Name: [709] Jeff Rush
Description: Greetings. I'm the (former) Python Advocacy Coordinator and a strong supporter of screencasts. I'm also the organizer of the Dallas-Ft. Worth Pythoneers and was con chair for PyCon 2006 and 2007 in Dallas. I'm also an independent consultant and work in the areas of Python/Zope, embedded Linux s ...

The 'IPython' Interactive Shell - Part 1 [ID:321] (1/5)

in series: A Demonstration of the 'IPython' Interactive Shell

video tutorial by Jeff Rush, added 07/07

A usage walkthru showing the use of the enhanced interactive shell named IPython. Divided into five parts, this talk in the series will cover tab completion, namespace management, logging, the help system and introspection.

This series is a follow-on to the talk "5-Minutes with Python and the Interactive Shell 'IPython'" which gave an overview as a slideshow of the features of IPython.

NOTE: The portions of this talk series that demonstrate access to the underlying operating system shell utilize Linux and the bash shell.

Excellent.

Nice video, very helpful, thanks. Will certainly watch the rest.

71. jamil egdemir Mon, 19 Jul 2010 09:56

very nice little vid Jeff. thank you for the work you put in. I'll be watching the rest of them for sure.

Thank you for this video!

69. reader@spiegel.de Tue, 01 Jun 2010 15:01

A nice and comfortable video-howto, thanx alot!

Great stuff, thanks! :)

Only minor issue I sent you email about, re: the 5-minute overview you mention, and which seems to be on your page, (with your name under it) but links to some 5-minute video by someone else... not a huge deal, obviously.

Much appreciated!

- Andrew

67. Wai Yip Tung Tue, 04 May 2010 16:32

Thank you for making this video. IPython strike me as something that could be incredibly useful. But I've never have enough sustained interest to learn and use it effectively. I think your video really help to initiate me to the tool. Looking forward for the next part of the video.

very good, and informative video. thank god that there are people like you that love what they do enough to want to explain it to other people. thank you.

65. Alejandro Sat, 17 Apr 2010 03:08

I want more!!!

64. Henri Serindat Sat, 10 Apr 2010 16:53

I use python for 2 years.

Interested by mathplotlib which brought me to ipython and then to your video.

Your demo provides a fast look at what ipython does and one has only to remember what seems mandatoty.

Nice job.

63. Tim Jones Fri, 02 Apr 2010 17:43

Thanks for the video. I'm new to python and trying to find the best ways to learn the language. IPython looks like a great tool.

62. Pierre Thibault Tue, 30 Mar 2010 04:48

I am discovering iPython with your videos. I think iPython is awesome! At first, it is a bit difficult because you have to know commands to use it. I did watch the first video many times. There is lots of stuff in it.

It is really cool because iPython is like having a shell with the power of Python.

I think you should mention that usual console edition keys are working in iPython.

If I do %store x > something, I don't know how to load it. May be you should tell.

Thank a lot Jeff. People like you make Python a great community. I hope to see you at Montreal Python. We have a great community here in Montreal, Quebec, Canada.

I think I'll probably do a flash presentation of iPython in our next meeting. I'll mention your videos.

Great overview!

60. Sean Murphy Wed, 17 Feb 2010 16:07

Hi! Just watched the first of your IPython series. Looking forward to watching the rest. Screencasts rule!

59. Mailson Lira Fri, 12 Feb 2010 19:18

Amazing introduction to IPython. Just loved it!

58. Jaime Velez Fri, 12 Feb 2010 18:12

Thanks for sharing your expertise. I learned and enjoyed your video.

57. Jacob Silva Mon, 01 Feb 2010 06:38

Awesome Job!

56. thiamwah Sun, 24 Jan 2010 07:08

enjoyed it ; well done. IF you ever in Singapore i buy u a beer !

55. John Battle Wed, 20 Jan 2010 15:12

Enjoyed the first one very much. Thanks a lot. One very tiny comment: You mentioned that you used emacs as your editor, how did you change it from vi?

54. anonymous Tue, 29 Dec 2009 02:34

Jeff, I'm looking for an IDE that can help my son learn to program. This looks interesting; I'll give it a shot! Thanks.

53. anonymous Sat, 28 Nov 2009 13:42

a good demonstration - would have taken me at least a couple of extra hours to work out on my own. Thankyou.

52. anonymous Tue, 17 Nov 2009 07:41

muy bueno para los que estamos empezando a conocer esta herramienta tan versatil para programar

51. anonymous Tue, 17 Nov 2009 07:40

50. anonymous Fri, 06 Nov 2009 21:13

good intro... on to #2!

49. anonymous Sun, 27 Sep 2009 23:53

Amazing stuff

This cuts down hours of work involved in finding the right place to start and the right time and the right blah...

Thanks Jeff,

Python makes life easy. At a higher level, comes iPython. And even higher, YOU (<- whatever that meant ;-) )

Thanks again.

48. anonymous Sun, 27 Sep 2009 16:05

Very nice tutorial on iPython, very clear, I like to use it.

I am very new with Python and I discover how powerful this language is.

After more than 10 years developing with Java I am now become a fan or Python.

47. anonymous Mon, 21 Sep 2009 13:21

I'm sold. Thanks!

45. anonymous Wed, 16 Sep 2009 15:21

You inspired me to try ipython :)

44. anonymous Wed, 09 Sep 2009 04:15

Really enjoyed ipython video 1/5...eye opening stuff. e.g. the ability to open the source of a function in a text editor like "edit -x re.match" is awesome...

