Name: [017] fabiofz
Description:

Introducing the PyDev IDE for Eclipse [ID:029] (2/2)

in series: PyDev Eclipse IDE Videos

video tutorial by fabiofz, added 03/07

PyDev is a free Eclipse plug-in that transforms Eclipse into a powerful Python and Jython development environment.

This ShowMeDo explains how to get started with PyDev (v1.0.6). It starts with the steps needed to configure your project correctly, shows a little about code-completion and demonstrates the basics of debugging. This video is based on the getting started manual. Also see the PyDev blog.

You might also want to see ShowMeDos for Wing, SPE and IPython.

Uploaded 15th May, running time 6:21, file size 10mb.

• Published: Sometime before 1st March 2007 (in other words - we don't remember!)

very good

97. Parag Bhargava Sat, 04 Sep 2010 16:09

Excellent piece of work!!

while True:

reply = raw_input('Enter text: ')

if reply == 'stop':break

print(reply.upper())

#that works

bom video, mas o Fabio é muito monotônico

Very helpful, please make more

Good introduction by the man who made pydev a real tool.

92. Werner Sprung Thu, 10 Jun 2010 03:03

video is good but a little bit louder please

Love the laid back commentary

90. Sanjit Paul Sat, 01 May 2010 23:21

It is really good . Awesome Work Man :)

Thanks for the good lesson about how to write a "Hello World" script in PyDev. :-)

88. Shawn Mclean Fri, 19 Mar 2010 19:41

Great Video for a starter getting to setup pydev. But in terms of the language itself, you jumped right into classes and I'm guessing those init stuff are constructors. I lost it when you started coding.

87. Simon Brusch Thu, 18 Mar 2010 08:45

Thanks. Seeing it actually happen always make it easier to understand.

My next 2 questions are:

- help with parameters in method calls

- can I run and review unittests in PyDev?

86. Ralph Lyle Sat, 13 Mar 2010 22:20

I'm new to Eclipse and Python and I'm on Win Xp.

I've installed PyDev as a plug-in for Eclipse, and so far

have received no error messages.

But I am having trouble figuring out how to do a final over-

all check using the file interpreterInfo.py. I know where

this file is located on my hard disk - I just don't know how to run this file 'from the command prompt'.

Do I have to be in Python to run it?

I tried running it from a windows prompt - that didn't work.

I have a Python command prompt , but I don't know how

to change directories while in Python.

In the Pydev manual it says to execute the

interpreterinfo.py file. But I don't know how to do that.

the name/email is fake, but the comment is not. the video was a very helpful startup tool - thanks!

84. Michael Williams Sun, 28 Feb 2010 12:30

Excellent! It is my belief that every subject has an intrinsic simplicity when it is fully understood. I believe, by the time most authors achieve that understanding, they have forgotten what was not apparent when they first approached the subject. Those fundamental answers are want make the subject approachable. This video is excellent!! The author clearly knows his subject well and is still able to present this material for the view point of some new to the topic. Well done and Thank you.

Please make more it is easy to understand !!!

82. Hellmut Gerichhausen Sun, 07 Feb 2010 05:27

Another great explanation on setup,

Thanks a lot.

Hi James,

Please ask for support in the Pydev forum. See: http://pydev.org/about.html

p.s.: Please also add information on the Python version you're using.

80. James Ogletree Sun, 31 Jan 2010 16:09

fabiofz, I have PyDev installed on Eclipse classic on windows and it works. But, only one problem, I noticed: the while statement does not work properly. I run

while True:

reply = input('Enter text: ')

if reply == 'stop': break

print(reply.upper())

The loop keeps running after I type in the world stop. Help me! Other than that everything works fine.

79. annonymous Sun, 24 Jan 2010 17:35

thank you for doing this ..

thanks for your presentation,please speak loudly,i can't heard clearly

77. anonymous Mon, 04 Jan 2010 06:16

Uses the pydev extension and the python interpreter setup was easy with this video.

76. anonymous Tue, 29 Dec 2009 10:41

Thank you!

It's a great deal!

75. anonymous Thu, 24 Dec 2009 12:14

Like your other video the content is good but sounds like your talking to yourself and mumbling all the time. You need to talk louder and more clearly as you would in front of an audience

74. anonymous Thu, 10 Dec 2009 18:00

Thanks for doing this! It was very helpful.

73. anonymous Mon, 30 Nov 2009 12:42

Now i can add my source folder in to the project.

72. anonymous Fri, 27 Nov 2009 14:19

Thank you, sir! That was quite helpful.

71. anonymous Tue, 24 Nov 2009 23:46

Excelent

70. anonymous Sat, 14 Nov 2009 10:04

thanks for simple english for foreign ppl

lot of hesitations

i miss some explanations about module and what he is doing as all i know from python is some commands, but may be my fault

69. anonymous Tue, 10 Nov 2009 08:52

Thanks for your sharing!

