Name: [1982] Siddhi
Description: I'm an entrepreneur from Chennai, India and I have my own company `Silver Stripe Software <http://www.silverstripesoftware.com>`_ where I develop tools for agile software development using Python and Django. My passion is in the startup ecosystem (especially in India), agile development and manageme ...

Learn Django: Create a Wiki in 20 minutes [ID:332] (1/3)

in series: Learn Django: Create a Wiki in 20 minutes

video tutorial by Siddhi, added 07/07

In this tutorial, I introduce the basics of Django by walking you through the development of a simple wiki application.

We'll see how you can design your URLs, interact with the database and use the Django template library. As an added bonus, we'll also include support for editing pages using Markdown syntax [ http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/ ].

By the end, you'll see how little time and code it takes to get a simple application up and running.

great webcast.

Would be great if you could provide the wiki project as a download.

Also, is mardown standard with Django, or does it have to be installed? I've used textile and I was required to install it separately.

Again, fantastic webcast. I really look forward to watching the other three in this series.

thanks it is good

351. Dan Bergh Johnsson Wed, 06 Oct 2010 00:19

Really clear and simple introduction. I might try it out as a kata myself. Thanks for your efforts of putting this screencast together.

BTW: I really enjoyed the faint sounds of the streets of Chennai in the background.

350. Dig4Fire Sat, 02 Oct 2010 08:37

Thanks for the screencast!

Great tutorial, simple and easy to follow.. I wish there would more like this . thank you

348. Mayur Tandan Mon, 27 Sep 2010 13:42

Siddhi Sir,

i saw this video's, and understood something something, but today is my first day to know about python, so by this video i m not introduced to python. I m MCA 5th sem student and I want to know about python, because i m confusing to choosing a language plateform between java/.net/python so plz give me a good suggestion for my future. Thankyou Siddhi Sir. Thankyou So Much for these videos

347. ANTONIO BEZERRA Mon, 27 Sep 2010 09:09

Thks Siddih!!

Nice video!

345. Erik Hallsten Fri, 10 Sep 2010 00:46

quite good presentation, I bit too fast.

I must play it seweral times. My native

laguage is swedish.

Erik

good presentation

343. Mel Stoltzfus Tue, 10 Aug 2010 10:58

I really enjoyed this how to! It was simple and easy to follow. I have always wondered how to edit a web page from the brower! that is cool.

342. futureboy Sun, 08 Aug 2010 00:04

good

341. venkatesh Tue, 03 Aug 2010 00:17

useful video

i'm looking for a good video or program that will let me or gaude me to learn to program if you have somthing on mine please conctat me back i'm a new programing dud

339. Ricardo Sun, 01 Aug 2010 08:33

Slow learner allow me to play several times to start doing by myself.

Very good

Great video thanks

Great tut man, I'm really digging Django and this was very helpful.

335. Pradeep Mon, 19 Jul 2010 18:01

very well structured lecture on creating a wiki. I will try it myself.

Thanks a lot. A very good video for people who has some programming background already.

I followed the whole example and learnt a lot.

This is video very nice!

332. Fredrik Erasmus Sun, 11 Jul 2010 09:56

Great video, loved the Markdown bit!

Good tutorial

it is really helpful ! i'm a django newbie and it helped me pick up pace

329. Kevin F. Smith Wed, 16 Jun 2010 14:12

While working my way through the "Python Web Development with Django" book, this video was helpful in summarizing what I am still getting my head around. Django is a powerful tool. Thanks.

328. Rick Landau Fri, 11 Jun 2010 07:23

Very nice demo, thank you. I particularly like adding the functions one at a time as they are needed.

That was just great...

I got it, and I'm going to make a wiki soon - it's so easy!!

just like many others, I appreciated having this tutorial. one small note maxlength has been deprecated, and replaced with max_length.

Very well presented. I look forward to more Django tutorials

Regards

Steven

Thank you, excellent primer, well done

hi siddhi, i saw your video on the showmedo, that's very nice. i like to be a good python programmer like you. i am very admire your python skill, this is my email. rehmetjan#msn.com, hope we can learn more :D

great job on this tutorial, Siddhi, even after these few years :) It flows well.

Yours is the best one done on Django that I've seen so far.

321. Jockovic Sun, 30 May 2010 11:19

awesome tutorial for a beginner like me. :)

320. Lyla Moss Sat, 29 May 2010 23:34

I would like to learn programming. Complexities are not easy for me. Any suggestions?

Wow..Fantastic work

Found your tutorial more useful than the one in django's site. Thanks.

317. Adam Gaskins Wed, 19 May 2010 16:49

Great tutorial, but I'm stuck at the URL section.... Like a couple of other people here, I'm getting this error:

---

Using the URLconf defined in wikicamp.urls, Django tried these URL patterns, in this order:

1. ^wikicamp/(?P<page_name>[^/]+)/edit/$

2. ^wikicamp/(?P<page_name>[^/]+)/save/$

3. ^wikicamp/(?P<page_name>[^/]+)/$

The current URL, wikicamp/, didn't match any of these.

---

Any ideas? I'm admittedly lacking in the regex department... but I assume this is a syntax issue due to the tutorial being for an older version of Django, as I also had to use 'max_length' rather than 'maxlength', as others mentioned here.

316. pat James Wed, 19 May 2010 12:24

Great Screen Cast. Well thought out structure, that works.

Pat

gud

Learning django from your videos.

Thanks :)

Nice tutorial, helps a lot for beginners like me

Excellent!

311. Albert Stimson Fri, 23 Apr 2010 00:28

Thank you for a fabulous tutorial! I found it to be incredibly helpful and fun. I did have a couple minor issues using version 1.1 but they were easy to work around and are mostly hit in other comments. One of note: besides installing markdown (a quick google away), I ended up needing to implement that section differently - not sure why. Here's what worked for me: don't change views.py at all, and instead change view.html to contain the following instead of {{content}} (hope the forum doesn't eat the tags):

{% load markup %}

{{content|markdown}}

310. narendra Sun, 18 Apr 2010 22:11

superb

Hi Siddhi

Very good video. I learnt a lot. I like the simple approach. One question came to mind as I saw this was "How could I migrate this to production intranet website?" Securing such a site used by lots of people would be a key issue.

Thanks again. Very informative.

