Name: [1922] Dai
Description: Hi I'm Dai Just an ordinary guy with an interest in computers who likes making how to videos for others to get the best out of there computers. I ounce did a course on web-design to further my interest in the subject. Got a HNC out of to boot but, lately my interest has turned to doing howto vide ...

Creating Relationships [ID:335] (3/15)

in series: OpenOffice Base

video tutorial by Dai, added 08/07

This tutorial will show you how to create a relationship between 2 tables

70. Ron Arredondo Sat, 16 Oct 2010 01:03

This one was good also. However, the list of fields that he shows within his "Appointments" in this tutorial has more then what he showed and did in his prior exercise. I remember seeing the entire list of fields in the overview video so I used that to guide me to add the missing fields in order to follow his instructions on this exercise. Could get confusing for some people.... Thanks again! -Ron

69. licuriciu Sat, 11 Sep 2010 01:17

this helped. :) thank you!

It has been very helpful. I like the simplicity it makes it easy for me to follow in this new forum of technology

I have just started your course. I am competent in Access and would prefer to migrate to Base for at least the smaller projects I do for voluntary organisations.

Very clear.

Great concise tutorial. I have constructed a few databases but always had problems with relaionships. This made it look so easy!

Excellent Tutorial so far. One of the bests.

Seeing a video makes it easier to understand than reading how to.

Im new to using relational databases so it would be a big help if you could explain the relationships part but still very helpful

reg's Steve

61. Denise Van Wyk Sat, 05 Jun 2010 04:11

Great videos! Would refer all my students to this site!

60. Ninan Joseph Sat, 22 May 2010 22:47

Very useful

Hi Dai,

I hope to use your tutorial to build a database to keep a track of all my domains and web site work. I'll let you know how I get on

Great work :-)

57. Zach Brilhart Thu, 29 Apr 2010 10:03

Awesome vids. Needed this for my web design project. Was tearing my hair out reading the base help documentation. This was exactly what I needed.

Please make more on this subject.

55. Jóhann Gunnarsson Sat, 24 Apr 2010 16:05

Thanks, Dai, great videos!

54. John Williamson Wed, 21 Apr 2010 15:28

I thank you so much for your video's, they are a great help to me in understanding base

It's nice to know how to create a relationship. It would also be nice to know what the relationship means or does.

52. Madeline Tue, 06 Apr 2010 22:12

I'm hoping to use these tutorials with my students. So far, so good. Thank you for sharing.

Thank you for This Lessons , i am use openoffice few years and i like to write book about it .

50. Bill Gearhiser Sun, 21 Feb 2010 07:19

Great! Didn't even know this function existed.

49. honyczek Fri, 05 Feb 2010 02:11

Hello, this was good practical how to making relations. Thanks.

Dai -- just not clear. However, this is no matter of concern because I have only watched it once. I usually need to go over a procedure several times in order to remember the proper of sequence. In other words it is still too early for me to have formed an opinion regarding this video. SECOND WATCHING - LOOKS VERY GOOD - THANKS. I WAS EXPECTING A MINIMUM OF 5 WATCHINGS IN ORDER TO GET IT FIGURED OUT. THANKS.

Good to know how to make relationships, but for the complete beginner (like myself) you should say what it does. I saw what you did, but I don't know why.

useful

Hey, I really like you database videos. You make it clear and easy to follow.

43. anonymous Wed, 06 Jan 2010 16:45

hello, just started to get tuition from your clips i like it because its is free and step by step...

thanks for making it available for ordinary people

42. anonymous Wed, 23 Dec 2009 18:34

Just thanks for Relationships. I tried it several times and had problems in the database it self. Followed your directions and error messages showed me the relations erros. May Thanks

Marwynne

41. anonymous Mon, 21 Dec 2009 16:01

Thanks for this service. It didnt quite solve my problem (I get an error message when trying to make links between 2 tables and dont quite know why) but I found your tutorial calm and thorough none the less. Happy Xmas

40. anonymous Sun, 20 Dec 2009 00:31

So far this has been well done, easy to follow and useful. Thanks!

