Name: [1836] Neil Dickson
Description: Hi, I'm a performance optimization enthusiast with an interest for many sorts of tough challenges. I've started Code Cortex, a group working to make software performance easier to improve. My sites are: http://www.neildickson.com/ http://www.codecortex.com/ ...

Assembly Language Tutorial: Episode 0: Some Background [ID:850] (1/7)

in series: Assembly Language Tutorial

video tutorial by Neil Dickson, added 08/08

This video introduces the tutorial and some basic concepts about the CPU and RAM before actually looking at any assembly language. It also explains what assembly language is and when one might want to use it.

It doesn't actually require much prior knowledge, but I would recommend that you have a decent grasp of C before delving into assembly. No special software is needed for this video.

Really nice tutorials. Thank you

137. Larry B Thu, 14 Oct 2010 15:02

Lovely, time to watch your other videos.

Nice!

135. anushila Fri, 10 Sep 2010 20:14

nice video

134. Michael Fri, 03 Sep 2010 04:57

Really good video.

Good.

If give more text message, it is better.

132. Arun kumar Wed, 25 Aug 2010 00:23

Excellent video for a true beginner..

good I like knowing what goes under the hood

it is very helpfull, tanks

Uhm... Well this is the first video I've seen... And well... What I can say right away is that you should do something about your voice, drink some water or something. But aside that, it's pretty cool and I'm learning stuff already! Thanks!

Thank you Neil, extremely good tutorial. You really show that anything can be taught easily.

Excellent!!!

125. El1iP3S01D Mon, 26 Jul 2010 22:40

Could you please a make Video How-to Series on 64 bit Assembly Language and How to create a 64 bit Bootloader using 64 bit Assembly language..

wonderful! thanks!

123. Mollie Mc Manigal Fri, 11 Jun 2010 03:39

this video was well done.

122. Vipander Bhatti Tue, 01 Jun 2010 06:52

Great lecture.

Thanks for the excellent eplanation.

Thanks for the excellent eplanation.

Very concise, looking forwardto the other videos. Thanks

118. zia ur rehman Wed, 19 May 2010 02:20

it was quite informative and very hepling

117. Yun Shen Tue, 11 May 2010 08:45

Good tutorial! Concise but full of content! Helps me a lot! Thanks!

Nice tutorial keep it up.

i am looking for realy good video lessons,so to learn faster softwear programs,and i like this one.i am curious for the others, good job! :))

114. Anthony Rizzo Sun, 11 Apr 2010 09:41

Thank you Neil for taking the time to create these videos, I'm sure I will benefit from them! You are the man!

excellent

112. theoostar Sun, 21 Mar 2010 03:47

thanxs

111. Shubham Shukla Thu, 18 Mar 2010 20:36

Great beginning place for ASM tutorial. I am trying to get an understading of x86 ASM so that i have that power of coding at *that* lower level... The tutorial haas been very effective so far...

Thanks Neil.

Very interesting, thanks a lot!

very informative, looking forward to watching the rest!

108. Klāvs Priedītis Tue, 09 Mar 2010 08:45

Nice tutorial, looking forward to see your next tutorial and then i will send you another comment.

107. Richard Badu Thu, 04 Mar 2010 10:33

I loved this video...please help me Ace Assembly Language

thank you.u ve have done what i cud not get 4rm my lectural

I have always wanted to understand ASM but never found a clean video tutorial on the subject. Looks good so far

104. Zia Ur Rehman Sat, 20 Feb 2010 09:22

i wan to learn who to program a microcontroller and to desigine a project .

therefore i want to learn about programing

103. Dolores Ladines Tue, 02 Feb 2010 22:15

Thanks for the idea. I really appreciate it.

Thanks for making, hope theres more

101. Sandeep Sat, 23 Jan 2010 21:53

The video was simple and really easy to understand

first video was great, looking forward to seeing more.

99. Yaroslav Trofimov Thu, 14 Jan 2010 10:59

nice tutorial...I like it very much..Thanks

98. Jan-Olov Kvassman Tue, 12 Jan 2010 15:34

Nice tutorial. I like the way you approach the heart of the matter. But, you should definietly improve on the sound recording.

Very nice! Video tutorials on assembly language is something I haven't seen before. Well done, thanks.

96. Norberto A Pedroza Jr Thu, 07 Jan 2010 18:51

I really appreciate it, it's easy to understand.

Thank you very much. I will continue learning assembly language using your series of video tutorial.

95. anonymous Wed, 06 Jan 2010 06:12

Great tutorial.

I wished there was more of graphics and animation. It would be nice if you can explain the entire process when a computer adds 2 and 2. I wanted to know what part of the computer converts 2 into binary and + into binary and how the processor processes the information. I wished it was so detailed that I could actually feel the data moving.

