13 Jun 2008 17:24

Specially the Python API's were not present in the HTML Doc's, the use of Python Modules in the Python 2.5 Programs Menu Group, Solves that Problem, I learned it from here.

40. anonymous Mon, 07 Apr 2008 01:34

Review of Running Python 2.5 on Windows XP

I'd definitely buy a introductory programming course. I'm really interested in programming, but most programming books seem to be written for people who already understand it.

Hi Anon, thanks for the question. I've just looked at the new ActiveState distribution - their 2.5 versions does look very good.

As a beginner I think you'd benefit from using their bundle - it has everything that you'll need to get started.

Their feature-list is here:

and you can 'Get ActivePython' on the right side of the screen.

Re. Python vs C for a newbie - learn Python! 'C' is indeed very powerful and has a long history - but it isn't very beginner-friendly. You'll be *much* more productive if you learn Python first and you'll be writing useful programs much quicker (and without cursing under your breath wondering why things Just Don't Work...which always happens to new C programmers).

Later (after 1 year or more perhaps) I'd suggest that you look at a lower-level language like C (or C++) so that you understand some of the underlying concepts (like user-managed memory, pointers, static typing, compiling).

Gasto's C-introduction videos might be useful to you there?

HTH,

38. anonymous Mon, 18 Feb 2008 10:52

Thanks for the excellent video. However, I would like to point out out that Active Python has upgraded its download to ActivePython 2.5.1.1. Would you now advice going in for Active Python or the distribution from Python.org?

Would also like to know whether Python or C language should be the first choice for a complete newbie.

Best regards,

Kalind

Hi Anon - I'd reply personally but you're not logged in (when you put in your email address it is just for anti-spam checking), so I have to reply here.

I think you'd be better off starting with the other series, though it does assume a tiny bit of prior knowledge:

We do offer a full money-back guarantee - if you thought that the series didn't teach what you needed, we'd give you your money back.

Having said this - we're about to switch away from selling videos and this Saturday we start a Subscription scheme and this scheme will be focused on new Python programmers like you. These two series will be a part of the Subscription scheme.

If you buy yourself access to one of these series now (before Wednesday 6th Feb) for $10, you'll get a 3 month free trial of the Subscription package which could otherwise cost you $45.

Over the next 3 months we intend to publish a lot of tutorials aimed at new Python programmers - covering the core language, GUIs, web-applications, math, science and more.

If you pay $10 now for 1 series then after the weekend you'll have access to both series and 3 months worth of new series (otherwise costing $45), and we back it with a money-back guarantee. I'd suggest you make the purchase right now, the deal really is very good!

If anyone you know is interested in learning Python, do feel free to show them this message as the time limit is rather tight for this offer.

Anyone who is registered as a Member before Saturday February 9th, even if they haven't bought anything, will be given a discounted price for the Subscriber package:

I hope that helps you to make your mind up :-)

36. anonymous Sun, 03 Feb 2008 20:31

or poste. (same person as above)

35. anonymous Sun, 03 Feb 2008 20:30

It looks ok and im considering joining but i do have questions about the video tutorial.

-do the video tutorial explain everything in detail, such as explaining how and why do these programs work providing examples to explain them.Im just starting in the programing field and i have no expiriance in programing, so thats why i wanted to know if the videos would explain everything in a way that I would be able to learn them with no past expiriance.if you could would you e-mail me back with the responce. Thank you

Hi Anon, thanks for the comment. I'll guess you'd be surprised at how many people have bought this series and mailed me a thank-you :-) There are plenty of Python books which teach people to code - they need paying for too.

People are paying for the fact that the information has been organised and presented in a useful sequence, rather than them having to figure it out for themselves.

As for running Python - from the command line just do 'python myfile.py' and it'll run. If you have trouble with the PATH then see this video of mine:

33. anonymous Fri, 01 Feb 2008 08:59

Wouldn't pay for it. Would be surprised if anyone would. As you have shown all the information is there for you to learn python for free, but we're here because we prefer to see things done via video.

If you're doing python you're probably an opensource fan, and a fan of the free (as in beer) approach. A community of video tutorials sounds amazing, but this series I would not pull my already suffering wallet out for.

What I was expecting to see, before it ended abruptly was the most common method for getting files going with python on windows - does one just use a favoured text editor and execute in the command window? do we need to set up the PATH variable? etc etc.

Otherwise, clearly presented, nice.

32. anonymous Tue, 15 Jan 2008 04:40

Review of Running Python 2.5 on Windows XP

Good to start with, would like to have more programming tips in python

LarryE and Mike - thanks to you both for your comments. We are actually coming close to a change in ShowMeDo - soon we will be adopting a subscription system where subscribers get access to extra videos like my 2 commercial Python series.

This change means that I can focus on creating exactly the right kind of videos that everyone wants. Your suggestions are very timely!

Would you like to join us in our Google Group and say a bit more about the topics you're interested in seeing? You can join it here:

I'd love to hear some more about the topics that you want to learn and *why* (i.e. what are you trying to achieve?). That'll help me make the right kind of topics.

Excellent - what I would like to see is a tutorial about building a simple web app with visual components (wxPython?)

Hello Ian,

Thank you for your efforts thus far in providing a vehicle to facilitate the learning of Python. As input for further consideration, might you be willing to consider the feasibility of teaching:

.programming basics of data structures using Python

.grasping the concepts of OOP using Python

.Analysis of algorithms using Python

Perhaps a specific text or portions of a text could be utilized to accompany your explanations?

