Name: [079] Lucas Holland
Description: Hey, I'm a geek just like you ;-) No, seriously I do have a real life... I enjoy programming, screencasting and spending time with my friends. I maintain a blog together with Marius at: http://www.monroebrothers.org ...

What is Ruby? [ID:380] (1/6)

in series: Introduction to Ruby

video tutorial by Lucas Holland, added 09/07

In this episode, we take a look at what Ruby is and explore some core concepts behind it.

Link(s): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object-oriented_programming

nice introduction, i was looking for this thank you for taking this initiative.

43. Mridul Pentapalli Thu, 20 May 2010 15:53

Please don't read the examples verbatim... and try to keep the examples to a max. of 3. For example: Everything about you is an object, for eg. <lots of objects>. I also did not get feel that you have rehearsed the script (or that you have a script!).

But otherwise, a fine job. I will continue listening to the rest of the lectures.

Excellent !!!

Great start for me. Looking to convert my skills to develop business application / s around construction industry. Am looking to go away from Coldfusion

Many thanks for the great intro.

Very interesting, I'm a java programmer that want to learn ruby

good videos

38. shaafici Thu, 28 Jan 2010 23:45

i am very very love learning gems

37. anonymous Sat, 19 Dec 2009 13:45

Nice video. Thanks. I visited your site.

36. anonymous Wed, 11 Nov 2009 17:09

havent seen much for sure but a great start for some folk like me to have a recently risen interest to ruby

please go on

35. anonymous Tue, 03 Nov 2009 20:05

Good video.

Good aproach on what is OOP.

Thanx

34. anonymous Thu, 29 Oct 2009 08:00

Excellent. Clear English acsent, good explanations. :-)

33. anonymous Wed, 14 Oct 2009 13:56

thank you for the info!

32. anonymous Sun, 04 Oct 2009 14:03

Its very good tutorial....beginners must see this tutorials.....

31. anonymous Sun, 04 Oct 2009 07:22

My god, You're the best!

Free video tutorials for learning programming :D

and for total beginners too :D

Thanks So Much!

30. anonymous Sun, 27 Sep 2009 10:41

very good looking presentation! I suggest trim 10 seconds from the end of the video to take off the mutted content.

Congratulations for your video!!

Thank you - exactly where I needed to start at.

28. anonymous Sat, 15 Aug 2009 15:02

Easy and straight forward.

27. anonymous Tue, 04 Aug 2009 21:15

Well, thank's for the video. I'm brazilian and this is the first time that i have a class about programing in the computer and it was very interesting. I hope watch all these videos and go pro. Thank's again!

this video, is great! i dont speak english well, but i can understand everything that you teach. i'm brazilian, and i'll be back, see your videos and yout tips. thanks!

25. anonymous Mon, 08 Jun 2009 18:01

great video

24. anonymous Fri, 22 May 2009 08:42

It'is oK ....vary simple ...

23. anonymous Thu, 21 May 2009 04:07

Im really pleased with the tutorials videos

22. anonymous Sat, 09 May 2009 05:08

Congratulations, short and concise presentation with good voice

21. anonymous Wed, 06 May 2009 12:52

I need to watch more videos

19. anonymous Thu, 16 Apr 2009 11:21

Great, very useful and presented in a very simple and good way, keep doing the good job, thanks

this is very useful in learning ruby am ver much thank ful to u

17. anonymous Fri, 27 Mar 2009 13:50

I like the first video. I have the latest version of Ruby installed. I am looking forward to more video lessons. Thank you.

Concepts best delivered in small, cumulative chunks, as done here. Good intro.

15. anonymous Fri, 09 Jan 2009 22:00

hi

extii5v0kn30s6sa

good luck

14. anonymous Tue, 28 Oct 2008 04:59

Review of What is Ruby?

A nice introduction to interpreted languages (not exclusively the *Ruby* way; and an important aspect is missing: an interpreted program can, if done properly, run on every platform which has an interpreter) and basic OOP, but not much about Ruby (except "everything is an object") -- not even how it looks like. Maybe there is more Ruby in the further videos?

13. anonymous Tue, 21 Oct 2008 15:28

A very clear explanation of OOP that I found very helpful.

I would like you to touch on the differences between procedural programming and object oriented programming.

I really didn't grasp the concept of "object oriented" until a friend of mine showed me how event loops worked.

Review of What is Ruby?

Thank You! I'm a complete newbie. So I needed the very basic 4 stars

Okay, that's a lot of questions... I'll try to address them one by one:

1. What Ruby does well:

Ruby is a very, very expressive language. It's easy to learn and easy to use. It's got a lot of 3rd party libraries available for it. You can be really productive with Ruby. Ruby on Rails (a web development framework) uses Ruby.

2. What it sucks at:

It's pretty slow, if you compare it to other languages.

3. *Can* you compile it?

I don't think so, there are packages out there however that bundle the interpreter with Ruby and create an .exe file (I'm not 100% sure on this one so I might be wrong)

4. What is it designed for?

It's designed for day-to-day programming. Scripting, GUI apps whatever. You can pretty much do anything with Ruby you can do with Python. It's especially strong on the web due to Ruby on Rails.

5. How easy is it to get started with?

VERY easy.

6. How much "overhead" code do you have to write before you can get to your actual program?

None.

7. How clear/concise is the documenation?

It's okay. There are some good books out there (the "PickAxe" book for instance).

8. I don' think a graphics api is included. You'd probably want to get RMagick or something like that.

9. Does it work?

9. anonymous Thu, 08 May 2008 03:18

I'm trying to decide which programming language to get. What are some things Ruby does well? What does it suck at? *Can* you compile it, or must you distribute your programs with the interpreter? Is it designed for stand alone programs, or is it more for doing things over the web, or something else?

How easy is it to get started with? How much "overhead" code do you have to write before you can get to your actual program? How clear/concise is the documentation?

What about graphics? Do you have to download something extra to do graphics, or is it built in?

And last but not least - does Ruby work, or do you have to fight with it just to get it/your programs to run?

johnfo, I'm very sorry to hear that you didn't like my video. Judging from your comment, you're not a novice to programming. This series is, however, targeted at people who have never programmed before or who have done very little programming. How can a beginner understand an example without knowing anything about programming or the principles of programming? The goal of the video series is to slowly introduce newcomers to Ruby.

Also, this video is not meant to be an introduction to object-oriented programming although it does explain some of the basics.

I don't know which examples you're specifically referring to (please enlighten me!) but most of the stuff shown in the video clearly covers Ruby's object-oriented nature.

I don't really know anything about you except that you seem to be an intermediate programmer. Seeing as this video is not targeted at programmers, I'm not surprised at all that you got nothing out of the video.

You shouldn't really need a "What is Ruby?" video if you're a programmer...

To be honest I was underwhelmed. I thought something called "What is Ruby" would at least show an example. I'm not clear the author knows the differences between Object-based and Object-orientated programming - the examples were more the former than the later. Not clear this said anything particularly useful.

6. anonymous Fri, 12 Oct 2007 19:01

Excellent video, looks like a very interesting language.

5. anonymous Wed, 10 Oct 2007 23:38

hai

i am gunabalan

from India,Chennai

i listen to your tutorial, its really good

any other presentation like this

show me the url

very nice presentation ! looking forward for the next!

3. anonymous Thu, 27 Sep 2007 22:29

This is an awesome video. It is especially sweet for beginners to Ruby and to programming. Great job Lucas!

2. anonymous Fri, 21 Sep 2007 13:10

Very well done!

Waiting for the next videos!

Nice into to what ruby is and how it is used. look forward to seeing the other vids.

Kudos and Thanks for Lucas