Name: [1922] Dai
Description: Hi I'm Dai Just an ordinary guy with an interest in computers who likes making how to videos for others to get the best out of there computers. I ounce did a course on web-design to further my interest in the subject. Got a HNC out of to boot but, lately my interest has turned to doing howto vide ...

Inserting Text [ID:390] (2/42)

in series: Scribus Desktop Publishing

video tutorial by Dai, added 10/07

This Tutorial will show you how to in sert text into Scribus.

Thanks mate - your tutorials save a lot of headache!

77. Hein Moritz Sun, 01 Aug 2010 08:47

Thanks much. I need this kind of help.

76. Shrimati Charan Sat, 31 Jul 2010 19:09

Thanks for the wonderful tutorial.It so much easier to follow a video than to be reading a tutorial. Great work.

thanks!

74. Philip Davies Mon, 26 Jul 2010 07:39

Your tutorials are so helpfull

great work! I like the way you present Scribus! I'm excited what coming next!

the video is awesome...nice job...it helps me a lot...

71. Kiran Geltman Mon, 19 Jul 2010 15:04

Hello and thank you for taking your time in doing these tutorial videos. They are a great help to starters like myself!

Dai,

I haven't quite made it to the 21st century yet. However, thanks to your help and the help of others like you, I just might manage to make my classroom relevant to my students.

Glenn

69. Dan Smith Wed, 09 Jun 2010 07:46

Interesting material. Looking forward to what's next.

merci beaucoup

67. Bill Scott Mon, 24 May 2010 11:05

This is great Dai

Great videos mate.

Very helpful for a rank newbie to Scribus.

Keep up the good work!

Jack

Thanks, Excellent Lesson

Very informative and easy to follow.

Steve check out the scribus wiki http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Main_Page

it has some good stuff on exactly what you are looking for.

Steve check out the scribus wiki http://wiki.scribus.net/index.php/Main_Page

it has some good stuff o eexactly what you are looking for.

Great tutorials Dai! I want ot create a book with photographs and need some info how best to produce a double page spread i.e an image going over two pages. Not only that, I also want to design the cover for the book. How do I determine the dimensions for the spine and margins and bleed for the internal pages. Of course one alternative is to log onto Blurb and use their calculator.

Steve

good and helpfl!!!! thanks a lot!!!

Very informative, if a little slow in pace.

Thanks for all your help!

58. Augustus Thu, 01 Apr 2010 14:08

very good descriptions - I'm french and it's dificult to understand evry thing but I try.

TY

56. Galen White Sun, 14 Mar 2010 06:36

I came across your Scribus video whilst searching for information on how to setup a drop cap style. I've only seen this video on Inserting text, so please forgive me if what I'm looking for is covered in another of your video's. My problem might have something to do with not using "soft return", so may be you cover that in another of your videos (may be defining what a paragraph is might help here).

i don,t no that how to open a desktop publishing plese help me to how to open ,(plese)

54. noonecares Sat, 06 Mar 2010 05:16

Thanks again

Very helpful set of videos to get up and running quickly with Scibus.

Very useful especially to a novice like me

I just wanted to say thanks for your video introductions to Scribus. They are proving incredibly useful for me. Thanks again!

Thanks Dai very helpfull

I have installed SCRIBIUS on my computer for a few months now. tried to use it, but could never make my way around it . Everything seemed awkward.

With just your INTRO and TEXT video's, you have totally unraveled this package into something i can use. Thank you.

48. anonymous Wed, 23 Dec 2009 07:20

Hi Dai

I have just picked up Scribus to create a newsletter and have found your video tutorials very helpful. If I had any suggestion to make then it would be to pick up the pace a little, please take this comment in the spirit in which it was intended and please keep making these videos.

Cheers

Neil

47. anonymous Fri, 11 Dec 2009 04:54

Very useful and well described thanks

46. anonymous Tue, 24 Nov 2009 05:53

thank you!

