Name: [1922] Dai
Description: Hi I'm Dai Just an ordinary guy with an interest in computers who likes making how to videos for others to get the best out of there computers. I ounce did a course on web-design to further my interest in the subject. Got a HNC out of to boot but, lately my interest has turned to doing howto vide ...

Creating the DataBase [ID:333] (1/15)

in series: OpenOffice Base

video tutorial by Dai, added 08/07

This tutorial shows you how to create a database. A populated databse for learning can be had from the files section of the learners showmedo group. http://groups.google.com/group/showmedo-learners

146. Mike Burns Fri, 15 Oct 2010 13:44

Okay.

145. Dempsey Querry Tue, 28 Sep 2010 20:22

Thanks for your time and effort. It's a help so far.

144. pamela odoch Mon, 27 Sep 2010 04:07

Thanks alot for the good demonstrations

143. mohamed saleh Fri, 10 Sep 2010 07:04

thanks for your usefull vedio

142. James L Smith Sr Tue, 07 Sep 2010 10:33

i would like to know if there is a way to get help on a data base directly from you on our sales force. we love linyx but hard to get thru some times if can call me i would apriciate it it is a simple datat base just need help. the presintation was a little short but very goos in its exicution

141. Matt Jennings Thu, 02 Sep 2010 07:13

Thanks Dai for these videos, I've been tasked with crating the database for our company and they insist on using openoffice which I have never used before so your videos are going to be very worthwhile.

Thanks for doing them

Thanks--will check on next step

138. Temael David Tue, 17 Aug 2010 08:56

so great man!! I appreciate it real coz it helped me so much

So far so good!

136. Robert Hoey Fri, 13 Aug 2010 18:31

Small steps are good. Where do I find the next lesson?

The first part of the example showed an existing database named "calendar" which could have been opened. Why did OO not object when you named the new database "calendar" too? Shouldn't it make you choose a unique name?

Hi Dai, I'm very new at this and trying to learn all I can.

Thanks for posting these how to videos.

134. Al Arlitz Fri, 13 Aug 2010 15:25

Hi Dai,

Thanks for the video tutorials. They are helpful to me getting started with Open Office.

133. Richard Chabot Fri, 13 Aug 2010 14:27

Very helpful in getting started using databases.

I would like to see a video on using Writer mail merge to make a list of mailing labels from a data file. It's a very confusing process.

Thanks ..... Richard Chabot

Thanks for your time to do this video, go ahead with your work.

Very helpful

Great work, the vedio teaching really helps. I'm just starting to learn OOo Base and this will be my first choice for tutorial.

Clear and concise. good job.

Great videos.

Erhard Lettner

Nice tutorial. Thanks for the time you took to put it together!

126. doug stearns Wed, 02 Jun 2010 04:28

Just getting started with Base tutorial. Looks good so far.

Looks good so far. please e-mail me so I can e-mail you back.

124. bubacarr Wed, 26 May 2010 01:30

It a good video

123. Alvaro (Celis) Wed, 19 May 2010 20:09

I've watching the introductory videos for Scribus, which I find very didactic and clearly exposed (the volumen is a little low, though). The experience of Dai and knowledge of the topics is obvious. I'm very grateful for all the efforts and time he has dedicated to recording these videos, and his willingness to share his expertise. This material has reduced considerably the time required to learn these topics. Once again, many thanks.

122. Gary Camus Mon, 10 May 2010 12:44

A pleasant yet informative style helpful to a person with basic skills in using a database.

Clear, but very short!

120. Josh Thomas Atchison Thu, 22 Apr 2010 22:15

So far its by far the most concise tutorial on the open office database program. Thank you very much!

119. Ron Nainby Thu, 22 Apr 2010 04:28

Very good.....much appreciated

Im new to ubuntu....and in creating database... im looking forward to create my own database..

This is very helpful in learning this open office base. Clear and concise in its presentation. Thank you and I highly recommend this tutorial to others.

Great concept for anybody to take the time and learn what

they need to learn. I am a shift worker so 24/7 learning is

great....

115. Sam Shearn Sat, 03 Apr 2010 05:18

thanks - good to have someone talk you through things

This series was a great learning tool.

This is great. Very informative.

Thanks.

112. Dave Siggers Thu, 18 Mar 2010 07:53

Looks easy to follow

I am glad that there is something on the internet that can show me how to use this program. I was so lost. Thanks

Great Job. I have found your instructions easy to follow.