I am learning C, C++ and very much interested in the lowest language. I was bit dissappointed when my instructor told me that C is not actually the lowest language.

Professionally, I do 3D and animation work. I wud love to help you to make such a animated tutorial. Actually, that wud only help me learn things. And I would do it all for free. if you are interested, mail me at pritam8000@gmail.com

94. anonymous Wed, 30 Dec 2009 09:46

sir,

marvelous explanation. i would like to hear more about assembly language coding from you. thank you very much.

sincerely yours

bidhan

Assam(India)

93. anonymous Mon, 28 Dec 2009 14:21

Awesomee!!

92. anonymous Sat, 26 Dec 2009 05:49

great overview with a mature perspective

91. anonymous Mon, 21 Dec 2009 15:59

Great assembly resource

90. anonymous Wed, 16 Dec 2009 19:42

very clear, explanations, this makes the information not so overwhelming to process.

89. anonymous Sat, 12 Dec 2009 20:57

Keep-up the good work.

88. anonymous Fri, 11 Dec 2009 12:39

cool basic video

87. anonymous Tue, 08 Dec 2009 18:48

its quite helpful...it helped me a lot

keep it up..thanx

86. anonymous Mon, 07 Dec 2009 12:13

really good and quick

85. anonymous Sat, 28 Nov 2009 08:29

Great job, Thanks.

84. anonymous Fri, 20 Nov 2009 06:19

great job to help newbies understand and learn some stuff they are interested in. thx

83. anonymous Thu, 19 Nov 2009 19:44

good so far can't wait to see more!

82. anonymous Thu, 19 Nov 2009 07:49

I realy want to learn assembly language and i am learning it in university but i am not anderstanding

81. anonymous Mon, 16 Nov 2009 13:16

I've watched video so far, and it is pretty good. I have no complaints.

80. anonymous Fri, 13 Nov 2009 09:17

I am interested in learning at least a little bit about assembly language in order to test software. In particular, I would like to learn enough to prove that stack overflows are a problem in our software and should be fixed.

79. anonymous Fri, 13 Nov 2009 00:34

Great job.

78. anonymous Mon, 09 Nov 2009 17:43

Very good one. Thanks.

77. anonymous Sat, 07 Nov 2009 04:10

Thank you 4 sharing you're knowledge, this language is very interstenting and fascinating.

76. anonymous Tue, 03 Nov 2009 07:01

excellent ! takes the fear out of Assemlby Language

75. anonymous Wed, 28 Oct 2009 13:42

Hi Neil....I've been trying to learn C++ for awhile now....Although I do understand basic concepts about the language I still can't make a real program with it....I thought learning a little bit about Assembly might give me a richer understanding about the structure of programming and might fill in a few blanks I still have in regards to programming

Great Video for the absolute beginner, and for those that might be trying Assembly for the first time.

73. anonymous Wed, 21 Oct 2009 09:11

Thanks for explaining the hexadecimal RAM positioning system; I've always wondered about that, and I now I know what the assembly language I've been looking at is talking about.

72. anonymous Tue, 20 Oct 2009 18:13

I love your tutorials, I think that it's the best online tutorial out there!

so thanks you so much!!!

Daniel.

71. anonymous Tue, 20 Oct 2009 01:53

yar very good very weldone

70. anonymous Fri, 02 Oct 2009 14:50

Perfect

69. anonymous Fri, 25 Sep 2009 06:47

So far it was alright. I only saw the Introduction part but the narrator seems to know what he is talking about. I am learning VB6 and want to learn a bit about asm. I am very greatful for these tuts. Thanks for putting these tuts together for noobs like me tolearn.

68. anonymous Thu, 24 Sep 2009 01:57

can only program pic microcontrollers in assembly have problems with higher order languages, looking forward to more ass videos

Glad to hear you like it! :)

66. anonymous Sat, 19 Sep 2009 00:58

i am so happy to get this lecture and it is so clear to understand.

may be i can say "you make to understand in better way than my teacher did"

hopefully you will teach me all staff.

thanks

65. anonymous Tue, 15 Sep 2009 16:23

THANK YOU this tutorial was awesome!!!

64. anonymous Mon, 14 Sep 2009 21:48

that is good

Re a comprehensive book on assembly language:

It depends what you're looking for. There's The Art of Assembly by Randall Hyde, but the assembly part of it focuses on a high-level abstraction of assembly instead of assembly itself, so it hides how the software is actually working pretty quickly.

If it's a raw, massive CPU and instruction reference you'd like, the Intel Software Developer's Manual (probably just Volume 2) is what you need. I warn that it's gigantic (4000+ pages total), though. It's good for looking things up (reference material), but bad for learning concepts (tutorial material).