45. anonymous Fri, 06 Nov 2009 21:53

Hi! I found your programmes to be extremly useful , but you will have to change the version to 1.3.13.5 and what is the difference between a frame, a contour and a bounding box and how do I use them ... also how to make text flow round an irregular frame ,.... how do I make one ? would be grateful for your help....

44. anonymous Sat, 31 Oct 2009 10:29

Again, great. I'll be coming back to your videos a lot for refreshing until I get a chance to use this enough to remember everything. Thx for doing this and making it accessible for people.

43. anonymous Fri, 30 Oct 2009 07:03

Great shit man!

42. anonymous Mon, 26 Oct 2009 03:10

thanks!!!

41. anonymous Mon, 26 Oct 2009 03:10

thanks!!!

40. anonymous Mon, 26 Oct 2009 03:09

thanks!!!

39. anonymous Sat, 24 Oct 2009 14:17

Many thanks - finally arrived at this site having wasted two days as a beginner with Scribus and failing to get "lift off". I would advise other newcomers to avoid attempting to import any OpenOffice formatted text documents. Just save as plain text and do all the formatting in Scribus. Imports just didn't work for me in a combination of Ubuntu and Version 1.3.5. Excellent tutorials and nicely paced.

38. anonymous Mon, 19 Oct 2009 17:14

Thanks!!!!

37. anonymous Mon, 19 Oct 2009 17:13

Thanks!!!!

36. anonymous Sat, 17 Oct 2009 11:07

I think these are the best tutorials I've ever seen online for any program.They're nice and slow, and they show all kinds of options for doing a particular task to really familiarize you with everything, but at the same time they indicate what the most useful features are. Nicely done. Thank you!

35. anonymous Thu, 01 Oct 2009 13:19

Vey useful - very clear- thank you Dai.

34. anonymous Thu, 10 Sep 2009 09:43

Excellentissimo

33. anonymous Wed, 02 Sep 2009 05:59

Thank you for this tutorial, and for the excellent instructions. I'm just now getting familiar with Scribus and so far I like what I see.

Keep up the good work.

Again, Thank you.

32. anonymous Mon, 24 Aug 2009 10:43

new to scribus... seems like it will suit my needs. thanks for the videos!!!!

31. anonymous Fri, 21 Aug 2009 14:48

Very helpful in getting started.

30. anonymous Wed, 12 Aug 2009 16:39

Excellent Lesson 2. Thank you.

29. anonymous Wed, 12 Aug 2009 16:38

Thanks again...on to images..

28. anonymous Thu, 30 Jul 2009 20:57

Thanks a lot for the Scribus tutorial. I'm currently exploring the photography world which is something I'm very passionate about and I'm hoping that maybe someday I'll be able to put out my own magazine. I'm having a blast learning how to use Scribus through your videos. Thanks again and keep up the good work!

27. anonymous Sun, 26 Jul 2009 12:13

Thank you so much. Your work solves the major problem with freeware, the lack of good instructions. Thank goodness there are people who like to create tutorials.

26. anonymous Thu, 09 Jul 2009 03:17

Hi,

I just looked at your lesson video regarding "putting text into Scribus". Looks great to me. THX

25. anonymous Mon, 06 Jul 2009 13:09

24. anonymous Wed, 01 Jul 2009 04:27

ok! go on

23. anonymous Fri, 26 Jun 2009 05:35

It was looking like overview. A lot questions is still not open. For example what field "Language" in menu "properties" mean and where it can be used? It will be nice if you will retell about each button and field one-by-one before close them and make some examples or say them. Also it was slow for me, I feel sleepy litle bit.

22. anonymous Wed, 17 Jun 2009 02:20

Very good thanks!

21. anonymous Sun, 10 May 2009 18:26

I have been working with MS Publisher since 2000, I belive I have found something that I will like as well or better.

Main use is making real estate broshures for my own use.

20. anonymous Sun, 26 Apr 2009 11:20

great video, i learned a lot of things since i am new to scribus

19. anonymous Sun, 26 Apr 2009 03:44

I must say that your video lessons are very good and I enjoy every video. I was planing to start learning a Scribus but because I don't like software "Bible" books I was searching for some video lessons over the internet and my friend "google" pointed me to your work for what I am greatfull to him. I am enjoying your tutorials about Scribus and must say thank you for those beautiful lessons.

