Name: [1922] Dai
Description: Hi I'm Dai Just an ordinary guy with an interest in computers who likes making how to videos for others to get the best out of there computers. I ounce did a course on web-design to further my interest in the subject. Got a HNC out of to boot but, lately my interest has turned to doing howto vide ...

Add a List Box [ID:338] (6/15)

in series: OpenOffice Base

video tutorial by Dai, added 08/07

Adding a list box to the form. The database for this tutorial can be found in the learners forum: http://groups.google.com/group/showmedo-learners

96. Ron Arredondo Sat, 16 Oct 2010 18:51

Okay, I'm sorry but this is not clear on how he got the list of types. Also, when I do the same steps to create a list box, when he links the field he get a drop down icon... I don't. I went over the steps to see if I missed anything. Something is missing in this tutorial.

95. mjtresearch@gmail.com Mon, 11 Oct 2010 17:50

94. Joe Sylvester Sat, 09 Oct 2010 04:19

This viedo helped me with list box creation. Thanks.

Nice Simple easy to follow instructions

92. licuriciu Sat, 11 Sep 2010 02:22

helpfull

O men! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

90. Donal O Hora Fri, 20 Aug 2010 10:28

Thanks you pity I didn't discover it sooner would be a day ahead on my project

many thanks

89. Louis Guenette Wed, 04 Aug 2010 21:01

Great job Dai,

Quite impressive for an 'ordinary guy'. I'm just at #6 but its a great way to introduce yourself quickly to a software. I like the fact that you've broken down every video in small bits. Maybe you should add an advanced version of each of the topic.

88. mike jones Tue, 03 Aug 2010 20:39

after the drop down box is it possible to auto magical fill other fields. for example id like to create an invoice form that includes information from a contact table, inventory table. I'd like to use a drop down to select the customers name and have ooBase auto fill the address, phone number, etc.. any help would be greatly appreciated

Went a little fast, will have to watch it again.

Great video, very helpful.

You have helped a lot, there does not seem to be a lot of easy info on the net re Base.

I'm having some difficulty formatting in reports i.e. making the numbers into currency I have been able to turn the numbers into $ currency but not £. Here's hoping you could make another Movie about Functions(especially currency in Base.

Thanks again David

84. John Boyd Tue, 20 Jul 2010 20:21

Thank you very much ..... you have saved me many hours of googling!!

83. Ellen Van Fleet Mon, 19 Jul 2010 12:03

REally appreciate your doing this. I will be importing data from a spreadsheet, so I have questions you don't address, but it is helpful to know how to set up these parts of the database.

He is saying how to do things...but not defining what the things are he's doing... It's hard to comment clearly as I do not understand the larger picture yet. as such, had this comment box not shown up, I would reserve my judgment until I see more.

Also - I did not see how to download the sample database from googlegroups. I could see it, but clicking gave a screen of garble. I'll try again with Opera 10.06 later - am using firefox 3.6.6 on Ubuntu 10.04 currently.

Excellent! After fruitlessly reading 3 blogs and watching 2 vids, this one did the trick. Very well done. Thanks!

80. Fred Corn Wed, 23 Jun 2010 19:28

very informative, it makes things easy for the novice, like myself.

first time viewing any of your visual tutorials and the example for creating a list box was great!

78. jose oscar lotero Wed, 09 Jun 2010 08:19

Excelent

Thanks for the video. I found out exactly what I want to know in the least amount of time.

New to Open Office. Thanks!

Thanks, Was a spot on answer to my question!

Excellent. I'd like to see a non-wizard tutorial

73. Karolina Fri, 21 May 2010 03:57

Very practical and useful tutorial about Open Office Base. Thanks!

72. JohnHarrison Thu, 13 May 2010 14:08

First time viewing your videos - I'll be back for more - very useful, thanks

71. jimmy Dorrell Mon, 10 May 2010 13:28

Excellent stuff - really helpful to get me through the basics

70. Christine Woodside Mon, 03 May 2010 00:31

Thanks so much had spent hours mucking around trying to get list box done.

Very helpfull! Thanks a lot

68. Roger Haynes Mon, 05 Apr 2010 05:37

Very good tutorial. keep up the good work!

From France Thanks

Used the information straightaway in a little project I'm doing. Thank you very much!

Thanks so much.

Some large gaps in the videos such as inputting a list box into the form (where did you have your 'health/family/etc' info in your 'type' list box?)

