Name: [581] steve
Description:

JOSM basic introduction [ID:632] (4/7)

in series: OpenStreetMap

video tutorial by steve, added 04/08

A basic introduction to JOSM - the Java OpenStreetMap editor

Very good and explanatory video. Althought the version is quite old and the UI has somewhat change. However I think it clears a lot of things out. For example, I didn't know the extra java argument to assign more memory.

67. Michael Perryman Fri, 08 Oct 2010 08:28

Thanks for the effort that you put in. With my brain damage it is so much easier to learn from a video, than trying to read.

66. Barry Long Thu, 07 Oct 2010 18:53

thanks ... it was a useful "human" video...

65. Dawn Tee Wed, 01 Sep 2010 05:04

Very helpful. I had no idea how to edit data before.

64. Pieter van den Hombergh Mon, 23 Aug 2010 13:59

Very understandable. It helped my working with waypoints.

63. Ralph M. Deal Mon, 09 Aug 2010 11:56

I need to read more to prepare for this sequence.

Thank you Steve, helped me to get started with JOSM

61. alex rowe Thu, 22 Jul 2010 03:12

good vidio for starters like myself.I'm working on the afghanistan and djibouti areas for which I've lots of data from tours with the legion.THANKS AGAIN-Alex

Very useful - thanks

excellent video, very clear audio and visuals. thanks

58. Richard Munden Sun, 23 May 2010 14:58

The most useful information was on starting josm from the command line. As a newbie, I do not have any data to load so startup is a little different than you show.

57. Ingo Wiese Sun, 09 May 2010 22:21

Very helpfull, thank you

Thanks for the videos, really helpful

Hey, Thanks for the video, helped me to get started in a very short amount of time.

great work

keep on

Excellent introduction, thanks. Let's see if I manage to start using JOSM now.

Good Introduction, I already looked into JOSM, but as far as I can tell you talked about all major points briefly.

In the meantime there is a new JOSM version with a slighlty different GUI, but that does not matter that much.

Thank you for this Video - good introduction for the first time having a look at josm!

Good contents, made me seasick the floating window of your screen

49. David Harrison-Jones Sun, 21 Mar 2010 13:43

Great video. I'm looking to get involved and trying to get to grips with yet another set of tools is not always fun. A video is very useful, thanks Steve : )

Very impressive effort, keep up the good work

47. kevin higgins Wed, 10 Mar 2010 15:58

Great introduction

46. David H. Thu, 04 Mar 2010 08:53

yes impressed.

I'm going to have to go through it again for sure once i get some data out of my freerunner

45. Takeo Shibata Sun, 28 Feb 2010 16:58

This is Great Tutorial for the beginner!

44. Adrian Brain Wed, 03 Feb 2010 06:40

These introductory videos are a huge help to a beginner! One tiny niggle - could you make your bigger mouse movements slower; you know where you're going but by the time my eyes have caught up with the cursor, not to mention the slippy bits as well, I don't have enough time for the grey matter to read what you're pointing at before you've moved on.

your beginner video was helpful. Thanks

42. Kim Allamandola Fri, 22 Jan 2010 04:44

Thanks for the video: I'm a new OSM user (thanks my new Android phone)

and I would like to contribute something as I can. So thanks to your

videos I start to use JOSM (I'm on OpenSolaris, JOSM is the most

comfortable OSM editor I found, Merkaator is a bit annoying to compile)

Keep up that good work! (and sorry for my English...)

Very useful - clear explanation, good speaking voice.

Thank you for providing some much needed learning material for JOSM. You went through it a little quickly for me as I am such a newbie when it comes to mapping. Could you slow it down a little bit for those of us new to mapping?

39. Tony McGurk Tue, 12 Jan 2010 04:21

Very useful introduction to JOSM. I have just started to track my local area and found Potlatch easy to use but not so easy to alter.

Many thanks for providing the video "Howto".

38. Patrik Redgård Fri, 08 Jan 2010 09:54

Thanks for your movies. Just getting to know OSM and getting more secure with your help!

37. anonymous Sun, 20 Dec 2009 13:05

well made

36. anonymous Sat, 19 Dec 2009 12:11

Great video; thanks for taking the time to make it - it does really help me understand JOSM.

Thanks Again

Keep Up the Great Work

May God Bless You

35. anonymous Sat, 19 Dec 2009 11:34

Very nice introduction. It would be nice to add an explanation on how to save/upload to OSM.

