Name: [1364] Chris Lasher
Description: I'm a graduate student in the `Genetics, Bioinformatics, and Computational Biology (GBCB) <http://www.grads.vt.edu/academics/programs/gbcb/phd_gbcb.html>`_ program at `Virginia Tech <http://www.vt.edu/>`_ In my research, I try to uncover dynamic links between biological processes by mining high-thro ...

Version Control with Subversion 1 [ID:283] (1/8)

in series: Software Carpentry - Version Control with Subversion

video tutorial by Chris Lasher, added 06/07

We begin with an introduction to the topic of Version Control:

• what is version control
  • why use Subversion
  • where to find free Subversion hosting

79. Andy Carter Mon, 11 Oct 2010 02:32

Yes, this was a useful start.

78. AMDOUNI Raouf Tue, 05 Oct 2010 05:49

Very usuful videos ! Go ahead guys !

Video tutorials are best way to impart knowledge via web. Thanks for your work.

Learning about subversion

75. Tristan Guez Tue, 17 Aug 2010 08:12

Thanks! I'd would love having some subtitles, to ease understanding in a noisy environment.

Good introduction, can use more details on SCM

Good job...

This video gave me some insight into subversion. Really useful. Thanks.

70. J Wharfe Thu, 03 Jun 2010 16:03

Really useful.

Thanks.

Introduction is good

68. kannan karthik Thu, 27 May 2010 00:23

good one..simple to understand

great¡

66. Lee Asher-Simpson Sat, 15 May 2010 17:00

sound quality poor, chris was good

Very nice overview of revision control systems. Thank you for posting

64. Mike Deutsch Tue, 11 May 2010 12:16

Good start. Show me more!

This video is well described and easy to follow.

62. John Smith Sun, 11 Apr 2010 14:26

The sound could be improved.

thanks

Useful, but I was expecting more on the basics of version control rather than a reveiw of who offers it.

It's a good introduction video.

Thanks a lot for the video. Strongly agree with the comment about the importance for version control for amateurs and professionals.

57. Tristan Van Tilborgh Fri, 08 Jan 2010 06:50

Very good overview - well done!

Great CBT very informative as well as simple enough for the beginner.

GREAT STUFF!.

55. anonymous Sun, 27 Dec 2009 02:13

Thanks for posting this video. Nice work.

54. anonymous Wed, 16 Dec 2009 09:57

quick comment script doesn,t work (FF 6.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.3)

simple, easy. Ill be back :)

/Thomas

53. anonymous Sat, 05 Dec 2009 06:30

Nice! Thanks

52. anonymous Fri, 27 Nov 2009 22:55

good introductory video about svn. I think I need some more tutorial type info.

thanks,

aslan

51. anonymous Wed, 25 Nov 2009 01:54

good

50. anonymous Wed, 18 Nov 2009 13:06

Pretty good so far

Thanks! It looks like this series will be useful and informative.

48. anonymous Sun, 01 Nov 2009 14:12

Great video tutorial ! Thanks! Now i can start useing subversion.

47. anonymous Wed, 21 Oct 2009 20:45

awesome

Thank You! I hope to see more in this series.

45. anonymous Sun, 04 Oct 2009 09:05

Excellent video. I love this topic, please don't leave this series.

44. anonymous Thu, 17 Sep 2009 18:37

good intro... would have been nice to see a visual overview of a typical SVN setup / hierarchy

43. anonymous Wed, 16 Sep 2009 13:39

Thanks for making this available! I'm getting started with a new software project, and want to use svn (I've used CVS forever). I find video tutorials a much faster way to come up to speed on technology, so I appreciate your help!

Nice introduction

41. anonymous Fri, 11 Sep 2009 05:51

Great job. Well presented and good material.

40. anonymous Thu, 03 Sep 2009 00:58

It's been a great help!

39. anonymous Tue, 01 Sep 2009 13:35

Thanks a lot for taking the time to do this. I'm a scientist/engineer working at a growing university research lab and I've taken it upon myself to add some structure to all the code that gets written here. I've recently found the software carpentry website, and then your videos here. I'm in the process of setting up our first version control system and am going to use subversion. Once again, thanks for the effort fine sir! :-)

38. anonymous Wed, 19 Aug 2009 05:28

Great job! I can't wait to go thru the other Subversion videos.

37. anonymous Thu, 13 Aug 2009 08:54

nice job

36. anonymous Sun, 09 Aug 2009 14:41

Very well done chris! Loved the tutorials. Am a Masters student at Columbia Uni and will defintitely post this on my homepage. Keep up the good work buddy! Take care and God bless you!

