Name: [1982] Siddhi
Description: I'm an entrepreneur from Chennai, India and I have my own company `Silver Stripe Software <http://www.silverstripesoftware.com>`_ where I develop tools for agile software development using Python and Django. My passion is in the startup ecosystem (especially in India), agile development and manageme ...

Learn Django: Adding tags to the wiki [ID:513] (3/3)

in series: Learn Django: Create a Wiki in 20 minutes

video tutorial by Siddhi, added 02/08

Following on from the previous two screencasts, we add the ability to create and edit tags for wiki pages. In the process, we'll see how to create relations between Django model objects using the ManyToManyField. With a few lines of code, and thirty minutes of time, we'll have a wiki with tags.

Excellent!

That was brilliant. By copying your wikipage I was able to learn the django framework in double quick time. Thanks!!!

58. Kevin F. Smith Wed, 16 Jun 2010 15:23

Thank you for your time in making this available.

Excellent tutorial!

56. derschreckliche Sun, 16 May 2010 14:51

Very nice screencast series!

Helped me a lot to get to think the django way.

Great series! They gave me the inspiration to get started with Python myself, as well as concidering Django.

I'm wondering, what is the db structure generated by the models in the third series?

54. Albert Stimson Fri, 23 Apr 2010 03:48

Wonderful series! Thank you for doing these. You are very clear, and it's great to see you edit and debug things as you go, plus get a taste of the various editors you use.

53. jason vandecreek Mon, 22 Mar 2010 15:41

Just finished all three in the wiki set. Good work.

Thanks for contributing to the community.

I noticed on google search for 'django video' this showmedo series is listed 2nd.

52. RAjesh kumar Fri, 19 Mar 2010 00:41

very nice tutorial

it's a great video,i like it!

50. Ian Barrow Fri, 05 Feb 2010 16:28

very informative and enjoyable

thanks

49. anonymous Mon, 30 Nov 2009 10:36

It would really help if you did more of these video tutorials. Dealing with creating admin sites and user authentication.

Also, does Django have something that can help with mutiple uploads of files, specially media files like .jpg?

Thanks much, your tutorials really helped in understanding the concepts of django, specially since I am not a programmer.

48. anonymous Fri, 27 Nov 2009 03:21

I viewed all 3 tutorials on how to create a wiki system. I enjoyed them a lot, very useful! Thank you so much!

47. anonymous Mon, 31 Aug 2009 13:30

how about refactoring?

46. anonymous Mon, 06 Jul 2009 09:45

it is an awesm wrk......grt goin.........keep it up

45. anonymous Fri, 26 Jun 2009 14:57

Thanks, I am learning Django and your videos are great for me.

But they aren't finished. The third one doesnt finnich correctly.

Do you have the full video?

Thanks.

From Spain.

44. anonymous Fri, 26 Jun 2009 14:57

Thanks, I am learning Django and your videos are great for me.

But they aren't finished. The third one doesnt finnich correctly.

Do you have the full video?

Thanks.

From Spain.

43. anonymous Thu, 18 Jun 2009 13:32

Watched all three videos. It was very informative since I am just starting to grow my interest in python/django. It really motivates to seek more knowledge. Thank you.

42. anonymous Wed, 10 Jun 2009 21:35

Great work. Ty for teaching

41. anonymous Wed, 03 Jun 2009 07:56

hey siddhi

my name is keith and i am a student in ireland and i have to do a project and i was looking at your videos and they are great they showed me alot for my project but there is one thing missing and i was wondering if you could help me. and its with semantic wiki's.

with my project the main thing is too look at semantic wikis and have my own wiki up and running and you with your videos have helped me so much i was just wondering if you knew how to put it into the wiki that you have already written?

oh and one other question i noticed that in the three different videos that you use different programs to wirte it i was going to start writing my own wiki with netbeans do you know if that would work??

keith

40. anonymous Wed, 03 Jun 2009 07:47

hey siddhi

keith

39. anonymous Wed, 03 Jun 2009 07:46

hey siddhi

keith

38. anonymous Wed, 03 Jun 2009 07:45

hey siddhi

keith

This is a great lesson that introduces and clarifies many important concepts in django.

