Name: [017] fabiofz
Description:

Introducing PyDev Extensions [ID:030] (1/2)

in series: PyDev Eclipse IDE Videos

video tutorial by fabiofz, added 03/07

Pydev Extensions is a plug-in that works with PyDev to deliver an enhanced development environment, providing (among other features) code-analysis, code completion with auto-import, an excellent implementation of 'go to definition', remote debugging, 'quick-fixes', etc.

This video passes through some of the 'power-features': its many code-completion flavours, helpers to navigate through source code, code analysis and quick-fixes. More information can be found in the manual.

You might also want to see ShowMeDos for Wing, SPE and IPython.

Uploaded 17th May, running time 6:15, file size 12mb.

• Published: Sometime before 1st March 2007 (in other words - we don't remember!)

77. ichang hu Tue, 28 Sep 2010 18:46

thanks.

Thanks. I am looking for an overview on how to develop a professional application. Mainly looking for tools, standards and approach to release a product.

It is cool, thank you!

Good intro to pydev thnx

73. Parag Bhargava Sat, 04 Sep 2010 16:23

Excellent!!

Again, very interesting. I'm piqued, but it still seems to assume a high degree of prior python knowledge- is there a more comprehensive introduction if even as text?

cool, please make more fabio

Nice video. I'd been using pydev for a while now and find it very good.

This video was something that pushed me to try it.

thanks.

67. Jan Vlčinský Tue, 03 Aug 2010 11:50

Great work. Your presentation shows, you feel the user on the other side.

Thanks for the work

Very informative tutorial! Thank you!

I am new and could like to learn Pydev.

Your video is interesting.

Regards

Steven

Simply perfect. Thanks for making them.

63. Andreas Bill Mon, 24 May 2010 00:57

Nice short and to the point videos!

Great video on a great tool!

I've been using PyDev for a while, but this video helped me to remember a few useful features that I had forgotten.

Nice video... very interesting.. especially the way you ask for feedback!!!

Thank you fabio for sharing your knowledge with us. I find your video clips very informative and right to the point.

Very handy. One improvement would be to have a functionality descrioption displayed next to the keystroke text that performs it. Would make it clear what you pres to do what.

Thanks for a good introduction to some editor features.

57. mark pennock Tue, 23 Mar 2010 08:17

Thanks for the tutorial!

56. Simon Brusch Thu, 18 Mar 2010 08:33

Good intro.

I would like to see if PyDev helps with aguments to method calls - maybe that is in the next video.

55. Hellmut Gerichhausen Sun, 07 Feb 2010 05:11

Thanks on that items. This helps a lot.

sound is too low but otherwise a good video.

53. Paul Hildebrandt Wed, 06 Jan 2010 23:15

Very nicely done. Great taste of how good Python/Eclipse are together with PyDev.

52. anonymous Tue, 29 Dec 2009 05:37

Excellent!

I think I'll switch to Eclipse Pydev since it seems really powerful.

Thanks to Fabio for all his work, explanations and answers to the users list.

Dominique

51. anonymous Thu, 24 Dec 2009 12:06

Would have nice if the audio was a lot louder

50. anonymous Sun, 06 Dec 2009 00:19

Good illustrations of functionality. Which version of PyDev was this?

49. anonymous Tue, 24 Nov 2009 23:39

Nice

48. anonymous Thu, 12 Nov 2009 15:56

Thank you for your time and assistance.

the first clearly understandable help about pydev for me. thanks a lot!

46. anonymous Sun, 25 Oct 2009 14:57

good explanation of completion

45. anonymous Thu, 08 Oct 2009 13:47

Interesting and valuable tool. Thanks for the video introduction.

44. anonymous Sun, 04 Oct 2009 06:29

Could be just me, but audio is a little out of sync, exp. keystrokes

43. anonymous Thu, 17 Sep 2009 18:37

Pithy intro with less fluff. Good job.

42. anonymous Tue, 15 Sep 2009 09:56

Thank you for this good introduction for Pydev

41. anonymous Mon, 07 Sep 2009 10:04

Thanks this really explained a lot about the pydev gui.

40. anonymous Fri, 04 Sep 2009 03:24

Excellent quality, I enjoied it!

39. anonymous Tue, 01 Sep 2009 12:40

good start

38. anonymous Mon, 24 Aug 2009 09:56

how did you get the xml completion to work? Was it something in the preferences? I can't get it to work. I've followed the tutorial carefully.

Little help?

37. anonymous Fri, 31 Jul 2009 02:46

Great screencast

36. anonymous Thu, 23 Jul 2009 08:22

Really nice!

35. anonymous Tue, 21 Jul 2009 14:35

thx

34. anonymous Mon, 20 Jul 2009 15:07

I needed a quick overview to tell me if eclipse was worth a try for my python programming. This video gave me just that. And yes, I will take Eclipse with Pydev for a spin.

