Name: [1364] Chris Lasher
Description: I'm a graduate student in the `Genetics, Bioinformatics, and Computational Biology (GBCB) <http://www.grads.vt.edu/academics/programs/gbcb/phd_gbcb.html>`_ program at `Virginia Tech <http://www.vt.edu/>`_ In my research, I try to uncover dynamic links between biological processes by mining high-thro ...

Shell Basics 2 [ID:267] (2/13)

in series: Software Carpentry - Shell Basics

video tutorial by Chris Lasher, added 06/07

Take your first steps in the shell, including:

• working with directories and paths
  • tab completion
  • introduction to arguments and flags/options

45. ranjana tiwari Mon, 27 Sep 2010 02:46

good!

great work

super

You should be a Professor and I would like to attend that institution of learning.

Looking good for basics

40. david spiess Thu, 22 Jul 2010 12:51

this is a good introduction for getting around in linux

39. John Misoyianis Wed, 21 Jul 2010 22:44

Having a video really helps cement the info. Thanks a lot! Looking forward to moving onward. Whoop!

Loving it!!

36. E Farrell Sat, 29 May 2010 15:21

Great tutorial. Have been a windows user for years and just starting to learn UNIX. Everything explained nice and simple and at a good pace. Many thanks.

can't believe people make these awesome tutorials just to share. thank you.

34. Vignesh R Sun, 28 Feb 2010 12:24

Great vidoe

Excellent!!! Thanks!!

Hi there!

Very nice piece of intro to the shell! ;-)

Videos on more advanced topics would be greatly appreciated ;-)

Regards

31. Tristan Van Tilborgh Mon, 25 Jan 2010 22:49

Very good explanation of basic command line instructions.

Thank you i understand a lot more now. I wish you would show me how to set up cygwin

29. jesse preiner Mon, 11 Jan 2010 14:16

informative, simple. wish i woulda known about tab completion before while extracting files with long names.. brutal. thanks!

28. anonymous Sun, 03 Jan 2010 03:56

I have never seen such a good website which don't ask you to cram the things

but show you the things how they work.

Amazing job !!

Thanks for providing ur web on the " WEB "

27. anonymous Tue, 22 Dec 2009 19:22

ls --all and ls --help do not work on my mac terminal for some reason...

a clear and very useful presentation

With regard to Tab Completion: the behavior of pressing Tab MULTIPLE TIMES varies between shells, but TRY IT. You may get either the NEXT matching file or a LIST of possible matches (on the third press).

24. anonymous Wed, 28 Oct 2009 08:02

nicely done!!!

23. anonymous Fri, 23 Oct 2009 11:07

Your video about shell basics was very useful. I followed along with the video and was able to execute simple commands and learn about my Mac's terminal.

22. anonymous Thu, 22 Oct 2009 11:52

Good info but I'm 58,needs to get to the meat faster!

21. anonymous Wed, 07 Oct 2009 15:26

very great tutorials, thank you

20. anonymous Sat, 03 Oct 2009 21:56

Wow! What a clever idea. Starting at the begining. took me a long time to find someone/where that does this! Thanks!!!

I selected the alternate approach to viewing a series of lessons that was offered. Hopefully that will speed things up a bit for me. The Mac seems to be coming in last place in apparent popularity, The location for major OS utilities on the Mac, like the Terminal program is the Utilities directory, which itself is located in the Applications directory. A little speech processing would help the presenter and the presentation -- specifically automatic volume adjustment to minimize volume fluctuations which often make understanding difficult, perhaps a mini boom microphone, like vocalists are now using, that is worn by the speaker would minimize fluctuations due to changes in Mic distance.

18. anonymous Fri, 11 Sep 2009 13:31

Another well done tutorial. Thanks Chris!

17. anonymous Fri, 11 Sep 2009 03:03

Good video it has helped me make sense of commands in Linux

16. anonymous Wed, 09 Sep 2009 05:41

very helpful to a newbie with limited command line experience

15. anonymous Tue, 08 Sep 2009 12:51

hey chris... just a quick fyi.. I'm on a mac 0sx... the --help doesn't work on mine... I found "man ls".. gives me the help...

spacebar goes down a page

q kicks me back to my pwd..

alex.

14. anonymous Sat, 22 Aug 2009 09:06

great expnantions¡¡

essential bash/terminal brainfood for newbie linux users. thanks!

12. anonymous Mon, 29 Jun 2009 09:40

I thought these videos were suppose to be training for Python, but they seem to be about linux.

11. anonymous Wed, 17 Jun 2009 03:12

Very comprehensive..and intriguing indeed, keep up the good work..

10. anonymous Mon, 08 Jun 2009 16:25

Nice, thanks! The noise from the microphone clicking on an off is kind of annoying, but it's not worth spending that much effort to try and fix. Keep up the good work, I'm going to keep watching the rest of the series!

9. anonymous Tue, 12 May 2009 04:36

Chris thanks for your time and effort.You are doing an excellent job here keep moving :)

8. anonymous Sun, 19 Apr 2009 19:33

Great makes me want to learn more.

6. anonymous Mon, 15 Dec 2008 09:18

You are doing good work Dude

Thank you. As a noob this is extremely useful and so much more fun than trying to pick this up from a book.

4. anonymous Sun, 16 Dec 2007 22:01

Chris

Greetings from Australia.

This is a great effort and very informative for a Linux newbie (Fedora 8) trying to grasp the concepts of command line use. Keep up the excellent work. Could you give some thought to the process of copying files: HDD to CD/DVD and copying DVD:DVD or CD:CD by command line

Doug

3. anonymous Sat, 15 Sep 2007 05:26

good tutorial

I want to point out here that I should have mentioned the two most important commands available in the shell: 'man' and 'info'. They are the most important because they give you access to online (here meaning "stored on your computer", not "on the internet") documentation for nearly every program or package you have installed.

'man' will take you to the manual page (a.k.a. "man pages") of a program. e.g., 'man ls' will give details of the 'ls' command.

'info' provides another means of browsing documentation. It is more sophisticated and therefore requires more effort to learn to use, and some programs and packages do not include info documentation. It is still very handy to learn, however. Start with 'info info' to get the info page about 'info' itself.

This is the first series I've seen which tells you how to properly use the Ubuntu Shell, I'll enjoy working my way through this series!

Kudos and Thanks for Chris