Regards,

Simon Westerdale

308. Dan Ciarlette Fri, 09 Apr 2010 13:01

Great video. Thanks for making it.

Hi I am Martin from the Philippines. I am self-studying programming in general . Python and Django is my current interest right now and you tutorial video is really a very big help.

Thanks a lot!

I am new in django. When I try to practice and run the wiki application, In url.py file i write the following urls...

urlpatterns = patterns('',

(r'^wikicamp/(?p[^/]+)/edit/$','wikiapp.wiki.views.edit_page'),

(r'^wikicamp/(?p[^/]+)/save/$','wikiapp.wiki.views.save_page'),

(r'^wikicamp/(?p[^/]+)/$','wikiapp.wiki.views.view_page'),

But there is errror which i cant understand.

sre_Constants.error:Unexpected end of pattern.

(r'^wikicamp/(?p[^/]+)/$','wikiapp.wiki.views.view_page'),

I use the Django-1.0.2-final.tar.gz

305. Keith Rowland Sun, 28 Mar 2010 17:35

Nice tutorial, thanks. It greatly helped showing what django does.

very good

that is great, I understand you, thank you so much!!

302. José Alejandro Carrillo Neira Tue, 23 Mar 2010 04:17

Pretty nice video. It was much simpler and more straightforward than the Django website tutorial, and it made understanding the MVC model much better.

301. jason vandecreek Fri, 19 Mar 2010 15:00

Good work. I like to subject matter of Wiki since so many existing tutorials are books or blogs.

I will be traveling to India in 2010 and have been surveying the ecosystem for python and django groups/communities in your country.

Some screencasters do post-production work. It is not always necessary, but you may try it. For example, it may be helpful to over-dub the audio on a second run thru. Your first run thru can serve as a 'script' for you to read from. This just cleans up the presentation and allows you to add emphasis and vocal inflections.

Thanks for your contribution to the community,

jason vandecreek

Thank you for interesting video. It's very useful for me and I'm very glad to see it.

bravo, excellent video

298. Billy Mac Thu, 11 Mar 2010 23:42

OUTSTANDING!

Thank-You very much, I will be watching all your tutorials and will most definitely be checking back often.

Thanks again

Very interesting and informative! I think I will take a closer look at Django now. Thanks for creating the tutorial!

Very good tutorial series. Thanks.

Excellent tutorial!

Thanks for posting this!

Thanks a lot, (:

Thanks for a great easy introduction to django.

Fantastic video thanks for sharing your knowledge

Very educational and clear screencast, thanks.

Thanks Siddhi! Your video help me a lot.

288. Hossein Kholghi Sun, 14 Feb 2010 13:13

It is a great video and I found it very helpful. Thank you so much.

Hossein Kholghi

287. Dalia Rubi sarao Cano Tue, 09 Feb 2010 13:25

h!!! my name is Dalia Rubi

286. Santhosh Ejanthkar Mon, 08 Feb 2010 00:50

Hi Siddhi, i ve seen ur video of the django to make a wiki project. its excellent. i ve just now installed python and django and i want to learn from scratch level can you help me down.

thanks & regards

Santhosh Ejanthkar

285. Hal Helms Sun, 07 Feb 2010 10:12

Very nicely done. Thanks much.

thanks

283. Ian Barrow Fri, 05 Feb 2010 15:21

Thanks very much, this filled in a lot of gaps in my initial understanding of how to get up and running with django

Thanks for this usefull stuff.

in the world of completely fucked up documentation and design changes each minor release your video is just a diamond!

I've found this tutorial helpful. Hope we have more tools like that to learn fast web apps programming with django

Really really nice. I think it's going to help a lot with convincing my groupmates to use Django for our project :-)

ur video tutorial saved my soul ............. its simply awesome .......... do upload more so that guys like us can learn !!!!!

278. Thanks For the video Mon, 01 Feb 2010 06:04

Really useful, carefully explained basic things. Pace could be faster though, but then would it be useful for complete newbies.

thanks for your tutorial. it was educational. constructive criticisms: forms module instead of hand coding, use the url tag instead of hand coding urls, blank=true in admin doesn't work

it was awesome though. it is so much more helpful to see somebody go through the process than trying to figure out by reading.

276. Ankit Srivastava Fri, 29 Jan 2010 08:39

Nice tutorial

Your video is good, I like it ;)

274. Scott Simmons Mon, 25 Jan 2010 01:11

Great tutorial! It's amazing to see that you can actually build a web site in twenty minutes. Thanks.

273. Timothy Davis Sun, 24 Jan 2010 16:34

Thanks for the overview of django! I've been looking for something like that!

Great video. Couldn't have been any clearer.

Thanks a lot..........................dear

Excellent Job

I need such type of tutorial coz am new to Django

this is very useful to me

This tutorial is a very basic for my brain!!!

Thanks, Siddhi;)

congratulations

very cool...!

268. Jon Dickinson Wed, 13 Jan 2010 14:22

I'm just getting into Python and Django and stumbled across your presentation. I really enjoyed it. Especially pulling the rabbit out of the hat with the markdown library at the end!

267. David J Sun, 10 Jan 2010 12:24

Thanks - I an a newbie programmer to Python and leave the heavy lifting to our developers. The ease with which you write code is amazing (while talking at the same time). I would probably end up copying and pasting code and then trying to find the places where I needed to edit , in order to really get this right. Nice job with the simple html.

Dave

Awesome video...really helping me get up to speed

265. anonymous Sun, 03 Jan 2010 11:32

Very good screencast! -- I'm completely new to Django, but creating something so "complex" this easily makes me want to learn more.

264. anonymous Sat, 02 Jan 2010 10:31

Hi

Fantastic video, a good starter one.

263. anonymous Thu, 31 Dec 2009 11:15

I greatly appreciated your django wiki demo. This is my first time on ShowMeDo, but I plan to come back much more =).

262. anonymous Sun, 27 Dec 2009 12:41

I seen your video for Django Tutorial with version 0.96. It's very good and easy to understand and simply you rock. Whenever you get time, please post more videos on django. Thank you so much for spending time to prepare videos and make it available for public.

Kintesh Patel

Columbus, OH USA

261. anonymous Thu, 24 Dec 2009 07:51

Very good job

260. anonymous Wed, 23 Dec 2009 22:51

Excellent. Very well explained. Good job.

