Name: [110] cmpython
Description: I am an early adopter of ShowMeDo, with ShowMeDo-relevant interests in Python, wxPython, Boa Constructor, and other related entities. I also really enjoy oats. ...

2 - Feature Tour of Boa Constructor and 'Hello, World!' [ID:1039] (2/9)

in series: Introduction to Boa Constructor

video tutorial by cmpython, added 02/09

Here I give a quick tour of Boa Constructor's features and then show you how to create a "Hello, World!" application without writing any Python code yourself--Boa will write it for you.

The second video is as good as the first. Clearly presented.

101. Mike Swyers Fri, 08 Oct 2010 07:09

Good vid.

I did not know much about python gui development environments but this is inspiring me to learn more.

To bad I did not know about this a few years ago...

good so far.

99. Jackson Johns Thu, 07 Oct 2010 03:55

Very good tutorial. Easy to follow, presenter was very articulate and really covered each step.

98. andrea console Wed, 08 Sep 2010 16:45

clear and simple, thank you very much

97. Steve Goede Sat, 04 Sep 2010 06:39

Very good explanation!!!

thanks,

Steve

96. Hernan Carrillo Caviedes Sun, 22 Aug 2010 10:53

Very useful to start, and explain is ok

good video. Helped me a lot.

94. katharina Wed, 11 Aug 2010 08:30

very nice!

93. anoninmus Mon, 26 Jul 2010 00:47

very well job

92. Anthony leotta Sat, 24 Jul 2010 07:12

Good. I used the pause button alot so I could work at my own pace then when I was caught I hit play.

91. Diana Graham Tue, 20 Jul 2010 13:17

I can't tell you how much you have helped me in understanding this program. Thanks

90. Steven Lehar Fri, 16 Jul 2010 12:53

Excellent! Very good. Thanks!

verry good !!!!

Thanks for the videos. I just completed the second one "Feature tour of Boa Constructor", and am very glad for these. It's so much clearer to see it in video than just reading about it in the documentation. This is my first time using Boa Constructor, and I'm glad to be able to do "Hello World" in the first 20 minutes or so.

Until I watched this video, I always found Boa Constructor really complicated. You managed to make it look real simple.

Very very good!

Very useful!

Very, very helpful for noobie like me.

Thank You very much!

83. Kirby Myatt Tue, 27 Apr 2010 05:45

Very Good !!!!!

Kirby

82. sword_fish Sat, 24 Apr 2010 18:20

interesting video

Good job!

80. Maria Tampanariu Tue, 30 Mar 2010 13:55

This is great! Thanks a lot for the video tutorials!

79. David Wende Mon, 15 Mar 2010 08:07

Thanks - very helpful

Excellent, particularly for beginners like me that are not ready to write the whole code by their own. Start thinking about Boa (or similar...).

Evaristo

Jim, it should be working now. Thanks for catching that.

Great... but the second tutorial doesn't appear to be working, whatever browser or OS I use to view it.

75. Jim Baremore Tue, 16 Feb 2010 09:25

This is just great. I do not have any CS training and self taught myself Visual Basic. Now that I want to move on to Python, it is very confusing and your video's are helping me to get up and going and when I do that, then I better understand what I am reading.

THANKS

marvelous

73. Jan Korinek Fri, 05 Feb 2010 04:57

As I wrote before, so far it is exactly I expected to get! thanks a lot....

72. Rod Larson Thu, 28 Jan 2010 15:30

Super. Very informative. Keep it up

71. Yohan Seepersad Mon, 25 Jan 2010 07:59

Excellent!!!

Keep up the good work!

Thankyou this is a great way to learn,

68. Terry Cusick Sat, 09 Jan 2010 14:47

Great! First video, however, did not run.

Excellent video I look forward for more of your videos please keep the coming!!!

Ramon

Stamford, CT

66. anonymous Tue, 08 Dec 2009 10:17

Allright, this is excellent. More Boa tuts.

65. anonymous Fri, 04 Dec 2009 19:54

With Ubuntu 9.10, I installed the latest version of Boa constructor and wanted to learn it with the aid of a tutorial which is more user- friendly than its built-in help file. I Have been using VB6 and wanted a substitute in Linux ( Gambas is of course there !). Your tutorial located by Google seems to be excellent, simple, clear and easy after watching the first two parts and I have decided to watch all the videos. Thank you very much for uploading this free video tutorial which will be of extreme help to those who are interested in BOA. Thank you once again.