18. anonymous Tue, 21 Apr 2009 15:52

great scribus tutorial! thanks a lot!!!

17. anonymous Thu, 16 Apr 2009 13:08

Hi Dai,

Just to say that I love your Scribus tutorials! Thanks to them, I'm starting to grasp this wonderful tool, which I use more and more at work these days rather than a word processor. My collegues are very impressed with the quality of the presentation of the stuff I write with Scribus. Thanks once again!

James Pursey

16. anonymous Wed, 15 Apr 2009 01:25

Nice, thanks again! You make it really to understand.

Austin

15. anonymous Thu, 26 Feb 2009 14:00

Thanks for the tutorials, I was asked to do a newsletter for a community group and want to learn scribus as quickly as possible, thanks to you I can!

-paul

14. anonymous Sun, 04 Jan 2009 07:33

Great. Really helpful.

Interesting!Hope you will make more instructional videos.

12. anonymous Mon, 06 Oct 2008 00:59

Thank you very much Dai. I really appreciate your clear presentation and friendly voice. I was about to give up on Scribus - now I am ready to go back to it confident that I shall be able to use it effectively, thanks to your carefully laid out lessons.

11. anonymous Tue, 26 Aug 2008 19:00

Dai, how do I change the colour of a line??

So far (#2) so good. I'm already familiar with some of the features of Scribus. I was messing with it before I discovered your tutorial. Another advantage that I have is two computers side by side! There are some differences between 1.3.3 and 1.3.5 that require a pause to resolve. I expect that you'll be tying the pieces together in later tutorials.

I'll skip commenting any more until I've finished unless I have something constructive to add.

My goal is a 8-12 page small town newspaper.

9. anonymous Sun, 03 Aug 2008 20:37

Another way to delete the text is to click on the "Clear all text" button or use Ctrl + N; then, save the change by "update text frame and exit" (Ctrl + W" or just "update text frame" (Ctrl + U).

8. anonymous Fri, 25 Jul 2008 13:25

Very, Very informative series I stumbled upon scribus while researching desk top publishing and am I ever glad I did.

Your Tutorials will guide me through and lesson my learning curve.

You are precise and to the point, thank you for all your help. Now maybe I can create that brochure for my woodcarvings that I've been dreaming about. This seems so much more easier than trying to do it in Photoshop, again THANKS.

7. anonymous Fri, 28 Mar 2008 19:33

Hi Dai,

I really enjoy your presentations, they are so clear and precise, thanks for your efforts, they really are great.

6. anonymous Thu, 27 Mar 2008 20:35

Review of Inserting Text

I can finally stop avoiding story editor!

I appreciate your videos, because you speak very slowly, and I understand. I'm italian!

4. anonymous Sat, 26 Jan 2008 13:41

Thanks for the compliment Frank. I Hope you you get your book published.

3. anonymous Mon, 14 Jan 2008 11:43

Review of Inserting Text

Dear Dai, Iam about to start out on my bew career as a hopefully successful bk which I will be submitting to Rosedog Publishing onthe internet, and please believe me, the sound of you rish Welsh accent was entirely appropriate, as the novel is entitled "Old Firm United" which tells the tale of the Scottish professional soccer match played on New Year's morning between Glasgoe Rangers and Glasgow Celtic. How incredibly encouraging it was to have seen this video and also to have heard your gorgeous Welsh accent.

Should the novel actually get published, by hook or by crook you ahall be sent a copy due to your wonderful inspiration. Again, many, many thanks.

Yours, Frank Malone, 5298 Portland Way, Sarasota, Fl34231-5167 (ph)941-922-0126.

I had a bad sound card on my old windows machine it is much better in the recordmydesktop tutorials.

Review of Inserting Text

Thank You Dai, I do appreciate your work very much, may God bless you for your effort and dedication. Keep with the good work. The only suggestion is to improve the sound. I am an old folks. Thank you my friend.

Giacomo