Name: [771] David Fung
Description: A programmer who enjoys programming. ...

Jython - First Impression [ID:473] (1/1)

in series: Jython - First Impression

video tutorial by David Fung, added 12/07

Give you a first impression on Jython, showing it in action, and how to use the Java Swing class library in Jython.

very good, Jython is not Jyphon

This was really nice..Cn we have more of them.Digging deep into jython

37. Blitz_9100 Mon, 08 Feb 2010 20:40

This shows some more advantages of python over jython in ways of making os based programs

That was great!

35. anonymous Wed, 23 Dec 2009 04:06

Good job, nice presentation. Thank you.

34. anonymous Fri, 20 Nov 2009 19:42

jython looks interesting. good show!

33. anonymous Sat, 10 Oct 2009 00:26

Hi, You did a great job. You are helping many beginners out there to learn new technologies.Your effort is invaluable.

32. anonymous Thu, 03 Sep 2009 09:07

great brief introduction to jython. I find the greatest difficulty in compiling and running multiple jython programs and compiling to a portable jar file. That is where the system often seems weakest.

thanks

Jan

31. anonymous Tue, 25 Aug 2009 17:09

Thanks David,

Very instructional. Still not quite sure why I'd want to use an extra layer, on top of Python, which is already OS independent (apart from being able to use Java modules, for which I am sure for most there are native Python equivalents (though I don't know Java, so I can't really comment on that).

It would be nice to see what can be done in Jython, that can't be done in just Python.

Your video was really good to get the gist of Jython though! Thanks for that!

Jan.

30. anonymous Tue, 23 Jun 2009 07:31

Thanks, good introduction. Looking forward for more.

nicely done. Just catching up on some learning.

This was a very nice video illustrating the power of Java with the help of the very versatile Python language. Thanx

27. anonymous Tue, 19 May 2009 10:22

cool good one!

26. anonymous Thu, 14 May 2009 03:01

Nice start, very impressive and easy to understand!

Thanks a lot.

Now jython is clear to me.

Useful introduction! Thank you!

Useful introduction! Thank you!

Well done and informative. Makes you wonder why everyone doesn't ditch Java coding and use the way easier Python language and the Java JVM.

20. anonymous Wed, 28 Jan 2009 22:24

Well done David!

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the posting. 15 months have passed since the jython first impression, guess it is about time to post another one :) and it would be great if more authors are producing jython videos!

David

Hi David. I know it has been a long time coming but I've got a post about your video into the Jython usergroup now:

It looks like I got filtered twice by sourceforge, I was able to speak to Frank Wierzbicki and he forwarded my original mail (from back in December!) into the group (thanks Frank!).

I hope it'll bring you some more feedback. I note that Jython2.5 is now being tested, if you (or anyone else?) would like to make a demo video, it would be hugely appreciated.

Ian (co-founder)

17. anonymous Thu, 03 Jul 2008 09:40

hi David,

Can you help me about how can I add jdom.jar library into class path ? Because this is missing in the classpath on the jython.bat script. I am getting the following error

ImportError: no module named jdom

Plz help me to out from this. Fast rply will be most appreciable.

thanks,

Anil Soni

Excellent video David. Very easy to understand and was interesting. Please make more.

I'm especially interested in seeing Swing applications or NetBeans Matisse applications using JPython for the logic.

15. anonymous Wed, 02 Apr 2008 06:41

Very usefull for all standards of ppl

14. anonymous Sat, 09 Feb 2008 14:45

Review of Jython - First Impression

yo

I'm a python user at the origins

but I could follow along along with a console on top of IE on this computer... so I could see the same results as your video in time which is cool !

Jonathan

13. anonymous Sat, 26 Jan 2008 05:29

Great vieo. Now I know why I should use python or Jython and not java.

Thank you. Good to see basic things.

11. anonymous Sat, 12 Jan 2008 13:34

Thanks David,

Great video, very simple and clear me as newbee.

E.

Hi David, just a quick comment to say that I've added new tags to your video: Python, Jython, Java. These should help people who are browsing the index.

This video is even more timely with the news that Django is nearly running on Jython now: http://zyasoft.com/pythoneering/2008/01/django-on-jython-minding-gap.html

Hi David. I posted your Jython video to our blog yesterday:

which sends it out to the two Planet Python aggregators. You've had a boost in visitors from the exposure.

Excellent. Please post more.

Review of Jython - First Impression

Like Ian, I have been interested in Jython for some time. I would particularly like to see the gui stuff. Look forward to seeing more videos.

Very good job!

Jerol

5. anonymous Mon, 31 Dec 2007 13:33

Review of Jython - First Impression

Many thanks. Nice start. Hope you make some more with other aspects like JDBC.

Great video David. Being a Java coder by day and a Python coder by night means that Jython has always intrigued me. With the new 2.2 release I might have to start taking a look at it again. So a few more videos like this would be really good!

David - I sent a mail to the Jython-users mail list:

to announce your video.

It is sitting in the moderation queue (I'm not a subscriber to their list), I imagine it'll send a bunch of interested users through once they hear about it.

Review of Jython - First Impression

Yay! Jython! I've long wanted to see Jython in action - thank you for taking the time to do this.

I like the approach of running Jython and Python side-by-side, that's a good way to show the differences.

Showing the viewer how to build a simple Java gui using Swing is very cool - you've created a perfect ShowMeDo video.

David - I'd love to see more on this topic - perhaps you could contrast Swing with the built-in Python gui controls? Or call up a more substantial java library and show it interacting with Python?

Kudos to you,

Video published, thanks for contributing to ShowMeDo

Kudos and Thanks for David