Prof. R. Jayaram, Irinjalakuda, Kerala, India.

64. anonymous Fri, 27 Nov 2009 06:05

Great, thanks.

63. anonymous Fri, 20 Nov 2009 07:54

excellent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

62. anonymous Tue, 17 Nov 2009 10:46

Very google man. i am very happy for video .

thx . from kid.

61. anonymous Fri, 13 Nov 2009 06:16

Just want to say thanks for the tutorial, it's easy to understand and very useful!

60. anonymous Wed, 11 Nov 2009 09:06

Excelent my like in spanish

59. anonymous Tue, 10 Nov 2009 14:57

bravo!

58. anonymous Mon, 02 Nov 2009 06:34

exelente......

57. anonymous Thu, 22 Oct 2009 14:54

Thank you very much for your lessons they are very useful for beginners like me.

56. anonymous Fri, 09 Oct 2009 04:19

thanks, for that video,

I spend cople of hours trying to push button, and do something "onclick",without success,this video gave me a hint

55. anonymous Sat, 03 Oct 2009 09:24

Moving from Visual FoxPro - which I love - to Python. Boa Constructor appears to be a good replacement for the IDE in VFP - and your videos are providing a fantastic quick start. I'm depressed to be giving up VFP - a tool which I have found immensely valuable - but am excited to learn Python and build a skill set in a language with a future.

Thanks for these great videos

54. anonymous Thu, 01 Oct 2009 13:51

Very good, thanks a lot !

53. anonymous Tue, 29 Sep 2009 21:20

Awesome video. Quick and to the point. Its got me stoked about using Boa. (...and to think I used to do this the hard way!)

52. anonymous Mon, 28 Sep 2009 17:28

Very good.

Simple and efective.

51. anonymous Mon, 28 Sep 2009 08:45

This was an excellent tutorial, PLEASE do MORE!!!

Thanks. This screencast was helpful. My app didn't run under Boa Constructor because I needed a few things setup first--like picking a Python interpreter. It still won't execute off the yellow arrow, so I still need to fiddle with it.

49. anonymous Mon, 07 Sep 2009 13:14

Interesting. I have never really understood how to use Boa.

48. anonymous Wed, 26 Aug 2009 15:15

Great! I would like to know if there are some plan to improve these IDE, and if exists some new efforts from 2007

WOW, this is as close to visual studio as I can find and I have been looking around for weeks. I am still learning to program in python. I hope someone at showmedo can help out with the project and also post the a link on your website. I have tried, glade, wxwidget and donwloaded various gui creators and boa constructor is really fantastic and easy to use for someone coming from visual studio. keep up the great work with the videos.

46. anonymous Tue, 11 Aug 2009 21:19

its 4 in the morning and the vids are enjoymative!

45. anonymous Sun, 02 Aug 2009 15:04

great !

44. anonymous Mon, 20 Jul 2009 13:08

Another very good video

43. anonymous Fri, 17 Jul 2009 01:35

Great! Certainly the documentation is horrible but your video helps a lot to get started... Many thanks

42. anonymous Thu, 16 Jul 2009 14:28

I searched for nearly half an hour how to start Boa's GUI designer and the documentation on Boa's website wasn't a big help. After the seven minutes of your movie I know where to start. Thanks a lot.

41. anonymous Tue, 14 Jul 2009 07:00

As always, exceptional quality : )

40. anonymous Wed, 08 Jul 2009 09:20

Completed 2nd video with no problem. I already understand a bit more. The module runner had completely eluded me. I was adding that manually, and probably not always correctly.

39. anonymous Tue, 30 Jun 2009 11:52

Good job. Not much to write on this one, but I'll be watching all 9 of these for sure!

38. anonymous Sat, 20 Jun 2009 19:53

Like it

37. anonymous Sat, 20 Jun 2009 18:58

Like it

36. anonymous Sat, 13 Jun 2009 02:51

I needed a quick way in to Python, wxPython and Boa Constructor. II think I've found it.

I just watched your second video and you showed me how to cover a lot of ground. I look forwards to the rest of the series.

Thanks for taking your time to do it.

35. anonymous Thu, 11 Jun 2009 11:32

Good speaker. Nice clear step-by-step instructions. Best tutorial I found anywhere. I was able to follow along w/o any problems. I got all the requisites files installed and was able to run Boa the first time (after I assigned the location of the Python executable under the Tools menu in the Editor).