259. anonymous Tue, 22 Dec 2009 22:47

Thank you for taking the time and posting this video.

258. anonymous Sun, 20 Dec 2009 11:27

Thanks for the screencast. I've never used Python or Django, but this was a nice intro, and it makes me want to play around with them.

Good work!

257. anonymous Fri, 18 Dec 2009 10:17

Nice.

256. anonymous Wed, 16 Dec 2009 23:35

Excellent and thank you

255. anonymous Wed, 16 Dec 2009 21:51

Thank you. I am moving an app from PHP to Django. Thank you for the video.

254. anonymous Tue, 15 Dec 2009 21:36

Very helpful video. I've been a Java/JSP developer whose also done some work with PHP, and wanted to get a taste of what Python web development is all about.

Most excellent video! Thanks.

252. anonymous Sat, 12 Dec 2009 09:36

How do you install markdown into python?

251. anonymous Fri, 11 Dec 2009 07:52

Thank you so much!

this tutorial is great, you helped me a lot!

250. anonymous Tue, 08 Dec 2009 20:57

I'm just getting started with Python & django, and really enjoyed this tutorial. It's got my confidence up to the point where I'm eager to dive in. Thanks so much!!

249. anonymous Sat, 05 Dec 2009 02:44

v good, thank you.!

248. anonymous Thu, 03 Dec 2009 18:13

thank you for your screencast, it really helped me understand how django worked....i was searching the web all over for this for more then ten hours!

247. anonymous Tue, 01 Dec 2009 21:10

exactly what ive been looking for at 5 am - crashcourse in django, thanks! ;-)

246. anonymous Thu, 26 Nov 2009 14:21

As a beginner in both HTML and Django,

I found your tutorial extremely helpful.

Several times I try things the diffcult way,

but then I refer to this video and remind myself

there'd be a simpler way.

Thanks a million!

245. anonymous Wed, 25 Nov 2009 07:12

This tutorial was really good. I was able to recreate the wiki, and I am not a programmer.

It would be great if you did some more, specially if you have something to add multiple uploader for files and media.

And do it as a video, the visual cues are much easier to follow and understand.

244. anonymous Wed, 25 Nov 2009 07:12

And do it as a video, the visual cues are much easier to follow and understand.

243. anonymous Tue, 24 Nov 2009 22:37

Well dude, that was really awesome, thnx)

242. anonymous Sun, 22 Nov 2009 16:04

Really excellent video!

Followed your steps and got everything working exactly as you did except for the markdown import.

Has got me going fast with Django!

241. anonymous Sat, 21 Nov 2009 15:16

Hi,

Your screencast was entertaining to watch. I am now looking into Django for the second time, with a little bit more knowledge about Python and programming in general, but it's still pretty hard to start creating own content. I am just looking for something that has batteries included to a certain extent, and I think Django is that framework. But there are still plenty of questions that need to be answered.

If you are going to be making more of these videos, I would be interested in something with user authentication. Like having a system where registered users are allowed to do something, like adding content and editing that of their own.

I'm working on an idea of having a system where registered users could give ratings to items, but it's still pretty preliminary due to almost no programming knowledge.

Have a nice weekend.

-Ove-

240. anonymous Sat, 21 Nov 2009 07:07

Very helpful

239. anonymous Fri, 20 Nov 2009 16:31

Hey I had watched about setting up a wiki using django. One of the best I should say. Neatly done siddhi. Kudos

238. anonymous Tue, 17 Nov 2009 18:14

Thanks, very imformative.

237. anonymous Tue, 17 Nov 2009 14:25

New to django. This was a great way to get my feet wet and a good video. Thanks Siddhi!

236. anonymous Mon, 16 Nov 2009 14:27

great tutorial. thanks

235. anonymous Sat, 14 Nov 2009 11:00

Cool video, really. I liked how You made mistakes and debugged it on the video - this is very good and most screencasts just don't have it. Then people don't know how to debug and fail :)

234. anonymous Fri, 13 Nov 2009 21:47

Great tutorial!

233. anonymous Tue, 10 Nov 2009 14:26

pretty good video :) thanks a lot!

232. anonymous Sun, 08 Nov 2009 11:10

good presentataion

231. anonymous Sat, 07 Nov 2009 17:19

Excellent tutorial.

One extra step I needed was to turn off autoescape in all the templates. Besides that, your tutorial is great.

Much thanks.

- Sofio

230. anonymous Mon, 02 Nov 2009 07:14

Thank you. I am new on Django and I understand the basics of it.

229. anonymous Sat, 31 Oct 2009 23:29

Thanks for this useful tutorial

228. anonymous Sat, 31 Oct 2009 04:53

fantastic, good job!

227. anonymous Tue, 27 Oct 2009 15:16

Very good tutorial. I am Novice in Django.

226. anonymous Tue, 27 Oct 2009 06:44

It made me a good idea of Django. Thxs!! :)

225. anonymous Sat, 24 Oct 2009 22:45

REally good, one thinkg though.

You should have created a base.html and extended everything you would have save the <html> etcc.. in every file

224. anonymous Fri, 23 Oct 2009 14:54

Really nice tutorial =) help me as a beginner a lil bit better to understand how django works

223. anonymous Wed, 21 Oct 2009 15:58

I just watched your first Django screencast. It was very clear and the pacing was good. Thank you! Seeing a demonstration definitely helps the reading I've been doing over at the Django site sink into my thick skull.

222. anonymous Mon, 19 Oct 2009 13:54

it is a great video! within 20 minutes, you get the skeleton of a wiki site up. Excellent. :)

221. anonymous Sun, 18 Oct 2009 01:00

Amazing video....pretty helpful!

220. anonymous Sat, 17 Oct 2009 11:44

very well done.

introduced much of the basic django syntax and structure, which is what I was looking for, while showing a useful project.

219. anonymous Fri, 16 Oct 2009 00:39

Thanks for the great django tutorial. I have been reading and following the tutorial for django. However, since I'm new to python but really believe that django add a lot to the project that I'm working on, I greatly benefited from your overall tutorial. Now things are making more sense.

Hope to see more tutorials, you have a very nice style of presenting things.