39. anonymous Wed, 25 Nov 2009 07:40

Dai,

I am still going through all your videos but already I have learned more than by reading on-line literature (some of which is dated). Thanks

Patrick

38. anonymous Sat, 21 Nov 2009 16:54

Nice - showed me something I really needed to know to get going in OO base

37. anonymous Sat, 21 Nov 2009 06:59

Many Thanks, very useful.

Only one thing, can you get rid of the whistling on the videos?

36. anonymous Sun, 25 Oct 2009 18:36

I think it would be useful to know why you choose the Types and ID as the fields to relate as opposed to say Date and ID. Also the 1 to Many relationship, how is that determined and can that be edited here to '1 to 1', or 'Many to Many'? I ask because I have not found the answeres elsewhere and really would like to know

35. anonymous Tue, 20 Oct 2009 22:55

I find learning from a video far more productive than just reading pages of instructions.

34. anonymous Wed, 30 Sep 2009 07:13

Good tutorial on list boxes. But I think it would have been more helpfull to show us how do it from scratch rather that wasting time on showing us how to resize and recolour boxes, again.

For example you did not tell us we had to create another table with all the choices on it. And mine still does not work as I tried following your example and I keep getting error messages.

But thanks for trying anyway.

33. anonymous Thu, 24 Sep 2009 16:05

Great video!

32. anonymous Mon, 14 Sep 2009 08:48

Dear Guru,

your video tutorials are very very good. But.....

There is a glaring omission in the ooBASE videos..... Sum the entries in a column.

In a spreadsheet this is a simple operation Is this a very infrequently used data base operation? No, quite the contrary.

The simplest "column sum" situation that I can think of is a monthly expense sheet, where you enter how much you have spent on the days you have to pay for things.

Can it be more complicated? Yes, very much so in a big company, but basically the core operation is to sum entries in a column....

If I can see an easy way, I'll post the method later in this forum.

Bye

Fred

Madrid

31. anonymous Fri, 21 Aug 2009 20:07

OK, you name an empty DataBase then you create and

name a Table or Tables containing only field names. I understand that once formed, the Tables will hold my "records", and I GUESS I understand that one DataBase holding multiple Tables which can be "related" to each other will accomplish.... what? more flexibility, power...I don't really know? Why not just have one Table which you can manipulate and run reports from?? This is still the best training for a beginner like me though, so I'll stick with it! Thanks!

30. anonymous Tue, 18 Aug 2009 22:48

Very helpful

29. anonymous Mon, 10 Aug 2009 13:45

good job ... I've checked others and you're the best ... so far!

28. anonymous Mon, 10 Aug 2009 13:10

nice presentation...

27. anonymous Sat, 08 Aug 2009 21:46

Nice presentation. Very helpfull. Thanks

26. anonymous Fri, 17 Jul 2009 00:15

xx

25. anonymous Thu, 16 Jul 2009 22:34

Very informative much needed Thanks

24. anonymous Tue, 14 Jul 2009 16:33

Just started watching these. They are just getting to be useful to me.

23. anonymous Fri, 03 Jul 2009 18:36

Thanks for the videos

22. anonymous Wed, 01 Jul 2009 21:08

Great job.

21. anonymous Tue, 30 Jun 2009 21:56

Very instructive, thanks.

Very useful tutorials on relationships, i.e. from 0 to 1. Thanks again

19. anonymous Wed, 24 Jun 2009 09:47

I've been using your tutorials to get familiar with Base and am impressed. These are excellent tools and I am sure that other oo novices will also find them most helpful.

18. anonymous Thu, 18 Jun 2009 09:28

Simple but good. Thanks

17. anonymous Wed, 17 Jun 2009 05:26

Just what I've been after. I know a bit about databases but needed a refresher and something specific to Openoffice Base and this is it! Thank you!

