Name: [3253] gasto
Description: C/C++ and python programmer. Some knowledge of graphic design too. Interested in Game Artificial Intelligence and Artificial Life. Currently studying(by myself)too many things to be worth the mention. Happy to contribute to the 'help-without-compensation-asked' community. I hope every one that r ...

Studying skills for programmers. [ID:419] (1/8)

in series: C programming tutorial.

video tutorial by gasto, added 11/07

Series ID: 138 Video ID: 419

Studying skills are not taken into much consideration when it comes to any subject being studied. Ignoring studying skills for any subject is like assuming that a driver may start driving a car just by reading the manual, without knowing the basics of driving skills and essential methods to evolve from a beginner to an expert driver.

'Studying skills for programmers' is the starting tutorial on a series -from bottom to top- on programming with C.

Visit the C Console Programming video series for updates on C programming from me.

Your video has been edited. This is an automatic post by ShowMeDo.

Thanks! It was useful video...

63. ahmed fcis Sat, 09 Oct 2010 03:24

you are amazing

thank you ! though i can't not understand the video complete,i must say it is quite a useful thing. i am a undergraduate from china,and begin to learn C language severl months. i used the <Let us C>for my first book,can you give me some advices. (there may be not a few grammatical errors in the words upon ,for i am a chiniese and english is poor.ha ha!

thank you!

thank you!

60. shreyams Sun, 26 Sep 2010 23:24

its good.. nice strategy and good methods of teaching.. i hope for the best... thank you

It was a good introduction....hope to learn more

these are very nice videos and upload some more videos and simply english language and thank you for this videos...........................!!!

i need this copy

its very nice, surely its going to help me for learning.

thank you.......

Helpful tips. I'm not sure if you should expand it, since an increased scope might confuse the average beginner.

53. joe oettinger Sun, 28 Feb 2010 04:39

Very good! You discuss some important preliminaries which are not often discussed.

I hesitate to give advice on language to someone who obviously has several (natural) languages at his command, but, in English, "advice" isn't changed to a plural by adding an 's'. In this way it's like "information" in that one doesn't say "informations". Of course, Spanish (which I think you speak), does make the useful distinction between singular and plural for advice: consejo, consejos. In English we sometimes use the clumsy phrase: "pieces of advice".

Thanks again for the very thoughtful, helpful tutorial.

Joe

Hey very cool Tutorial!

I can learn C and it has the nice effekt that I can learn English, too.

51. Barry Dalton Sat, 20 Feb 2010 05:53

Thanks so much for the tutorials they are very useful to me so far i really appreciate the effort that you made :)

Thanks again,

Barry

50. Medhat Nasr Mon, 08 Feb 2010 21:49

Very inispiring ideas, a must for right start. Thanks a lot.

49. Rohisuddin Saikh Sun, 10 Jan 2010 16:11

I want learn c language

Very useful tips. Kudos to the author.

47. anonymous Sun, 03 Jan 2010 08:49

i want to learn c language ...........i think this video can help me

46. anonymous Wed, 23 Dec 2009 10:24

gud

It is my honour to serve. And I hope you continue the marvelous world of programming, and become a great programmer. You don't have to go to college to program useful applications. Keep reading articles freely available over the internet, watch video tutorials from ShowMeDo and Youtube. With patience and practice, after 2 years of studying the basics of a programming language you can start writing Graphic User Interface Applications or small websites or small games, depending on what your preferences and interests are. Cheers.

44. anonymous Fri, 11 Dec 2009 11:18

It's great work sir,I am from India,I want to study C,C++,But i have many pro.. I can't go for college,I am working in Cyber Centre By the time i can study , i like to study about programing,this video will be help full to me, Thanks for helping people, God will keep you always happy with good health, Thanks once agine

43. anonymous Mon, 23 Nov 2009 11:41

Thank you for sharing you're knowledge

42. anonymous Thu, 12 Nov 2009 09:13

Nice pointers. I like the idea of covering the walls with post-it papers. :)

Maybe you did. Don't recall you mentioning IRC. Having live chat support is a great help.

40. anonymous Wed, 21 Oct 2009 05:31

thank you!

39. anonymous Wed, 21 Oct 2009 05:30

thank you!

38. anonymous Mon, 12 Oct 2009 10:47

great job!!

37. anonymous Sun, 11 Oct 2009 23:13

I like your videos, these videos saved my reading time and like much video tutorial than reading any books so I love it.. Its very helpful gaining C programing knowledge with very short time. Thank you very much. Please keep uploading more video tutorial... :)

36. anonymous Wed, 07 Oct 2009 08:13

Great advise!!! Thanks

35. anonymous Sun, 04 Oct 2009 01:26

New to the site.i think it's a great start.Though it might be ur nature but i want to say the audio is not too good.

Graet work.

Thanx

34. anonymous Tue, 08 Sep 2009 04:25

i would like to have more of your turorials and download them for studies. it has really helped me alot in my course in school.hope to hear from you soon.

33. anonymous Fri, 21 Aug 2009 14:11

Very good presentation, but he volume was very low, other wise very good.

Thank you.

Useful and interesting to see his way of doing things in regard to this topic.

31. anonymous Tue, 28 Jul 2009 18:25

Good advices, Gabriel

30. anonymous Sat, 25 Jul 2009 20:23

The subjetct and the presentation are great. Keep on!