218. anonymous Tue, 13 Oct 2009 14:52

Good job. Well rehearsed and smooth. Definitely a good 1st tutorial to Django for me.

STEVE

217. anonymous Tue, 13 Oct 2009 01:57

Very nice video definitely made me decide in favor of django and python and not php and Zend Framework

216. anonymous Sat, 10 Oct 2009 10:26

Fantastic explanation. Thank you!

215. anonymous Mon, 05 Oct 2009 07:03

I've just started playin with Django... and frankly your Viduorial was an excellent start for me.... Thanks ~~ Keep up the Good Work..!!

214. anonymous Sun, 04 Oct 2009 10:18

great !

Muchas Gracias!

213. anonymous Wed, 30 Sep 2009 11:13

good show... good app

212. anonymous Fri, 25 Sep 2009 05:43

it's very good

211. anonymous Mon, 21 Sep 2009 03:28

An excellent intro.Really Easy

210. anonymous Thu, 17 Sep 2009 17:42

Great presentation! I'm off to download django.

209. anonymous Wed, 16 Sep 2009 08:51

Nice and brief - two things:

1. be nice to know if anything needs changing for Django 1.1;

2. a simple log in system would make this a really useful starter!

208. anonymous Sat, 12 Sep 2009 04:53

good... very useful

207. anonymous Fri, 11 Sep 2009 18:38

Great tutorial!!! I`m from Argentina undestanding how works Django with your video

206. anonymous Tue, 01 Sep 2009 14:35

Great video tutorial, thank you very much for taking the time to create it. looking forward to the rest of your three part series.

205. anonymous Thu, 27 Aug 2009 15:55

Great vid, finally showed me the basic setup of a Django based app. Didn't realize until now that what Django calls a View is actually a controller is most other MVC frameworks.

Again, thanks!

204. anonymous Wed, 26 Aug 2009 09:40

Great screen cast!

203. anonymous Mon, 24 Aug 2009 09:50

Excellent video. Thanks.

202. anonymous Mon, 24 Aug 2009 08:46

Thnak you for such a wonderful tutorial. I hoping to see more tutorial from you.

201. anonymous Fri, 21 Aug 2009 22:18

Good work man.

200. anonymous Wed, 12 Aug 2009 12:52

Hey Siddhi, love the tutorial, very good explanations unlike other tutorials i have seen where they fail to explain what the code does. Keep the videos coming i really like it!

199. anonymous Tue, 11 Aug 2009 22:05

I´m considering moving from Drupal to Django for my websites, and your video really showed me what I would be in for. Thanks.

198. anonymous Tue, 11 Aug 2009 14:48

Hi Siddhi,

Thank you for this video tutorial was a great basic django example that really helped me with the template side of django - though I think there's more advanced ways of passing your objects to templates, but I appreciated the simple way to build up from.

Thanks again for your valuable time and I hope to view more examples in the future.

197. anonymous Tue, 11 Aug 2009 00:03

Thanks for the video. It was very helpful (couple hiccups trying it with django 1.1 on Win (django-admin.py, not just django-admin), and max_length, not maxlength... but I think everything else worked.

196. anonymous Mon, 10 Aug 2009 07:53

Excellent

195. anonymous Sun, 09 Aug 2009 15:12

i really liked ure skreencast.

194. anonymous Sat, 08 Aug 2009 14:21

nice video , i love python and i try to learn Django , thank you all.

193. anonymous Sat, 08 Aug 2009 07:57

Hi!

Great vid. One thing that it's missing (probably because the lenght of the video) is the page that groups all the webpages into some sort of catalogue that is friendly to the viewer.

It's great vid anyways :) ty vm

192. anonymous Fri, 07 Aug 2009 08:21

excellant video, can we collaborate on django dev

191. anonymous Tue, 04 Aug 2009 12:47

This was very helpful.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

190. anonymous Thu, 30 Jul 2009 01:35

Good. thanks for the video

189. anonymous Mon, 27 Jul 2009 22:00

Enjoyed the video.

188. anonymous Sun, 26 Jul 2009 14:17

Hi,

Thanks for this video. You made it look so simpler that I wish I had seen it before I started writing my own. :-)

Thanks,

Goncalo

187. anonymous Fri, 24 Jul 2009 13:34

Thanks for the Video.

I have two new jobs, one involves me learning Django and the other involves me making a wiki. I believe I will now be able to do both at the same time. :)

186. anonymous Fri, 24 Jul 2009 10:31

Very clean and easy to understand demo. Thank you a lot!

185. anonymous Fri, 24 Jul 2009 05:50

Very good for beginers

184. anonymous Wed, 22 Jul 2009 04:35

Your tutoral is great.....really helpfull! THANKS A LOT

183. anonymous Tue, 21 Jul 2009 11:10

Very well done. Thank you.

182. anonymous Tue, 21 Jul 2009 04:47

This is a great video! Thank you for making it.

I have some experience making math videos for young people at a website I set up - mathskool.com.

Keep up the good work!

181. anonymous Wed, 15 Jul 2009 14:58

Thanks for a great tutorial. Some of the things seem to have changed with the new version of Django: where you call "from django.http import HttpResponseRedirect" and the way to get Markdown content, but this really, really, really helped this total Django NooB get over a few big hurdles.

180. anonymous Mon, 13 Jul 2009 16:36

Thank you, it was a quick and great start.

179. anonymous Sun, 12 Jul 2009 10:48

Thanks! Nice and clear. Perfect kickstart for me :)

178. anonymous Sun, 12 Jul 2009 03:45

very beautiful. i like it. it's simple for every body.

Pretty good for 20 min.

176. anonymous Mon, 06 Jul 2009 16:21

While your voice is a little hard to understand, the quality of this screencast is superb, and it has really taught me some fantastic things to do with Django.

You really have created something easy to follow and even your mistakes show something useful about the topic - a real treat to watch!

175. anonymous Sat, 04 Jul 2009 18:05

amazing stuff. it's like programming in a 4gl, programming at a conceptual level; I guess to really understand the framework's power I would have to start using it.

174. anonymous Fri, 03 Jul 2009 16:19

173. anonymous Mon, 29 Jun 2009 15:47

It was very informative video...thank you very muck

172. anonymous Mon, 29 Jun 2009 12:52

Great intro. Keeps it simple, lots of the other tutorials are too complex. Thanks for making it.

