Name: [122] Steven Devijver
Description:

'Hello World' with Perl [ID:091] (1/4)

in series: Introduction to Perl

video tutorial by Steven Devijver, added 03/07

A short introduction to running Perl scripts on a Unix, Linux or Cygwin system. In this video Steven shows you how to get started with Perl in what hopefully becomes a ShowMeDo series.

This could be the start of a Perl series - leave feedback below to say what else you'd like to see!

Would you show your appreciation if you like this video? You can visit DZone.com and vote for this video and you can leave a comment below saying Thanks to the author.

Uploaded on 30th November 2006, running time 7 minutes.

Resource:

• Published: Sometime before 1st March 2007 (in other words - we don't remember!)

121. lomitko Fri, 15 Oct 2010 05:28

Hi Steven,

thank you for your time. Since I need to learn some Perl I'll be following your next tutorials. There are few things, however, I'd wish to comment on.

You've managed to teach a little unix here and there without telling so (so that one might think that chmod +x is perl), a little of vi and why you like it (i like it too), and so on, but very little perl. The way I see it, the only thing one learns here is that "perl is an interpreted programming language". The rest is redundant for those who know, and far too ambiguous for a computer newbie to understand.

120. Rita Atkinson Wed, 13 Oct 2010 14:38

thank you well done.

119. ranjana tiwari Sun, 26 Sep 2010 23:02

Very good video.Some videos for a little bigger and complex program will be very helpful in learning.

118. fernando chura flores Sun, 26 Sep 2010 18:13

this is good tutorial

if you would be present some more over perlintro

NICE

116. Krishna Sat, 04 Sep 2010 14:53

Great video for a learner like me.

Thanks a lot.

very good. I am quite impressed

113. Warren Clarh Fri, 03 Sep 2010 09:36

Very good presentation. You made we aware that I need to learn and have a good understanding of Unix terminal commands.

112. Krishna Thu, 02 Sep 2010 22:19

Great video for a learner like me.

Thanks a lot.

111. Krishna Thu, 02 Sep 2010 21:51

Great video for a learner like me.

Thanks a lot.

110. krishna kumar manchikanti Fri, 20 Aug 2010 21:51

IT is very nice. I am a beginner in perl. It's very useful. Please make more videos on pel.

Thanks...good video

i wants to see more python tutors

Nice intro to using perl...on to your next video...eeb2

I like it very much, I am a beginner and it is the best introduction one can look at

Thanks Steven it is a good introduction session on PERL

My question is how can PERL help in writing automated testing, I am wondering if you can create a video showing a test case that is running a test and how can we modify that test case to do more testing, this is what we see in the new jobs requirements in product development

AJY

104. Tony Ravindran Sun, 01 Aug 2010 06:59

nice intro! makes it easier to learn for busy people.pls keep making these videos, they are very useful

103. Mohammad Oves Sat, 31 Jul 2010 15:53

A good start. But long way to cover !

Keep up good work guys!!

Very clever tutorial, its good to know some tricks of linux too.. will like to here more about perl on linux environment, and also on a suggested IDE

Excellent tutorial!

I can't wait to get started on the next one.

Great general intro.

Great job! Thanks for the video. It'd be much appreciated if you could make some more.

Regards,

Shravan

thanks you mr.Steven Devijver for your effer

it verry nice master peace

97. Peter Crilly Wed, 09 Jun 2010 05:07

Hi Steven,

I've just watched the first video in your "Intrdroduction to Perl" series. I found it most helpful.

Peter

It was really nice quick start

95. JackTheRipper Fri, 04 Jun 2010 12:41

Thanks man. Very easy to follow thanks alot!

Great!

Excellent VDO n explanation for beginners...

92. Sebastian Drude Thu, 27 May 2010 12:53

fine, thank you! will study more...

91. Saravana Kumar Sun, 23 May 2010 02:59

Cool Man....

Good video ...