Cheers, and thanks for all the comments everyone! :)

62. anonymous Sun, 06 Sep 2009 11:34

the video lec was good and i think subsequent lec is going to help me

61. anonymous Thu, 03 Sep 2009 20:28

Hi, great service, what is the most comprehensive book on assembly language.

60. anonymous Tue, 01 Sep 2009 11:10

Good intro to Assembly Language!

Cool. Not many bother about Assembly Lang Tutorials. Thank U for ur time & initiative.

58. anonymous Sat, 29 Aug 2009 06:14

very impressive~

57. anonymous Tue, 18 Aug 2009 02:06

Hello,

I'm not actually a coder but I wonder very much what's going on under the hood. I've watched your first videos and I understood (almost) all of it! That's a big deal for I don't know shit about programming. Whatever, thank you very very much Neil, and I hope your series will continue...

56. anonymous Fri, 14 Aug 2009 23:09

Cool tutorials and very useful.

I use a Win XP OS, How can i start learning assembly language

(is Inventor IDE suitable for XP?)

Thanks Neil

Keep Going.

i'm waiting for the Advanced Tut you promessed.

55. anonymous Fri, 14 Aug 2009 09:11

nice informative....lookin forward to it.....

54. anonymous Thu, 13 Aug 2009 08:26

Great, and simply put!!!!

53. anonymous Sun, 09 Aug 2009 15:01

Excellent!

52. anonymous Sun, 02 Aug 2009 12:49

Awesome into.. now im hooked

51. anonymous Thu, 30 Jul 2009 10:05

Great introduction. Just what I was looking for.

49. anonymous Tue, 21 Jul 2009 10:49

Very good and clear info.

48. anonymous Sat, 18 Jul 2009 18:47

47. anonymous Fri, 17 Jul 2009 09:26

Great, thanks. It was really helpful. Hope you will make some more

46. anonymous Tue, 14 Jul 2009 10:10

Good one

45. anonymous Sun, 12 Jul 2009 08:46

really nice!

44. anonymous Thu, 09 Jul 2009 02:15

Great!

43. anonymous Sat, 04 Jul 2009 22:02

Very impressed vedio series, as well very challenging for me who only completed a first microcontroller course ever from no backround idea at all. I just managed to completed it, I mean the grade is not very impressed. How much I learnt from it is far from getting a career on the field but it prompted me to do more work. I have a few questions for a personal start but I want to know it this is alright to you.

I think you are that one person that somebody has to ask for something. I watched all the vedios, I am very impressed - thank you.

42. anonymous Thu, 02 Jul 2009 16:17

Great intro, I really appreciate it.

41. anonymous Mon, 29 Jun 2009 22:44

Enjoyed the introduction.

Look forward to watching more videos

40. anonymous Sun, 14 Jun 2009 17:32

Hi,

I just found this site. It looks iteresting so far. I'll be back from time to time as I want to learn to code in assembly language. I'm really new so any guidance is appreciated. I did do some basic and c several years back.

thanks,

Lee

39. anonymous Fri, 12 Jun 2009 07:33

nice

38. anonymous Fri, 12 Jun 2009 07:33

nice

37. anonymous Tue, 09 Jun 2009 02:15

Hi,

Nice intro, needs little more exposure to fetch/ execute instruction (graphic simulation)

Ram

36. anonymous Sun, 07 Jun 2009 17:17

thanks man

35. anonymous Sat, 06 Jun 2009 02:00

Great...

34. anonymous Fri, 05 Jun 2009 10:57

Neil, I appreciate your efforts in this video series very much. I studied engineering a long time ago, and had difficulty learning assembly language. It just wasn't taught to me with any enthusiasm or effort over 10 years ago. Your videos help to reinforce and give a bigger picture to the little bits and pieces of information about assembly language and computer architecture that I still remember. Thank you very much for taking the time and effort to create theses videos.

Sincerely,

Seth J. Brickel

33. anonymous Tue, 02 Jun 2009 06:16

Hi Nick!

this is simply great video. thanks 4 making such like a video.

32. anonymous Wed, 27 May 2009 00:02

Its fantastic and very much helpful.

31. anonymous Sun, 24 May 2009 13:53

thanks for the concise explanations..they give me something to hang on to as I step through this process of learning assembly

30. anonymous Wed, 06 May 2009 08:47

Your video toturial is very well done grats. i hold like to see more general things we can do with assembly in wikipédia they say its just for O.S. functions? its all that we can do with assembly or are any other possibilitys?

Example: Can i wright a full program with it? How good is assembly for?

A couple of questions that will help new comers understand the possibiltes of this leanguege

29. anonymous Sat, 02 May 2009 02:02

This tutorial really saves time.... Shame that unfinished....