171. anonymous Sat, 27 Jun 2009 23:35

thanks

170. anonymous Wed, 24 Jun 2009 19:25

Very nice. Kind of like the TurboGears 20 Minute Wiki but for Django. Thanks!

S

169. anonymous Wed, 24 Jun 2009 07:38

hey i have come up with an error on my web page whe i try and save the content and it says

MultiValueDictKeyError at /wikicamp/Start/save/

"Key 'content' not found in <QueryDict: {}>"

can you help

other then that so far the screen cast is amazing

168. anonymous Thu, 18 Jun 2009 14:26

a couple of problems

>if i edited a page using html code the html code would show up as plain old text.

>i guess i didn't have markdown installed even though i have python 2.6... i would get error Could not import wikicate.wiki.views. Error was: No module named markdown

... Im on mac os x

I liked it, thank you

166. anonymous Mon, 15 Jun 2009 16:57

Nice tutorial...

Excellent stuff

164. anonymous Mon, 15 Jun 2009 01:11

Nice

163. anonymous Mon, 15 Jun 2009 01:10

Great stuff

162. anonymous Wed, 10 Jun 2009 12:23

Great screencast. We're trying to demo django for use at our company and this is a great quick tutorial to show how django works and a simple application in a short time frame. Thanks very much.

161. anonymous Mon, 08 Jun 2009 08:23

Great tutorial! Thank you!

nice tutorial

159. anonymous Sat, 06 Jun 2009 11:08

Good One...Any tutorial reference for ModelForm based implementation would help

158. anonymous Sat, 06 Jun 2009 10:30

you call that fast and easy?

157. anonymous Fri, 05 Jun 2009 16:10

I watched your video and surprisingly the part that I found most interesting was the mistakes you made. The stuff you get right goes like magic. However, it's the errors that we all make, no matter how simple, that we have to correct and how it disrupts our work flow that tells how good the support infrastructure is. Thank you for the video. It's a little bit much to get your head wrapped around the concept in one video, but you did a very good job explaining it. I'll probably have to watch it a few times before it all fits together.

156. anonymous Thu, 04 Jun 2009 13:42

great!

155. anonymous Thu, 04 Jun 2009 10:50

maxlength is changed to max_length in current version of django

154. anonymous Wed, 03 Jun 2009 23:59

Thank you for making this video. I am learning about Python for the first time. I have learned to program on the job and have been using visual basic 6 with SQL Server 2000, so you can imagine how nice it is for me to see the Django framework providing solutions for me that I have been having to type out by hand.

p.s. this submission form is saying that .asia is not a valid URL- please update your form to reflect the new .asia top level domain. www.alexanderfamily.asia

153. anonymous Wed, 03 Jun 2009 20:21

I think your Django wiki creation video is amazing. Easy to follow and informative. Thank you.

152. anonymous Tue, 02 Jun 2009 18:34

higly instructive video. awesome piece of work!

151. anonymous Mon, 01 Jun 2009 21:31

Fantastic, I'm just now starting to look at python. I come from a java background. Your screencast showed how quick one is able to create a simple application

150. anonymous Sun, 31 May 2009 11:10

I find your instruction easy to follow and valuable. Keep up the good work.

Regards Eugene.

149. anonymous Wed, 27 May 2009 19:00

Thanks, that was useful for introducing someone to Django for the first time. Also, there are several small changes which would make this video much more effective.

The video was unnecessarily long and repetitive due to manually typing three full HTML pages. The first one should have been copied and edited instead. The same goes for the try/except blocks in all three functions; that functionality should have been moved to its own function since it was just repeated three times.

The anti-Python tab stop of eight instead of four made it a lot harder to view the code in the small window, as well.

The use and of the page_name variable within the URL configuration and the arguments received by the view functions was never explained, which makes it a little harder to follow.

Other than those points, it is a fully functioning Web application in under 20 minutes (although removing the repetition would make it closer to 12).

148. anonymous Wed, 27 May 2009 14:37

thanks for the nice screencast on django! it was very useful! :P

147. anonymous Mon, 25 May 2009 08:31

Very nice, I loved the video. Thanks for sharing.

146. anonymous Thu, 21 May 2009 16:50

Great django tutorial in just 20 mins! I now need to find css screencasts to make this wiki look prettier.

145. anonymous Mon, 18 May 2009 16:08

Nicely done. Thanks

144. anonymous Sat, 16 May 2009 11:21

Interesting video on making a wiki. i will probably have to watch it a few times more to understand it all, but it is clear and concise.

143. anonymous Thu, 14 May 2009 05:52

Really nice and useful video! I have learnt django, but haven't done any project on it. I was looking for a video like this to get to know how to start off with a project. Thanks a lot!

142. anonymous Thu, 14 May 2009 00:44

I like it.

Regards

141. anonymous Sun, 10 May 2009 12:22

nice video.. it was very useful

140. anonymous Wed, 06 May 2009 10:31

Your django wiki screencast was great!

thankyou very much

139. anonymous Tue, 05 May 2009 23:45

Good video!

138. anonymous Sun, 03 May 2009 12:43

great concise tutorial

137. anonymous Thu, 30 Apr 2009 02:26

Good stuff, Is it available in print

136. anonymous Mon, 27 Apr 2009 23:26

Your tutorial "Creating wiki in 20 mins using django" was very useful and helped me come upto speed in a very short time. Thanks a lot for the useful tutorial. Hope to see more such useful tutorials from you.

135. anonymous Mon, 27 Apr 2009 08:58

very inspiring, i'm an asp.net devloper

i don't know django, and there are some gaps here , but its sure is inspiring !

thanks a lot!

very nice and fast , im new in django , i find such videos very helpful

133. anonymous Thu, 23 Apr 2009 11:22

I followed along with you, recreating your work. This is very powerful - Django and your hands-on tutorial. I will complete the series.

best regards.

131. anonymous Sun, 19 Apr 2009 11:11

Thank You. Very useful. And how to put a visual editor inside wiki?

129. anonymous Fri, 17 Apr 2009 16:51

Congratulations a very nice example project. I'm afraid I need something more basic. I'll revisit this video once I've learned more about Django

Preety cool. I am new to djago + python, Its really helping me out well.

Just trying to learn Django. I liked your tutorial. I would like to get a print of the tutorial if possible.

