Name: [8039] percious
Description: www.percious.com ...

Using Virtualenv and PasteScript [ID:785] (1/3)

in series: Agile Development Tools in Python

video tutorial by percious, added 07/08

Here I go through how to create a virtual environment, and create a package for development.

62. Emyr Thomas Fri, 03 Sep 2010 04:52

Brilliant! Clear and to the point. Good work.

61. Brian Ball Fri, 03 Sep 2010 01:39

Here's a formula i learned in Toastmasters:

1. Tell me what you're going to tell me

2. Tell me

3. Tell me what you told me.

This helps when people's minds are wandering in and out. :-) Thanks for the video.

60. Ramiro Batista da Luz Tue, 31 Aug 2010 11:24

Very nice video, thank you. It was very helpful for me.

Thanks! The only detail that you might have included is the explanation of the behind the scenes fact that when you created the package (I think), it registered it with site-packages, which is why the import step that you demo then works. But I could see that in the output when I went back to look for it.

With your demo I have saved some much time understanding the utility of those two tools.

Thank you alot !

Found the video great - many thanks!

Thank you for this video, it has helped me to learn about this two great tools.

Regards,

Jose

55. Geert Dekkers Sun, 23 May 2010 02:49

Great tutorial, thanks!

54. Doncho N. Gunchev Fri, 16 Apr 2010 16:44

Great tutorial!

53. John Posner Tue, 23 Mar 2010 11:54

Thanks for the clear, concise demo!

52. anibalrg Sun, 14 Mar 2010 17:44

Great tutorial!

Nice demo! Thank you to percious

Thanx! It was my first lesson with python :)

BR, Arthur

Great! Very helpful, thanks a lot.

48. John Graves Sun, 07 Feb 2010 20:08

Here was a transcript of what I typed to get the same results on a Windows D: drive (Scripts replaces bin and pongg replaces myproject):

d:\curl\curl http://peak.telecommunity.com/dist/ez_setup.py | python

d:\python25\lib\scripts\easy_install virtualenv

.\Scripts\virtualenv.exe pongg --no-site-packages

.\Scripts\activate.bat

.\Scripts\easy_install.exe pastescript

paster create pongg

cd pongg

paster help

python setup.py develop

python

import pongg

dir(pongg)

46. Brett Ritter Mon, 01 Feb 2010 14:25

Very helpful, giving answers to immediate questions I had. thanks. (Love to see source control implemented as well)

steamlined genesis and distribution facilities too in python: coool!

44. Eric Leary Sat, 30 Jan 2010 20:10

Great, crisp, succinct delivery.

I came across this link to your demo while trying to find info on how to use virtualenv to enable the use of more than one python version on a system. ie. Current Ubuntu and Fedora systems come with python 2.6.xx . But I want to experiment with Zope (Zope 3) which seems to like python 2.5 better. As a very new programmer, I am realizing I am probably jacking up libraries that Fedora needs to function properly by installing every web application framework out there willy-nilly. Probably why my former Ubuntu install got so ginchy.

Would you consider demoing the proper way for a new programmer like me to set up a sandbox with virtualenv - and perhaps even how best to tear it back down once one is finished playing with a library/alternative python version. (another example being creating a sandbox to play around with Python 3.)

Once again - Thanks for sharing your skill!

Eric

Very useful, since the online doc on paster is rather complicated and I found it difficult to understand how paster can be used the simple way. Any in-depth discussion on packaging , paster ,etc would be of much interest.

42. Jonathan Fri, 22 Jan 2010 16:46

Great tutorials. Thank you very much!

41. anonymous Tue, 05 Jan 2010 01:39

Really nice effort! I am new to Sphinx and I was glad you outlined each step perfectly well although the fonts and Windows were little small since I have MacBoook 13.3 inch. Kudos for helping fellow geeks.

40. anonymous Thu, 17 Dec 2009 18:46

Wow ... really helpful tips!

39. anonymous Fri, 04 Dec 2009 14:40

Thanks for the video.

I think I needed to understand more about egg packaging before I watched this.

38. anonymous Sat, 14 Nov 2009 02:28

Very nice. Thanks percious. I thought I'd know everything but you have some good ideas there.

37. anonymous Wed, 11 Nov 2009 21:09

This was helpful. I have heard about virtualenv and paster but had never actually used them. This was a nice intro.

36. anonymous Mon, 09 Nov 2009 09:21

Thank you. I was helpful.

35. anonymous Sun, 08 Nov 2009 16:31

Great video. Interesting topic. That was what i was looking for.