90. Biplab Paul Tue, 04 May 2010 22:38

Knowledgeable video...

Thanks & Regards

Biplab

89. mrfixit1170 Tue, 27 Apr 2010 19:21

Great intro....I would like to see more vid's...... thank you

88. SASIDHAR Sat, 10 Apr 2010 14:49

Great job Steve.

For a beginner this video really helps to learn more.

in perl words

print "kudos...appreciate your efforts.\n"

this is a good start for me, Tnx

I don't have any programming background. But this video is good which makes me think perl is easy to pick up.

Keep up the good job.

--Jaim--

thanks a lot...for starters very useful....i was worried a lot abt how to get started

thanks

want to learn more with you.. Thanks..

excellent intro video......please make the complete videos....thx in advance.!!

Good stuff. One tiny remark. The command ls -all is actually equivalent to ls -a -l -l where the -a flag says to list files and directories starting with dot (.) and -l says to list in long format (including permission flags, etc). The second -l is ignored and the -a flag is not needed since we just want to list test.pl.

Very need video tutorial. Thanks a lot for putting this up for all beginners.... Its such a great help... Thanks again.. :-)

this video was very helpful for me....please upload more...

Good Intro video for Perl!!

77. Josberto Vieira Thu, 28 Jan 2010 12:28

[tradukita al esperanta lingvo por la Mondo. Vidu!]

Mallonga enkonduko uzas Perlajn skribojn sur Unikso, Linŭkso kaj Cygwin sistemojn. En ĉi tiu video, Steven montras al vi kiel ricevi per Perl en kia espereme fariĝas ShowMeDo-serio.

ATENTU! Analizo rezignita pro manko de alternativoj! Ĉi tio povus esti la komenco de serio Perl, lasu reagojn sub por diri, kio se ne vi 'kiel vidi!

Ĉu vi montrus vian dankecon, se ĉi tiu video plaĉus al vi? Vi povas viziti DZone.com kaj voĉi por ĉi-tiu video kaj vi povas lasi komenton sub dirado-Danko al la aŭtoro.

Alŝutita en la 30-a de novembro 2006, kurante tempon el 7 minutojn

76. John Denis Wed, 27 Jan 2010 09:41

You do not need my vote. You are internally motivated. Keep up the good work. You get my vote.

It is very use full

Good Video.

73. Bernhard Kaupe Thu, 21 Jan 2010 09:11

Hi,

as I am a complete novice to Perl, I find it most helpful to see your videos for the first steps. Thick textbooks tend to make one lonely.

Cheers Bernhard

72. Rafofcron Fri, 15 Jan 2010 16:02

Hi Steven,

Very good. Please don't stop making videos. I want to learn more, please! Thank you.

1. thanks a lot a great tutorial

2. I like the fact that you teach a little bit of shell and linux while you are at it, it's great

This is very helpful.Thank you for sharing your knowledge

Very good introduction, thank you.

that's very helpful for the starter, thank you

67. anonymous Sun, 03 Jan 2010 08:23

Interesting :)

66. anonymous Sat, 02 Jan 2010 11:51

Wonderful tutorial!!!!!!!.......

65. anonymous Sat, 19 Dec 2009 18:32

Thank you for publishing this video, it is very helpful for people like me starting with Perl. I would like to be able to send you some emails with questions if it is possible.

Best regards,

Raul.

64. anonymous Fri, 18 Dec 2009 08:51

This was really a nice video to teach how to start perl programming.

thanks a lot

Sarvesh

63. anonymous Sun, 06 Dec 2009 19:35

The basic PERL tutorial is quiet good !

62. anonymous Wed, 02 Dec 2009 09:21

Merci Steven ! I used pico as a texteditor on Mac OSx 'cause vi was not really responding to the abbreviations given; comments about changing permission for all users to be able to execute the test file was very useful !

Cheers

61. anonymous Thu, 26 Nov 2009 20:30

Excellent, kind and helpful video. :-).