So strongly recommend this even for beginners, because after this assembly becomes easier... =)

Thanks to author

Thanks for the continued feedback, everyone! :) The tutorial, along with another or two, will get going again this summer (hopefully well before the end of May, but I shouldn't make promises I can't guarantee, hehe). I'm just working on fixing some bugs and putting in some debug logging before I make the next videos so that hopefully nobody else has the few mysterious errors that have been reported.

I really love making the videos, so I can't wait to get back to it. :)

27. anonymous Fri, 01 May 2009 16:02

This tutorial really saves time.... Shame that unfinished....

Thanks to author

26. anonymous Thu, 23 Apr 2009 19:15

nice and easy, well explained

25. anonymous Sat, 18 Apr 2009 15:37

It seems like a very good series of videos... Thanks for beginning softly!

24. anonymous Thu, 16 Apr 2009 11:35

want to explore

23. anonymous Tue, 14 Apr 2009 00:19

very good video, i love it much

21. anonymous Mon, 06 Apr 2009 18:17

thanks!

Great introductory video.Very well explained. Looking forward to watching the rest of the series. Thanks :)

19. anonymous Mon, 30 Mar 2009 15:19

I love your vids on programming now i know how to do assembly THANKS!

18. anonymous Fri, 20 Mar 2009 08:23

Hi, I am just a beginner, I have Mplab 7.41 and need to get started with the basics.

I gather i have a lot to learn from masters like you. Many Thanks,Roy

16. anonymous Sun, 08 Feb 2009 01:07

Awesome tutorial.

With respect to microcontrollers, I've done very little with them, so unfortunately, I wouldn't be much help. There are probably a few forums out there that could help find some good starting resources. Sorry.

14. anonymous Fri, 26 Dec 2008 02:01

I am trying to learn assembly for use in programming the family of pic microcontrollers.I wish I could find more videos on explaining the cpu and assembly language.Thanks for this.

can you show a sample how to program in your video

Hi Vishal!

I should hopefully be able to get the next video out this coming week; I've been really busy. The slides and program are made. I just need to record and post the video. :)

Thanks for such unique video series

can we expect more in the series ?

10. anonymous Sat, 13 Sep 2008 13:02

Review of Assembly Language Tutorial: Episode 0: Some Background

Thanks, great intro. I'm looking forward to the next episode.

9. anonymous Sun, 07 Sep 2008 21:55

Thanks for the video. Look forward to view future videos on this topic.

I'm glad to see that people are interested. :)

I've had some audio problems, so I'll get the next video up tomorrow (Saturday, for those of us in North America) instead of yesterday.

Some assembly can be made "cross-platform" up to that you could write part of a program in assembly and have the program be able to be compiled for Windows on x86, linux on x86, and Mac on x86, but not for most cell phones. You'd have to have a wrapper for the system API calls, though, and that gets pretty complicated.

7. anonymous Mon, 01 Sep 2008 13:58

Review of Assembly Language Tutorial: Episode 0: Some Background

I am looking forward to your next video on asm! And to see some asm code again. It's a pity asm is too low level to be cross platform.

Thanks! The IDE "should" run in Linux, since it's just Java, but it's been a long while since someone's tried, so odds are that there'll be some little bug that I've missed, though I fixed a few that my friend told me about when he tried it.

That said, when I initially add built-in assembling (in the next few weeks), it'll only be for 32-bit Windows EXEs, since that's the current priority. By January, I have to get it assembling together 16-bit, 32-bit, and 64-bit operating system code into custom binary files in order to finally build my OS for my honours project. Once there are a couple of examples like that, it shouldn't be too hard for someone else to add support for other executable formats.

The other possible issue is that the slapped-together way I'm supporting external APIs right now may or may not easily transfer over to a unix-like API, but I've got to change that eventually anyway. Also, the code given in the tutorial (though not the file being written) uses the Windows API, and I'll assemble with MASM for now. It should easily run under WINE, though.

Cheers! :)

Good job!

Will your IDE run in Linux, or has anyone tried? Just curious!

Thanks! :)

I'm sorry that it's taken so long to get around to making a series. I kept raising the demands on the quality of my IDE before I show it in action, but now I have to get it and a video tutorial ready for the students in the assembly language and digital logic course at Carleton University. Once I fix the last few bugs that I'll deal with (i.e. hopefully by Thursday, when classes start) I'll have the next video ready for posting.

The next video will probably be the hardest conceptually, but I'll try to keep it as simple as possible.

Great video and pace. Looking forward to episode 1 !

The ShowMeDo Robot says - this video is now published, thanks for adding to ShowMeDo.

Hi Neil, great first video. Lovely to see some assembly language tuition on ShowMeDo! I'm looking forward to the next episodes, I haven't had to touch assembly for 10 years (last time I did it was writing a virtual machine, compiler and language for the machine).

Ian (co-founder)