Name: [002] Ian Ozsvald
Description: I am the co-founder of ShowMeDo (see http://showmedo.com/about), author of `The Screencasting Handbook <http://thescreencastinghandbook.com>`_ and the founder of the professional screencast production company `ProCasts <http://procasts.co.uk>`_: .. image:: http://procasts.co.uk/media/procasts_sma ...

Series Overview in 5 minutes [ID:242] (Free) (1/17)

in series: Python 101 - easygui and csv

We look over what is covered in the series and what you'll learn in the following 1 hour 20 minutes of tutorial screencasts.

Series Pre-requisite - note that you will need a working nosetest environment to complete all the episodes (necessary links are given), but you'll be able to work through the series without it (you'll just miss out a bit!). Links for getting the nosetest files are of course given where necessary.

I like the intro

Nice overview; looks interesting

Excellent series thank you.

52. Eugenijus Fri, 16 Apr 2010 02:23

I amd just trying to learn about Python and its advantages ...

I was unclear as to how I was to obtain the WING IDE

GREETINGS

49. Will Gillick Mon, 01 Mar 2010 01:23

Very impressed with the instructional method. I haven't seen the price tag yet ( :>), but I hope to start some of your videos so I can get up to speed on Python development quickly. Btw, one "production" comment: your voice is pleasant to listen to, but the volume is a little uneven. No problem understanding, though! --Will

Sounds good up front. I want to use this to run a distance model --from sample plot points (dependant point in the math equation)--over imagery and 'unweight' more distant pixels, say with a gaussian filter. Similar to inverse distance weighting but with (i dont completeley understand) --an adptive search grid or kernel over the image. Its a saptial thing if you will.

Regards.

46. anonymous Mon, 28 Dec 2009 17:31

I am very interested in this, but unsure of what it is exactly. I am sure this is not due to your lack of explaining what it is, but is due to my lack of knowledge on this. I am just truly trying to figure out what python is in the first place, so I know I am truly somehow in the wrong place. With 181 videos, I am sure that I will find something somewhere that will help point me in the right direction.

45. anonymous Tue, 22 Dec 2009 03:21

All the tutorials in this website are awesome...i am new to python and programming and these tutorials are really good

44. anonymous Tue, 17 Nov 2009 21:37

Very nice introduction to your videos. I especially like the highlighting that follows you mouse pointer.

43. anonymous Fri, 13 Nov 2009 17:54

I'm looking forwrd to learn as much as I can from the bottom up of this ineresting Programming language-

Bye

Bye

42. anonymous Fri, 13 Nov 2009 17:47

Bye

Bye

41. anonymous Thu, 05 Nov 2009 07:33

Indeed its very nice to begin!!

40. anonymous Fri, 23 Oct 2009 07:21

seems nice

39. anonymous Fri, 16 Oct 2009 07:21

It's prrety good

38. anonymous Mon, 12 Oct 2009 12:28

Hi,

I'm unable to view the videos on my pc..... I'm using windows explorer 7 and have flash 10 installed and also I'm using XP..... I have been able to acess videos in the past but for some reason now I keep getting the 'get flash to see this video' with every video I try and look at. I've downloaded flash several times but keep getting the same message. If you have any suggestions I'd be very grateful.

Cheers

Will.

37. anonymous Mon, 12 Oct 2009 12:28

Hi,

Cheers

Will.

36. anonymous Thu, 24 Sep 2009 15:34

Good intro. Again, I'm thinking that some kind of time-based index into the insides of the videos in the series could be helpful:

1 First Video

0:00 First topic

2:10 Second topic

5:17 Third topic

2 Second Video

etc.

35. anonymous Wed, 09 Sep 2009 13:04

club Showmedo

If I purchase the membership:

a. Do I have access to only a particular series

or

b. Do I have access to all the videos in all the series

Please let me know.

Thank you.

34. anonymous Wed, 26 Aug 2009 12:13

Hi my name is Tammy. I'm just beginning with Python and I need some serious help. Is there anyone we can have a chat session to to help me out?

33. anonymous Tue, 18 Aug 2009 09:46

The overview shows the 101 series is what I can certainly use.

I've done all 17 videos and highly recommend the series to anybody who is struggling to write code with a GUI interface. In addition, there is a nice video on refactoring which has been enormously helfpul to me in writing reusable code blocks.

