Name: [122] Steven Devijver
Description:

Simple variables in Perl [ID:108] (2/4)

in series: Introduction to Perl

video tutorial by Steven Devijver, added 03/07

In this second ShowMeDo on the Perl programming language Steven introduces how simple variables work in Perl.

Uploaded on 12th December 2006, running time 14 minutes. If you like Steven's video, you can show your appreciation by voting over at DZone.com.

• Published: Sometime before 1st March 2007 (in other words - we don't remember!)

It really helps

48. Warren Clarh Fri, 03 Sep 2010 09:53

very good

another good video

Nice video..thanks...on to the next video...

nice talk

Good intro

Very good vedio, i am learning perl started just when my project required perl script to be used in the project. Hope i will get most of the details down here

Very nice one

41. Darryl Bach Fri, 28 May 2010 05:26

EXCELLENT perl videos, really enjoy watching them and learning. This method is so much easier and quicker then reading out of a book.

40. Sivaraman Thu, 27 May 2010 00:05

Good one, Do it for advanced topics also.

39. Cletussitima Wed, 12 May 2010 04:46

Hello!

Very simplified tutorial, I have a question thought how can i export my perl output to a CSV file.

I have a perl program that i use to check link availability.

On my cisco routes when the links are down i want the program to send the findings to a CSV file.

Many thanks

38. mrfixit1170 Wed, 28 Apr 2010 20:31

Great vid......Helping me learn by doing instead of just reading a book....Thank you!

thanks alot, these are great videos to follow. you make them nice and easy to follow.

Another good video..

you have no idea how easy you are making this sound...thank you very much sir :)

Well instructed.

33. Chung Eng Tue, 02 Feb 2010 17:48

Hi Steven,

I am a beginner in Perl. Your video is a great help as an instructor.

Would probably just have gone through your videos one by one, but for the little flowchart on top with the smileys.

Thanks for the videos. I'm a Windows programmer now trying to pick up Perl on Ubuntu. Albeit a little slow for me, your videos are a helpful start.

Keep up the good work! Sarab.

Very informative.

I like it VERY MUCH, and expect there will be more not just 5 or 6 sessions, thank you

29. anonymous Sun, 27 Dec 2009 23:28

Great videos lookin forward from u for more videos

28. anonymous Sat, 19 Dec 2009 18:49

Good. Thanks.

27. anonymous Sat, 21 Nov 2009 19:30

Thank you. I am re-introducing myself to Perl on a home machine (WinXP/Pro) with the upcoming install of Strawberry Perl. I haven't used Perl since 1999 or 2000 and then only wrote one script, but it was a critical one that literally saved my corporate job! So, thank you Larry Wall.

Now, all these years later, I've again become interested in Perl and want to be able to go MUCH farther with it now than were my intentions/needs a decade ago. Thus, I am very grateful to find these video tutorials and hope you are inspired to create more.

In the meantime,

Peace and Love to You,

DeeJay

26. anonymous Sat, 21 Nov 2009 19:27

In the meantime,

Peace and Love to You,

DeeJay

25. anonymous Tue, 10 Nov 2009 13:24

Interesting video. I am just learning perl for some projects I have.

24. anonymous Sun, 13 Sep 2009 07:14

Yeahh,, keep up the good work!!

23. anonymous Thu, 03 Sep 2009 00:26

nice but would be better if u had covered the list and hashmap basics and how they are used in perl

22. anonymous Mon, 10 Aug 2009 05:11

nice video. \m/

21. anonymous Mon, 10 Aug 2009 05:11

nice video

20. anonymous Mon, 10 Aug 2009 04:20

video helped a lot for a beginner like me.. Thank you so much.

Hope you could post more videos on this site.. rock on.. \m/

19. anonymous Mon, 10 Aug 2009 04:20

video helped a lot for a beginner like me.. Thank you so much.

Hope you could post more videos on this site.. rock on.. \m/

18. anonymous Sat, 18 Jul 2009 05:14

nice quick guide for beginners.. tnx for sharing!

Please add more videos on Perl . Much appreciated. I work in IT ( came from noncomputer sc. back ground ). I tend to forget , command very fast. This kind of video is really good for a 47 years old (brave) person in the field of IT. Thank you so much again !!

Awesome!! More Perl please. Best tutorials I have seen yet. Thanks soo much!!!! More Please.

15. anonymous Wed, 25 Mar 2009 20:35

Again, great series on Perl programming language. Learning a lot and the instructor is very good at explaining and also considers common mistakes new users might make.

14. anonymous Mon, 02 Mar 2009 22:40

I really appreciate for all your efforts. I watched two lessons, which are clear and helps people like me as beginners.

Steven stated something that is wrong about which "boolean" scalar variables are true vs false. Steven indicated that scalars with integer values of 0 or less were False, actually it's only 0 that is false and all negatives and all positives are true. Strings are true except for the empty string and a string of "0".

Here are the "official" rules (according to [1] Programming Perl, 3rd Edition):

1. Any string is true except for "" and "0".

2. Any number is true except for 0.

3. Any reference is true.

4. Any undefined value is false.

[1] http://my.safaribooksonline.com/0596000278/pperl3-CHP-1-SECT-6

12. anonymous Sat, 26 Jul 2008 10:58

really nice! I want to learn how to use perl to search one word among my files of my linux machine

11. anonymous Tue, 17 Jun 2008 00:53

Review of Simple variables in Perl

Wonderful pages! Keep up the grat work.

Review of Simple variables in Perl

Hi

When can i expect other video's on perl... If have time please mail at manikandan.param@gnss.com

9. anonymous Tue, 27 Nov 2007 20:47

I\'l be back... :)

8. anonymous Mon, 26 Nov 2007 20:15

Wonderful pages! Keep up the grat work.

7. anonymous Fri, 05 Oct 2007 19:44

thanks steven,

im just starting up learning perl, since i need it to do linux administration, very informative

6. anonymous Sat, 04 Aug 2007 07:02

Very good

Very Nice Thanks Steven

4. anonymous Mon, 14 May 2007 14:28

Nice. Thanks steven !

very nice , thank you very much!

very nice; i know perl, but enjoyed seeing the basics presented in a coherent, clear manner. i think i'll look at those languages i don't know now

Nice job Steven. I am just starting to learn Pearl and am looking forward to your other tutorials. It would be nice if below the video you could have a list of upcoming videos.

Kudos and Thanks for Steven