Thank you!

109. Bill Gearhiser Fri, 19 Feb 2010 07:20

Very useful. The database portion of OO has below average documentation, so this helps. Thanks!

good work, little short. keep it up.

the video have show the detail to using the open office

only seen one video, looks helpful, but I'll reserve judgement until I've seen a few more then hopefully re-submit some useful feedback

Good Lesson to start. Keep up the good work!

104. Earl Ewards Thu, 11 Feb 2010 15:06

Thank You very helpful.My first time trying to create a database.

good, I like it

just looking to learn about Open Office base to show studetns how it works. Thanks

Very helpful tutorial for a computer illiterate like myself.Of course it will require my going over it several times,just to get it right.Thank you for your help Dai.

Looks like a very good introduction of the program to a newbie like me. Thanks!

so far, so good

98. Johnny Reinboth Fri, 15 Jan 2010 11:32

Earlier user of Superbase. Now forced to find a simple solution for relation-database.

97. anonymous Wed, 30 Dec 2009 19:43

NICE ACCENT. ONLY AT 1ST VIDEO. WANT TO KNOW IF BASE ONLY CONNECTS TO OTHER DATABASES, OR IF IT WILL HOLD ITS OWN DATA. TRYING TO MIGRATE FROM ACCESS, TO NEW SYSTEM AT HOME, AND GET SCOPE OF WHAT NEEDS TO BE ADDED., I.E. DOES NEW SYSTEM NEED MYSQL OR OTHER OPEN SOURCE BITS TO HOUSE DATA.

96. anonymous Sat, 26 Dec 2009 11:58

ok so far, only saw the beginning

Glad to get Base videos. Thanks

Dave

94. anonymous Tue, 08 Dec 2009 03:14

How do you resize the window screen again?

I created the database on a 19" screen.

When I open it on a 13.3" laptop i have to keep moving the scrolling bars, vertically and horizontally.

If there is a way then great, if not then its ok.

93. anonymous Sun, 06 Dec 2009 13:49

its great, thanks it helps me a lot

92. anonymous Sun, 22 Nov 2009 00:59

hey. can you teach me the creatin database? i need it. it's our final exam.

91. anonymous Wed, 18 Nov 2009 12:12

Thanks for this. I've only looked at vid 1 so far but looks like it will be a very useful series.

90. anonymous Fri, 13 Nov 2009 04:36

Excellent stuff, nice easy to use bite sized chunks, Thanks

89. anonymous Fri, 13 Nov 2009 00:41

i want to know how to make database

88. anonymous Tue, 03 Nov 2009 16:11

I found explanations of the options to be useful. Thanks for your efforts to make this accessible!

87. anonymous Tue, 27 Oct 2009 09:26

very helpful thanks

86. anonymous Sun, 25 Oct 2009 18:13

Perfect so far

85. anonymous Sun, 25 Oct 2009 15:51

Thank you for the video.

84. anonymous Mon, 19 Oct 2009 21:26

Nice video little short

83. anonymous Fri, 16 Oct 2009 18:33

Good stuff!! Thank-you my friend!

82. anonymous Fri, 16 Oct 2009 08:34

Good job on your videos so far, Tempo could use some work. I'm getting use to the term"OKee Dokee". All together very useful.

Thnx.

81. anonymous Mon, 05 Oct 2009 19:46

Thanks tons! I was beating my brains out trying to figure out from the help files and OOo forums about how to create a simple combo box on my form and got nowhere till I watched your tutorial... if only I had found you tutorial first, it would have saved me a lot of frustration. Thanks man, I'll be sure to check out your videos next time. Peace!

80. anonymous Mon, 21 Sep 2009 15:03

Clear visual. Just began. So far so good.

79. anonymous Wed, 16 Sep 2009 22:04

this is good stuff! keep up the good work.

78. anonymous Wed, 26 Aug 2009 13:19

Looking for some video tutorials on OOo Base and your series is about the only one I've found so far.

I've only watched the first video so far and it was good.