35. anonymous Tue, 04 Aug 2009 15:32

so far so good, on to the next video

34. anonymous Sat, 01 Aug 2009 17:34

Great video.

33. anonymous Thu, 30 Jul 2009 13:44

part about amateur vs professional is distracting

32. anonymous Tue, 28 Jul 2009 08:15

All videos are very nice videos. I really appreciate the tutorials. As per you said about Advanced topics (i.e. Creating Branches, Merging Branches, trunks etc..), in 8th video slice.. I'm very eagerly awaiting for that videos. when we can expect that advanced videos.

great....great....great....great....great....great....great....great....

31. anonymous Sat, 04 Jul 2009 11:20

I appreciate your effort!

30. anonymous Thu, 02 Jul 2009 21:33

subversion video 1 is a good overview.

29. anonymous Thu, 02 Jul 2009 20:07

i want to see the rest off the foobar tutorial!

28. anonymous Wed, 01 Jul 2009 12:18

Very nice so far. You seem to target total beginners at revision control. If so, it seems strange to me that you give a list of hosting solutions at the very beginning. And I think you can safely speak a bit quicker

27. anonymous Fri, 26 Jun 2009 07:55

Ok by me

26. anonymous Sun, 21 Jun 2009 05:46

Very clearly introductoring, thanks!

25. anonymous Tue, 16 Jun 2009 17:04

Very nice video. You are awesome. I really appreciate the tutorial.

24. anonymous Tue, 09 Jun 2009 18:12

Nice

23. anonymous Tue, 09 Jun 2009 18:10

Nice

22. anonymous Tue, 09 Jun 2009 18:10

Nice

21. anonymous Tue, 09 Jun 2009 18:09

Nice

20. anonymous Tue, 09 Jun 2009 08:46

Its a good start.

19. anonymous Tue, 02 Jun 2009 11:34

awesome series!

17. anonymous Fri, 22 May 2009 23:14

I love it. Thank you Chris.

16. anonymous Fri, 22 May 2009 12:37

Its is like boon for me. Thanks for providing this video. thanks alot

15. anonymous Wed, 06 May 2009 11:19

Hey, nice video. If you don't mind me giving you a tip or two, please talk a just a little louder and don't record late at night. I felt that you wanted to 'get the video over with', which made myself a little bored too lol :D

The content itself was very interesting.

14. anonymous Wed, 22 Apr 2009 04:39

good brief intro

13. anonymous Fri, 17 Apr 2009 13:12

Good video

12. anonymous Mon, 13 Apr 2009 13:24

This video is great

Very nice introduction, thanks for explianing a llittle of what version control is.

im new to subversion, this was good.

Great job.Excellent screen cast.Note to anyone watch this it is perfect for svn beginners. Note for "first time svn" you will need to use "svnadmin create /absolute/path/to/svn/repository" command in order to follow this tutorial. Hope you can do the same thing for git some day. Thank you very much and keep up the good work!

8. anonymous Wed, 08 Oct 2008 12:04

Voice quality is low

I like this, thanks!

Thanks, Chris, for a great explanation of version control in general and subversion in particular.

Having grown used to using RCS I have been too lazy for years to switch until recently.

For some reason I am still a bit unsure how to use svnadmin apart from on the command line, but you don't have to do that at all often.

For most of my work I now use the Subclipse plug-in of Eclipse as my client.

5. anonymous Sun, 16 Dec 2007 08:27

Review of Version Control with Subversion 1

Audio quality could be better.

Chris, I have posted an announce for this series at svnforum.org:

I hope it brings in some people who can benefit from your fine work,

Chris, your link to the Software Carpentry website is broken (in your author description). The correct link appears to be:

Chris, I noticed that this series is getting very few plays - this is a crime! Your series is too good to sit quietly in the corner.

This morning I added it to DZone for voting:

and I'll also see if I can get it into Reddit and Digg and, obviously (!), into the Subversion forum.

Chris - first of all let me say thank-you for letting us host this series, the quality really is excellent. It is so nice to hear your calm voice, source-code control is a bit of an imposing subject and I know I'll enjoy watching this series.

That's an interesting comment you make about 'professional developers'. I'd add the caveat that the need for a source control system grows as a project grows, and it becomes imperative once you have 2 developers on the project.

At ShowMeDo we avoided it for a good number of months whilst Kyran was the sole coder, but once he lost some edits on a late-night hacking session (and I'm sure I over-wrote bits too!) we knew it was time to use subversion. Having used csv before I must say I'm very happy with svn - it 'just works'.

It was interesting to see you list openSVN, Google Code and SourceForge as available svn repositories - it had never occurred to me that free hosting was available.

Cheers, I look forward to working my way through this series,

Kudos and Thanks for Chris