Name: [16797] Tim Bower
Description: Assistant Professor Computer Systems Technology Kansas State University at Salina `Tim Bower <http://www.sal.ksu.edu/faculty/tim/>`_ My blog: `Open Source on the Prairie <http://prairiepy.blogspot.com/>`_ ...

Three low cost microphones for screencasting [ID:1616] (1/2)

in series: Screencasting

video tutorial by Tim Bower, added 09/09

Here I use Audacity to compare three microphones. It shows the progressive improvements achieved by using a USB microphone and a larger desktop microphone.

The microphones are: 1) analog Altec Lansing, 2) Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000, 3) Samson C01U.

34. nareshdevineni Thu, 07 Oct 2010 09:09

thanks tim....... ur microphones description video helped me alot......thank u soooo much :">.......cheers ! :)

33. Victor Ferreira Tue, 05 Oct 2010 09:18

Clear demonstration of the differences between the mics. It helped also to understand the noise removal on audacity! :-)

This video was made Camtasia Studio on Windows. Audacity also works with Linux and Macintosh. The newer Audacity, in fact, does a better job of noise removal than the version used with this video.

hello, i am looking for information about make son videos and the information is so good about te audio tips, so what kind of software you use for make the videos...?

Sorry my english is so bad...

30. Dick Whalen Sat, 27 Mar 2010 17:05

Tim,

Great presentation on mics - I also learned from you how to remove noise using audacity.

Thanks again.

Best,

Dick Whalen

Thanks for the great demo and comments.

28. Jaime Velez Fri, 12 Feb 2010 18:55

Thanks for sharing your experience!

very informative. someone suggested usb mic, but no reason. now it is clear. and the sound samples mean i have lived the difference. very nice.

26. anonymous Sat, 12 Dec 2009 15:25

A useful intro to the topic of microphones. I've used both types but never gave it much thought that 3.5mm jack microphones could generate background noise.

Also, have you considered in-built webcam microphones. I use a Logitech Pro Quickcam Pro 9000 for example, which has a built-in microphone. Screencast software (Jing in my case) select this microphone as the default, even if I have a headset with 3.5 mm jack on.

25. anonymous Thu, 10 Dec 2009 22:11

Interesting

24. anonymous Thu, 10 Dec 2009 17:45

Hi, I am a newbie, I don't even have a video or site up yet do to lack of finances. I have started writing a script for youtube on powerpoint but needed info on a voice over. This video just hits the spot regarding info and price. These are mics I can afford.

tunukwa

23. anonymous Wed, 18 Nov 2009 21:49

Fine job Quick, concise, useful. The proven conclusion that the USB mic was measurably better, even in the inexpensive model, is valuable to me. Thankyou

Thanks Tim, very enlightening!

21. anonymous Sat, 31 Oct 2009 11:23

Thanks for the comparison. I could barely discern this differences you noted in the recordings, but I accept that you hear them! :)

20. anonymous Mon, 26 Oct 2009 08:25

Thanks: very clear and useful.

19. anonymous Sun, 25 Oct 2009 03:01

Nice review !

I use samson c01u and LX3000.

The LX 3000 is more convenient and has noise reduction but the vocal quailty is not equla to Samson.

Samon picks up too much noise and bulky if using keyboard.

It's a compromise. For the moment LX 3000 is good enough.

18. anonymous Tue, 20 Oct 2009 06:18

Hi Tim,

Could you send me the precise name of the USB microphone, that is compliant with Linux.

Stephane

Great info, very good. Thanks

16. anonymous Thu, 15 Oct 2009 19:49

well made for the target audience. thank you

I actually picked up a few audacity tricks from this viedo. Thanks.

14. anonymous Sat, 10 Oct 2009 23:58

GREETINGS FROM AUSTRALIA

excellent tutorial and information.

Thanks very much

13. anonymous Fri, 09 Oct 2009 03:47

Clear, concise and straight to the point. Excellent.

12. anonymous Tue, 06 Oct 2009 10:01

Good job - I like it

Great and very well put together - helps to see Audacity doing it's thing as well.

10. anonymous Tue, 29 Sep 2009 12:54

It's nice when someone shares their experience. It's a way to build a better world. Thanks

thanks. very good information.

8. anonymous Sat, 26 Sep 2009 07:13

Very informative video - thanks! BTW, I majored in aerospace engineering at one of K-State's rivals - good ol' KU Jayhawkers.

7. anonymous Sun, 20 Sep 2009 10:23

This is helpful for me, thanks for making this video.

6. anonymous Fri, 18 Sep 2009 21:18

Very helpful. I have a Snowflake USB from Blue Microphone that works well. The headset microphones just didn't work for me. Sounded like Sylvester with all of the P, S, and succotash a mouth can produced.

5. anonymous Thu, 17 Sep 2009 16:58

Thanks for the ShowMeDo video on microphones.

4. anonymous Wed, 16 Sep 2009 21:33

A good idea to consider this for future ShowMeDoers, a useful contribution, and a clear and well-paced delivery. Thank you.

3. anonymous Wed, 16 Sep 2009 06:59

Great experiment. Will make sure I use my USB mic for recording.

2. anonymous Fri, 11 Sep 2009 01:53

very interesting, I am ready to start a few of these myself and appreciate the input.

Useful information. My microphone is not so good, so I really have to speak very close to it, in order to avoid loosing volume.

Kudos and Thanks for Tim