77. anonymous Tue, 25 Aug 2009 18:19

Need to know how to mail merge, I keep getting an error

76. anonymous Fri, 21 Aug 2009 15:10

Good so far! oobase has had me, as a basic user, completely baffled. I use PCLinuxOS and kept getting a runtime java error. I think I finally got that figured out - only needed to fill in a selection bubble! At any rate, on to figure out... what "registering" a database means, where the heck to save it to... etc. Love the verbal and video walk through, but will still take me a while. I used to use MSWorks years ago and it was so simple... I'll have to adapt! Thanks

75. anonymous Thu, 13 Aug 2009 23:51

please release video for how export a .csv file into open office base

74. anonymous Mon, 10 Aug 2009 00:35

want downloadable copy

73. anonymous Fri, 07 Aug 2009 13:42

clear but in too small pieces perhaps...

72. anonymous Thu, 06 Aug 2009 23:44

Muchas gracias por los videos, justamente lo que estaba buscando.

71. anonymous Thu, 06 Aug 2009 23:44

Muchas gracias por los videos, justamente lo que estaba buscando.

70. anonymous Sat, 01 Aug 2009 04:08

Thanks for your efforts. Easy to follow instructions for us novices.

Regards

John

69. anonymous Sat, 01 Aug 2009 04:06

Thanks for your efforts. Easy to follow instructions for us novices.

Regards

John

68. anonymous Thu, 30 Jul 2009 14:55

Good job with your video, I learned a lot

67. anonymous Mon, 27 Jul 2009 18:29

it's great

66. anonymous Mon, 20 Jul 2009 09:11

Interesting to me.

65. anonymous Tue, 14 Jul 2009 17:37

Excellent, keep up the good work. There are not a lot of people out there who are willing to teach anybody the steps in navigating their way through this software.

64. anonymous Sat, 11 Jul 2009 22:51

good vedio

63. anonymous Sat, 11 Jul 2009 06:49

I had a course in MS access yeeaarrs ago. I now try to learn something again. Ive always said to my children how important it is to learn db:s. Thank you for your giving lessons. Maybe my stonagebrain could still learn something once more. :)) Greetings

62. anonymous Wed, 08 Jul 2009 11:57

I loved your video, is helping me a lot.

thank god for your work.

xD

bye bye

61. anonymous Tue, 07 Jul 2009 11:00

would have liked to have had more information on why you should register your database

Down to earth knowledge share that can help me to create database. Direct to the point teaching minimizes learning time. Thanks a lot.

59. anonymous Thu, 25 Jun 2009 17:54

This is a great help.

53. anonymous Thu, 11 Jun 2009 20:05

Very nicely made

52. anonymous Sun, 07 Jun 2009 19:59

Helpful to this newbie.

51. anonymous Sat, 06 Jun 2009 15:30

Thanks Dai, you're a great guy to do this for us. Brian

50. anonymous Sun, 24 May 2009 14:27

This is exactly what beginners need. Whaat I have seen so far - the first bit of creating a database [the blurb calls it a "databse"! ] takes one step at a time, which every beginner needs. IT is far better than a book to follow - and I have used books in the past because I did not know that Showmedo existed until I met it in Linux Format magazine.

49. anonymous Wed, 13 May 2009 07:25

Too slow and pedestrian for such a small topic. Speed it up so we can reach the meat, please.

48. anonymous Tue, 12 May 2009 21:25

I want to see the rest of it but so far so good. sometimes I need to be shown what to do. thanks for it.

47. anonymous Tue, 12 May 2009 13:48

Excellent. This site is what I've been looking for. Dai is an exceptional author

46. anonymous Mon, 11 May 2009 21:27

i found your video helpful

45. anonymous Mon, 04 May 2009 12:27

Good video - clear and easy to follow

44. anonymous Wed, 29 Apr 2009 04:40

Excellent

43. anonymous Mon, 27 Apr 2009 06:53

Great videos

i want to lern oobase, and i found here, thanks for help me... great job.

Low key, to the point...a nicely done tutorial. I feel fortunate to have stumbled across this site since good database tutorials are hard to come by.

40. anonymous Sun, 19 Apr 2009 20:03

thanks a lot!!!

certanly, only a good guy, computer fan, take his time to do this usefull things.

There are some pretty 'high powered' lessons here on 'Showmedo' and I want those. However, I think that there is great value in also looking at videos made by ordinary computer users.

I want to thank Dai for taking the trouble to share his usage of Open Office. No matter how 'expert' one may become (or think you do) it can still take time to familiarize yourself with a given application. It saves a tremendous amount of time if you can just sit back and watch someone taking you through it.