34. anonymous Sat, 12 Dec 2009 09:39

I like this video. It is for real beginners.

33. anonymous Tue, 10 Nov 2009 14:35

Thanks for this. Was very informative for a true beginner like me. This was my first visit to OpenStreetMap. Sounds interesting - your information is very useful.

32. anonymous Sat, 07 Nov 2009 12:47

Thanks for the video!

Andreas

31. anonymous Thu, 22 Oct 2009 21:09

Very good..

30. anonymous Sun, 18 Oct 2009 03:27

Straight talk - direct & succinct. I am new to mapping software, GPS etc. and am a little confused at the difference between GPS data and OpenStreetMap data (for import) – no doubt, all will be made clear in good time.

Thanks for the effort you have put in

29. anonymous Tue, 06 Oct 2009 15:23

thanks a lot for the introduction of JOSM.

OSM is captivating and very exciting! :)

28. anonymous Fri, 11 Sep 2009 00:28

Very useful - much quicker way to get started than reading the manual..

27. anonymous Tue, 01 Sep 2009 01:00

Very helpful video - great style

26. anonymous Sun, 30 Aug 2009 05:27

I watched it a second time ! :-)

25. anonymous Sun, 30 Aug 2009 05:19

You did it quite nice ! Now I know more about this stuff

24. anonymous Sun, 23 Aug 2009 17:26

Good Tutorial, Bad Macintosh ;)

23. anonymous Tue, 18 Aug 2009 22:47

Listened to you on FLOSS - yes, this is addicting.

I updated the street where I live, now I want to add the major bridge in my area that has been missing from the dataset.

22. anonymous Thu, 06 Aug 2009 23:55

Really helpful intro. Thanks

21. anonymous Tue, 04 Aug 2009 11:31

you have saved me countless hours.......much appreciated.

20. anonymous Sun, 02 Aug 2009 13:58

Good intro. Easy to follow and emulate. Thanks

19. anonymous Wed, 01 Jul 2009 10:29

good tutorial

18. anonymous Tue, 30 Jun 2009 09:38

Great videos. Help to quickly get into the subject.

17. anonymous Sun, 28 Jun 2009 15:52

Good basics for launching JOSM several ways.

16. anonymous Sun, 28 Jun 2009 12:27

good video.

great that you make "mistakes" from time to time and go back to what you meant. It make it moe human-like than a polished tutorial with no errors.

15. anonymous Wed, 17 Jun 2009 03:47

Hey duddie,

I just watched your video on JOSM. I am a french engineering student and i'm starting to work on a project which requires from me to use mapping tools, I didnt know anything about this domain two weeks ago, and thanks to some guys like you I can learn very fast. nice videos, keep rockin man.

Guillaume

14. anonymous Tue, 09 Jun 2009 00:30

Great help, congratulations

13. anonymous Mon, 18 May 2009 03:19

Very helpful explanations!! THANX

12. anonymous Fri, 15 May 2009 06:55

toz

11. anonymous Thu, 07 May 2009 03:21

Very, very useful - many thanks

10. anonymous Thu, 30 Apr 2009 12:43

Good video. What you need to know and no more. Perfect.

9. anonymous Mon, 27 Apr 2009 21:33

Your intro to JOSM was exactly the helping hand I needed to get started. It's a complicated tool and I was feeling quite overwhelmed before I watched the video. Thank-you.

8. anonymous Sat, 25 Apr 2009 16:01

A very useful introduction to JOSM for a new started like me. I wish I had found your guides several weeks ago.

Many thanks.

7. anonymous Mon, 13 Apr 2009 05:42

Nice introductory video!

5. anonymous Mon, 06 Apr 2009 07:09

It would have been easier to follow if the screen didn't slide around so much. Couldn't you record in a smaller window size? The information was okay, but I think it would be MUCH better if you were to script it first: no false starts (like the yellow on tracks) and no side comments "What can I show you now?")

4. anonymous Mon, 16 Mar 2009 04:40

Immensely helpful. Thank you.

3. anonymous Thu, 04 Sep 2008 21:29

Can't get more than the first 11 seconds to play in either seamonkey or IE

Immensely helpful. Thank you.

Video published, thanks for contributing to ShowMeDo

Kudos and Thanks for steve