Name: [079] Lucas Holland
Description: Hey, I'm a geek just like you ;-) No, seriously I do have a real life... I enjoy programming, screencasting and spending time with my friends. I maintain a blog together with Marius at: http://www.monroebrothers.org ...

Data Types & Shell Output [ID:401] (4/6)

in series: Introduction to Ruby

video tutorial by Lucas Holland, added 10/07

In this episode I'll introduce you to some of Ruby's datatypes and its methods for creating shell output.

Thank you very much, very helpful for a beginner.

So far I find what you've done decent.

I'm a little worried that I'm going to get lost though, because I use windows Vista. Anyhow, I play a few MMO's and I'm just interested in making crazy little things like that. I don't know exactly what I'll take from the table here, but, I hope it's good.

Oh, and when you're talking, I find that it seems like you're to far from the Mic. You seem extremely quiet quite often.

The video was very informative and clear! Thank you!

Simple and useful!

good job buddy! your video are very very simple and helpful. thanks.

37. anonymous Tue, 05 Jan 2010 11:26

Nice job! i like it

36. anonymous Tue, 24 Nov 2009 19:40

pretty cool!

35. anonymous Sat, 07 Nov 2009 12:33

I enjoyed this quite a lot, it's interesting to see how the objects are manipulated in Ruby. Thanks for taking the time to make these.

34. anonymous Tue, 03 Nov 2009 22:33

Good video, but sound ,at least at my pc is too low.

But thanx anyway

33. anonymous Sun, 01 Nov 2009 02:39

Nice episod!

Only one thing (should have been at episode 3, but...) you should have shown that if you want to start the Command prompt in windows you could also use the "Windows key" + R and type "cmd". It works exactly the same on all windows.

Any way, keep up the good work.

32. anonymous Wed, 21 Oct 2009 15:49

I could barely hear this tutorial. Otherwise, very nice.

31. anonymous Thu, 01 Oct 2009 21:18

great!

30. anonymous Wed, 26 Aug 2009 12:13

Thanks, it was helpful

29. anonymous Sun, 26 Jul 2009 02:36

Thanks for the tut. I really appreciate the effort you are putting in to making tuts. The audio had some issues. I have the vol set to max and could barely hear you. It also felt like the audio was getting a little choppy but not sure since the volume was low. It would be great if you can get that fixed. Otherwise nice tut and thanks again.

Sam.

28. anonymous Fri, 26 Jun 2009 08:43

I liked this video it is short and makes it easy to comprehend. I like it because it does not take long and only covers a couple of subjects.

27. anonymous Thu, 18 Jun 2009 00:04

I think that this was an excellent video

26. anonymous Sun, 07 Jun 2009 00:44

I like all video tutorials. Sometimes the sound quality is not so good or just plain soft. I'm using OS X 10.5.7

25. anonymous Tue, 19 May 2009 10:41

Good Approach for beginners. May be a better integration on slides and live, like opening a parenthesis, would make more easier to follow.

Thank for your dedication.

24. anonymous Sat, 09 May 2009 06:02

Very good! I can’t stop listening to it.

23. anonymous Sun, 05 Apr 2009 10:57

Am a masters student learning Ruby for the first time. This video made my understanding easy about Ruby scripting language, was able to get most of from your video lecture. Keep this site going on for pple like us.

22. anonymous Fri, 27 Mar 2009 14:47

For this video, I was able to figure out that I can use the Interactive Ruby Console in Vista and follow along with the examples you were demonstrating. Perhaps it would be a big help if you point that out to people who are not on the same Mac / Apple platform that you are using.

21. anonymous Mon, 23 Feb 2009 23:45

good vids but,

the volmue is bouncing "some are law to low" all around and the video screen is too big, cant stop or slide back the video when you want to hear something that wasnt clear again

20. anonymous Tue, 20 Jan 2009 00:01

good video

The content was very clear and in an easily-digestible piece. I had some trouble understanding some of your words. I think it was the microphone you were using that didn't pick up on some of the things you said more softly. Thank you very much for making this helpful video which helped me learn more about Ruby!

