Name: [6237] unpingco
Description: Python for scientific and large-scale computing. ...

Scientific Computing Using SAGE: Introduction [ID:672] (1/4)

in series: Scientific Computing Using SAGE

video tutorial by unpingco, added 04/08

In this overview video for SAGE, we introduce the basics of the notebook browser-based interface and demonstrate the basics of using the interactive environment.

SAGE uses Python for scripting, Python libraries that are referenced include NumPy and matplotlib. Here Python is shown along with 2D plotting and SAGE is run inside Firefox.

You saved me so much time of instalation and trial and error with other packages. Thanks a lot.

Very good.

32. winston ridgeway hardy Wed, 29 Sep 2010 07:54

Thank you.

Great demo of Sage!

30. Ron Adin Thu, 22 Jul 2010 16:31

29. Peter Nau Sun, 18 Jul 2010 22:54

Nice, nice video.

I'm just learning about open source math packages, and this video shows Sage as being perhaps the pinnacle of math packages. Thank you!

Looking into Sage to brush up on my math skills and just found this video. Watching the video is far more interesting and satisfying for me than reading tutorials. In eleven minutes I am able to see how amazing Sage is! I am more motivated than ever! Thank you for the effort you put into this.

interesting

26. anonymous Sat, 12 Dec 2009 09:12

Very well presented.

I'm thinking about moving to sage for scientific computing. At the moment I use, separately rather than through sage, maxima (with wxmaxima), octave and mathematica (rather reluctantly for 3D plots that include perspective projection).

This presentation has helped to convince me to seriously try sage (and python which I am new too as well).

25. anonymous Wed, 09 Dec 2009 08:15

Good introduction. Thanks you!

24. anonymous Mon, 30 Nov 2009 09:30

Great tutorial

23. anonymous Sat, 28 Nov 2009 06:16

Thanks... it definitively convinced me in using SAGE, for my teaching and in my personal experiments.

As I'm growing involved in open-source diffusion -in a very local manner, I mean- I would be very interested in how to make such video tutorials too : what kind of (open-source) software have you used ?

Thanks again !

22. anonymous Sat, 21 Nov 2009 13:18

nice intro video, really trying to switch to sage from matlab, this helps. Thanks, looking forward to the next one

Great Intro... Love to jump in to sage and see how far it cn be used in places matlab is used..

20. anonymous Sun, 08 Nov 2009 06:03

Great video tutorial!

19. anonymous Sat, 03 Oct 2009 02:30

This is very cool tutorial and easy to understand.

Thank you.

18. anonymous Tue, 08 Sep 2009 21:26

I am a novice with mathematical software; this video did an excellent job of giving me an idea what sage can do.

17. anonymous Sun, 09 Aug 2009 11:15

It was quite interesting, but my math is a long time behind me and the presentation assumed a certain level of capability.

16. anonymous Sat, 11 Jul 2009 21:10

Thanks! Nice, brief, tantalizing intro.

15. anonymous Sat, 11 Jul 2009 06:43

I found this to be an excellent introduction to Sage for a busy researcher.

14. anonymous Tue, 16 Jun 2009 02:20

thanks for this , i found it by accident while looking at inkscape

tutorials , (linux outlaws podcast mentioned showmedo)

if this works as well as the tutorial you have presented

i will be very very happy

mathematics freed

13. anonymous Fri, 12 Jun 2009 08:15

I am convinced now, that I should evaluate this math suite. Was a pleasure to follow your demonstrations. I honestly wish, you worked for my company's sales department.

12. anonymous Sun, 24 May 2009 15:24

Didn't even know SAGE was available to do so many math operations in Python I expected to do on my own. Thanks for the heads up!

end

11. anonymous Thu, 30 Apr 2009 09:13

extremely good intro to Sage, very powerful way of getting going with it.

10. anonymous Sat, 18 Apr 2009 15:16

Excellent presentation, sage sounds like fun. I wonder how it differentiates from R.

9. anonymous Tue, 07 Apr 2009 14:51

Super. Thank you.

8. anonymous Tue, 15 Jul 2008 13:33

Very helpful in providing a sense of how Sage works.

muy bueno, gracias

The introduction is super. If I had such a tool 25 years ago at secondary school....

Excellent. Would love to see more. Oh, and go back and complete that Maths degree I started all those years ago. :)

Congratulations on this very well done video! You've managed to give me a good idea of what SAGE is and what it can do.

SAGE might be really useful for me as I often have to work on mathematical and physics problems.

Thank you for this video! Keep'em coming ;-)

This is a great first video - I'd never heard of SAGE before and yet it runs using Python - darn cool.

Do you know about Crunchy? There are videos here on Crunchy, it lets you run Python directly inside a browser in a similar way to SAGE's interface.

Video published, thanks for contributing to ShowMeDo

Your video has been edited. This is an automatic post by ShowMeDo.

Kudos and Thanks for unpingco