Name: [110] cmpython
Description: I am an early adopter of ShowMeDo, with ShowMeDo-relevant interests in Python, wxPython, Boa Constructor, and other related entities. I also really enjoy oats. ...

1 - Overview of Boa Constructor and How to Get It [ID:1038] (1/9)

in series: Introduction to Boa Constructor

video tutorial by cmpython, added 02/09

A basic introduction to the Boa Constructor IDE/visual GUI builder for wxPython. Describes what it can do and how to get the most recent version up and running on your computer. In this series I am using Boa 0.6.1 with wxPython 2.8.7.1 and Python 2.5, running on Windows XP (see below for issues with Ubuntu; I have not tested it on Mac).

Please note: for users running Boa on Mac or Linux, should use the .zip (source) download instead of the win32 installer. I have also experienced some problems running Boa on 64 bit Ubuntu 8.10. See this reply for a number of issues I have just identified with that platform: http://tiny.cc/TQVUS

very good and to the point. It was very well presented

Thanks, good overview.

55. Francis POIX Sat, 09 Oct 2010 07:00

Good start

54. Francis POIX Sat, 09 Oct 2010 06:56

Good start

53. andrea console Wed, 08 Sep 2010 16:09

excellent tutorial, thanks

52. Anthony leotta Sat, 24 Jul 2010 06:51

Very good. Nice job.

51. Daryl Williams Fri, 16 Jul 2010 07:26

Excellent boa constructor tutorials for beginners.

Good stuff for newbies!

Really good, very usefull

Good start.

wow, i managed to download.After failing to download Python Card and some other trouble, it looked like this is going to be another mishap. , but ( !!! ) , folder site-packages showed up all the sudden under python 2.6/Lib, it was not there after download and install, i opened IDLE meantime,did this do the trick ?

Its very frustrating these download efforts for beginners, maybe you could look into the mather and warn my fellow rookies, and big,big thanks for these lovely vid tuts, im gonna get cracking now ( @ 2.49 AM) :)

46. Maria Tampanariu Tue, 30 Mar 2010 13:34

Thanks! :)

45. Jim Barber Fri, 19 Feb 2010 12:24

Just viewed the first video on Boa Constructor. I thought it well done and I was glad that you did it on XP. I am full time Ubuntu user but I still have XP dual booted with Ubuntu 9.04.

I first met Boa Constructor in Full Circle Magazine and found the tutorial a little confusing but good never the less. Boa did not quite respond in some ways as I had expected but I was able to figure out what was happening.

I use Ubuntu full time but I will be repeating the lessons on XP, the more practice the better and also I will learn how to transfer my programs to the windows platform.

Jim Barber

44. John Crawford Sat, 13 Feb 2010 23:58

Thanks to your help I was able o install Boa Constructor

very clear

42. Jan Korinek Fri, 05 Feb 2010 03:11

Thanks, I believe your set of videos about Boa will help me to get the grip much faster, than the plain self-study through all blind alleys it provides ;o)

41. Andrey Vykhodtsev Wed, 27 Jan 2010 05:51

thanks going to watch next one

40. anonymous Thu, 03 Dec 2009 19:14

Very accessible and clear introduction. Good job! Thanks.

39. anonymous Fri, 27 Nov 2009 05:56

Great. Thanks.

These are awesome. Just what I needed to keep moving on a project. Thanks!

37. anonymous Fri, 20 Nov 2009 07:37

This is a fantastic site

36. anonymous Wed, 18 Nov 2009 15:44

Nice Introduction, very imfrmative

35. anonymous Wed, 11 Nov 2009 15:39

Nice job! I'm looking forward the next ones.

34. anonymous Thu, 22 Oct 2009 10:36

Great intro. Lots of good info about choosing the package type from sourceforge. Good reference for CVS.

Presentation style is relaxed. Commentator's voice is pleasant to the ear. Well prepared delivery (no umms', ahh's, stammering). Very professional.

Cleverly patched voice over there! It would be nice if these videos had cut/paste resource files to go along with the content ...

32. anonymous Mon, 07 Sep 2009 15:41

Very nice introductory video. You went thru the steps without assuming knowledge on the part of your viewers that they they might not have. That is a great asset, which seems to be lacking on the web, when doing tutorials.

31. anonymous Tue, 25 Aug 2009 09:32

great start. I'm looking forward to the rest.

30. anonymous Sun, 23 Aug 2009 09:17

Nice intro. Thanks for your work!

