Name: [1364] Chris Lasher
Description: I'm a graduate student in the `Genetics, Bioinformatics, and Computational Biology (GBCB) <http://www.grads.vt.edu/academics/programs/gbcb/phd_gbcb.html>`_ program at `Virginia Tech <http://www.vt.edu/>`_ In my research, I try to uncover dynamic links between biological processes by mining high-thro ...

Shell Basics 13 [ID:278] (13/13)

in series: Software Carpentry - Shell Basics

video tutorial by Chris Lasher, added 06/07

We assess what we've covered in this series and wrap up.

I am in the process of learning the BASH shell and these tutorials were helpful in reinforcing what I've been learning. Very well done.

I really needed this

31. david spiess Thu, 22 Jul 2010 16:06

Very useful Chris,

Thank-you taking the time to caste this series of shell basic lessons!

Best Regards

David Spiess

Well done, Bravo.

Very well done screen cast. Very concise and relevant. Thank you.

Brilliant walk through on the shell... Cheers Chris!

Great job Chris! Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge in a easy and understandable way!

Thank you for the great tutorial!

25. anonymous Mon, 07 Dec 2009 13:06

Great tutorial... We demand more of this topic :)

I´ve seen all the videos within two days and I must say it was one of the best lectures I ever watched. I ´m sure that many of the newbie users, including me, appreciate your explanation to every single command shown in the video...

Is it possible to do something about downloading new software in the bash and some network administration?

24. anonymous Wed, 11 Nov 2009 02:10

Fantastic tutorial, one of the best I ever seen.

Keep up the good work

23. anonymous Wed, 21 Oct 2009 09:31

A great introduction to Shell commands and navigation. I found this quite helpful, as I was previously unfamiliar with Linux. I get the feeling that the basic concepts covered in this tutorial are also applicable to other shells. The step by step process covered here was just the right speed for me. Not too fast, but not too slow. Thanks very much for the time spent on this series.

22. anonymous Thu, 15 Oct 2009 05:02

good tutorial i want rhcss videos plz help me in that

21. anonymous Sat, 10 Oct 2009 08:21

excellent flow and order of info.. thanks really helps.

20. anonymous Thu, 10 Sep 2009 06:33

Hi

A great series

thanks

Great series!

Thanks, Chris!

Just ran through Shell Basics.

I wasn't new to the command line, but picked up a few good snippets I wasn't aware of. Great refresher.

I can see how this would be a great intro to the shell for beginners.

17. anonymous Sat, 25 Jul 2009 09:18

I will send others to the basics of shell. Most of this was well known to me, being a veteran of the shell for more than 15 years now. It was a nice refresher, and now I won't have to be the go to person when someone can't remember something.

Thanks for your time and dedication.

16. anonymous Wed, 03 Jun 2009 06:28

It were the really nice tutorials. Thank you. Like them a lot. Even thought I'm 3 years using linux, couple commands were new to me.

I wish you to continue with your tutorials. They are great!

15. anonymous Thu, 07 May 2009 12:14

Thanks for your speedy and informative series on the Shell. A great reintroduction for myself.

13. anonymous Mon, 20 Apr 2009 19:37

Wonderful tutorial. I had read before some Shell documentation but this is a step by step, easy to understand and extremely useful tutorial for learning quickly how to use the terminal. Bravo, keep it up, great job!

12. anonymous Fri, 10 Apr 2009 19:03

Thanks, Chris. Your tutorial on shell basics was very informative, and I will use the lessons taught more extensively in the future.

Good stuff! Thanks for putting this together!

9. anonymous Wed, 15 Oct 2008 06:41

Enyone new to Linux should take a look at this! Thanx a lot!

Thanks for a really good series of tutorials.

7. anonymous Thu, 09 Oct 2008 18:09

i watched all of your videos in this series and wow what a nice job you've done. I'm a nooby with this stuff and self taught i'll be back later to try and retain the stuff you've showed me. thank you

6. anonymous Tue, 17 Jun 2008 00:39

Chris;

this was great. Thanks

I consider myself an advanced newbie, most of the stuff I knew, but toward the end I got a few tricks.

Hi Chris,

I didn't realize you had a whole series on shell stuff, thank you for it! I wish I had found this back when I was needing to learn how to get around in the linux shell, many hours of nailbiting later...

I published a short series showing some introductory shell commands also (didn't know one existed!), and have linked to your excellent series from it.

Great work,

Aaron Fay

4. anonymous Fri, 29 Feb 2008 18:09

Great Tutorial, i knew some of it, but there were many new things to me.

What would be nice was some intro into the readline abilities, like searching for sth in the history. I use it often, like CTRL-R lastcommand

makes you faster , commandlineediting, CTRL-a, start of line, CTRL-e end of Line, etc

Thanks for doing these screen casts. I learned more about the shell watching this series than I have in my previous 3 years of actual use of the shell. Thanks again.

2. anonymous Fri, 04 Jan 2008 15:06

Review of Shell Basics 13

Many thanks for such good castings. I was hooked on all videos. I am new to Linux I really have walked away from these videos feeling content. It would be great if you could prepare something castings that present how to install programs etc. I nearly had a quit from trying to install the flash player for my firefox browser.

Cheers buddy. Very helpful!

Kudos and Thanks for Chris