Thanks a lot for your videos :o) They're really easy to understand and straight to the point. I found them really useful :o)

61. James Luscher Sat, 23 Jan 2010 11:43

It seems you are replacing 'type' with a selection from the other table? I'll have to try this. Right now I can't seem to go from 'design Form' to 'use' form - actually enter data into it and create records... must have missed something... :-(

Thanks for the help.

very informative and clear

Especially useful for newbs (like me). I'll be back for more!

58. anonymous Wed, 06 Jan 2010 15:21

This is great. You are doing a great job. I shall study more of this. It is appreciated

57. anonymous Thu, 31 Dec 2009 19:24

Hi Dai, your tuts are great. I work in Employment and have referred people to your website. Keep up the good work. If you are ever in California drop me a note.

56. anonymous Mon, 07 Dec 2009 22:55

Very good tutorials! There's not much video on the use of base. I think yours are the best! I just hope that you add more detailed descriptions on the data types.

55. anonymous Thu, 12 Nov 2009 18:24

Thank you for teach. But I want see "how to listbox on scalc". Thank you Kornsak

54. anonymous Tue, 03 Nov 2009 03:38

it works well

53. anonymous Mon, 02 Nov 2009 02:43

I am happy with this video. The English could have been a bit clearer. Professional touch. I found the information I was looking. Thank you.

52. anonymous Mon, 26 Oct 2009 06:47

Comments fine, good videos. Had to watch the last one twice on list box to understand it better.

Regards

Pierre

51. anonymous Sun, 25 Oct 2009 19:01

I can't be specific because I don't know, but it seemed there was a lot more to be said about the box like where did that list come from "Heath" "Family" etc? what if there were more than one? can you make it allow 2 or 3 answers?

50. anonymous Tue, 13 Oct 2009 14:48

Brilliant videos, very helpful. Thank you so so much!!

49. anonymous Tue, 29 Sep 2009 04:21

For the totally uninformed this is a gem!

48. anonymous Sat, 26 Sep 2009 20:00

cool

47. anonymous Wed, 09 Sep 2009 08:21

Thanks for the walk through. It was helpful.

46. anonymous Sun, 16 Aug 2009 20:34

Really great video! i've been trying to get this thing to work for the last 2 days!

i've got 3 tables, DateOfVisit:IdPrimaryKey, Autoincrease; Streets:IdPrimaryKey, Autoincrese, StreetNames and Visits:PrimaryKey, Autoincrease, other fields, FKStreets, FKDateOfVisit, both Integers.

The DateOfVisit is related to Visits by DateofVisit.PK and Streets is also related to Visits by Streets.PK

On the form, when i try to use the wonderful Wizard, as in your video, i only get one table to choose from in the first Step, that of Streets. i can choose the field Streets in the second Step, but in the third Step all i can choose from are... in the left-hand pane, the DateOfVisit fields! and in the right-hand pane, the Streets fields.

i wonder what's going on.

Have a great evening and keep up the great work! :)

45. anonymous Sun, 16 Aug 2009 03:46

That's what I wanted to do - exactly! :)

44. anonymous Mon, 10 Aug 2009 07:15

You've got a great tip, but there's just one thing. Using that technique I was unable to build a compound list item. I have an address table with Building Number in one field and Street Name in another. So to get around that limit I created a view with the primary key and a concatonated text field. Hope that helps somebody.

43. anonymous Sun, 09 Aug 2009 00:42

my type box does not show health etc, where does this come from, other than that so far so good

42. anonymous Mon, 13 Jul 2009 23:41

Should be more sites like this for open office

41. anonymous Thu, 02 Jul 2009 14:22

useful, bridges the gap between forums amd very basic help files

Great!! I did not encounter such powerful techniques that was explained in detailed as compared to some database program. It will help me a lot. I'm so grateful for your efforts.

39. anonymous Fri, 12 Jun 2009 13:34

Great job!

38. anonymous Thu, 04 Jun 2009 14:41

thanks clear and direct.

37. anonymous Mon, 01 Jun 2009 16:16

Good.clear tutorilal

36. anonymous Thu, 28 May 2009 18:39

This is great help to get startared...

35. anonymous Mon, 25 May 2009 19:38

This is a great site for getting up to speed with open office

34. anonymous Sun, 10 May 2009 04:45

Thanks again; I would never have worked that out from the help menu!

H Kilgallen

33. anonymous Sun, 03 May 2009 17:17

Thank you I love it when I can watch you doing it. Much easier than reading.

32. anonymous Fri, 01 May 2009 11:11

Gjorde det alleredeee.

31. anonymous Fri, 01 May 2009 11:11

Gjorde det alleredeee.

