Name: [002] Ian Ozsvald
Description: I am the co-founder of ShowMeDo (see http://showmedo.com/about), author of `The Screencasting Handbook <http://thescreencastinghandbook.com>`_ and the founder of the professional screencast production company `ProCasts <http://procasts.co.uk>`_: .. image:: http://procasts.co.uk/media/procasts_sma ...

An introduction to Python resources - Part 1/2 [ID:072] (1/2)

in series: Resources for Python Newbies

video tutorial by Ian Ozsvald, added 03/07

On-line resources to help you get started with Python programming. Here I introduce the resources I'd show to any new Python programmer. Note that the audio finishes abruptly at the end of the video - sorry about that!

Uploaded on 20th October 2006, running time 12 minutes.

Would you show your appreciation if you like this video? Just visit DZone.com and vote for this video - thanks.

I reference the following resources:

Notable additions - I should have mentioned these in the video:

• Published: Sometime before 1st March 2007 (in other words - we don't remember!)

79. Micro777 Wed, 29 Sep 2010 15:00

I greatly appreciate the coverage of tutorials especially non-official tutorials.Also appreciate the books available.

Thanks for the info, it is well received.

I like to know that there is another source of info awailable except school.

Keep up the good work.

Good tutorial, waiting for more tutorials on Python.

76. Michael Toback Sat, 05 Jun 2010 09:02

This was helpful. Though somewhat dated, it is still pretty accurate considering it's 4 years old! Still if there are newer resources for beginners it would be helpful to update it

You provided some very useful information that led to other useful information! Thank you!

Great resource for beginners like me. I'm happy to know that I was on the right track. I already own the book, Beginning Python from Novice to Professional. It is a great book for newbies.

No complaints here, I'm definetly going to look into at least one of those books. Thanks much.

It is good for beginners those who want to learn python. I am also one among of them. if you post comparison of python with shell script , perl etc. it would be easy to learn.

71. Marty Hunsaker Sat, 06 Mar 2010 11:18

Just found your site. I am anxious to try it out in my effort to include python as a tool in my programming tool belt.

Thanks,

Marty

Good info.

Nice introduction to the resources. There are some instructional videos in youtube. I found videos easyer to follow and put us faster on track.

this video was done up in 2006 which in computerese is quite awhile back - are there any new beginner python resources worth doing an update or addendum?

I am just starting to learn this. The recommendations help. I will comment once I get into it a little. kevin

66. Christoph Dreiser Wed, 20 Jan 2010 01:26

very helpful, thanks

65. Stefan Kluska Mon, 11 Jan 2010 14:14

applause

Very informative about python. Clear, Concise and I will be referring back to this site in the future.

Thank you for your efforts Ian (and the rest of the Showmedo team)

Nice intro to resources!

Very gentle and nice intro...great work ...really appreciate sharing of knowledge in video format

61. anonymous Sat, 02 Jan 2010 21:51

Thank you!

60. anonymous Sat, 02 Jan 2010 21:51

Thank you!

59. anonymous Sat, 02 Jan 2010 21:51

Thank you!

Very helpful . I hope that this will be updated.

57. anonymous Wed, 16 Dec 2009 09:28

Excellent tutorial - thanks for your great presentation.

56. anonymous Wed, 09 Dec 2009 20:58

Thanks for the videos :)

55. anonymous Sat, 31 Oct 2009 18:26

I thought this video was effective because it, unlike some other resources, does not make the mistake of assuming a new users is already knowledgeable to some degree. Sometimes its hard for an intermediate/advanced programmer to teach beginners. Not the case with this video, easy to understand.

The speaker also points the user to a few key places that seem like, though I haven't perused these sources myself, they explain very well. The tutorial was short and sweet, to the point, and listed resources that looked promising. Thank you very much for your help!

54. anonymous Thu, 22 Oct 2009 17:30

This video was very informative. It pointed me in the right direction, as I'm not just a novice to python, I'm a novice to programming in general. Thank you for your efforts. I find more and more resources like this on the internet everyday, and it encourages me greatly that people in the world are freely sharing their knowledge and expertise for the betterment of us all.

53. anonymous Sun, 18 Oct 2009 11:21

very good. helpful for those switching language

52. anonymous Wed, 14 Oct 2009 14:19

The links you mention look great. I've done some Python programming and will enjoy the Python challenge site.

51. anonymous Wed, 30 Sep 2009 13:56

Nice intro to resources, and keeping the resources list up-to-date.

50. anonymous Sun, 20 Sep 2009 16:47

Thanks Ian. I'm wondering whether these screencasts can be edited at all.