126. anonymous Tue, 14 Apr 2009 23:45

Very good tutorial

124. anonymous Mon, 13 Apr 2009 11:15

Very good, thanks!!!

Excellent - concise - thank you!

Thanks, fast overview, good flavor of programming with Django.

119. anonymous Tue, 07 Apr 2009 07:48

very helpful!

thanks

Great video for starters. Thanks for the posting

117. anonymous Wed, 01 Apr 2009 22:16

Great tutorial. If all scripting or programming tutorials would be so clear and thorough more people would be willing to start doing it.

116. anonymous Tue, 31 Mar 2009 13:14

Siddhi,

Thanks for the screencast. Now I have a better understanding of what Django actually does.

Very helpful to see someone actually use an application; makes understanding much easier.

Ken

115. anonymous Mon, 30 Mar 2009 20:04

good

114. anonymous Mon, 30 Mar 2009 10:47

Heya

I'm Pynthon and since 10 Marc 14 years old. I also want to learn Django. This is an awesome tutorial man! I first want to complete the book A byte of Python when I start learning Django. Hopefully this tutorials also works for V1 of Django. Thanks

Pynthon

113. anonymous Mon, 23 Mar 2009 13:20

very very good , thanx !

this screencast 'must watched' for beginner in Django development .

112. anonymous Mon, 23 Mar 2009 13:20

very very good , thanx !

this screencast 'must watched' for beginner in Django development .

Hello Siddihi..

I've followed the video, but it didn't work. So i tried it a 2nd time but I always have this error. The only thing I've changed was I made maxlength = max_length.

Page not found (404)

Request Method: GET

Request URL: http://localhost:8000/wikicamp/Start

1. ^wikicamp/(?P<page_name>[^/])/edit/$

2. ^wikicamp/(?P<page_name>[^/])/save/$

3. ^wikicamp/(?P<page_name>[^/])/$

Its simple n good

109. anonymous Mon, 16 Mar 2009 19:27

Good tutorial.

Hi anonymous, that functionality is there in the next video in this series :)

107. anonymous Sun, 15 Mar 2009 01:14

Great video. Would have liked to have seen functionality for embedding links to other wiki pages, particulary as a method for creating new pages. It doesn't seem that would be very hard though, in that a regular expression replacement could be performed on the content before it is rendered to the view in order to replace it with a link.

Anyway, very good, greatly appreciated.

106. anonymous Tue, 10 Mar 2009 14:17

"maxlength "was replaced in django 1.0 by "max_length", use that instead.

105. anonymous Sun, 01 Mar 2009 20:47

Dear Siddhi, I have a problem.

I'm in the very beginning - editing the models.py of my project.

When I typed the following code for my models:

class Page(models.Model):

name = models.CharField(maxlength="20", primary_key_True)

content = models.TextField(blank=True)

and tried to sync the database via the command prompt:

manage.py syncdb

It gave me this error:

__init__() got an unexpected keyword argument 'maxlength'

Do you know where the problem is?

Thank you; great vid so far.

104. anonymous Fri, 27 Feb 2009 16:29

Thank you very much! I'm debating on using one of the Ruby frameworks for a VERY simple web page, or use Django (or one of the other Python frameworks). Because of the crazy simplicity of what I need to do, and how easily it fits into Django, I'll be moving forward with Django!

103. anonymous Thu, 26 Feb 2009 00:48

This was a very informative and enjoyable screencast, thank you for making it! It covers all the basics of getting a Django site up and running. It manages to show enough detail to create your own wiki, but not too much as to overwhelm.

Can you type out the line in your code that causes the error?

101. anonymous Wed, 18 Feb 2009 20:23

I need help, I keep getting this error early on:

TypeError at /wikicamp/start/

Cannot resolve keyword 'p' into field

Python25\lib\site-packages\django\db\models\query.py in lookup_inner, line 938

What did I do wrong?

Thanks for all your hard work Siddi. This has been a lot of fun. Comment 78 was helpful also as the code changes over time.

Dear Siddhi,

I am seeng this post after long time. You have got gr8 following now. Please add some more casts on Django 1.0.

I happyly remember that rainy evening writing a mail to you ( also to Ian) requesting posting the screencast(Dont remember where i had seen , may be at your home site?!) here in in ShowMedo.

Best Regards

MVR.Murty@Bangalore, India.

98. anonymous Thu, 29 Jan 2009 15:10

Really nice screen cast! I've spend half an hour and got understanding of how Django works. I wish there had been such a movie for Catalyst then I was beginning with it.

96. anonymous Fri, 02 Jan 2009 02:13

I run into the same problems in the getting started tutorial on the Django website so you helped me solve two tutorial issues :)

Thanks for the reply Siddhi , and happy new year.

Hi anonymous,

Yes, this code is for an old version of Django. You may need to make a couple of changes to get it to work with 1.0.

However, your IndentationError is a separate error and it simply means that the indentation is not consistent. In Python, after you do the first class Page(models.Model): line the other lines in the class should be indented the same amount (usually 4 spaces)

94. anonymous Tue, 30 Dec 2008 07:06

Sorry for double posting but I just discovered that this code seems to work.

from django.db import models

class Page(models.Model):

name = models.CharField(max_length=30)

content = models.TextField(blank=True)

Is this tutorial for an old Version of Django and if so is this the correct code for 1.0?

93. anonymous Tue, 30 Dec 2008 06:57

from django.db import models

class Page(models.Model):

name = models.CharField(maxlength="30", primary_key=True)

content = models.TextField(blank=True)

Give me the error "IndentationError: unexpected indent"

What to do?

92. anonymous Sat, 27 Dec 2008 19:09

very well structured, easy to follow and perfect to get iin touch with django....thanks mate

91. anonymous Fri, 19 Dec 2008 01:27

thank you for your quick overview over django.

Very useful. It's quite an accomplishment to put so much content in a relatively brief video. I look forward to viewing the other videos in this series.

89. anonymous Mon, 13 Oct 2008 08:09

Cool!!

well done bro

never thought learning is that easy

88. anonymous Fri, 10 Oct 2008 23:54

Hey, I just solved the problem... I had a bug in the HTML.. :/

forgot an equal sign on <form (...) name"content">

87. anonymous Fri, 10 Oct 2008 23:35

Hi Siddhi.. thank you so much for the post. I am having some trouble, maybe you can help me...