33. anonymous Thu, 02 Jul 2009 07:59

Nice, I'm a die-hard vim dude but setting up a client with pydev and I will definitely check it out more; looks really cool actually.

32. anonymous Fri, 26 Jun 2009 13:15

Thanks for demonstrating how sophisticated the Aptana Pydev IDE. I'm moving up from IDLE!

31. anonymous Sat, 20 Jun 2009 08:16

30. anonymous Sat, 20 Jun 2009 07:58

Thanks, your video has encouraged me to get PyDev knowing that I won't be thinking 'where do I start?' straight away.

29. anonymous Thu, 18 Jun 2009 15:12

28. anonymous Wed, 10 Jun 2009 16:29

using wingware now

27. anonymous Sat, 06 Jun 2009 12:47

curious about news

26. anonymous Fri, 29 May 2009 13:58

well done. great explannation. will try pydev

25. anonymous Sat, 23 May 2009 12:07

Excellent video. Usefull shortucs to make the work easier

24. anonymous Wed, 20 May 2009 22:42

i am a newbie, but found this video really helpful. big thanks.

23. anonymous Mon, 18 May 2009 05:33

very cool presentation of auto-completion with pydev.

22. anonymous Sat, 16 May 2009 07:06

Just searching where to start learning Python from

21. anonymous Wed, 13 May 2009 20:54

Cool!

20. anonymous Thu, 07 May 2009 06:04

Well done man!! Just what i was looking for. Thanks a lot ;)

19. anonymous Sat, 25 Apr 2009 00:06

Great job, thanks

18. anonymous Sat, 18 Apr 2009 03:30

very good - thanks a lot

17. anonymous Thu, 16 Apr 2009 18:13

Great! I lke this series! I am just beging to use PyDev. I hope you will talk about debugging in PyDev. Thanks!

Very nice simple and direct !

13. anonymous Thu, 11 Dec 2008 21:07

Review of Introducing PyDev Extensions

great!

12. anonymous Mon, 06 Oct 2008 06:15

Thanks for the quick overview. It's good to see and hear from the author a representative demonstration of its intended use in context.

Good job! Your two introductory tutorials were sufficient to convince me to use PyDev as my primary IDE.

10. anonymous Tue, 04 Mar 2008 17:50

Thanks for the video. Would it be possible to do one with Jython? Esp. the code completion and the debugging. It would be most helpful since I can 't seem to get them to work. I'm using pydev 1.3.11 enad eclipse 3.3. pydev is the only reason I use eclipse. Personally I think NetBeans is MUCH better but it doesn't have pydev :(

9. anonymous Mon, 18 Feb 2008 13:28

Review of Introducing PyDev Extensions

Really interesting !

Got tired of IDLE, now searching new IDEs for python, so I can have that so desired code complition for python 2.4 . Good job, only recommendation is to treat each point with more dedication(give more examples)

Thanks. This is very helpful.

One question about external tools: Has iPython been incorporated as an external tool here? The history, and tab completion functionality at the command line is very useful.

Vincent, I'll echo your comments - after a year I still use PyDev in my office (though I confess to still not having tried the Extensions) on a daily basis :-)

From home I tend to use Wing as my laptop doesn't have enough memory, also Wing seems easier to use for ad-hoc projects (no project-setup required)...but for larger projects PyDev suits me well and I recommend it to anyone who wants a stable, well-featured and actively-developed IDE.

One of them most intelligently designed tools I've ever seen. Bravo, Fabio!

4. anonymous Mon, 30 Apr 2007 14:50

Excellent!

3. anonymous Sun, 08 Apr 2007 20:13

Your web site, http://www.fabioz.com, is down! Will this be fixed?

I am really looking forward to integrating this into my Python workflow. I'll definitely be back to watch these screencasts.

As for the price, if it improves my coding I'll certainly pay for it. After all, it's no more than buying a single programming book every year.

In my comment on the other PyDev ShowMeDo, I suggested that if you are considering downloading Eclipse/PyDev, that you download the ShowMeDos as well, so you can refer to them as you work with the IDE. Fabio covers a lot of ground in a hurry, and I had to play the SMD several times to follow everything, with PyDev running.

PyDev Extensions offers enhancements to the basic free PyDev plugin at a cost of $42.50US with a yearly renewal fee of $29.75US. You have a month to decide if it is worth it to you. Thereafter, you are visited by nag screens. But if you decide against the extensions, you can disable them and still use the basic PyDev plugin (also known as the "Open Source" version).

I intend to play with PyDev for a while, and if it helps me with wxPython, will pay the fee whether or not I actually use the Extensions so as to encourage futher development.

Kudos and Thanks for fabiofz