60. anonymous Fri, 20 Nov 2009 06:59

Very useful for the beginning Perl

I will finish all the tutorials.

Thank you.

59. anonymous Sat, 14 Nov 2009 04:01

very useful

58. anonymous Sat, 14 Nov 2009 04:00

very useful

57. anonymous Tue, 10 Nov 2009 10:21

great job! i'm new, and i use it and it helpfull!

56. anonymous Fri, 06 Nov 2009 06:11

thanks , im trying to figure this stuff out. Great

55. anonymous Thu, 22 Oct 2009 21:08

Not to bad!!!!,Needs to be longer with more information,to easy.

54. anonymous Wed, 21 Oct 2009 09:56

Really like your perl videos. Thanks,

PK.

53. anonymous Tue, 20 Oct 2009 20:49

very helpful!

52. anonymous Thu, 15 Oct 2009 12:36

Thanks for taking the time to do the video

51. anonymous Thu, 15 Oct 2009 09:40

wonderful for starters

50. anonymous Sun, 13 Sep 2009 06:54

Nice intro on Perl, thanks. I will be watching te next..

49. anonymous Sat, 12 Sep 2009 19:35

This is great... simple, clear ... especially if you know nothing about the subject and need to run a perl script...

48. anonymous Fri, 11 Sep 2009 15:14

Great and Simple Perl Video...even gave me some interest in the dreadful vi. Please do more videos Stev! I'm going to watch the remaining 3 videos...Thx. Aa

47. anonymous Fri, 11 Sep 2009 03:22

I short but nice intro, good for a noob like me.

46. anonymous Thu, 03 Sep 2009 00:05

Had a good intro on perl

45. anonymous Sat, 29 Aug 2009 10:58

great for starters

44. anonymous Mon, 24 Aug 2009 00:20

It is very useful for me, thank you very much.

43. anonymous Mon, 17 Aug 2009 13:06

Hi Steven,

We encourage you to do more videos.

Regards,

Naveen.

42. anonymous Sun, 16 Aug 2009 15:20

Very good, Nice introduction. I did some perl years ago and this is a good refresher.

41. anonymous Mon, 10 Aug 2009 23:27

This perl tutorial is a best start for a person who don't know PERL.

40. anonymous Wed, 05 Aug 2009 20:03

thank you,very helpful basics,like to see using eclipse ide with epic plugin,and how to run the same thing.

39. anonymous Tue, 28 Jul 2009 18:45

Great videos, its nice to see a programming intro that is short and to the point.

38. anonymous Fri, 24 Jul 2009 02:56

yeah ,may be good

37. anonymous Tue, 07 Jul 2009 05:48

your videos are very nice and quite useful for beginers. But there is a need for advance version of Perl to learn through video. I hope you will definately do in this direction too.

with thank

rajendra

36. anonymous Wed, 17 Jun 2009 12:09

Nice presentation

35. anonymous Mon, 15 Jun 2009 13:25

yah! Actually i also want to learn more . so but........ im not a perfect man and im here in first time to viisit here so how to i get to learn more.......

34. anonymous Fri, 12 Jun 2009 10:31

...

33. anonymous Fri, 12 Jun 2009 03:43

Awesome. I would like to learn more. This is very effective

32. anonymous Thu, 21 May 2009 09:53

Excellent work !!

31. anonymous Thu, 30 Apr 2009 08:44

good

30. anonymous Sun, 19 Apr 2009 08:42

Steven,

I normally program c# and java in gui mode. I wanted to learn perl on cygwin very quickly. This helped a lot! Thanks.

28. anonymous Wed, 08 Apr 2009 12:18

Excellent tutorial.. more of these should be great!

Nice explanation on how you comment these steps too.. fantastic!

27. anonymous Wed, 01 Apr 2009 03:41

Thanks for this perl tutorial

26. anonymous Wed, 25 Mar 2009 20:17

Love this series, very helpful. Thank you!