Too bad that Boa doesn't work properly on Unix so I set up Boa on an XP box and save the files to a shared folder on an Ubuntu box where I do real work.

34. anonymous Sun, 31 May 2009 05:07

Very helpful - thanks.

33. anonymous Wed, 27 May 2009 21:15

Thanks for this tutorial. It really helped me understand some of the basics of BOA Const.

32. anonymous Sun, 24 May 2009 18:09

31. anonymous Sat, 23 May 2009 10:51

Thank you! I am on my way. Jack

30. anonymous Sun, 10 May 2009 06:40

Great tutorial. Very clear and In a very very educational way.

29. anonymous Mon, 04 May 2009 14:19

cool

28. anonymous Wed, 29 Apr 2009 02:14

Very Nice and to the point, exactly what I was looking for

27. anonymous Sun, 19 Apr 2009 19:48

good, informative, glad i watched it

26. anonymous Fri, 17 Apr 2009 03:37

Having just gone through the wxpython videos and experimented a bit, I guess boa will help a lot in understanding the underlying wxpython code and also aid in quick gui development. Simple and to the point video.

25. anonymous Wed, 15 Apr 2009 07:07

wonderful

24. anonymous Thu, 09 Apr 2009 13:21

Good, brief, and to the point. I followed along and now have my Hello, Workd app.

21. anonymous Tue, 07 Apr 2009 12:33

Hi!

Good startup for using Boa! I learned good basics with it! Thanks!

This is the way to learn graphical user interface programming, borrowed from Visual Studio(although probably an idea stolen to some other app).

Grab the graphical elements into the edit window and watch the code required in the code window.

And what better way than with a screencast to get us started. Two thumbs up!

19. anonymous Sat, 04 Apr 2009 14:18

Very good demo. Thanks

18. anonymous Fri, 03 Apr 2009 08:04

Great. Thanks very much! Neven

17. anonymous Mon, 30 Mar 2009 20:01

Well done tutorial, just what I was looking for.

16. anonymous Sat, 28 Mar 2009 20:50

Great video. Got me started with GUI programming in python.

14. anonymous Tue, 24 Mar 2009 07:06

greate!thank you very much!

Very Nice.

Very nice basic intro.

excellent voice and pace - good coverage of topic

thanks

excellent voice and pace - good coverage of topic

thanks

9. anonymous Thu, 19 Mar 2009 14:39

Hi Anonymous #8,

The problem is, *I think*, that you are running Python 2.6. Unfortunately, as of now (Mar 2009), wxPython does not run well with Python 2.6. That is being looked into by the guru of wxPython, but for now you should either use Python 2.5 (which is very good anyway), or there might be a workaround, see this post by him about it: http://tiny.cc/h8bWd

8. anonymous Thu, 19 Mar 2009 13:22

Thanks for the tutorial! it helps me pick up the boa tool in a very short time!

7. anonymous Thu, 19 Mar 2009 12:36

Hi. I followed everything you did in the first two videos, but when I press the yellow arrow, I don't get anything. At the bottom of the screen I get the following message (I couldn't copy it, so I'm typing it. There may be typos):

Errors

ImportError: DLLload failed : this application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

3: HelloWorld.py: import wx

45: __init__.py: from wx._core import *

4: _core.py: import __core__

Under the error tab it said:

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "HelloWorld.py", line 3, in <module>

import wx

File "C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\wx-2.8-msw-unicode\wx\__init__.py", line 45, in <module>

from wx._core import *

File "C:\Python26\lib\site-packages\wx-2.8-msw-unicode\wx\_core.py", line 4, in <module>

import _core_

ImportError: DLL load failed: This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem.

If this is the wrong place to ask, I'm sorry, please direct me to the correct place.

Thanks,

Dennis

Your video has been edited. This is an automatic post by ShowMeDo.

Hi anonymous. You bet--in fact, there are 7 more Boa Constructor videos already uploaded, they just are being processed by ShowMeDo still, but I imagine will be posted within a few days. There are 9 total in the Introduction to Boa Constructor series.

very nice. Can see the delphic inspiration. And enough to suggest it has a deal more power than wxglade. Will follow with interest.

The ShowMeDo Robot says - this video is now published, thanks for adding to ShowMeDo.

Your video has been edited. This is an automatic post by ShowMeDo.

Kudos and Thanks for cmpython