43. anonymous Wed, 26 Aug 2009 05:56

Excellent intro to IPython!

42. anonymous Mon, 24 Aug 2009 12:00

Very useful. Thanks!

41. anonymous Sat, 15 Aug 2009 23:53

Nice video, thanks. BTW, my background is black (using windows) how do I make it white?

I Thank you too, you showed me how great was IPython after I thought it was just the same as python

39. anonymous Tue, 11 Aug 2009 05:32

Thank you for make your tutorial available and congratulations, it is very good!

38. anonymous Wed, 05 Aug 2009 20:32

I just found out your screencast about IPython. I watched the first part and I will watch all the others. It's very useful and well done.

Thanks a lot!

Nicolas

37. anonymous Fri, 03 Jul 2009 15:06

just started ramping up on python. the videos on this site are great help!

36. anonymous Tue, 30 Jun 2009 07:11

Useful and professionally done.

35. anonymous Sat, 20 Jun 2009 04:13

great screencast!!

please increase the audio volume..:(

34. anonymous Thu, 18 Jun 2009 08:36

It is a cool IPython workshop ! Jjust what I was looking for on the web. I'm through the first video sofar and I like it very much . Thanks Jeff. Keep a good work!

33. anonymous Mon, 15 Jun 2009 20:55

Useful intro.

32. anonymous Sun, 07 Jun 2009 10:45

Good Work.

31. anonymous Fri, 05 Jun 2009 11:14

thanks

30. anonymous Thu, 28 May 2009 06:26

good voice!

29. anonymous Sat, 09 May 2009 20:07

Absolute lifesaver. I have been struggling all morning long with ipython and in just FIVE MINUTES I now feel comfortable navigating around. I can't wait to watch the other episodes.

28. anonymous Sun, 12 Apr 2009 16:00

Marvellous.

To be honest, formerly I used only tab completion some magic in IPython.

Now I see how powerfull it really is

Very informative about IPython. I had not looked at this before but may download or look into using the IPython

excellent video. Geared to the novice (which is what I am.)

Great teaching on this subject.

23. anonymous Sun, 01 Feb 2009 14:30

Jeff:

Thank you so much for taking the time to make such an amazingly helpful series: I had no idea that such a powerful tool existed!!

FYI - apparently the folks who make Django are also big fans: if you have Ipython installed on your system the Django Shell will use it automatically : )

I couldn't agree more with the previous comments! Really helpful!!

its a perfect video

20. anonymous Wed, 03 Dec 2008 21:44

Anon, I wasn't aware of an anti-IPython movement, on #python or elsewhere. I've googled for such comments but not found any significant opposition to IPython.

If anyone is aware of such a discussion thread, I'd like to read it.

19. anonymous Wed, 03 Dec 2008 09:23

excellent.

But the anti iPython movement seems to be growing lead by a few hardcores in #python.

WOW, I've been using ipython for a couple of years, and in 15 minutes I realized I'm not even using a 10th of what is there. I can't wait to see what's in the other 4. NICE JOB

Review of The 'IPython' Interactive Shell - Part 1

Excellent! From just this first video of the series of five, I learned much more about IPython than I had expected to, and several useful tricks.

Now, on to #2!

16. anonymous Sun, 22 Jun 2008 19:13

Thank you!

There's a lot of informations here! Great video tky.

14. anonymous Wed, 27 Feb 2008 02:54

Review of The 'IPython' Interactive Shell - Part 1

Great work, it saves me a lot of time.

Recorded for posterity - your 'insanely great' Ipython videos are noted at O'Reilly by Noah Gift:

Good job Jeff,

Nice intro to IPython.

huge timesaver - thanks

10. anonymous Mon, 15 Oct 2007 18:32

Very good. Very enjoyable. Learned a lot. Thanks, Jeff!

Jeff, thanks for these videos. They are very helpful and informative. Your efforts here are much appreciated. Keep 'em comin!

8. anonymous Tue, 25 Sep 2007 05:41

Thank you for this tutorial. I didn't know how powerful IPython is.

7. anonymous Mon, 03 Sep 2007 16:49

Yes, I have to agree: This is a fantastic series on IPython. I am quite new to Python (and IPython) but it seems IPhython to be an extremely powerful platform to start diving into the code. :-)

6. anonymous Fri, 24 Aug 2007 17:35

A first class introduction to a first class piece of software. More please!

5. anonymous Tue, 14 Aug 2007 03:46

I'm new to all of this and you have great resource for getting started. Thanks.

Thanks kindly for taking the time, Jeff. As a new Python user, iPython is an invaluable learning tool, and I probably never would have discovered so much of its functionality without these videos.

Looking forward to the Source Walkthrough series!

3. anonymous Sun, 05 Aug 2007 08:13

absolutely wonderful!

2. anonymous Sat, 28 Jul 2007 01:34

I'm obviously biased (I'm the original IPython author :), but I have to say that that I loved the videos. And honestly, I (re)learned a few tricks along the way! Over the years IPython has grown quite a bit, other developers have contributed features, and there are things I'd just forgotten!

So many thanks to Jeff for the great job, and I hope others find these useful.

If you want to take your Python coding to the next level, check out these 5 videos. They show how to use IPython as a real development system without putting all that furniture between you and the code. IPython and a good programming editor make a great learning environment, and a lot of pros use it for development as well. I use IPython quite a bit, but I found that there was a lot that I didn't know. Study these 5 videos. They will repay the effort.

Thanks Jeff