25. anonymous Tue, 24 Mar 2009 02:36

it is very good video. Please add more videos

24. anonymous Sat, 21 Mar 2009 02:56

excellent

23. anonymous Fri, 20 Mar 2009 12:12

need to learn Perl

22. anonymous Mon, 23 Feb 2009 21:38

Thank u Very much, i like the way u teach.

21. anonymous Thu, 20 Nov 2008 20:40

Would it be possible if you can write perl scripts that submit a job like an oracle procedure that need to be run.

Thanks a lot. Great job!

Nice videos, very helpful! Thanks for making vidoes for Perl. Are you going to make to more videos on the Perl programming language?

18. anonymous Fri, 13 Jun 2008 09:36

i work on win xp .. with //cygwin//

sorry for the stupid question and for my english ...

BUT, When i hold "control" and "D" it will be nothing .. is it on Windows Difrent ? When yes .. what i must click or hold to Get THE result of pearl...

sorry my english, i hope someone can understand ..

thx

I've been through several Perl tutorials lately. This is the first one that explained the Unix conventions (#! usr/bin/perl, etc.) in a way that made it clear why the practices became conventions. I'll never forget it now because I understand why! Many thanks.

Just a great video. Very useful .Thanks for sharing your knowledge whit us. And Please keep doing it ;)

Also and off topic, how to get that yellow highlighting mouse cursor? I'm using Gentoo.

15. anonymous Thu, 21 Feb 2008 12:06

You are better to use

perl -e "<line to execute>"

if you just want to execute a line from the command line

If you want to commands executed interactively , try

perl -de1

you will be dropped into the perl debugger and can happily execute commands line per line

Review of 'Hello World' with Perl

Hi,

I am using Eclipse IDE for run perl scripts. Can u please add videos using that environment also. Many of them will b using it as they have integrated perl into Eclipse. Thanks.

regards,

pavan

13. anonymous Thu, 22 Nov 2007 11:41

Very useful for noobs like me ;)

12. anonymous Tue, 16 Oct 2007 21:34

Thanks for the video, it's better than my Operating Systems class.

11. anonymous Sat, 13 Oct 2007 20:40

Thanks for the video

10. anonymous Wed, 10 Oct 2007 07:06

Thanks for the video...very helpful..

9. anonymous Thu, 27 Sep 2007 11:07

I really Enjoyed this thank you for taking the time to add these videos on perl.

I am a Linux Lover for 3 years, I came to know this site from google videos. Searching for perl video tutors and Ubuntu installation procedure from this site. Thanks to the Founders of this site and linux founder. Keep it up.

Very Good Site for all Linux lovers.

7. anonymous Sat, 04 Aug 2007 06:35

Nice lecture on PERL programming.

Very thankful to u.

Thanks for your videos!

They are realy usefull!

Could you please add videos for Perl/Tk programming?

Also, do you know any utility that can turn the perl scripts into stand-alone EXEs?

Hi Steven. I just wanted to say Thanks for you taking the effort to record this series :-)

I have barely dabbled with Perl in the past, I stick with Python (after 4 years I'm pretty proficient at solving problems in no time at all now). It is interesting seeing the differences in syntax between the two.

It is nice also that you show how to edit a file and how to set the eXecutable bit from the command line...so many tips can only help beginners to get going quickly.

Cheers!

It may be good a idea to do a video showing how to install and properly configure cygwin for this purpose. Windows users may or may not know what is really needed if they have little or no Linux experience.

Very Good, I didn't know this site, but i really like it now. would be great if you make more videos about Perl, it's a very good way to learn...

Congratulations!

Erik, thanks for your comment. While learning Perl I advise to use Cygwin instead of ActivePerl, first of all because Perl on Cygwin is much closer to the original than ActivePerl. And secondly because what I'll show in my videos will always work on Cygwin but not necessarily on ActiveState.

You could also install the ActiveState perl package if you are on a Windows machine. It should use less space than cygwin.

Kudos and Thanks for Steven