Name: [004] Jerol Harrington
Description:

An Introduction To Python Objects Using IPython (Part-1) [ID:008] (1/3)

in series: An Introduction to Python Objects, using IPython

video tutorial by Jerol Harrington, added 03/07

If you have written any Python code at all, you have been using objects all along. We use the IPython shell to show how objects and methods work at the most basic level. See here (effbot.org) for a brief background to objects.

• Published: Sometime before 1st March 2007 (in other words - we don't remember!)

Good. Useful.

65. benjamin serrato Mon, 19 Jul 2010 19:05

Thanks, I found you explanation of what an object *is* very helpful, particularly having read the effbot.com link before watching the video. I'm the sort of person who reads "everything is an object" and will stop reading until I've reached a temporary conception of what that means. So I really appreciate your clear reiteration that names (ie labels) are not objects but point to objects and that uniqueness of an object can be checked by using the id() function. You even thought ahead to show that the actual object (e.g. "a literal string") takes the method, not the name; a query I had when I read my first python web intro. Oh, and sneaking iPython in was clever too. Probably better than just making an iPython video.

64. Andre du Toit Thu, 15 Jul 2010 11:18

Very useful for new ipython user.Thank you

Makes me appreciate python even more.

Very informative! I've been looking for general basic information about Ipython and this video delivered.

A very good explanation!!

60. David Hickok Fri, 05 Mar 2010 06:57

I have not looked at IPython for quite a while, I will now have to try it out again.

Good. And interesting the introduction to a new shell too.

Evaristo

great video, thanks

57. anonymous Fri, 27 Nov 2009 06:25

You could speed up just a little bit.

clearly presented

55. anonymous Sat, 07 Nov 2009 02:39

54. anonymous Thu, 05 Nov 2009 17:25

A little slow paced and low key for my taste.

53. anonymous Thu, 05 Nov 2009 02:35

Great video ...

52. anonymous Fri, 02 Oct 2009 05:21

Love the pace, the attention to vocabulary, the showcasing of explore-it-yourself features.

Good work =)

51. anonymous Fri, 02 Oct 2009 04:50

Good work =)

Thanks Jerol. I found this presentation moved a little slowly.

49. anonymous Thu, 03 Sep 2009 09:09

thanks for this video

i hope you continue making videos about oop

47. anonymous Tue, 11 Aug 2009 16:35

Great content. Opened up a level of understanding which was missing. Mr. Harrington needs to have a more consistent flow.

46. anonymous Mon, 10 Aug 2009 14:11

45. anonymous Mon, 27 Jul 2009 22:26

Nice intro for people with partial understanding of objects. Please continue the series.

44. anonymous Sat, 25 Jul 2009 09:57

I'm a senior programmer, but python novice.

I liked your content very much, but your speed is quite slow.

I wish I had a button to speed it up, like how we can speed up a recorded voicemail in many systems.

Anyway, good for you for authoring content... you're a better man than me.

Regards,

John

43. anonymous Sun, 12 Jul 2009 20:50

This is a very helpful introduction to objects in Python.

Coming from a more procedural / functional programming

background I found this particularly helpful.

It motivated me to download IPython for my Mac.

Many thanks,

Paul

42. anonymous Sat, 11 Jul 2009 11:01

Spoke slowly and gave me time to think. Very nice!

41. anonymous Sun, 28 Jun 2009 09:12

Thanks for the videos. Having spent a lot of time doing bash scripting I'm finally at the point where I need to learn something different and need to get my head around Python classes.

Hi Anon,

If you are just starting out coding in Python, the Objects ShowMeDo may help you get a feeling for the language itself. Python is much different from C++/Java and allows you to start writing code immediately. Check out the tutorials for IPython, get a Python-aware editor, and you are ready to go. Create a new directory, start IPython and your editor in that directory, and you are ready to rock and roll. I like to write code in the editor and then run it in IPython, toggling between the windows.

I agree with the comment about the series of demo leading to a larger project. I think the Learning Paths tries to address that issue. But it would be nice to have an integrated series that started small and built up to a final project. You might check out Mark Pilgrim's Dive Into Python which does do that. It is not a screencast, but you can get the book online for free.

Jerol

39. anonymous Sat, 06 Jun 2009 14:33

NIce little demo of python objects. Would be nice to have a well thought out complete series of demo's from the beginning of python to making larger projects that were integrated together.

38. anonymous Sat, 06 Jun 2009 11:17

i´m interested in leaning python, i know just a little java but not enough to start a real program, i find it to complex but i know some. I have taken a look at python , and i think is wonderful and an very powerful i´m very interested in learning is your videos good enough for some one like me.

37. anonymous Sat, 06 Jun 2009 11:15

HI Andy,

Thank you for your comment! I think that the ShowMeDo with Python is likely to be the most fun. The only way to learn programming is to write a lot of code. Just reading a book, or even going to class will not do it for you unless it forces you to write programs. Also, learn how to use IPython. That, along with a Python-aware editor, will let you write snippets that you can run so that you can experiment. I usually have Vim (or Crimson Editor) in one window, and IPython in the other, and Alt Tab between them (or run OnTop to keep both windows up), in the same directory. When you run a video, don't be afraid to pause it and write some code to test it.

I would run Python 2.5 at this point, and hold off on Python 3.1. Much of the support tools (such as IPython) will not work with Python 3.x . Also, if you decide to buy a book, I recommend Beginning Python, by Magnus Lie Hetland. It is not cheap, but worth it. It is very helpful to dip into when you are unclear on a particular point.

Keep at it, and soon you too will be making ShowMeDos!