18. anonymous Tue, 06 Jan 2009 10:19

I'm just starting to learn about Ruby and I found your information was helpful. However, I would suggest that you consider making a couple of structural changes to your video presentation.

The main one is that your video presentation needs organizational headings on each screen that refer to the section you are talking about AND are keyed to an outline that you need to present at the very beginning of the video.

Also, I think your viewers would benefit from sectional transition frames. What I mean by that is that as you transition from a section such as "String" to "Numbers" you present a screen that just has the heading "Numbers" with perhaps a very short subheading. By leaving that up for a few seconds you give your audience a chance to shift gears mentally and get ready for the next lesson. It also acts as a great "bookmark" for those that want to go back and review a section. As they "rewind" they will easily be able to find a particular section because its title is clearly displayed.

17. anonymous Sat, 08 Nov 2008 10:16

Thank for your video, it is very good, very interesting!

Thanks for your excellent work!

16. anonymous Tue, 28 Oct 2008 05:32

The usual screen presentation disease: of course strings are *not* delimited by typographic quotes... For my taste, too much general introduction.

15. anonymous Mon, 04 Aug 2008 02:31

I'm new to programing & I find all of these episodes very useful. I am using learning to program from the prag prog site & between these 2 recourses I am having no problems learning Ruby thank you very much for making this available for new programmers !!!

14. anonymous Tue, 08 Jul 2008 11:19

can hear the video with everything turned up

13. anonymous Thu, 26 Jun 2008 02:29

A little more confidence, please!! you are a really intelligent person - We will be able to understand you better if you don't talk 'staccato' -like. Not quite stuttering but definitely sleep inducing and difficult to follow. There is such a thing as going too slow as well as too fast! If something is difficult for us to understand then I think running it by us at a normal pace and then slowing down would be more effective.

On a technical level, it took a guess from me to realize that 'mate' was an equivalent to vim or nano in Linux.

Also, so far, Ruby seems very similar to Python but you haven't pointed out the differences.

Yeah, great stuff. I would be lost without the efforts of people like yourself. You are really teaching people who can't afford to pay or have other responsibilities which come first.

(Sorry if this offends but the stop-start thing made listening difficult.

You the man.

Clifford McGowan

12. anonymous Thu, 26 Jun 2008 01:57

Review of Data Types & Shell Output

I have poor level english. But I can understand you. Thanks to your work. Also explanation of objects is really good.

11. anonymous Mon, 09 Jun 2008 08:54

Guys this is very helpful thanks.

10. anonymous Wed, 21 May 2008 14:45

Great screencast to show the basics on ruby, I appreciate your effort!!! Thanks.

Thanks for your effort, especially of me , the newbie of Ruby,

But the volume is very low. If you can take care of it next time, it should be perfect.

Lucas, The tutorial was right on. I was just browsing the site and saw the Ruby tutorial. I am using Ruby at work so I thought I would check it out. Nice! Loved it. Volume was at different levels on some of the videos, but defiinitely not a problem. Overall this was worth checking out!!! Thanks so much!!!

6. anonymous Sun, 30 Dec 2007 15:24

The tutorials are great and quite valuable.

However, the sound production could be alot better. I suggest investing in a microphone.

5. anonymous Sun, 25 Nov 2007 11:06

More great stuff despite the poor quality sound. You should record with more level.

Hey,

first of all: thanks for your feedback, I really appreciate it.

Regarding the keystrokes: I wasn't really aware of that issue but I'll definitely try and see what I can do.

Thanks again for your comment.

Lucas

3. anonymous Tue, 30 Oct 2007 14:48

Congratulations, only one thing, i usually use headphones and the keystrokes sounds very loud.

Keep doing this tutorials.

Best Regards.

hey lucas, great series.

looking forward to seeing more.

well done for beginners, how you describe object-oriented programming etc.

keep doin it!

super gemacht :)

hey lucas,

nice work.. the whole serie is pretty cool, really looking forward to seeing more.

its well done for beginners, how you explain the whole object-oriented stuff etc.

keep doin it