While I agree that the Magnus Lie Hetland book is an excellent place to begin, I have found Wesley Chun's Core Python Programming to be far more satisfying in explaining the workings of the language.

48. anonymous Mon, 07 Sep 2009 12:33

Good set of vidoes ... i look forward to learning more python in the future.

47. anonymous Sat, 05 Sep 2009 20:02

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your video. It was helpful and I appreciated your review of the resources. I have recently started learning Python so that I can help my 10 year old son, who wants to learn to program video games. We're both really enjoying the learning process and we'll explore the resources you've recommended. Thanks for sharing your expertise with us "newbies".

Regards,

Scarlet

good refresher of the docs and and a few new webpages I had not seen before -Matt

Hi, just joined your Club :)

I liked the Video as it covered everything you need to know to get started.

greetings kh

44. anonymous Fri, 14 Aug 2009 00:14

Hi,

Thanks for your nice Tutorials, I have found them very informative and helping.

As English is not my first language and have little exposure to native English speakers. Hence I find it difficult [ say very difficult :) ] to follow, had to paly back again and again to understand a particular word / sentence you speak.

I was wondering if it was at all possible to have and option for tanscript of spoken words. We may not understand the spoken word but can easily follow up by reading.

I have no idea if it is doable or not, but I am sure this will help other non-native English speakers also.

One more benefit of having transcript will be that then text could be translated into other languages and with sound in other language, tutorial could be localized into many languages.

If that happens then I would love to volunteer for its translation into my native language Brushaski should you be interested.

Thanking you once again for all your hard work and for making it available free. We can not pay you but do remain grateful and pray for you.

Kind Regards,

Mashgoll Alam.

43. anonymous Sat, 01 Aug 2009 06:31

2006 ... out of date. The ShowMeDo website has changed ...

42. anonymous Thu, 23 Jul 2009 10:41

This is the first video I've tried on ShowMeDo. It is very good. I am not a programmer so I have started with O'Reilly's "Learning Python" 3rd Edition which is excellent in my opinion.It is based on version 2.5. Maybe you mention it in the next vid in the series.

Thanks for making this vid and the rest.

(Now version 3 is out. How does a beginner start? Not much material on v3 but learning an old version seems unwise...)

41. anonymous Fri, 17 Jul 2009 16:42

very good; like the whole series so far

i found the python.org details useful as well the book recommendations

39. anonymous Wed, 15 Jul 2009 08:14

I have wanted to learn Python for a long time. I wish I had not put it off so long and am glad I found your site. Great Video's so far and keep up the awesome work.

37. anonymous Mon, 08 Jun 2009 13:35

Good video. Learning Paths are really great.

36. anonymous Wed, 03 Jun 2009 05:47

good video, wish I'd found this website at the beginning of Uni year, might not have failed my python unit 1st time round, sitting a retake in July so hunting for anything that will help.

35. anonymous Sat, 16 May 2009 22:29

I am taking an intro to programming class using: (Raptor) for flowcharting and (Python 2.5) for code. I have a little experience in pascal and visual basic but always became frustrated with programming. I thourghly enjoy Python and have all the books you referenced in this showmedo. It was very well laid out and not too fast or too slow. One thing I would like to better understand are the Pythonwin, Rurple, and perhaps a guide on what to use for 2-D games versus 3-D games or GUI games. I am currently trying to make a casino program with Craps, Roulette, Keno, and Slots in a 2-D or written format or basic shell input: ie.

**********

Craps

**********

"Please enter your name: "

(Press enter to roll)

3 4

"You rolled a 7"

Winner

(Do you wish to roll again?)

Any advice on how you might write this or a Roulette program would be greatly appreciated.

Keep up the great tutorials

Ernie

34. anonymous Sun, 03 May 2009 05:40

very nice

seems very outdated.. but that does not hurt I guess...

since the domains stayed the same. :)

32. anonymous Mon, 27 Apr 2009 10:22

Great video. I was pausing it as I went to make sure I got new web pages up on the multitude of URL sites suggested. Keep up the good work.

31. anonymous Mon, 27 Apr 2009 03:36

Very Informative.

Thank you.

Good into! Thanks for the book references and how they've helped you. I confess to being a dead tree guy, best way to learn is from a book if the writer knows how to communicate. Always helps to get rec. from someone who's been there.

28. anonymous Mon, 30 Mar 2009 16:09

Surprisingly good quality video.

It's already a bit dated, but I'll check out the next in the series.

Fair for handholding a beginner.

Could definitely be way more in-depth than this, including concepts like user groups, forums, mailing lists, IRC or the like.

27. anonymous Thu, 19 Mar 2009 13:35

Thanks for the tips. There's a lot to look into.

Very nice intro and resouces. Thanks!