16. anonymous Tue, 09 Jun 2009 08:18

I like it.

15. anonymous Sun, 24 May 2009 23:24

Thanks Dai. I haven't finished all of them yet, but your videos ahve been very helpful. OOo Base has virtually no documentation and I almost decided to just make my own Java/MySQL db. OOo Base is very untuitive and your tips and gotchas really helped. One of the things that frustrated me was trying to edit the table fields after I had already clicked save. Now I know this can't be done--a Base quirk as you say.

I bet creating a composite primary key is straightforward as long as I do it before hitting save. I'll try this.

One question... What do I do if I want to edit the table fields AFTER the table has already been populated? My guess would be to re-design the table and somehow copy-n-paste between the old table and the new one.

14. anonymous Sun, 24 May 2009 15:04

As before. The video is good, as a starter. I have come to it as a new person to "Base", but not new to database writing. It may be that the subject of why data needs to be split into separate tables and relationships created will come later, but I would want to put it early on, as it is so important, in order to achieve the purposes we have in mind and ensure that separable data is kept apart in separate tables and linked to the other bits through the ta ble relationships management. It seems tedious to discuss but without this basic people are going to get into a muddle except with the electronic equivalent of a flat-crd database.

13. anonymous Wed, 06 May 2009 02:58

i was pulling my hair out trying to figure out Base -- thank God their is a simple tutorial available. Two comments (1) If you could let people know what version of Base you are using and notify them of any changes or improvements you are showing compared to the version they may be on and (2) Have a parallel tutorials that mirrors the originals but slightly more complex and/or using different data input, forms, queries, etc. Thanx

12. anonymous Mon, 04 May 2009 12:50

Nicely explained but I don't understand why you chose those two items for relationships

11. anonymous Sun, 03 May 2009 16:37

Thank you so much for taking your time to help others learn.

9. anonymous Tue, 07 Apr 2009 17:39

Enjoyed the module, but you may want cover "One-to-Many", "One-to-One" and the purpose of relationships. When I started to work with databases, the relationships were very strange functions.

8. anonymous Mon, 23 Mar 2009 16:20

short and sweet - pretty cool. Looking forward to greater usage and details.

I am so far behind the learning curve that the brevity is really nice, but I still want to get into greater detail of knocking out some of the project I started on. It looks like you cover most of it. In particular, I am setting up a database to handle a Mini-CRM that tracks customer accounts with different goods and services. And a couple of different Users (sales folks). Should be lots of fun and I could probably go buy it cheaper than what it would cost me to build it, but what fun is that?

Everyone keeps telling me to start with a CRM like Sugar or SGS, and tell me I can modify and customize those suites...I laugh! They think I know how to do this stuff!!

Thanks much for taking the baby steps and crawling me through this!

Yahoo IM - dbram32

7. anonymous Fri, 20 Mar 2009 10:09

I've looked at a couple Base tutorials and think the series will be a big help. I think it's great that the authors share their knowledge this way.

6. anonymous Sun, 08 Feb 2009 10:55

Thank you very much for all your Base tutorial series! You rock!

5. anonymous Tue, 03 Feb 2009 08:57

impressive video tutorials. I learned more from a few minutes than hours from an e-book. keep it up

4. anonymous Wed, 14 Jan 2009 00:33

You mention Tables and Forms etc, but do not specify exactly what each is used for. It would be good if, at the very beginning of the first video you explained 'database jargon' meanings.

3. anonymous Wed, 01 Oct 2008 04:19

Excellent! If pictures are worth a thousand words, then videos are woth 100x that. This is the absolute best way for people to get solid knowledge of how to use a product and it is quick too! This is great stuff, bring us more!

2. anonymous Wed, 30 Jan 2008 23:47

how do u like none primary key fields together then?

AWESOME first tutrial ive found that doesnt suck! Thank you so much!!

Kudos and Thanks for Dai