29. anonymous Fri, 24 Jul 2009 13:28

Good movie, concerning about some interesting points on how do proceed. I just would say that you didn't speak very fluently, you missed the words and that disturbed the comprehension,

28. anonymous Sat, 18 Jul 2009 19:21

i am just starting out with Python

Very good advice.

I like how explain to save money, I constantly think I need the latest and greatest to learn something. Great approach to learning programming. it really gets me ready to learn. thanks

Wow, glad to have experienced people as yourself watching my videos. Proof that my grandparents could be programmers. But they rarely touch a keyboard.

25. anonymous Fri, 03 Jul 2009 05:22

I am 71y old retired IBM 360 programmer.

I use your videos for fun.

24. anonymous Fri, 29 May 2009 13:21

Some good tips!

23. anonymous Fri, 15 May 2009 05:52

excellent job.Thanks for your time and effort.However you need to speak a little bit louder :)

22. anonymous Thu, 07 May 2009 04:34

good tips for beginners

20. anonymous Tue, 14 Apr 2009 08:26

Sir , Your video on "Studying skills for programmers" is an Awesome video. Though I not a newb, but I still ,thoroughly enjoyed your video. Learning any Programming Language is not a daunting task, this You have shown by

1)giving the approach, which is most important for any progammer and

2)giving very small but very powerful and useful points which are not

mentioned in any Programming Language.

This is achieved over years of Arduous work and experience.

18. anonymous Sun, 15 Mar 2009 09:58

the video is useful

17. anonymous Sun, 22 Feb 2009 12:34

Its good to know these basic important points

16. anonymous Wed, 07 Jan 2009 08:12

This is exactly the sort of guidance a novice programmer needs to hear. Most of what you say may seem self-evident, but only in retrospect. The most difficult thing, sometimes, for intelligent people to do is to be humble and patient. Demonstrating that other intelligent, accomplished programmers also have to be humble, patient, and diligent is very helpful.

15. anonymous Tue, 23 Dec 2008 14:00

I'm currently learning c so that that other languages make more since to me. You do an excellent job of breaking it down and making it simple for a n00b! I hope you continue with the series.

The part where you talked about how programmers must always be learning more is crucial.

Thank you for mentioning it.

Excellent intro to self taught programing. This is a outstanding presentation.

Please keep up the good work.

- P

Thanks for the feedback, it is most welcome.

Unfortunately, you'll have to bear my terrible accent, and some glitches, throughout the current videos in this series... you witnessed my first screencast, and I've come a long way since then.

More recent screencasts will hopefully surprise everyone in terms of difference of quality in every aspect.

Cheers.

11. anonymous Thu, 02 Oct 2008 15:53

Very useful tips. Excellent tips. But I had a little difficulty in understanding the accent. It would help if the lecture is reproduced with the voice of someone else who is more fluent in english. I just could'nt grasp some words and had to ignore and go past it. Im worried if I will miss out on the more important tutorial videos in this way.

Agadis, try deleting your browser's cookies. Otherwise try another web browser.

Thank you.

However the video stops abruptly after exported bookmarks are shown. It lasts 7min:27sec. Is that so or is there an error?

Thanks very much for your useful videos

Please some more tutorial on C i am wait for them

7. anonymous Fri, 28 Mar 2008 21:10

After watching this first tutorial I must leave a positive feedback.

Well done. Inspiring.

Hello Jens,

I agree on the length of the video. Yet it is not intended to be viewed in one sole time, but the viewer can segment by him/her self, just remembering where he/she left it the last time.

I don't know if it is convenient to segment it by cutting the video into smaller chunks.

My profile is updated. e-mail me whenever you please.

Hi Gasto,

welcome on showmedo. Your series look very interesting and ambitious.

Some small requests: Can you publish a contact email address at your "my page" on showmedo ? I want to write you something and i think the comment function is the wrong place for it.

Can you upload your excellent (powerpoint?) presentation into the wiki ? I would love to read it off-line.

You may consider breaking this long video into several smaller videos.. my first video was also very long but i noted that most watchers -including myself- have an attention span of less than 4 minutes :-)

greetings from Vienna,

-Horst

Don't worry about your English - it is clear enough. As long as you speak slowly most people can always figure it out - I thought it was fine.

By the way, I notice I get stuck in some moments with my english, as you surely already noticed, it is not my mother tongue, but I left it as is, I wanted to be rude with myself, and not correct it with any video editing tool, I will probably later on.

Sure Ian,

I was thinking that since it is aimed at a complete beginner for programming, just any beginner, including people wanting to learn Python, might benefit from it. A little help from that publicity will definetely work, and I will try and follow as those advises on that link.

Cheers.

Gasto - Welcome to ShowMeDo. This is a nice start to a C series, well done.

I'm a self-taught programmer, many of my friends who are good coders are also self-taught. I started when I was 8 on a Commodore 64, now I'm 31 and I've programmed many languages on many platforms (C/C++/Java/Assembler - Python is my preferred language).

Take a look at my guide to 'marketing' your series so that regular internet users can find your pages:

and of course ask our other authors in the Group what they do for publicity.

Spreading the word to the right users is important - we'll have to work a bit to bring C users to your tutorials (which is a good challenge!).

Kudos and Thanks for gasto

Learning Paths

This series lies on the following learning-paths. Learning-paths are a new initiative at Showmedo, to start structuring our content better. You can find out more here.