25. anonymous Wed, 19 Mar 2008 13:14

Thanks for the extra resources. I don't think I understood what the "unofficial" tutorial was for, so I never paid it much attention.

I like that you're not afraid to give some strong recommendations for texts. There are so many to try, this will save me time.

Thanks for the compliment :-) We'd love to have Python Series 60 videos! We don't have any at present but would love to work with someone to produce some.

I have always used Nokia phones and I've always wanted to see how to get Python running on the wee devices.

Are there any takers?

23. anonymous Fri, 18 Jan 2008 23:09

superb site, but do you have any tutorials for Pys60. if developers can easily learn to program Nokia phones then perhaps mobiles will move forward leaps and bounds using Python.

22. anonymous Thu, 22 Nov 2007 12:32

Very nice, thank you.

I had found many of the sites, but not all.

I think the many sites and books can be a swamp for a beginner. Sure, list them all but suggest... start with this one. ( effbot's tutorial maybe ).

21. anonymous Fri, 19 Oct 2007 10:17

I think your style of telling things is simply wonderful. please keep up the good work. the resources and sites that you mentioned have been very helpful

20. anonymous Sun, 30 Sep 2007 13:39

Thank you.The viedo was very helpfull to me.

I often see your vedios which is very great for beginner

17. anonymous Mon, 02 Jul 2007 21:54

Great video, I appreciate the information on resources as I personally am just "Diving into Python"...On my way to checking the second video in the series, thanks again!

16. anonymous Fri, 06 Apr 2007 20:50

This is great! I programmed extensively in APL 30 years ago and have decided to get back into it via Python. It's so helpful to have the commentary and advice.

Great Job! More of this!

sOra, you might also want to see my latest series, Python Newbies on XP:

which could get you up and running with Python, showing you how to develop Python code with PyDev and IDLE, also debugging, refactoring and unit-testing.

Hi sOra, glad you like them! Maybe you can give me some more feedback on what sort of other videos you'd like to see? I have time now to create some more, longer sets and I need some inspiration.

Ian, I want to thank you much for creating these videos! I'm a complete "n00b" to python and programming in general, and your set of videos are very helpful!

Hi Forrest, thanks for the comment. A part of our original inspiration came from thinking about how much you can learn when you're looking over the shoulder of a fellow geek...that's what we've tried to emulate with this approach.

So good hear hear that you like it :-)

We have more videos coming, in particular I have a Python Newbies on XP set that is almost finished...

Great video's. More than just helpful...but simply great! Almost like having a live live tutor right there be side me. This type of presentation greatly helps, and it's much appricated.

I really liked the video. For someone who is about to start learning python, I found this video extremely helpful. As Mark said above me, it demystified a lot of things. Keep up the good work.

I like the video. Having some exposure to programming Cobal and Pascal. I started to dive into VisualBasicStudio2.0 .. Wow I was in too deep.

Being an Open Source promoter I thought I would check out other options. I came across Python recently and your video is excellent. I found it full of good information. Now, I feel Python is a good place to start. I like the book suggestions. I would like to see a list of recommend tools and editors for a beginner. A starting point if you will. You did mention several in the video. Please Keep up the good work you are doing.

good video. very informative. I'm new to pc programming (rpg thru and thru) and things like this are excellent value.

Hi,

This is great. A wonderful supplement to reading books about Python.

Very valuable indeed, you have demystified an impenetrable area of Python programming for me. You have a good presentation style, clear voice, not too fast and not too many concepts at once. Well done, I hope you will do more of these. Thank you!

Hi Ian,

I liked your two videos on Python resources. You showed me some that I hadn't checked before. The only addition I would suggest is <a href="www.effbot.org">effbot.org</a>. This is Fredrik Lundh's website, and a major trove of Python informatio n.

Re the python beginners videos, I thought these were excellent and will be recommending them in the future.

As a 10 year python user, I didn't learn much that was new except the existence of ShowMeDo itself. The whole site looks like a great resource, well done folks.

quite good idea part II was a little superficial but -as you said- there is need to follow-ups on specific topics like django , turbogears, wxpython. on the whole quite pleased.

Nice video as always. You cover a lot of questions that programmers that are new to Python would ask. One resource that you may want to mention is the comp.lang.python group. I was having a problem with a program that I am writing and posted a question about it and received a response with a working answer in less than a day.

[Note from Ian - Eric, you've pre-empted me! See my second video where I discuss the community and the comp.lang.python newsgroup :-)]

Kudos and Thanks for Ian

Learning Paths

This series lies on the following learning-paths. Learning-paths are a new initiative at Showmedo, to start structuring our content better. You can find out more here.