68. anonymous Sun, 08 Nov 2009 09:02

Good work, nice presentation...

67. anonymous Wed, 28 Oct 2009 01:51

really really helpful intro. i've been messing w/ eclipse for most of a day and didn't pick up a fraction of what you covered.

thank you so much for going to the trouble to make the video.

65. anonymous Sun, 11 Oct 2009 22:53

hi, excellent

tnx

64. anonymous Fri, 09 Oct 2009 10:02

Thanks alot. Very helpful to me in starting with pydev. Glad I found this video

63. anonymous Fri, 09 Oct 2009 03:48

I liked the screencast, it is done with a latin america's sharm, I had a colleague Fabio, very good memories. Good luck with PyDev and enjoy!

62. anonymous Thu, 08 Oct 2009 13:23

Thanks for taking the time to make the video. It was a help to get me started.

61. anonymous Sat, 03 Oct 2009 00:03

Thanks for all of your work on pydev. It is really well put together and I use it nearly every day.

60. anonymous Thu, 01 Oct 2009 04:54

*Thanks*

59. anonymous Fri, 11 Sep 2009 17:48

I enjoyed the demo.

58. anonymous Fri, 11 Sep 2009 05:13

Thanks for the great plugin and the nice video.

57. anonymous Wed, 09 Sep 2009 22:09

nice, thank you very much. i found this link when i wonder why code completion not shown when i want to see wx.Frame object

56. anonymous Fri, 04 Sep 2009 03:32

Good as the 1st

55. anonymous Tue, 01 Sep 2009 09:46

good for a start

54. anonymous Wed, 26 Aug 2009 12:49

Thankyou, it was clear enough!

53. anonymous Tue, 18 Aug 2009 08:39

great job!

52. anonymous Mon, 17 Aug 2009 05:57

very useful, good pace, thank you!

51. anonymous Tue, 11 Aug 2009 15:06

thank You that helped me to do the first steps

lui

50. anonymous Mon, 10 Aug 2009 14:11

49. anonymous Wed, 29 Jul 2009 08:16

Great tutorial, just what i was looking for, an introduction to pydev and eclipse.

Thankyou very much!!

48. anonymous Tue, 28 Jul 2009 07:55

Thanks.

47. anonymous Sat, 25 Jul 2009 09:22

cool. Thanks for making this. I learnt something today. :)

46. anonymous Thu, 23 Jul 2009 08:14

Thank you very much for your tutorial. Is really concise and it's a very good quickstart video to get started with PyDev.

Thanks a lot from Spain.

45. anonymous Mon, 20 Jul 2009 15:15

Nice "getting stated" tutorial.

44. anonymous Mon, 20 Jul 2009 05:47

Thank fabiofz your video on setting up pydev was really helpful. I've actually been using pydev+ eclipse for over a year and have learnt some new tricks by watching your vid. Thx again!

43. anonymous Wed, 15 Jul 2009 11:54

Thanks. Very useful.

You should talk louder :D

42. anonymous Sun, 12 Jul 2009 15:06

very useful

40. anonymous Sun, 12 Jul 2009 06:39

very helpful - THANKS!

39. anonymous Thu, 02 Jul 2009 01:21

Nice, seemed to make good sense to me. Now all i need to do is work out how to do python.

38. anonymous Mon, 29 Jun 2009 12:56

Cool.

Txs for both PyDev and the tuts.

Another tut would be great. Perhaps covering refactoring. Something like PyDev 102 / 103!

best,

Miguel

37. anonymous Fri, 26 Jun 2009 11:16

Loved the presentation -- in 10 minutes I'm already up and running (amazing!)

36. anonymous Sat, 06 Jun 2009 11:41

Good starting video. It gives a clear idea about PyDev basic but powerful capabilities. Great!

Regards,

Herman

35. anonymous Fri, 05 Jun 2009 03:04

I have never used Eclipse, and am very new to Python. Your video on PyDev showed me some things I can expect. I am familiar with Delphi IDE. It appears many similar features are available in PyDev.

34. anonymous Tue, 19 May 2009 07:59

Good to me such a jython starter.

33. anonymous Mon, 18 May 2009 16:38

Thanks for providing

32. anonymous Fri, 15 May 2009 15:11

Great tutorial. Simple, concise and very informative.

31. anonymous Sat, 09 May 2009 08:14

Good. quick and clear.

30. anonymous Tue, 05 May 2009 07:52

Thanks, I'm used to using gvim / vi under Unix/Linux, so evaluating eclipse with PyDev.

I also just stumbled across the ShowMeDo web page. I teach Computer Science at Kansas State University, so I'm wondering about viability of using this site to interact with others using Python and possibly publishing some videos of my own.

Tim Bower

29. anonymous Sun, 26 Apr 2009 02:07

good. quick and to the point

28. anonymous Sun, 26 Apr 2009 02:07

good. quick and too the point

27. anonymous Sat, 25 Apr 2009 22:35

very detailed and I am up and running

26. anonymous Fri, 24 Apr 2009 09:31

very useful . thanks

24. anonymous Thu, 09 Apr 2009 14:17

Excellent video and thank you for PyDev in general!!!