I'm getting a MultiValueDictError when I try to save a new page. What could this be?

"Key 'contents' not found in <QueryDict: {u'': [u'djangoboy\\r\\n*hello there']}>"

Request Method: POST

Request URL: http://127.0.0.1:8000/wikicamp/Planoa/save/

Exception Type: MultiValueDictKeyError

Exception Value:

86. anonymous Sun, 21 Sep 2008 18:28

Wow Cool !

Super Man

Nice Site

85. anonymous Sun, 07 Sep 2008 12:28

Thank you, very helpful.

84. anonymous Fri, 15 Aug 2008 15:08

very nice. thanks for putting this together. now i'm definitely going to make my own wiki

Thanks so much, it's helpful...

82. anonymous Fri, 13 Jun 2008 11:27

Awesome tutorial! Thanks a lot.

None of the files you upload are directly accessible from the Internet in a Django configuration if you setup everything correctly. All the requests go via urls.py then to views.. the requests wont access the physical files directly. So you can't do www.blah.com/settings.py .. it will give an error.

Its not like the normal static html site where you access the file directly from the URL and display it to the user.

Of course, this assumes that the setup of the server etc is done correctly.

79. anonymous Mon, 12 May 2008 21:06

@siddhi:

Maybe I'm still not understanding, but if you copy the wikicamp folder to the host, that means the settings file will be uploaded to the host as well, and thus accessible from the internet? I guess you can probably change the file settings of the settings document so people can't access it, but is that secure enough?

@anonymous (#126) : It depends on the hosting provider. You typically need to do some setup with Apache and django and all that. I use WebFaction as my host and they automate all of that. Then you can just copy the folder to the host. About the settings file, it is not accessible from the Internet. Unless someone has the username/password to your server, they cant read it.

77. anonymous Sun, 11 May 2008 13:08

That’s quite an improvement.

76. anonymous Thu, 08 May 2008 23:29

quick question:

if you're using a hosting service which supports django, can you just upload your folder to the host server and should everything work?

also, in the settings file, if you're not using sqlite, you need to enter your database information including password. is it safe/secure to have this file available on your server where people can access it?

maybe im just misundersanding this....

75. anonymous Sat, 19 Apr 2008 17:49

Review of Learn Django: Create a Wiki in 20 minutes

Quite well done, esp. how you make the URLs, which "require" that you make the views, which in turn lead to making the template; all very logical!

74. anonymous Sun, 13 Apr 2008 03:05

Awesome tut!

73. anonymous Thu, 10 Apr 2008 04:33

Thanks, it works now!

@anonymous: The new versions of Django automatically escape the content (it was not so when the screencast was recorded). In the new one, you need to mark the content as safe. In view.html, change {{content}} to {{content|safe}}. That tells Django that the content contains HTML and we don't want Django to automatically escape the content.

71. anonymous Wed, 09 Apr 2008 12:21

This is a great tutorial!

Just one question...in the tutorial when html was input into the textfield, the updated page showed the rendered html.

When I do it, it just shows the html as plain text.

Does anyone know why that happens?

70. anonymous Mon, 31 Mar 2008 17:35

Dude... You so need to improve your typing speed... this tutorial would finish in 1/4th of time with your improved type speed! Please take this comment seriously!

Great tutorial... more interesting than the To Do list on the django site. Thanks!

I had just written down the review and I realized that a novice should know that he has to install the Markdown module available from http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=153041

It would be sad if someone goes to that extent and not be able to finish the implementation.

All the same thanks for the nice tutorial. It is really good.

Review of Learn Django: Create a Wiki in 20 minutes

Thanks Siddi I had just come across Django yesterday and had to wrestle with the Manual to understand the methods. Your tutorial has really clarified my idea of the subject.

Keep up the good work.

Just came to this page and saw the comment count at 99, so thought why not add the 100th :)

Thanks a lot for all the comments and support!

Hi anon...you don't need to buy anything to watch most of our videos - most of our content is made on open-source topics, by open-source authors, freely available to all.

This (and other) videos are all working, I've just tried them.

Do you have a working Adobe Flash viewer?

Feel free to join the ShowMeDo Learners group (http://groups.google.com/group/showmedo-learners) if you'd like help getting the videos to work on your machine.

64. anonymous Mon, 10 Mar 2008 14:35

Review of Learn Django: Create a Wiki in 20 minutes

None of the videos I've tried on this site (my first visit) work. Do I need to pay first, or be a member, or is something awry at the moment? Looks like a great site otherwise, albeit quite slow too!

Siddhi the great, What an audience. You better hide your face on the streets, because you are already a celebrity! Seriously!

62. anonymous Mon, 21 Jan 2008 23:39

Hi -

Glad you included the typos (could have introduced more, just to go thru that process a bit).

For markup - now it's added as a filter in the view page.

-- add django.contrib.markup to INSTALLED_APPS;

-- add "{% load makrup %}" to view.html

-- filter content in view.html: {{content|markdown}}

Thanks much!

61. anonymous Sat, 05 Jan 2008 17:33

Thank you for this demo. I'm surely now going to try the django framework myself. Thanks

60. anonymous Thu, 03 Jan 2008 07:42

Review of Learn Django: Create a Wiki in 20 minutes

Siddhi,

thank you!

thanks siddhi, i've discovered that i made a typo and django is really great :D

Hi kuzuk,

You need to ensure that you set the variable

page = Page.objects.get...

before you use the variable. Maybe you made a typo there, like

pag = Page.objects.get...

and then used page later on?

hey,whenever I try to view and create a page,I get an

"UnboundLocalError at /wikican/Start/

local variable 'page' referenced before assignment" error

56. anonymous Wed, 21 Nov 2007 18:03

Great tutorial. Very helpful in learning and understanding django

55. anonymous Tue, 20 Nov 2007 10:26

Good job! Thanks :-)

54. anonymous Sat, 17 Nov 2007 01:26

Excellent Work! I spen about 10 hours figuring basic djangoand making only small progress. Then I hit this video This video saved many many hours

In few words, the most successful screencast until now.

52. anonymous Mon, 12 Nov 2007 00:15

Brilliant mate, it was nice learning from you! hope to see some more in the future!

