Name: [1364] Chris Lasher
Description: I'm a graduate student in the `Genetics, Bioinformatics, and Computational Biology (GBCB) <http://www.grads.vt.edu/academics/programs/gbcb/phd_gbcb.html>`_ program at `Virginia Tech <http://www.vt.edu/>`_ In my research, I try to uncover dynamic links between biological processes by mining high-thro ...

Version Control with Subversion 2 [ID:284] (2/8)

in series: Software Carpentry - Version Control with Subversion

video tutorial by Chris Lasher, added 06/07

Get started with the command line-based Subversion client:

• checking out a local copy of a repository
  • adding files to a repository
  • checking for local modifications
  • committing changes to a repository
  • synchronizing the local copy with the repository

34. Andy Carter Mon, 11 Oct 2010 02:42

Very useful, thank you.

Learning subversion

32. Tristan Guez Mon, 16 Aug 2010 08:50

Thank you !

Easy and interesting - Subtitles would be useful, because I work in an open space and I don't have earphones, so I only watch, I suppose you give some explanations in the sound track I missed. Subtitles are useful also for foreigners, to understand better.

31. david spiess Thu, 22 Jul 2010 13:28

I am learning lots thanks for the update :-)

good job

29. Mike Deutsch Tue, 11 May 2010 12:53

Friendly step 2, a little more understanding happening. Bring on step 3!

good stuff!

27. vivek kumar Tue, 26 Jan 2010 10:02

Extremely helpful video. Please continue such great work. Good Luck.

Video was very good. +1000 for the comment in the end. A demo for using the checkout command on any online repository would have been helpful.

25. anonymous Wed, 06 Jan 2010 07:29

good basic intro

24. anonymous Fri, 27 Nov 2009 07:10

Great tutorial! Keep it up.

23. anonymous Mon, 02 Nov 2009 20:52

Great work! It would also help if you can demo setting up SVN from the scratch. How to connect to it from Windows OS.

22. anonymous Mon, 05 Oct 2009 07:49

A very nice start to a fresher

21. anonymous Sun, 20 Sep 2009 02:54

good tutorial, I like the style

20. anonymous Wed, 09 Sep 2009 19:15

I love it. It is real helpful.

19. anonymous Tue, 04 Aug 2009 15:43

still going well

18. anonymous Thu, 02 Jul 2009 21:47

good practical examples. I like that you include best practices as well as syntax.

17. anonymous Wed, 01 Jul 2009 12:27

If you target total beginners, I think you should give a bit of theory before you show the actual commands

16. anonymous Wed, 01 Jul 2009 12:11

very good

15. anonymous Wed, 03 Jun 2009 10:12

good stuff keep up the good work

14. anonymous Fri, 29 May 2009 15:27

Great tutorials - very clear and easy to follow for new beginners like myself.

ok, good, A+ vote.

But I've the problem to accesso a svn server from my notebook, via ssh. Do you think to make a video about this topic ?

12. anonymous Fri, 22 May 2009 12:41

Thanks .good source for learn SVN

11. anonymous Mon, 27 Apr 2009 18:17

am I spacing but do you never show how to create a repository, say the initial one?

10. anonymous Fri, 24 Apr 2009 00:11

too helpful, thank you very much.

9. anonymous Wed, 22 Apr 2009 05:03

good intro to the basic concepts. Good speed. Maybe a mention of other version controls like mercury or bazaar would be interesting.

8. anonymous Sat, 18 Apr 2009 07:58

Why didn't this cover creating a new repository?

7. anonymous Mon, 13 Apr 2009 13:54

Really great video

6. anonymous Sat, 11 Apr 2009 21:38

great video

5. anonymous Sat, 14 Feb 2009 16:23

Thanks for giving a brief introduction about the svn command

add == import

checkout == co

i read pragmatic programmer version control with svn first few chapters. i learn add, checkout can be used which is more syntactic than mnemonics. thanks

3. anonymous Fri, 31 Oct 2008 16:22

Thank you very much. Would you please include information on importing entire new directories? Say you've already been in development and now want to put the files under Subversion.

I couldn't find any delete or edit button for my previous post. But I found a more proper medium to communicate my questions and solutions here instead.

A Debian like tutorial.

Hi Chris nice video. I'm trying to follow your instructions by using Debian. But I'm having some permissions problems. I think I didn't setup my SVN like you're supposed to.

Can you give instructions on how you installed and setup your SVN?

I took some steps from this guide in order to setup SVN on Debian:

$ apt-get update

$ apt-get install subversion

$ mkdir /var/svn-repos/

$ svnadmin create --fs-type fsfs /var/svn-repos/project_zen

$ svnadmin create --fs-type fsfs /var/svn-repos/project_wombat

$ groupadd subversion

$ addgroup YOU subversion

$ chown -R www-data:subversion /var/svn-repos/*

$ chmod -R 770 /var/svn-repos/*

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then I tried to follow your video tutorial after I installed and setup my SVN on Debian. These are the results I got.

you@feathers:/var/svn-repos$ svn checkout file:///var/svn-repos/project_wombat/

Checked out revision 0.

you@feathers:/var/svn-repos$ svn checkout file:///var/svn-repos/project_zen/

Checked out revision 0.

$ mkdir foodrepo

you@feathers:/var/svn-repos$ ls -l

total 12

drwxr-xr-x 2 you you 4096 2008-09-01 14:30 foodrepo

drwxrwx--- 8 www-data subversion 4096 2008-09-01 14:29 project_wombat

drwxrwx--- 8 www-data subversion 4096 2008-09-01 14:29 project_zen

Then I created the sausage_and_peppers.txt file and got this ERROR when checking.

you@feathers:/var/svn-repos/foodrepo$ svn add sausage_and_peppers.txt

svn: '.' is not a working copy

svn: Can't open file '.svn/entries': No such file or directory

you@feathers:/var/svn-repos/foodrepo$ ls -l

total 4

-rw-r--r-- 1 you you 29 2008-09-01 14:31 sausage_and_peppers.txt

Should I work and edit my files as root since the permission complains about my user YOU which I added to the subversion group?

Kudos and Thanks for Chris