Name: [709] Jeff Rush
Description: Greetings. I'm the (former) Python Advocacy Coordinator and a strong supporter of screencasts. I'm also the organizer of the Dallas-Ft. Worth Pythoneers and was con chair for PyCon 2006 and 2007 in Dallas. I'm also an independent consultant and work in the areas of Python/Zope, embedded Linux s ...

A Demonstration of ReStructuredText [ID:300] (2/4)

in series: 5-Minutes With Python

video tutorial by Jeff Rush, added 07/07

A quick look at a style of marking up plaintext called "ReStructuredText" with hotkeys from the Emacs text editor to view the result as HTML, PDF and slides.

ReStructuredText was developed in the Python community and is used for whitepapers, embedded markup for program source and wiki pages, and to rapidly create slide presentations.

Nice show for a beginner, but not enough detail (not even hints) for those want to learn more. For example, the video only show reST can do html and S5, but does not even give a link to find out how.

Still, nice work. Thanks anyway!

Interesting! I also noticed that you used Emacs (if I'm not mistaken) and this gave me an idea for a video. Could you maybe do a series of Emacs video-tutorials for complete beginners? There is no material of this kind on Showmedo and I believe it would be a great contribution to Emacs newcomers.

In any case, thank you

36. david spiess Thu, 22 Jul 2010 16:30

Thanks Jeff this was very interesting!

Thanks - I didn't know about the S5 zoom features

34. C McElwee Mon, 07 Jun 2010 12:09

Very good, will have to take a deeper look at that.

very intuitive liked it alot

Thanks so much for this presentation it was what got me over to use reST to write my stuff, and abandon the bloated word processors for something lighter :)

Very handy and informative introduction. Thanks!

Congratulations, very good explanation ... Thank you

this looks very useful- I'm very excited

28. anonymous Thu, 24 Dec 2009 10:07

Very useful and thanks for the information.

27. anonymous Sat, 19 Dec 2009 05:17

yes, i liked it....I spend some time in the evenings

learning and I am thinking of joining showmedo..

26. anonymous Fri, 04 Dec 2009 13:46

great video! thx

25. anonymous Wed, 25 Nov 2009 07:00

Thanks, very instructive... as always.

24. anonymous Tue, 24 Nov 2009 09:19

Hi Jeff!

Just a quick thanks for your vid on ReStructedText - I have an interview tomorrow and this was one of the clients "nice to have" hopefully now I'll be able to show I have at least the basics. Wish me luck!

thanks

23. anonymous Wed, 11 Nov 2009 13:16

wow, i discovered restructured text lately and needed this video.

thanks

22. anonymous Thu, 29 Oct 2009 06:38

Great! Very useful!!

21. anonymous Fri, 16 Oct 2009 08:51

Great to view. Good to understand.

i've learned something. go on!

20. anonymous Thu, 15 Oct 2009 14:37

Nice demo of ReStructuredText - ideal for me fishing around for a better way to write my technical documents and wondering if this is it - you've given me a good feel for what I can expect. Suitably inspired I'll now give it a go...

19. anonymous Sat, 03 Oct 2009 22:22

This is quite informative, as I have been looking to write restructuredtext using emacs. Can you elaborate abit more about using emacs and the hot keys to render the text into HTML or PDF or slides?

Thanks you

18. anonymous Fri, 25 Sep 2009 18:31

Very good -- Well thought out and presented -- Perfect amount of detail.

17. anonymous Fri, 18 Sep 2009 23:16

Hi Jeff,

Great screencast on RST! Thanks for making it!

Mike

Jeff - Thanks for your screencast on reStructuredText. - John Graves / Auckland, New Zealand

15. anonymous Fri, 28 Aug 2009 15:45

Never new about this form of document compilation. Very nice and simple to learn.

14. anonymous Fri, 14 Aug 2009 00:00

Very good summary of restructured text which is what I was looking for. Very good presentation of the material etc.

13. anonymous Wed, 08 Jul 2009 05:32

Thanks a lot again. Really well done video. Are you a teacher? I mean in the "usual way" (because you're teaching a lot here already!).

Offray

Thank you !

Slide show made easy...

Just have to install the emacs mode.

Very effective video, thank you

Excellent video - this is going to be very useful!

8. anonymous Mon, 09 Mar 2009 10:40

Anonymous, I'll try to get to a long series of screencasts related to reStructuredText. I've done a lot more and would be glad to walk through the various constructs.

7. anonymous Mon, 09 Mar 2009 10:40

6. anonymous Thu, 05 Mar 2009 06:06

It would be nicer if the restructured text video was slower, longer and went over over all the constructs of reST, enabling the listener to retain more.

The are great as it is. Just my 2 cents. Thank you for your efforts

5. anonymous Fri, 21 Mar 2008 00:33

Very nice Jeff.

Sincerely,

Joe

Thanks Jeff. I like your presentations, They are very well done. Congratulations. Excuse me but I am not english speaker.

Thanks for the kind words. I've made the source available in the wiki section as requested, at:

You can also find more substantial examples of reStructuredText in the Python Slideshow Repository at:

2. anonymous Sun, 15 Jul 2007 17:39

I have used various wiki type formatting and this appears to work just as well if not better. Well presented as well! Thanks

Thanks Jeff for a very interesting video! It encouraged me to try it out for myself. I downloaded the plugin for vim (since I use that instead of emacs), and it worked, but did not pass the validation test for the HTML. So then I updated docutils in Python, used the standalone converter (buildhtml.py) which converted all of the *.txt documentation files to *.html, including subdirectories. These did pass the validation test.

I particularly liked your presentation. Some of the REST examples that I have seen are rather bland: but you have shown what can really be done with this format.

I do hope that you will provide the source in the wiki section.

Thanks again,

Jerol

Kudos and Thanks for Jeff

Learning Paths

This series lies on the following learning-paths. Learning-paths are a new initiative at Showmedo, to start structuring our content better. You can find out more here.