Name: [1922] Dai
Description: Hi I'm Dai Just an ordinary guy with an interest in computers who likes making how to videos for others to get the best out of there computers. I ounce did a course on web-design to further my interest in the subject. Got a HNC out of to boot but, lately my interest has turned to doing howto vide ...

Make Data Entry Easy [ID:337] (5/15)

in series: OpenOffice Base

video tutorial by Dai, added 08/07

Modifying a form to enter data

• Video plays: 31957 (since July 30th)

84. james currie Sat, 16 Oct 2010 05:24

Very useful. Said just the right amount with no time wasting. Very pleasant voice. I will listen to all your vids on Base.

There is a little false step I would like to bring your attention to: in the video #5 ['make data entry easy'] it is shown in the 'properties dialog box' of the first example ['START DATE'] that the option 'read only' is left set to 'yes' [although that is not said out loud!]; in the other examples, the 'read only' option is neither changed nor mentioned; the problem is that I copied those settings [including the 'read only=yes'] and could not make the calendar to appear...! of course, it was set to be 'read only'; after I changed that option to 'no' the calendar appeared.

So, thank you, very much, for sharing your knowledge with us, but it might be better to address the issue I mentioned above to save some people [that think as I do, anyway] the trouble.

Hi -- I'm going to watch the rest of this series from the beginning. This looks like /exactly/ what I need to learn how to do for my small business! Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge. --Leigh

81. licuriciu Sat, 11 Sep 2010 02:15

good to know

80. Robert E. Stacey Sun, 15 Aug 2010 14:57

Your videos on open office database are a big help for me. I have found information on your videos that I have not found anywhere else. I have found very little information for open office database.

Thank you for the videos.

79. Don Wolfe Sat, 14 Aug 2010 20:08

I will probably watch it again, but it very interesting. I tried to learn on my own without much luck. Thanks

78. srinivas k Thu, 12 Aug 2010 13:09

it's very good and more help full

77. Julie Lolohea Sat, 07 Aug 2010 10:33

Thanks for these videos! I am a complete novice, but I desperately needed help to create a library database for my classroom. Your video was the first easy, yet informative tutorial I have found. Thankyou!

Excellent work.

75. Jan Birk Thu, 29 Jul 2010 08:29

It is very good :-)

awesome :) keep rocking :) was very useful . .

BTW , I have a doubt . . Can we run this form independantly like what we do in Visual Basic as an EXE or some independant file??

awesome :) keep rocking :) was very useful . .

72. rick hoffer Sat, 12 Jun 2010 15:31

nicely done. Answered a question I'd been looking for an answer to for a couple days.

Could explain what 'repeat' does....

very usful to me thanks

Excellent but CTRL+ mouse click on label or field is quicker than Edit Group

69. Ninan Joseph Sat, 22 May 2010 23:01

Very useful info

Hi Dai

I like your OOo-tutorial. I'am searching a way to add PDFs to my Database. That needs a more advanced control alement than for data and time. Do you have a tutorial how to masters this?

Kind regards,

Lukas

Awesome :-)

66. peter shaw Thu, 29 Apr 2010 11:06

open office is very difficult, but these tutorials are very good. There is nothing better than "learning by examples".

I think you do an excellent tutorial. Thanks for the info.

Your approach is very good. I like that you move slowly and point to everything you are talking about with the cursor. I've found the database series very helpful.

#5 is very useful. Shows creation of two kinds of controls and switching in and out of design mode. Not clear what "repeat" does. Shows that OODB is somewhat illogical in that you have to set it to edit group when one wants to edit only one element of a group.

Very good. But the pace is a bit slow, u could go a little faster, for those with background with similar tools (MS Access). Overall, you're doing a great job!

Thanks. I'll keeping watching others from the same series, and I'm going to Read The Fine Manual.

I thought it was very interesting, but it was just a little to fast for me. I even wrote down the main things I should now, too.

Very nice little tutorial.

I was actually looking for something explaining me how to make more than one subform, but still good work!

Thank you so much. I couldn't find this type of clear info anywhere else!!

Thank you. Thank you. You can send me links to your stuff anytime.

57. Pat Bailey Fri, 05 Feb 2010 11:53

The videos have been very helpful in getting started with OpenOffice. I like the way each gets right into the specific task and working examples.

55. Dotan Cohen Thu, 07 Jan 2010 08:30

The video may or may not be informative, I could not get through it. The first minute seemed like 10 seconds of information, and 50 seconds of "uh, um". It is obvious how much effort and good intention was put into this video, but it was frustrating to watch. I suggest planning on what you want to say before making the video, and speaking clearly (NOT slowly).