Wow - 50 comments! Siddhi, I think you've just created the most-commented (and most-thanked) video on the site :-)

Please make more Django screencasts!

Incredible piece of work... your errors were anticipated and you used them as demonstrations of errors to avoid PLUS you showed us how to fix them...

I'm very impressed! Nearly 20 minutes of pure instruction!

Do more screencasts! Please!

49. anonymous Sun, 28 Oct 2007 22:19

Great Tutorial! Thanks!

48. anonymous Wed, 10 Oct 2007 01:37

schweet, thanks a lot for taking the time

nyc

47. anonymous Mon, 01 Oct 2007 01:22

Siddi

-----------

Good Job !!!!

Thanks for all the comments!

I've done a second screencast in this series that extends this wiki app and covers the basics of template inheritance, filters and newforms.

Check it out here - http://showmedo.com/videos/video?name=1100010&fromSeriesID=110

45. anonymous Tue, 11 Sep 2007 02:37

well done

44. anonymous Mon, 10 Sep 2007 13:25

Thank you! Nice job.

43. anonymous Tue, 04 Sep 2007 07:10

Siddhi, congratulations, a great job!!

42. anonymous Mon, 03 Sep 2007 06:27

When developing web apps, make sure to escape variable contents

{{ page_name|escape }}

Siddhi - just to say that *wow* you have the most-played video (for the last month) on ShowMeDo by a *long* way:

Well done!

40. anonymous Thu, 23 Aug 2007 10:33

Cool one.. [:)]

39. anonymous Mon, 20 Aug 2007 15:47

I've seen several videos along the same lines to introduce various frameworks, but yours is by far the best. It's clear and concise.

Many thanks!

Sorry, *Siddhi* :)

Thanks, siddi.

For Installation under windows (including installation of python, subversion, django, [apache, mod_python]) this tutorial is a quite good one (looking forward to an all-in-one installer):

(I installed SQLite instead of PostgreSQL). Read the whole tut and the comments first. *use Subversion* to install Django. The current Installer for Subversion (Windows) is *here*:

(if this link has expired, try:

...on the File tree expand 'releases', click on the windows Folder. the 'Windows installer with the basic win32 binaries' should be the right for u. Current version is svn-1.4.4-setup.exe)

Nils (2007.08.18)

Hi Siddhi, I see that your video has been listed in another voting site. It has several votes and an 'increasing smile count' (whatever that is...):

34. anonymous Mon, 13 Aug 2007 02:41

thank u very much, it was really helpful

but could u help me in internationalization, i'm stuck there

Great, it'll be lovely to see a continuation. I'm sure Jacob Kaplan-Moss and the rest of the Djangoers will be similarly happy.

Yeah, I have some ideas for a Part 2, but I'm really caught up with some work right now... I should have a bit of time in a week or two.

Rocking? Crikey - Siddharth gets over 100 plays per day (one of our highest) and that's with only 1 link in the Django update blog post.

Think what we could get if Siddharth made part 2 and the pair were added to the DjangoProject web site :-)

Siddharth - any idea if/when you might make Part 2? You've certainly captivated a *lot* of people with your first video!

30. anonymous Wed, 08 Aug 2007 03:13

Wow! I've never seen a software being developed so fast!

Dear Siddarth,

Gr8 work. See, as I had suggested, your post is rocking in this forum.

-MVR.Murty@Bangalore

Siddhi thank you for posting this nice and quick Django intro!

Fine Video!

Django web applications are easy deployable: For example with Instant Django:

Hi Siddhi, I'm just testing a new piece of code that auto-htmlifies a web address. This is a real link to your DZone posting:

Do feel free to Edit this video description to include this link with a request asking visitors to go Vote for you.

Brilliant video! Thank you. Do more please!!

show your talent,so we can further study!

23. anonymous Tue, 31 Jul 2007 21:41

That was great Siddi,Thanks!

22. anonymous Tue, 31 Jul 2007 21:19

Very nice!

Greetings from Brazil!

21. anonymous Mon, 30 Jul 2007 11:48

Nice job--but really finish the most basic features, you'd want to make CamelCase words auto-links.

20. anonymous Mon, 30 Jul 2007 08:01

Great Video. I have always been going circles over Php Vs Rails Vs Django.

The only thing php helps me is lot of programmers know that.

Django seems pretty sleak and exciting.

19. anonymous Mon, 30 Jul 2007 08:01

Great Video. I have always been going circles over Php Vs Rails Vs Django.

The only thing php helps me is lot of programmers know that.

Django seems pretty sleak and exciting.

17. anonymous Sat, 28 Jul 2007 05:30

Brilliant screencast. Well done Siddhi

Ian, I did that already, the link is here - http://www.dzone.com/links/screencast_learn_django_create_a_wiki_in_20_minut.html

Very cool, thanks!

Well done. Thanks, Siddhi!

Siddhi, you might want to post an entry at DZone announcing your video - it is like Reddit, for programmers.

Our other Django video:

did very well there and that link still brings in visitors all these months later.

Nice screencast! Keep up the good work!

11. anonymous Thu, 26 Jul 2007 13:51

Norman

Siddhi - just so you know, I have blogged about your video so it'll go to the Planet Python aggregators and I have posted an entry on the comp.lang.python.announce list.

9. anonymous Thu, 26 Jul 2007 10:14

Hi Siddhi, Hi guys

I hope you make another tutorial or a part 2.

Here is Markdown in Python: http://www.freewisdom.org/projects/python-markdown/Installation

I quite agree, I'd like to see a continuation episode too,

7. anonymous Thu, 26 Jul 2007 09:11

Part 2 ! Everybody stands up for part 2 !!!

Thanks siddhi very well explained.

Daniele

(The one who asked for this video long time ago)

6. anonymous Thu, 26 Jul 2007 04:25

Very nice! Big thanks! Looking forward to see more (especially about newforms!)

Przemek

Thanks for the comments. Perhaps we can have a Part 2 which builds a few more features on this application..

Great job. It would be interesting to see how you handle Tiny instead markdown and tagging.

3. anonymous Wed, 25 Jul 2007 10:31

Nicely done. Would be interesting to see how to delete pages, and how to construct a wiki sitemap

2. anonymous Wed, 25 Jul 2007 09:01