Thx Lukas

33. anonymous Sun, 01 Nov 2009 04:32

Nice intro to pastescript. I hadn't realised what it did. Very useful to know.

32. anonymous Fri, 02 Oct 2009 13:26

Very informative. Thank you.

31. anonymous Fri, 18 Sep 2009 13:16

Hokay. Will use virtualenv, won't use paster for a while. Thank you!

30. anonymous Fri, 18 Sep 2009 11:36

And again...

29. anonymous Fri, 18 Sep 2009 11:29

Looking at it again... :)

28. anonymous Wed, 09 Sep 2009 03:55

Excellent serie. Thanks a lot for this.

27. anonymous Mon, 17 Aug 2009 22:41

it was supereb, i was looking for it

26. anonymous Sat, 08 Aug 2009 04:07

I couldn't hear what the author was saying --- I'm using a Macbook, I'm using the Macbook's speakers, and I have the volume up as high as it can go. I'm wondering if it was recorded at a highest level that prevents any more volume increase from my end? Maybe having the 'closed caption' so I could read what the author was saying. I've listened to it twice, trying to pick up the words, but it is just impossible. I can follow the screen, so that's good, but I would have liked to have heard what the author was saying. Not having the ability to increase the volume was frustrating...

25. anonymous Thu, 06 Aug 2009 02:11

Just a simple thanks. It nice seeing somebody doing the stuff

Note, the sound could be a bit louder.

24. anonymous Tue, 04 Aug 2009 06:31

Nice video - currently researching virtualenv, buildout etc.

This taught me alot! Thanks

23. anonymous Fri, 17 Jul 2009 15:37

Thanks Chris. Very useful.

22. anonymous Mon, 13 Jul 2009 07:07

Hi i watched the video , i liked it a lot. But i think most people who are starting to use paster and virtualenv will have existing projects like me which i like to make easy installable for others.

How to make my existing project and dependencies working for others is not clear for me after watching this video. though i have an idea now on how to do it.

Stephan.

21. anonymous Sun, 28 Jun 2009 05:16

Great. Covers a lot of topics in a short time.

20. anonymous Thu, 25 Jun 2009 21:23

Kickass tutorial. Thanks a ton.

19. anonymous Thu, 14 May 2009 14:39

Great !

Seems like I'll have to watch *all* your screencasts...

;-)

18. anonymous Wed, 13 May 2009 12:46

Nice, quick intro to virtualenv. Thanks for including the paster example.

17. anonymous Thu, 23 Apr 2009 12:11

Great video demonstrations!

Quick and easy. I liked the video. Now to try it myself.

15. anonymous Tue, 24 Mar 2009 12:17

Very useful. Thanks

14. anonymous Sun, 23 Nov 2008 15:08

These tutorials are pretty cool. They're perfect for people who already hack around in python, and want to start doing serious development.

How long before someone writes a paster that makes the rest of your tutorials redundant?

13. anonymous Sun, 26 Oct 2008 10:49

Great presentation, thanks. I'm still not totally sure what all paster does, but now that you've given me a concrete example to play around with, I feel like I'm 'over the hump'...

Just wanted to drop a note that I'm using virtualenv for all my projects now after seeing this screencast (comment #4 above). Thanks!

Excellent video, you made virtualenv one of my favorite tools :-).

10. anonymous Sun, 20 Jul 2008 23:12

Nice job - i hadn't "gotten" pastescript before - thought it was only for WSGI stuff.

I use ScreenFlow, which is Mac OS 10.5 only. It is really easy to use.

Hi percious...

What software do you use to make the screencast?

Hi percious. Just to let you know that I've blogged about these two videos:

and the post will go out to the two Planet Pythons. I hope it brings you new visitors.

Review of Using Virtualenv and PasteScript

Awesome tools, i really like the tools you are demoing. This is a great format too. Please bring more of this apps.

Virtualenv... hmmm... I understand what you did, I just expected a more thorough explanation of why to use Virtualenv.

Screencast has good overall pace, volume could be a little louder though.

Greetings.

Very nice. I've been meaning to use virtualenv for some of my projects now. Looks very simple to get it up and running. Thanks!

3. anonymous Wed, 09 Jul 2008 01:24

Review of Using Virtualenv and PasteScript

Virtualenv looks really cool, I looked at old numbers of Python magazine and found it twice...guess I should take the hint and start using it now. :o)

very cool. I learned a lot from that. Fluid demonstration, easy to follow. I really hadn't heard much about virtualenv before but it looks hugely useful. Will become part of my workflow methinks. Great screencast - thanks.

Video published, thanks for contributing to ShowMeDo

Kudos and Thanks for percious