Name: [581] steve
Description:

Editing in JOSM [ID:634] (6/7)

in series: OpenStreetMap

video tutorial by steve, added 04/08

How to edit data in JOSM, the Java OpenStreetMap editor

39. Lee Leonard Sat, 04 Sep 2010 12:00

Thanks Steve, this is a good intro for a Potlatch editor, like myself, that wants to learn a more powerful tool

I like the presentation. Although you can find all in the manual it is always good to see somebody do it.

comprehensive!

Just excellent!

That's what I really need it to start editing with Josm. Many thanks

great tutorial

34. Michael Larkin Mon, 29 Mar 2010 10:12

Starting to learn JOSM , downloaded to replay a number of times as I try to figure out the commands for JOSM

which I find difficult to use

regards

ML

Retired Octogenarian

33. John Whitmore Thu, 04 Mar 2010 08:21

Perfect! Just what a whole load of OpenSource projects could use and hopefully it'll inspire other projects. Those few minutes saved me a load of reading.

Thanks a million

32. Michael Larkin Sat, 27 Feb 2010 16:16

31. Kim Allamandola Fri, 22 Jan 2010 05:19

Thanks for your work (and sorry for my English) as for the previous

video.

keep up that good work!

30. Tony McGurk Tue, 12 Jan 2010 04:42

Just working my way through your videos to get see how people covert their traces into useful information. Many thanks!

29. anonymous Sun, 20 Dec 2009 13:33

neat

28. anonymous Sat, 12 Dec 2009 12:44

Useful thanks

27. anonymous Thu, 10 Dec 2009 10:27

Thank you very informative.

26. anonymous Wed, 09 Dec 2009 05:34

Great - thanks for making these.

25. anonymous Sun, 29 Nov 2009 13:08

Jazzy made thank you very much

24. anonymous Sat, 28 Nov 2009 10:32

good josm overview.

23. anonymous Tue, 03 Nov 2009 11:05

this is gold

22. anonymous Sat, 31 Oct 2009 15:05

Very Helpful.

21. anonymous Wed, 28 Oct 2009 03:06

Thanks for your work.I' a beginner and that's all a mess that you help to clarify.

20. anonymous Wed, 16 Sep 2009 04:13

good overview, easy to follow, not too many details - great tutorial, thank you

19. anonymous Fri, 11 Sep 2009 00:51

Excellent! I'd like some discussion on the make-up of ways traces etc. When to join 2 roads, when to keep separate; what to do with a fork etc. Are ways, junctions, land use areas effectively different geometrically or the same.

18. anonymous Thu, 20 Aug 2009 13:05

I thought it was quite good. But the software you used to capture your screen was terrible. The screen was moving around so much and so fast I started to get motion sickness. Besides the motion sickness it was hard to see what you were saying because the screen was moving so much.

As for the content, you did a great job.

17. anonymous Sun, 02 Aug 2009 14:30

Another great video. I've learned more in the last 30 minutes of watching these videos than I have over the last two weeks.

16. anonymous Wed, 17 Jun 2009 04:20

great video again! I'm gonna map my little town soon :)

15. anonymous Sun, 07 Jun 2009 15:01

Great video, but this feedback form interrupting in the middle is annoying.

14. anonymous Thu, 30 Apr 2009 02:24

Extremly useful video! Very good introduction on how to use the different editing tools, some shortcuts etc. THANK YOU!

13. anonymous Sat, 25 Apr 2009 15:47

Your video guide was exactly what I was looking for. Since watching it I have put on my first 2 roads, and am now going to work my way through a load of hiking gpx files to add footpaths. Many thanks

I have really struggled to get started with JOSM. The Wiki is ok, but the 'Getting Started' section does not tell you how to get started. It assumes a certain level of knowledge and experience. That is one of the problems when the instructions are written by very technically competent people, they have forgotten that long ago they also knew nothing. I was not helped by Ubuntu having an out of date version in their Synaptic Package Manager.

Once again thank you for your guide, it is very much appreciated. I was on the verge of quitting after weeks of trying to get to grips with JOSM.

12. anonymous Thu, 09 Apr 2009 05:32

Very fast, but very informational

11. anonymous Sat, 21 Mar 2009 15:10

thanks for making the demos.

the dark blue items are pretty hard to see.

similarly, i had a hard time distinguishing yellow from gray

which showed what layer was being selected.

the practical use of photos was a good idea for inclusion in the demo.

10. anonymous Sun, 22 Feb 2009 12:49

This is just what i needed. Good instructions on how to use JOSM and also good ideas for mapping.

9. anonymous Tue, 20 Jan 2009 00:53

That was great!

8. anonymous Mon, 22 Dec 2008 15:15

Great work! Going to test adding my first road tomorrow.

7. anonymous Mon, 13 Oct 2008 15:02

Could you make a video on setting preferences in JOSM.

Thanks so much for the videos. They really make a difference on deciding whether to use the program or not.

6. anonymous Thu, 25 Sep 2008 13:35

Very nicely done. In a few minutes I was up and running with JOSM.

5. anonymous Tue, 26 Aug 2008 13:39

Nice work, thanks!

Please do more of that!

Thanks for the good work. I sometimes being asked for tutorials for OSM, and now I found a few. More is absolutely appreciated. :-)

(possibly with less panning?) :-)

Thanks for this usefull JOSM tutorial. I think I will spend some time with JOSM. Thats mainly because of these 6 videos ;-)

2. anonymous Fri, 30 May 2008 04:15

Thank you!

Your instruction videos about JOSM were really helpful to get a quick introduction and showed me some things faster than searching through the Wiki manual.

Instead of selecting an empty area you can press "u" to unselect all. This will save some time when you want to add some nodes to an existing way.

Bodo

Video published, thanks for contributing to ShowMeDo

Kudos and Thanks for steve