Awesome tutorials so far! Could you provide lessons for user creation, authentication, and permissions (i.e., for editing/creating pages)?

35. anonymous Wed, 25 Mar 2009 07:49

Very good tutorials, everything was explained very well. A++

34. anonymous Mon, 16 Mar 2009 19:26

very helpful and instructive. please go ahead with some more videos.

thank you very much.

Great series. I will use your examples in my work at the office, and it will save me a lot of time.

32. anonymous Thu, 05 Feb 2009 16:42

A thousand thanks!

Part of the learning experience is making this work in Django 1.0. Minor tweaks here and there to make most of it work (I can't get wikify to work yet on 1.0 but it is not important for me at this point). About to finish this third video on tagging. Thank you so much Siddhi. This is a generous contribution, and it speaks well of the Python/Django community!

A viewer, hoamon, has made the code available. Check this comment - http://showmedo.com/videos/video?name=1100020&fromSeriesID=110#comment3334

30. anonymous Fri, 05 Dec 2008 12:15

The videos are great, but It would help me a lot if I could go back and look at the code on my own after I watch them. Could you please let me know if there is a place to download the completed project?

Thank you very much for this screencast. I hope you'll make some more on this series. As others have mentioned, I find that the live feel with typos is really a positive feature of this screencast. If ever you feel that you should edit/redo some parts to correct such errors: DON'T! :-)

This series gave me a real appreciation of django, and many new ideas for enhancements to a project I had in mind.

28. anonymous Fri, 31 Oct 2008 16:31

have you implemented the pinax project with django? would you consider making a screencast showing the setup of pinax? Also I am interested in watching you incorporate css and other design elements into your wiki app. Thank you so much for your great screencasts.

Travis

27. anonymous Thu, 23 Oct 2008 04:52

Fantastic, I was just about to start off on a project after doing the basic Django tutorials. I ould have ended up writting lots of the functionality myself. You tutorials have saved me loads of time introducing me to lots of useful Django concepts. ManyToMany is briliant. I was doing that by hand until now!

I really loved the series of 3 videos. Thanks to you i have begun developing small websites using the django framework.

25. anonymous Sat, 04 Oct 2008 15:33

This is excellent... thank you so much for the tutorial!

cheers from Brasil

24. anonymous Wed, 03 Sep 2008 10:28

Thank you for the short introduction about the way to use django to create web applications. Your presentations openend me a view to what django in combination with python is able to. I was in Chennai some times and it was nice to hear the funny sounds from the background (horns and noices from the lorries).

23. anonymous Sat, 09 Aug 2008 20:58

Review of Learn Django: Adding tags to the wiki

I stumbled into this site while trying to figure out django. I've watched all 4 screencasts in order. These screencasts are superb. The author has a kind of self-deprecating low-key style which adds to the sense of a share discovery. Even working around the bugs and other minor snafus held my interest.

The series of wikicamp-related videos gently yet clearly build up a small example site. And in the process succeed very well in demonstrating how to use django.

It is clear that the author has tremendous knowledge and has worked very hard to crisply and clearly describe his subject matter.

I really like these screencasts and highly recommend them to others.

I can only hope that the author has sufficient time and financial renumeration to add more screencasts. Future topics might include using the Admin app. Or using functionality from the Admin app in other apps. Or connecting a Django App to google app engine. Another idea might be to develop a series of screen casts showing how to build up a real deployed application that works with unicode, payment transactions and flash.

Thanks,

FK

22. anonymous Wed, 28 May 2008 12:11

Awesome, this series is very informative, I got my wiki example up and have since built upon it.

Thank you so much!

Please do more!

anonymous 32 - did you remember to include the reference to "tags" in the render_to_response function call parameter list?

i.e.

return render_to_response("view.html", {"page_name": page_name, "content": markdown.markdown(content), "tags": tags})

this was an error I made initially, and this fixed me up.

Siddhi - thanks for the casts - they were superb. I look forward to follow up stuff.

19. anonymous Tue, 13 May 2008 04:38

Siddhi, thanks..the error is solved..but I just can't see tags when viewing the appropriate page...