23. anonymous Thu, 09 Apr 2009 14:16

Excellent video and thank you for PyDev in general!!!

22. anonymous Sun, 29 Mar 2009 13:35

Thanks a lot.

PyDev is a GREAT piece of code. Eclipse+PyDev is the best way for python development.

For a beginner like myself it was of great help.

20. anonymous Fri, 27 Mar 2009 11:17

I found your video using Google. I installed Eclipse 3.4.2 and PyDev 1.4.4. Some screens looked different from ones in your video, but I was able to configure my environment. Thank you for making the video. - JK

18. anonymous Wed, 18 Mar 2009 01:02

good

17. anonymous Mon, 02 Mar 2009 19:30

Thanks for the intro to Pydev! It was a little difficult to follow, only because I've never used Eclipse before. (I've used other IDE's, including Visual Studio, IDLE, and PythonWin.) But I'm interested in this now.

16. anonymous Fri, 02 Jan 2009 23:19

good video, but info went to fast after opening the new "perspective" when bugging. Guess I'll be heading over to fabioz's website to see if he has more info there.

15. anonymous Thu, 28 Aug 2008 22:04

Awesome videos, thanks for the effort.

Great little video. I am going to try PyDev now, thanks!

I noticed at least on menu selection being made "off the bottom of the screen", I am not sure how you could avoid that.

13. anonymous Tue, 17 Jun 2008 17:13

Thanks for this - as an experienced C# developer, this was useful from several angles and gave me a nice overview of developing in Python using pydev.

I tried it and printed out hello world. But for some strange reason, the auto completion and highlight features are not working. I downloaded the .zip file and put the plugin and features contents correspondingly in Eclipse's and also gave Eclipse the python. exe location.

11. anonymous Thu, 28 Feb 2008 18:48

thx thx thx, i love pydev and eclipse.

10. anonymous Wed, 06 Feb 2008 11:43

Excellent tool.

Thanks for your work!

9. anonymous Fri, 18 Jan 2008 21:15

Thank you for sharing your video with us. I will try PyDev today.

8. anonymous Thu, 25 Oct 2007 15:45

I use Eclipse for Java development, and trying to evaluate if it is also suitable for Python. Fabio's Video was exactly what i was looking for to make a decision.

Excellent Video.

7. anonymous Fri, 18 May 2007 11:52

I found the video useful just to get pydev up and running. I'd never used Eclipse before (having used Netbneans for Java and Pythonwin/vim for python) but had heard such good things about pydev thought I'd give it a try. The video helped a lot - I'd never have guessed about changing "perspective" for example! - Alan G.

6. anonymous Tue, 13 Mar 2007 11:22

Fabio speaks too little but types too fast. His Pydev presentation is good but needs to flow at the right speed.

Hi Srikanth. Thanks for the comment, I'm sure Fabio will like to know that the videos were useful to you. You aren't the only person who used the videos to make a choice of IDE, for sure :-)

Regards,

I am a newbie to Python but I have a good programming experience with Java. Eclipse is the IDE that I had been using during my days with Java. Very recently I shifted from Java to Python (I'm still learning) and the best IDE I found so far is PyDev by Fabio.

It's a wonderful plug-in which makes good use of the features provided by the Eclipse platform and it provides us with a lot of facilities which reduces some burden while programming (like code-completion, etc). This video is an excellent intro to whoever programs in Python to get started with PyDev.

There is another video by Fabio wherein he talks about PyDev extensions, so do not miss it.

Great job Fabio, expecting more good changes to PyDev and PyDev extensions. Keep going.

-- Srikanth

Good intro. PyDev is a great enhancement to Python. Thanks you.

Very good introduction.

Eclipse began as a proprietary Java development tool by IBM, but subsequently released as open source. It is now extremely popular with Java coders. Eclipse's designers intended it to be a platform for other languages as well, via "plugins". Aleks Totic took up the challenge of creating a Python plugin (PyDev), and subsequently passed the torch to Fabio Zadrozny.

If you are just starting to write code, you may want to stay with a Python shell such as IPython and a Python-aware editor such as Crimson Editor, or use IDLE which comes with the Python distribution. Many first-class coders use nothing more than Vim (or emacs) and IPython. Eclipse is a 100M download and needs 512M of memory. There is also a non-trival learning curve. But if you find that you need an industrial strength IDE, you should consider PyDev along with Wing and SPE.

Fabio himself made the videos for PyDev. I recommend that you download them to your hard drive so that you can refer to them when you first install PyDev. Fabio covers the ground very quickly, and I found that I had to play them more than once. It will save you a lot of time, especially when configuring Eclipse for PyDev. I also was impressed by how well Eclipse/PyDev performed in the hands of an expert. It convinced me to try it.

Good job, Fabio.