I hope that you understand that my criticism is constructive, and do not get offended.

54. anonymous Sun, 13 Dec 2009 13:30

Thanks a lot Dai. These series of video was really useful and helpful for someone like me withou any previous experience . You did a great job. please keep going.

53. anonymous Fri, 04 Dec 2009 21:33

This is the first video that I have watched. It is excellent. Just what I was looling for. Thank you for sharing your knowledge with everyone.

52. anonymous Thu, 03 Dec 2009 09:38

Dai:

First of all I enjoy listening to you speak. My Father came from Wales and had an accent similar to yours.

I had experience many years ago with MS Access so I knew what I wanted to do but the documentation on Base is pretty sketchy. Your how-to video was invaluable in getting me started.

Many thanks,

Michael

51. anonymous Sat, 14 Nov 2009 05:00

Many thanks for your great job.

50. anonymous Tue, 10 Nov 2009 22:45

Good show!!!

49. anonymous Tue, 03 Nov 2009 03:52

very helpful

48. anonymous Tue, 27 Oct 2009 19:12

It's nice man. I'd like it if they were all mashed together rather than in 4 minute segments. All in all very useful for someone looking to learn the DB quickly.

David McKenna

Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

47. anonymous Sun, 25 Oct 2009 18:52

What is the Repeat choice in the controls box?

46. anonymous Wed, 21 Oct 2009 15:27

Your videos are outstanding! Thank you very much. I'm a web developer and I've been working with mySQL databases and web interfaces for almost a decade, but I wanted to setup a simple way to organize and keep track of my websites and other business data locally without having to write a full-fledged web application or resort to VB, Delphi, .Net, etc.

So, I remembered that OpenOffice has a database and integrated office suite, so I figured I would give it a try. I plan to use mySQL db, so all of the data that I enter into Base via OpenOffice will be available to my local php/mysql web server if I want to, say, ping my websites and update the database with which ones are up or down or need to be renewed, etc.

Anyway, I love your videos. There are a lot of OpenOffice videos out there, but they don't go into much depth. Yours are great and it's exactly the information I was looking for. Thanks again!

Steve M.

California

44. anonymous Thu, 15 Oct 2009 14:18

Very helpful.

43. anonymous Sun, 11 Oct 2009 10:39

Thanks! This is awesome. It's the simple and straightforward explination that make your videos so valuable. It covers the small details in minutes that easily take hours if one tries to figure them out by oneself

Great job!

42. anonymous Sun, 11 Oct 2009 10:39

Great job!

41. anonymous Sun, 04 Oct 2009 09:39

This is helping alot, I downloaded the openoffice but got no instructions on how to use the programs.

40. anonymous Mon, 28 Sep 2009 13:13

i am still trying to find examples (ie: java or c++) of how to access (update, insert and query) data into OO base. in particular i am interested in adding and retrieving of binary data; such as .jpg, .tiff, .mpg and .wmz files. the binary data will also have other character columns, some of which will be keys.

39. anonymous Mon, 21 Sep 2009 13:09

I am surprised, this video learned me a lot where i am looking for for months. More of this & I will leave ms-access...once I can write some kind of vba in this program

38. anonymous Sun, 13 Sep 2009 12:19

Your videos are great - you cover the small details that trip us up for hours.

You wouldn't have video on data entry forms with subforms and queries would you?

You have been a great help so far. Thanks.

37. anonymous Wed, 26 Aug 2009 22:54

i'm still trying to get this to work...

i've created two tables: Dates and Visits

Dates

IDDates, Primary, Integer, Autoincrement

Dates, DateType

Visits

IDVisits, Primary, Integer, Autoincrement

Street, Text

FKDate, Integer, Input not Required

My questions are these:

Are these sufficient fields? If so, how should i Relate them in the Relationships window so that when i input a new date in the Dates Table the corresponding Foreign Key in the Visits Table will automatically receive a new value?

i've tried this out though a form but the FKDate field doesn't always receive a new value.

Have a great afternoon! Smile

36. anonymous Wed, 26 Aug 2009 10:11

good work and very informative. pity i didnt find what i was looking for exactly.

requires ti be more popular, more variety of videos on any topic

thanks

35. anonymous Tue, 25 Aug 2009 08:44

i need to data entry

34. anonymous Sun, 23 Aug 2009 15:55

I've watched this 4 times and I can't get the form out of read-only mode. How do you do that?

33. anonymous Sun, 23 Aug 2009 15:11

Very good. This is the second time I watched the same one.

32. anonymous Sun, 23 Aug 2009 13:59

Very good. I've programmed in Access for over 15 years and

this beats a lot of what I saw there. The simplicity of this is great.