So thanks a lot Dai - I found it very useful and on a non-computing note, I love that Welsh accent! You have a very 'laid back' way of presentation which I liked very much.

37. anonymous Fri, 17 Apr 2009 21:58

I found the video very helpful.

34. anonymous Mon, 13 Apr 2009 14:09

I did the first tutorial ..so far so good

33. anonymous Sun, 12 Apr 2009 02:07

good start I will follow the guides and see how far it takes me

very helpful

31. anonymous Thu, 09 Apr 2009 14:01

Thanks for the excellent tutorial.

30. anonymous Thu, 02 Apr 2009 05:04

i like this because it is very good

29. anonymous Wed, 01 Apr 2009 13:30

OK so far just started viewing them, I am moving on to the next one so that's a vote :-)

28. anonymous Wed, 01 Apr 2009 12:26

i am just a to openoffice and want to know if i can manage a MySQL from forms created in OOo-base and make all controls on users. Will it help?

I am sorry it isnot a comment i will leave a comment after i see what is there

Menus (Mr)

25. anonymous Tue, 31 Mar 2009 21:39

i have been puzzled by how to use the data base. you seem to have a handle on it and are providing a path for learning. thanks

24. anonymous Mon, 30 Mar 2009 06:00

Hi there!

I looked for a little e-learning. I'm interested at open source and I found your site, I think, open sources and Open Office is the best choise!;) I like the part of this public value. Only valuable people can create real values! Who can believe what he do! I wish many goods for your likes! Thanx for All!

László from Hungary

23. anonymous Mon, 30 Mar 2009 02:23

good

21. anonymous Sat, 28 Mar 2009 17:25

I was hopeing for more meat but I guess if you don't even know what a database is then that little video might show you how you make one.

If you join showmedo you can right click on the download button and save the .flv files to play on your computer.

I also have a cd menu system of these tutorials but I would have to figure a way of getting them to you. If you prefer this then contact by email :

dai54321@hotmail.com

18. anonymous Thu, 26 Mar 2009 05:14

I find the tutorials for the Open Office Data Base excellent. I would like to download these tutorials to my PC so I can call them up easily while constructing my data base. Is this possible ??

Thansk for your advise. Walter

16. anonymous Sat, 28 Feb 2009 23:54

click on "GO" button screen goes dark gray.

Nothing happens.

Using Ubuntu Intrepid Linux, latsest

Looks good please help.

15. anonymous Fri, 06 Feb 2009 03:40

A really nice pace in contrast to all the US tutorials I've seen on line which are way too slow and wordy

14. anonymous Wed, 14 Jan 2009 18:12

I've watched through them all and they are very helpful for taking away my database phobias

13. anonymous Wed, 03 Dec 2008 09:25

ok, i've just seen the 1st one and I'm going to see the next one. 'By now it's easy to follow...

Thumbs up dude. You got my 5 star vote.

Sincere,

Bujang Redzuan Mohammed

Kuching Sarawak Malaysia

thank you for this very interesting and useful video! I would be very interested to see how to call python macros, db stored procedures from ooo base.

once again, thank you

Thanks I like it very much.

Thanks so much Dai for doing these tutorials. They've really helped cut down the learning curve.

8. anonymous Sat, 25 Aug 2007 12:13

I liked it

Steve, good idea with Del.icio.us, I've added that as a section to our Publicity page:

Good stuff: most people only look at Writer, Calc and Impress but Base is a very usable component. I've put this on the web for others to see at

A very worthwhile effort. I hope it does well!

regards

Steve

Hi Dai - so nice to see some OpenOffice videos!

Just to let you know - we're working to display the number of times that a video gets viewed, we started to track this information in our db a few weeks back. I imagine that this series could be rather popular.

If you (and other users) would like some ideas on how to publicise the videos, I've created a wiki page with some ideas:

and I'm open to suggestions for expanding the page.

Very nice, we've needed an OpenOffice series here for a while. Good job.

Really nice to see an Open-Office series! Clean and succinct. I'm curious to see how the database management works; am currently swimming in the deeper end, coding SQL with Python and SQLAlchemy but there are many instances where that approach is top heavy and of course for the non-programmer this stuff is a boon.

Fantastic stuff Dai, not pleased with newer versions of well established office suites and having viewed this screencast I've downloaded OpenOffice. Its the highest compliment I can think of.

Kudos and Thanks for Dai