Thanks again for your effort!

LarryE

28. anonymous Wed, 12 Dec 2007 19:06

Review of Running Python 2.5 on Windows XP

thank you- i had installed python, but was trying to type commands, such as print, into windows dos, in belief that that was where all program lines were supposed to go.

it never occurred to me to treat python as a typical program, that i had to set running, as i do to all normal programs, from the start/ all progs menu.!

27. anonymous Tue, 11 Dec 2007 05:19

26. anonymous Fri, 23 Nov 2007 18:42

Thanks for your clarity and referrals to other sites - Newbie here - I am still trying to decide if Python is right for my projects (converting spreadsheet type calculations into a stand alone application GUI).

Would love to have a little more meat/examples of programs, showing/explaining what Python is capable of, but I will continue to dig to see if it will compete well with Visual.Net creating stand alone applications. I would truly love to avoid more MS stuff !

25. anonymous Tue, 30 Oct 2007 14:28

Thanks great tutorial

24. anonymous Wed, 29 Aug 2007 15:36

Nice quick starter tutorial, Ian.

'sodo

www.techanswerguy.com

23. anonymous Mon, 28 May 2007 23:46

Thank you for this. I've just started diving into programming, and checking out all the different computer languages. Python looks interesting so far, but I want to learn more about C++ which seems to be in the zone. I really appreciate this.

anon (19) - great, glad you like our approach. I have more series planned where I work through a problem and show how to solve it. The aim of course is to impart both knowledge and confidence to the viewer.

Another great suggestion, I actually have this one as well in my list already :-) I have so much that I want to cover!

Do keep on suggesting new topics, they give me much food for thought.

I like the idea of you doing a series on basic programming principles using Python. We've all come here with an itch to scratch/problem to solve.

I'd like to see how Python can be used to scour the web and return data.

19. anonymous Tue, 20 Mar 2007 07:32

One thing that many new programmers like myself would like to see and that is specific areas of interest. Programming is just a word and many people start like I am attempting to do with a SPECIFIC target for Python. For example my reason to learn python is to make a web page upload information to a database then using python create a valid xml file from that database to use in other pages of the website or other applications. So for my research into Python I have a specific target in mind, so far I have not been able to see a working example of what I am after although there are many references to what I want in the many books and articles I have found - simple search for Python Database XML doesn't fully realise my objectives. I am going to be watching and reading everything I find here . WELL DONE videos about this are much simpler to grasp than just code on a page. Thanks !

Hi geekhunter, great to hear that you find the videos useful. I hope you find the rest of this series just as useful :-)

Ian, very well done. I'm hunting down resources to make my intro to Python more enjoyable (and quicker) and your videos are just great. Thanks!

Hey Simi, glad you found the videos useful. Good to hear you're evaluating Python for the office - anything we can help out with?

15. anonymous Fri, 16 Mar 2007 14:36

Hey Ian,

Thanks so much for doing this video and the first one they have both been so helpful and they saved me a ton of time. That has been great since this is for a work project to check out Python and what my team might want to use it for.

Simi

Interesting topic! I also do scientific programming using Python and C++ but I tend to compile the C++ to an exe and then run it using configuration files via Python.

I know of Swig which interfaces Python and C++ but I've never used it myself.

I, too, would love to see videos on these sorts of topics. Any takers?

13. anonymous Wed, 14 Mar 2007 16:44

Thanks for the video. I often do scientific programming with C++, so i would like to see how python can be used to interface with c++ library files.

Thanks for the feedback, it is much appreciated, it is so nice to hear that my presentation style is improving :-)

I'll have a think about adding a series for larger projects...so many great ideas, I just need more time to get them all done!

11. anonymous Tue, 13 Mar 2007 11:26

I have downloaded some python code from http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/pythoncook2/ and want to load the folder to test compile. I thought that this is a great way for students to use both Pydev and book examples. Also if you can show us more experienced developer how to tackle a large project like buildbot that would be great.

10. anonymous Tue, 13 Mar 2007 11:24

Among the Python videos, I like your video presentation best because the tempo of voice and typing is almost perfect.

Hi Chandra. I'm glad you like the videos, that is always nice to hear. Don't forget to leave comments of Thanks for our other authors, everyone likes to know that their efforts are appreciated ;-)

Just mail me if you'd like Preview Access to the rest of the set, I'm currently looking for feedback on the series.

Hi Ian,

I have only recently heard of Python and am trying to learn more and stumbled on this website and the video series.

Very well done! And many thanks for doing it, I find it extremely useful. I will follow along with the rest of the videos.

- Chandra

Keep up the show me do video tutorials they are great!

Keep up the good work...!

James, Ashwin - thanks for the kind comments. I'm glad that these are useful. This is my first paid-for set, I have plans now (once this set is finished and released) to build some longer Python sets.

Do give me suggestions for future series you'd like to see, I'm always open to suggestions.

Cheers!

Good videos. Thanks

hey thanks, i have not had a chance to see how far you have gotten with your videos but the first two were great!

This Linux user has enjoyed your 'Python for Newbies on XP' series. Linux people should know that 95% of the material covered is relevant for them too. Thanks Ian, this has been most helpful.

Hi Jack, thanks for that! I spent over a month getting this material together, it is great to hear that you find it useful.

I'm alwasy open to suggestions for future sets that I could record, feel free to ping me some ideas.

Kudos and Thanks for Ian

Learning Paths

This series lies on the following learning-paths. Learning-paths are a new initiative at Showmedo, to start structuring our content better. You can find out more here.