31. anonymous Sat, 22 Aug 2009 06:53

Excellent Video. I've done lots of DB stuff in PHP/Mysql and using OO offers a desktop solution. And I'm trying to learn fast - so I'll be watching your other vids.

Thanks for putting the effort in - its muchly appreciated.

Cheers

TIm Brownlaw

30. anonymous Sun, 16 Aug 2009 03:41

Nice - thanks!

29. anonymous Sun, 02 Aug 2009 21:04

Very Helpful!!

28. anonymous Mon, 20 Jul 2009 00:35

Good work Dai... basic steps covered so I can start to create a new dB. .. Thanks.

Tim

27. anonymous Sun, 05 Jul 2009 03:05

Great, well explained !!!

Drop down boxes was explained clearly and very useful in actual applications. Kudos to you. Appreciate your effort in preparing this demonstration.

25. anonymous Sun, 21 Jun 2009 15:45

In the Section of Make Data Entry Easy I am missing a depiction of how to enter binary data, e.g. Image or programfile.

The tutorial video is great, it would help me very much.

How about the URL, is it just as text data to define ?

thanks

24. anonymous Sun, 21 Jun 2009 15:44

The tutorial video is great, it would help me very much.

How about the URL, is it just as text data to define ?

thanks

23. anonymous Wed, 17 Jun 2009 09:37

impressive

22. anonymous Wed, 17 Jun 2009 08:04

this is great

21. anonymous Fri, 12 Jun 2009 02:00

As a beginner with oobase I'm struggling to get a data entry form that does what I want it to (use data from more than one table and integrate entry of people with the tickets they buy) This tutorial was easily followed and showed me one or two items that are useful, unfortunately it doesn't sort the main problem.

20. anonymous Thu, 11 Jun 2009 04:07

Dai - Congratulations on producing easy-to-understand, unintimidating videos. You have a very personable and engaging style. Spot on - and please carry on!

19. anonymous Fri, 05 Jun 2009 06:24

cool

18. anonymous Sat, 30 May 2009 07:52

a fresher of data entry

17. anonymous Fri, 24 Apr 2009 08:14

I am so new at computers that I need to know exactly how this can help me.

Mark

16. anonymous Thu, 09 Apr 2009 13:42

Useful

15. anonymous Thu, 09 Apr 2009 13:41

Useful

14. anonymous Thu, 09 Apr 2009 04:23

Just Brilliant!

Many Thanks.

13. anonymous Tue, 07 Apr 2009 18:02

Very Good Module, I would not change anything...

al

12. anonymous Wed, 18 Mar 2009 18:00

thanks for your help

11. anonymous Mon, 16 Mar 2009 02:39

Glad to have these tutorials walk me through better understanding how OO Base works. Thanks Dai!

10. anonymous Sun, 15 Mar 2009 09:37

Thanks for making these!

They have been extremely helpful

9. anonymous Mon, 02 Mar 2009 12:40

Dai,

Although I'm a competent user and teacher of MS Office I want to become proficient with Open Office. Your tutorials have been very helpful. Thank you.

Geoff Stilwell

Very good, very useful. One small detail that would make it just a little better, would be mentioning why you chose to assign the repeat properties to some of the drop lists. I know why but some people may not. Very good! Enjoyed it.

7. anonymous Sun, 21 Dec 2008 19:12

Thank you so much for taking the time to make these videos. I don't think I ever would have learned how to use these OpenOffice Databases without your help. Thank you again, Tom H.

6. anonymous Tue, 04 Nov 2008 09:50

Unlike some of the OOo help files, his works. I say, "Start here !!" and save yourself a lot of fustration.

5. anonymous Wed, 02 Apr 2008 15:11

Review of Make Data Entry Easy

Great videos about openoffice.org...Specially the ooBase tutorials...!!!

Enjoy and say bb to access!

4. anonymous Wed, 06 Feb 2008 20:33

The reason that it wouldn't let you save is because in the creation of the Appointments Table you set it so that there needed to be a value entered in the "Start Date" field. Since the changes you made to the Form were unimportant, you don't need to save it, fixing the problem.

After years of struggling I finaly understand how to make a form under some kind of control.

2. anonymous Mon, 24 Dec 2007 02:47

there was no explanation of what

group, dropdown or repeat, just the result of using all three particular examples. What if all three weren't chosen or they were chosen with a different kind of field? It left me totally confused.

Review of Make Data Entry Easy

oki doke folks!

thanks a million Dai,

this is a great place to start learning the basics of oobase

Kudos and Thanks for Dai