29. anonymous Fri, 14 Aug 2009 16:56

I'm already a member forgot to log on, this is an awesome video for boa constructor, very clear, concise and i was able to do , a newbie.

28. anonymous Sun, 02 Aug 2009 14:18

Just getting started. After going through this series, I'll leave comments. Thanks for creating this tut, it is very much appreciated.

27. anonymous Mon, 20 Jul 2009 12:51

Very Good intro

26. anonymous Tue, 14 Jul 2009 06:48

It was wonderful. I love the author's voice :). And it was very informative and helpful. Thank you folks at ShowMeDO and the author of this cast as well :)

25. anonymous Wed, 08 Jul 2009 09:05

I have never been able to make sense out of Boa Constructor. I found your videos and have installed it with no problems following the first video. Very well done. I am looking forward to learning to use it properly.

John

24. anonymous Tue, 30 Jun 2009 12:39

#23: Note: In the descriptive text that accompanies the video, the author does say that this video "Describes what it can do and how to get the most recent version up and running on your computer." I think that does indicate that if you already have Boa, you can skip this video.

23. anonymous Tue, 30 Jun 2009 11:43

It would be useful if you had a short slide on exactly WHAT is going to be on the video, I feel I rather wasted 8 minutes watching this video on a low bandwidth connection, since I'd already downloaded and installed Boa.

Lets see how the real stuff is, from the next video onwards.

22. anonymous Thu, 04 Jun 2009 12:26

wanna learn boa

21. anonymous Sun, 31 May 2009 11:15

i just have just watched the first introduction to boa constructor...it looks nice...thanks for this series...i will watch some more now:)....

20. anonymous Sat, 23 May 2009 10:18

The main reason I watched this is because when Boa Constructor comes up for me it says "Zope Editor," and I was wondering if I had the real thing for application development.

Otherwise, I thought it was fine. I learned about bitmaps for icons from your video, and really appreciate that.

19. anonymous Fri, 15 May 2009 01:00

Good intro - looking forward to the next steps.

Great tutorial! Just what I needed, a video Boa Constructor & overview!

17. anonymous Tue, 21 Apr 2009 15:32

Just what I needed to get started. Thank you so much for creating this demonstration.

15. anonymous Thu, 09 Apr 2009 13:02

Nicely done.

Thanks, it helped me understand the basics.

13. anonymous Wed, 01 Apr 2009 19:59

Great Video,

Look forward to seeing more.

Cheers

12. anonymous Sat, 28 Mar 2009 20:40

Hi,

Nice video. Just started learning python and interested in GUI programming in python. Showed me what to download and get started with.

Thanks again.

Very cool. Changing the icon of the batch file was a nice touch.

Your video has been edited. This is an automatic post by ShowMeDo.

8. anonymous Fri, 20 Mar 2009 08:43

Chaelon,

Just watched the first one. Excellent job, short, concise and to the point.

Only thing I would say is that users not using Windows, i.e. Linux or Apple should use the .zip (source) download instead of the win32 installer.

Keep up the good work!

Werner

Your video has been edited. This is an automatic post by ShowMeDo.

Hi cm,

Congratulations on a really good job. I have tried Boa Constructor in the past and been a little frustrated with it, and turned to wxGlade instead. However, your screencasts have encouraged me to take another ride up the glass mountain. I have always found it easier to use a code generator to help get something working, and then figure out what is going on. "wxPython in Action" by Noel Rappin, and Robin Dunn, and "Cross-Platform GUI Programming with wxWidgets". are useful resources. ("wxWidgets" is written in CPP,but usually applies to wxPython as well, and with a little practice you can follow the translation, even if you don't know much CPP). Also, don't forget Kyran's excellent series as well.

I hope that cm's series will encourage more people to get their feet wet and try Boa Constructor and wxPython. After viewing all 9 screencasts, I can say that they are of high quality and worth checking out.

Thanks cm!

Jerol

hi cm,

sorry for the publishing delay - we're currently moving servers and revamping the site so all is a bit manic. Fantastic to finally see a boa-constructor screencast! Am very curious - I tried it a while back but it looks to have matured quite a bit since then. And open-source gui-builders are fairly sparse on the ground. Thanks a lot for making the effort. The screencast is paced well, video and audio good on this box. I know this is going to generate some interest.

The ShowMeDo Robot says - this video is now published, thanks for adding to ShowMeDo.

Your video has been edited. This is an automatic post by ShowMeDo.

Your video has been edited. This is an automatic post by ShowMeDo.

Kudos and Thanks for cmpython