30. anonymous Fri, 01 May 2009 11:09

Har ikke set noget endnu.

29. anonymous Mon, 27 Apr 2009 09:09

Merci beaucoup.

Many thanks from Auvergne (France).

Your videos are a great help for me to learn about OpenOffice and Base application...

27. anonymous Tue, 14 Apr 2009 06:24

wonderful

26. anonymous Tue, 14 Apr 2009 04:55

great job

Dai: Thank you for posting this clip.

This video saved me from wasting more time trying to understand how to use List Boxes in OO.

This alone was worth my investment in the ShowMeDo Club. Cheers.

23. anonymous Fri, 27 Mar 2009 08:54

Good video, going at a good speed for beginners. Thanks!

22. anonymous Tue, 24 Mar 2009 08:52

was called away by urgent phone call after starting to watch. So can't comment yet, will do it after watching again

21. anonymous Tue, 24 Mar 2009 03:52

Hanrey here,. Great tutorials. I only joined to be able to leave a comment. Keep going. Thanks for sharing your skills and your time.

20. anonymous Mon, 23 Mar 2009 17:03

good tutorial, i need more help with openoffice base

18. anonymous Mon, 16 Mar 2009 20:18

So when forming a listbox using type/ID relationships, the typename is pre-determined? How would one, say edit or add to the list, and if someone were to create an inventory style database, how would a whole new list of types be created?

Great tutorial, I guess I am looking for something a little deeper involving table relationships.

17. anonymous Tue, 27 Jan 2009 17:50

Радует, что блог постоянно развивается. Такие посты только прибавляют вам популярности.

16. anonymous Mon, 12 Jan 2009 21:22

Thank you. It help me a lot.

The videos are excellent but why must I be forced to make a comment on them continuously before I can see the next, very disconcerting!!!

14. anonymous Fri, 26 Dec 2008 14:33

Очуметь просто! Уже все, блин, всё знают, кроме меня :)

13. anonymous Sun, 21 Dec 2008 19:46

My list box didn't have the categories in it (HEALTH, etc.). Maybe I missed a step somewhere?

12. anonymous Sat, 15 Nov 2008 03:21

У меня скоро в закладках место закончится, но я буду рад добавлять с вашего блога и дальше ссылки на интересные темы!

11. anonymous Wed, 12 Nov 2008 16:29

jjjuc5cmrirdtxba

10. anonymous Sun, 17 Aug 2008 08:04

Абсолютно бесплатная система управления домеными именам Лёгкий в использовании дружественный интерфейс. Удобное управление записями для многочисленных доменных имён. Настройка Gmail от Google Apps на Вашем домене в один клик. Простая

настройка переадресации домена. Онлайн утилиты Whois, DNS lookup, Ip lookup, Ping

I like these tuts a lot...

Your video has been edited. This is an automatic post by ShowMeDo.

7. anonymous Thu, 08 May 2008 16:09

IInteresting but as others have said where does the listbox info come from -I'm a bit stuck now. Thanks for the intro though!

6. anonymous Thu, 17 Apr 2008 09:16

I really like the tutorials. I appreciate all the work you've done to help people out.

I have one question.

On tutorial #6 for OoBase (Adding a List Box) I can't figure out how your listbox is populated with data. I successfully followed the first 5 tutorials according to your directions. Then I created the listbox according to your directions in tutorial #6. In the video, I see that your listbox automatically has data that we never entered in any of the first 5 tutorials. Where does that data come from and how does one edit it?

5. anonymous Mon, 24 Mar 2008 09:10

HI IN ADDING A LIST BOX YOU TEST THAT THE LIST BOX WORKS. IT SHOWS HEALTH AND OTHER CHOICES BUT AS WE HAVE NOT PUT ANY TYPES IN THE DB THAT IS NOT POSSIBLE

4. anonymous Tue, 18 Mar 2008 13:11

(I think you meant "background ... R,G,B" rather than "default background ... hue, saturation, brightness"). Otherwise thanks :-)

3. anonymous Mon, 21 Jan 2008 17:52

Where did the list come from on the List box instructions health thru other. they are not listed on the tables. thanks for the videos

2. anonymous Sun, 09 Dec 2007 13:48

Sometimes it is just the little things that frustrate... as example, if you don't get the order right on your fields it is tough to redo. Thanks for the tips... I loved this tutorial.

Hi. This is Dan, from Spain. Great tutorials. I only joined to be able to leave a comment. Keep going. Thanks for sharing your skills and your time.

Kudos and Thanks for Dai