I spent 8 weeks (2 hours/week) in a Python class at a local university and I got more out of these videos than I did out of the 16 hours of the university class.

Just getting started with python... Thank you for the introduction.

30. anonymous Wed, 08 Jul 2009 11:59

Great!! I like the way you teach in these videos, your voice tone if fantastic. I only saw the first video yet, but I'm going to take it on.

Thanks.

29. anonymous Fri, 19 Jun 2009 16:01

good job!

28. anonymous Sun, 07 Jun 2009 11:45

want to know

27. anonymous Fri, 22 May 2009 15:12

Just getting into Python, sounds interesting - you could say I'm sitting on the fence looking to see if I should take the plunge!

Nice intro, I will be looking into the purchase of the series. It seems as good or better investment than a book and equivalent priced at 17 lessons.

Ian, this videos are great man!

Is this meant to be ironic?

'Debug Tip - Mising Import Statements'

Hi Kafidipe, I'll mail you privately to help you out.

Hello,My name is Kafidipe Idris a new member of Showmedo and also new to Python Programming.Pls i need to learn very fast,so i need to help me with your videos cos anytime i am watching it keeps seizing.Pls i dont know what to do.Thanks

My name is Floyd Guillory and a new member of ShowMeDo. I am also

new to Python programming. I desperately want to learn to program the Python

language. I have been trying the videos but need classes. ShowMeDo,

can you please direct me to Python Classes? HELP!!!

Floyd Guillory

Hi Marlow. easygui is a *much* simpler GUI framework - it is just designed for simple dialogs, not for 'proper' user interfaces.

Don't forget that rarely does 'one thing work for everyone' - we're blessed with choices in the Python world as different people make great tools to suit different uses.

A part of our job is to show you *which* tools are right for *your* job :-)

Nice intro. Just finished looking at the wxpython series in progress. So is easygui a kind of simpler gui which perhaps has less overhead & capabilities than wxpython? I'm still enthusiastic about learning python and trusting its long-run payoffs! But for now life does seem somewhat more complicated with different gui options, several editors & IDE's you've showed me (I need to center on one), etc. compared to say VB6! But I'm aiming to end up with some modern, cross-platform & multipurpose skills.

Hi jzarecta, thanks for the comment.

These videos are equally applicable to Windows and Linux, you won't miss anything by following the videos whilst using Linux.

Just to note - I'm a big Ubuntu fan and I do much of my Python work inside Ubuntu.

Review of Series Overview in 5 minutes

I think this is a cool new video that is badly needed. The only issue is that is windows based as opposed to more commonly used Linux based for everything that is relevant.

once that said, this is a python not a Linux video yet I would still want to know i will learn the python I will use.

11. anonymous Fri, 14 Sep 2007 08:57

Ii is good

I finnaly get a chance to watch the videos and the first one is a good introduction. My Python knowledge has expanded greatly because of showmedo.com - great job.

Im a beginner in python and because of this tutorial video, It motivate my interest to pursue my further study on this python.

Thanks and keep up the good works

8. anonymous Sun, 26 Aug 2007 08:33

Thanks and keep up the good works

For Python 101 Series.

It's NO BRAINER to get this quality of tutorial and the cost which associated with it. Everyone, who starts learning python, should get it.

Excelent job. Keep up with a good work.

Doik! That was a bug, sorry about that, that crept in last night. All fixed now,

5. anonymous Tue, 19 Jun 2007 11:55

I'm confused. The video above, on my PC, shows an intro to the pay-per-series functionality not an overview of what is covered in the easygui series.

Yes, I guess it was Leo :-) As I say in the video - I actually learned about EasyGUI whilst you had the German-language versions of the videos online, so even though I couldn't understand the audio I could see how useful easygui was going to be!

I use it in several places now, it makes like much easier having easy-access to things like File Selector dialog boxes and messageboxes.

Wow, it looks like you really fall in love with Easygui. Was it Leo from my "Python from Kids" series that introduced you into Easygui ? ;->

Have to dive into your video series now...

Hi Jshack, yes indeed I have been busy putting this together! There's a full 4-days work put in to this series.

I'm keen to hear from viewers whether my technique has improved over my first series.

Wow...Ian's been busy putting this package together. Thanks.

Kudos and Thanks for Ian