Good Luck,

Jerol

35. anonymous Sun, 03 May 2009 10:02

I'm not an experienced (Zero Experience) programmer . I searching for a starting point to learn and actually use my computer to improve my life. Thank you for your video. Do you have any suggestions for a real beginner. Is there a fun approach to this learning? Any suggestions you have will be appreciated. Thanks, Andy.

34. anonymous Thu, 30 Apr 2009 20:32

simple yet useful. Thank you.

33. anonymous Thu, 30 Apr 2009 20:32

simple yet useful. Thank you.

32. anonymous Sun, 26 Apr 2009 01:16

Awesome. Your series is spot on.

31. anonymous Wed, 22 Apr 2009 10:39

informative and presented with clarity

29. anonymous Fri, 03 Apr 2009 04:30

Mr. Harrington,

Thanks for these valuable videos. I would like to see more in-depth videos on the OOP subject.

Best Regards.

Gokhan.

28. anonymous Mon, 30 Mar 2009 19:42

Thanks. Learnt something new.

27. anonymous Mon, 23 Mar 2009 11:57

Thank you for the great video. Is to the point !!!!

21. anonymous Tue, 27 Jan 2009 05:05

Thanks Author of this tutorial

Simple, but to the point.

Review of An Introduction To Python Objects Using IPython (Part-1)

Hi Jerol,

Your introduction to classes is outstanding. I have not found a better introduction anywhere. Thank you very much!

Chris

18. anonymous Tue, 29 Jul 2008 05:34

You need to improve the speech. It's to monochrome

17. anonymous Sun, 08 Jun 2008 15:56

Review of An Introduction To Python Objects Using IPython (Part-1)

Keyboard is way too loud and distracting. You probably love the feel of your keyboard, which is fine, but you need a better microphone or better microphone placement.

The presentation feels like it was all spur-of-the-moment. Some planning before recording would have made the presentation more coherent.

16. anonymous Fri, 04 Apr 2008 22:31

This video is really good for both demonstrating Ipython and Python Objects.

The voice is clear, the explanation is well done.

The volume could be be a little louder.

Thanks! Really useful!

Review of An Introduction To Python Objects Using IPython (Part-1)

I liked this tutorial especially for demonstrating how useful IPython can be. I have since watched all of Jeff Rush's IPython tutorials (which I also liked) but this is the first one that really showed the power of IPython. I now use it regularly.

14. anonymous Sun, 13 Jan 2008 11:09

vvery cool introduction to how to start using objects in python, especially with iPython. Thanks!

Thanks, billbose, for your kind remarks. Check out Jeff Rush's 5 screencasts on IPython. They are really excellent. Don't worry about the linux flavor: 99% is applicable to Windows. Jeff's videos even impressed the author of IPython.

I will work on improving the audio in the next screencasts.

Jerol

Review of An Introduction To Python Objects Using IPython (Part-1)

Will download IPython after seeing this tutorial.

11. anonymous Sun, 16 Dec 2007 19:50

very new to OOP - thanks

Hi Anon,

There was once a sign in a whorehouse in the Old West: "Don't shoot the piano player. He's doing his best". Believe it or not, I actually did work from an outline and spent a remarkable about of time using Vdub rerecording and splicing segments together to edit out the worst of it. I agree,however, that the audio could be a lot smoother, so I am going to experiment with doing the video first and adding the voice track later (using Audacity).

Please keep in mind that I believe that one of the objectives of ShowMeDo is encourage ordinary people who have something to say, to make a contribution without feeling too self-conscious about it. I personally have learned a lot from screencasts that were less than slick, and have been very grateful for them.

Thanks for your criticism. I mean that in all honesty. I hope that you will try to improve on my efforts and carry the message forward.

Jerol

Anon - I'll make a quick post on Jerol's behalf. Jerol was the first author to join us, almost 2 years ago (if memory serves!).

We were all learning the techniques at the time and there wasn't anyone to teach us.

As you say - removing Ums and Ahs is really rather difficult and it does take practice.

Remember - you have the option of recording your own videos (http://showmedo.com/submissionsForm) and showing us how you'd do it :-)

Ian (co-founder)

8. anonymous Mon, 08 Oct 2007 12:25

Hello, Jerol,

This is a very nice thing you're doing for us folks, and you just can't beat free. But what do you do, just sit down and turn it on? You ought to plan, script, really think about what's going to drive home the salient point, and proceed rapidly, putting as much into each minute as you can. (takes practice. Takes practice just to get rid of the 'umms' and 'uhhs') That first video was just barely about objects as far as I could see.

Excellent video and explanation. I never used IPython before but after watching your video I've installed it. Thanks again.

6. anonymous Thu, 09 Aug 2007 01:46

Nice intro to start off python and would love to see the rest and proceed further with python'ing

5. anonymous Fri, 03 Aug 2007 11:45

Voice is inaudible.

4. anonymous Tue, 26 Jun 2007 00:43

Thanks very much Jerol. I just worked along with your first video and I look forward to viewing the rest. This approach really helps learning.

Rob

Hi Anal,

Thanks for your comment! I can sympathize with the problem of trying to understand a technical video in a foreign tongue. Objects are challenging, because we have to think about coding in a different way, and because the mechanics can get a little complicated. I don't think that I can add subtitles to my videos, but I might be able to insert labels (or "callouts"), which illustrate the point that I am trying to make. This would require a different mode of production, however. Instead of just making up an outline and recording the voice and video simultaneously, I would need to record voice over a series of slides that contained the callouts. I will have to experiment with this and see if I can make it work.

Thanks again,

Jerol

also, it would be great if you would subtitle your videos.

Really.

For people which does not speaks english natively like me, putting down in text your words would make the handicap a lot less relevant.

This video is great! Thank you very much!

Kudos and Thanks for Jerol