@anonymous (#30): You need to delete the database and then do manage.py syncdb after changing the models to create the new tables

17. anonymous Mon, 12 May 2008 15:02

very good viedos Siddhi. But I'm stucked because when i tryed to view tags I get an 1146 "Table 'wiki.wiki_page_tags' doesn't exist" error at line 9 in template view.html :( I just did exactly as u did but still not working. I had other problems but I just figure them out

(few modifications etc.) but this one is harder...

16. anonymous Fri, 09 May 2008 18:43

Review of Learn Django: Adding tags to the wiki

I was struggling with this sort of thing for a while, and came across this film (indeed, this website) somewhat by mistake.

The film answered my questions and taught me things that I didn't even realize I had to learn!

The author is quite witty, and that helps a great deal. I also like the fact that the film contains programming errors (typos, really), which the author addresses in real time. This is particularly valuable, because one of the challenges in learning django (coming from ruby/rails) is learning what to do when python displays an error traceback.

Now that I've seen episode 3, I plan to go back to the earlier episodes. I'm sure that I'll learn a lot from them, and enjoy doing so.

15. anonymous Fri, 11 Apr 2008 21:50

siddhi, you've done a fantastic job of distilling a lot of great django features. *very* good work!

14. anonymous Sun, 30 Mar 2008 18:17

Great set of videos, they help to very clearly summarize what I read in the www.djangobook.com!

13. anonymous Thu, 20 Mar 2008 03:07

Awesome for jumpstarting on django!!

great work Sid!

12. anonymous Thu, 21 Feb 2008 19:30

Review of Learn Django: Adding tags to the wiki

I have been using Django some what in my project. This clever screen cast helped me understand Django better.

The example used in the series cover advanced topics in a simple manner.

Hi Siddhi, The video presentation is very simple and clean. I liked it very much. It is definitely very helpful for the beginners who wants to use Django. Great work. I will sure recommend this video to my friends. Thank you.

Hi Siddhi. Just a quick note to say that I've started some publicity for this video:

which goes out to the Planet Pythons and I aim to give you some more coverage later in the week.

9. anonymous Fri, 15 Feb 2008 16:44

Three bugs i noticed while watching this third screencast:

1. Tags are not escaped/validated. (html injection)

2. You can't delete tags once added to a page. (for tag in tag_list: page.tags.add(tag))

3. You'll get an exception if the tag doesn't exist when you're trying to view it. (Tags.objects.get() without try/except)

This was a really good Django tutorial. I've recomended it some of my friends.

Thanks for the comments!

@hoamon: very cool of you to make the code available, I'm sure it will help a lot of the viewers.

i make a practise for this vedio.

my result is in http://ssvn.hoamon.info/OpenTrunk/wikicamp/

welcome to suggest any comment.

well done.

you explain this subject clearly. i hope to see your next videos(could you make a subject about version control of wiki pages??).

thank you!

hoamon

5. anonymous Mon, 11 Feb 2008 16:58

Hi Siddhi,

Great job with the screencasts! Could you please zip up the code and post it somewhere (maybe on this blog or at showmedo). Thanks and keep up the good work!

Sven

4. anonymous Fri, 08 Feb 2008 15:38

Awesome job again, Siddhi! Your explanations are very clear and understandable,

the pace is just right, the topic is interesting and the implementation is

simple enough for Django beginners like me. The lesson is well structured and

easy to follow and the voice recording is of high quality. Even your little

typos and mistakes are instructive to get a sense of potential problems and

they give a nice a "live" feeling to the recording. I can't wait to see more

episodes of your series. Great work.

3. anonymous Fri, 08 Feb 2008 15:29

*Awesome* job again, Siddhi! Your explanations are very clear and understandable, the pace is just right, the topic is interesting and the implementation is simple enough for Django beginners like me. The lesson is well structured and easy to follow and the voice recording is of high quality. Even your little typos and mistakes are instructive to get a sense of potential problems and they give a nice a "live" feeling to the recording. I can't wait to see more episodes of your series. Great work.

2. anonymous Mon, 04 Feb 2008 16:02

Nice job! (You might also point out the very good Django Tagging contributed app from James Bennett.)

At 14:28, I'd move that tags = page.tags.all() down to after the content = page.content, to keep things parallel.

Video published, thanks for contributing to ShowMeDo

Kudos and Thanks for Siddhi